PDA

View Full Version : new HUD?

Uncle Ben's Rocket
20th May 2003, 22:26
Well, whats with it?
I liked the first one better where it tells you the location of body damage. I know from pervious screenshots that the alpha musta had an hud similar to the first game but the new one is all circular and crap. I thought the targeting system was interesting, a bead of blueish translucence. My thoughts were that focusing emulated that on a camera where the bead would be even and clear when zeroed in. Call me crazy but that would be an interesting twist on a wrold where fps' have simple "+"-type crosshairs. The newest version of the HUD looks like it could get annoying after hours of gameplay through tubular vision. Gimme back my old HUD ion storm! Anyways, someone in the knowhow fill me in. Confused I might be.

Leo
21st May 2003, 07:16
under options in the game should be classic and new hud styles, in some newer gamesone can change crasshair too ... I do not worry bout the HUD but the gameplay, I do not want yet another Quake or sth with shooring and no strategies at all :( ... Like the ppl around here say: "Open fight is not interesting."

NoNicknameForMe
21st May 2003, 19:47
I liek it, it remyndes me ov star wars and luke when he gaev teh cookie tew Bob paieg in the starshop galactika.

daranz
21st May 2003, 21:28
The HUD looks nice. It gives you the whole "I have a computer in my head" feeling. Only thing that bothers me is that I can see only 5 inventory slots on the HUD. In DX1 even 9 wasn't enough for me, and now they reduced it to 5?

Uncle Ben's Rocket
22nd May 2003, 07:42
"I have a computer in my head" Cyborg interface simply doesn't intrigue me. Especially when it takes up much of the screen. Ill go classic, if it really is a choice.
Off topic..
Does anyone think deus ex promoted drug abuse? Maybe its just me but going around drunk as a bum with a shotgun was fun. Besides I think some of the members here are shooting up on zyme or somethin. Reminds me of High school...
star wars and luke when he gaev teh cookie tew Bob paieg in the starshop galactika.

grufle
28th May 2003, 11:31
Def. the first one

Neutrino
28th May 2003, 15:35
I don't like the look of the new HUDD at all... It's completely irritating and interferes with the environment... I can do without the "ooh cool" I have a nanoimplant contact lense type of visual system that obscures my vision of the world..

An open, mindless, shoot fest is not interesing at all... A complete bore. Another mindless action game, and action games completely suck...

sean74
28th May 2003, 23:18
HUD
I'm trying hard to resist the "I hate this because it's different" type mentality people tend to have. But I have to agree, this HUD is bad. You should not have things going up the side of the screen ruining your already limited peripheral vision. If the team is set on this interface they need to make it optional.

Not changing enough
Unfortunately if the developer team doesn't make enough innovative changes, people will end up blasting them for it.
Though if you look at the similiarity between Fallout and Fallout2 there really wasn't all that many changes made, and you really can't fault them for it. Both games are great.

Polls
If you don't mind the constructive criticism: This poll is flawed. A poll should have mutually exclusive responses. I both thought that Deus Ex was the greatest game ever and that the HUD was bad. And I don't know what the "yo deseo yo hablĂ© inglesĂ*a" response was there for. So therefore I don't see you getting the best possible poll results since people can totally ignore the whole HUD aspect of it.

NoNicknameForMe
29th May 2003, 23:34
on about 30% opacity i can't see the hud being obtrusive...

sean74
30th May 2003, 17:12
Even being transparent, a HUD that goes up the sides of the monitor is still going to slightly camoflauge whats going on behind it IMO.

Another idea I don't see mentioned is making the HUD invisible (or at least the parts that scale the sides of the monitor) until you press a key to bring it up. If done right (like a fade in/fade out type thing) it could even be pretty cool.

NoNicknameForMe
30th May 2003, 17:39
The best solution, and one i dont understand why they didnt take, would be to have a top and bottom approach, insted of left and right...

Untill I see the hud in action i'm worried about it, i'll be honest.

Leo
2nd Jun 2003, 08:07
That's right,
Give me my inventory screen back!

Deux Ex will not be DX without inventory...

But interesting thing, I wonder how can JC hide a GEP gun under his coat so that no one sees it there LoL

Leo
2nd Jun 2003, 10:40
Oh man,

you manage inventory with the mouse !!! drag'n'drop

Leo
2nd Jun 2003, 16:55
Originally posted by Mamlikat
leo..i know that i discovered that in the middle the first time i played.

Guess I missunderstood the "manage" meaning, sorry

ingosepbb
3rd Jun 2003, 10:50
I absolutely love the new HUD, but I agree that they should have an alternative since a lot of people seems to hate it.

snark^
3rd Jun 2003, 13:00
I like the new HUD -- suits the futuristic style a bit more than the old bung-it-all-up-in-the-corners style.. Sure it's intrusive to a certain degree regards the left/right edges of the view but it's not as if the player focuses on those parts of the screen during play -- so long as you can still see movement in those areas during the action bits I'll be happy enough.

DarkForge
3rd Jun 2003, 20:06
I understand the thinking behind the new HUD: they wanted to give the impression that it was 'burned into your eye', as if the character saw the HUD as part of his/her standard vision. Apparently, Spector tried to get this message across when making the first game, but the end result was far from his intention.

Like I said, I understand the thinking behind this new HUD, and with regards to that, I agree with it. It's a lot closer to the intention.

However, with regards to the actual gameplay, I do worry about some potential problems. Not necessarily because I think it would "interfere with the environment" (as Neutrino put it), but mainly because it's just not a style of HUD that I'm used to. I'm more comfortable with the inventory bar across the bottom, and the health in the corners etc. I just feel that a HUD like this might be a bit disorientating for me - at least at first.

But then: this is based on screenshots. I can't tell for certain until I actually play the thing!

NoNicknameForMe
3rd Jun 2003, 20:11
I was kinda curious how it might look, so nerd me took some celophane and