PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Kain: Defiance thoughts

garbagefanuk
25th May 2003, 21:20
I have looked at the trailer and screenshots and i must say i am a little troubled by what i see. Putting aside that its LOK, it looks like they have moved the game into a Devil May Cry style scrolling slash em up and i am worried about this. To me the whole appeal of the LOK series was the story, not how many bad guys i can cut up in one scene. And i know a few of u will say "well u have only seen a few screenshots and a trailer so u can't judge off that" and by a few of u, i have exact people in mind cos i now wot ur like. Anyway, the screenshots are supposed to captivate me into buying the game and most people play the game because they love the story so why only put in mindless violence? I know it would be hard to fit in ingame sequences of the story or something but u could have tried.

Another thing that has me abit unsure is the inclusion of both characters in one game. Soul Reaver and Blood Omen were incredible because they focused on one character and followed there story of highs and lows. I don't have much info so i'm not too worried about this yet but i don't want it too be a Resident Evil 2 style game using 2 view points and not finishing the story off like the last 2 games...

OK... any critisism and hate abuse to me for voicing my views on the new LOK game is welcome ;)

Till then stay happy children

KoolKat_EF
25th May 2003, 21:33
Hmm, I see what you mean by that. I have to admit I'm also a little taken back by what I am seeing. I too, think that games that involve only mindless fighting are pointless and I think the games are better when concentrated upon a single character.

But then again, I trust Eidos and Crystal Dynamics. They've kept the series to high quality so far, it is unlikely they will fall now.

Hang in there - I'm sure it'll be good. ;)

someguysteve
25th May 2003, 22:36
in all of the previews i've seen the total time adds up to a couple of minutes leaving plenty of time for a story, don't worry. right now they only show fighting so they don't give away any part of the story. right there is focus on the fighting because it was lacking in the previous games while the story has been good and doesn't really need advertisements, its already expected

garbagefanuk
25th May 2003, 22:45
we must have played different games cos in the last 2 LOK sequels i played there was more than enough fighting and just because something is expected doesn't mean its included... i expected capcom to take the critisism of the first DMC having zero story and try a wee bit harder on the second... if anything the second is worse than the first. like i sed, i only saw a few clips and all i saw was fighting but i don't want just fighting. a few clips of raziel or kain talking to someone or something new to peek our interests isn't to much is it? all i see when i look at it is a funky looking souped up version of SR and BO. Nothing else, but i shall withold final judgement till i play it

Sarah
25th May 2003, 22:48
I think you should keep in mind that all of what you are seeing is from very early-on in the development of the game; it's going to be very raw looking, and you really should not judge the game based on these incredibly early images.
From what I have seen, I'm actually enjoying the change in the camera and action-they did put all those beautiful details in previous games, and you never really got a chance to appreciate them(a fav. thing I like to do in SR2-get the light reaver, and then just go around looking at detail in the levels...silly, I know); too, the action of the previous games has been a little bit lacking-story has been great, but I think with this game they are hoping to finally achieve a balanced game: Great story, great action, and a camera that isn't all wonky.

blincoln
25th May 2003, 22:49
If you read the text of the previews, you'll see that Crystal Dynamics wants to keep the story secret for now. Since it can't be revealed by the magazines and websites, obviously most of what they show is going to be visual material like the action and environments.

Umah Bloodomen
26th May 2003, 01:28
Say it with me: Capatialism.

Although personally, I am not worried that the story will be lost in the midst of the DMC-style action, I am personally getting the impression that this title will be the one to put the LOK series on the map (as far as making it appeal to a much broader audience - in a TR/DMC sense).

How much money do you think DMC (the first one) made? You have to admit, it's a hell of a game in its ownright. It sold an insane amount of copies and has great gameplay and the story isn't horrible (it's not on the same level as LOK though, I'll admit).

I suppose to an extent resorting to the same tactic as another title, is somewhat of a sellout, however, the story will prevent LOKD from becoming a total one.

I think a lot of individuals saw the DMC-similarity (from the numerous articles) and are just assuming it's going to be another Dante adventure to the 'T'. There's going to be some similarities, but not enough to warrant skeptical feedback this early on. The more time you spend worrying about it, the less likely you're going to be to fully enjoy the game, IMO.

I also concur with Sarah's sentiments. It's a bit unfair to judge the title at this point just on 20 rough images plastered all over the web and in various publications. Does a house look perfect when you lay the foundation and just begin to frame it? **enter 'NO' here**

Give it a break and be a little more open-minded read between the lines of the information already presented as opposed to reading it for what it is. There's a bigger picture here that none of us are aware of, and you'll be a lot less intimidated in the long run.

NightChyld
26th May 2003, 04:46
Enough is enough....

Can we please stop the reviews of a game we haven't even played the demo for? Ok, so the fighting is amped up. BE GLAD!! If I had to play one more LOK game where all you do is *hit, hit, kick, suck* or whatever, I would just get sick. So until you, not the roomate of a friend of a friend, plays the game, just keep your repetative, gotta-cry-about-everything attitude to your self. The same team is working on it, the same Amy is there, and all we need to do is smile, relax, and get ready for another chapter of LOK. Be it good or bad.

That's all folks!

garbagefanuk
26th May 2003, 20:35
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
Say it with me: Capatialism.

Although personally, I am not worried that the story will be lost in the midst of the DMC-style action, I am personally getting the impression that this title will be the one to put the LOK series on the map (as far as making it appeal to a much broader audience - in a TR/DMC sense).

How much money do you think DMC (the first one) made? You have to admit, it's a hell of a game in its ownright. It sold an insane amount of copies and has great gameplay and the story isn't horrible (it's not on the same level as LOK though, I'll admit).

I suppose to an extent resorting to the same tactic as another title, is somewhat of a sellout, however, the story will prevent LOKD from becoming a total one.

I think a lot of individuals saw the DMC-similarity (from the numerous articles) and are just assuming it's going to be another Dante adventure to the 'T'. There's going to be some similarities, but not enough to warrant skeptical feedback this early on. The more time you spend worrying about it, the less likely you're going to be to fully enjoy the game, IMO.

I also concur with Sarah's sentiments. It's a bit unfair to judge the title at this point just on 20 rough images plastered all over the web and in various publications. Does a house look perfect when you lay the foundation and just begin to frame it? **enter 'NO' here**

Give it a break and be a little more open-minded read between the lines of the information already presented as opposed to reading it for what it is. There's a bigger picture here that none of us are aware of, and you'll be a lot less intimidated in the long run.

Ah there u are and the first of the people i knew would complain about my thoughts. I have not judged the game, it was simply a thought on it (if u would read the thread title is says thoughts) Ur right i havn't seen much material and to be frank ur right i can't judge it on what i have seen, thats why i sed i will wait till i have played it before i give my final judgement but my point was it looks exactly like i'm playing DMC, the camera, the fighting scenes and i really don't like DMC, the story was almost nonexistant and things were left unexplained. I enjoyed the previous LOK titles but to make a game based on another game that people agree sucked and only redeeming feature is the cool moves is abit strange to me.

fneh
26th May 2003, 21:18
I'm sick of seeing this crap all over the place. They improve the goddamn game so it plays as well as the story tells and you're COMPLAINING?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?

Chris already said the story isn't going to suffer as a result of the improved gameplay. Why don't you believe him? Have you played a beta version of the game with cutscenes intact from start to finish? NO! so stop reviewing it as being weak on story when you know damn well the story is what makes LOK what it is.

(and with this post I'm leaving.)

Umah Bloodomen
26th May 2003, 21:31
Originally posted by garbagefanuk
Ah there u are and the first of the people i knew would complain about my thoughts. I have not judged the game, it was simply a thought on it (if u would read the thread title is says thoughts) Ur right i havn't seen much material and to be frank ur right i can't judge it on what i have seen, thats why i sed i will wait till i have played it before i give my final judgement but my point was it looks exactly like i'm playing DMC, the camera, the fighting scenes and i really don't like DMC, the story was almost nonexistant and things were left unexplained. I enjoyed the previous LOK titles but to make a game based on another game that people agree sucked and only redeeming feature is the cool moves is abit strange to me.

I read the thread and the title, and as I take a break from adhering to my infamous List of the Ignored (TM) for a moment to directly respond to you this time around, you will notice that my own *thoughts* were added more to build on what Sarah has said (on account I actually value her opinion). But of course the un-openminded are quick to lash out against me, instead of the other individuals who actually said much of what I did, before I did.

And I also concur with fneh on this issue. I suppose Chris' word isn't good enough for you, nor will it be, hence the action of creating yet another thread involving this topic. And a last bit of advice, sometimes it does pay to read other topics, before repeating yourself and subjecting yourself to the critical response of others. If you don't want an opinion, don't post.

**Goes back to adhering to her List of The Ignored (TM) and follows fneh out the door**

Omega
26th May 2003, 23:42
Personally, I don't give a damn what 'style' (and I say that loosely) Defiance is. I already know it's going to be one hell of a major game.

If you don't like the look of it now, wait until more information/demos/videos etc are released, and if you still don't like it, fine. Don't buy it.

I know I will be. Hell, I'll even get it for X-Box and PC.

Apocrypha Roxy
27th May 2003, 00:05
I'm getting it for both PS2 and PC, also.

I find no evidence of Defiance going to be lacking in storyline. The story is what makes it Legacy of Kain in the first place. It wouldn't be the same without it. In fact, the new combat style will only ENHANCE an already great game series.

So, try not to get your panties in a twist. Wait until it's out, then judge it.

"Try it, you'll like it!" :D
"He likes it - hey Mikey!" :D :p

And out of morbid curiosity... ;)

How many people do you have on the List, Umah?

-sneaks out the back door with fneh and Umah, swinging door smacking into her nose-

Ow. That smarts... :(

Umah Bloodomen
27th May 2003, 00:39
26 and counting, Roxy. And each one of them I do not directly associate with in these forums (except where I state where and why I am doing it - which has been three times so far). Five of them carry over to other forums in which I visit.

I find it better to ingore these individuals as opposed to lashing out at them as I used to. No sense adding to the melodrama around here. My forum ventures have been so much more peaceful since I started adding names, too. :D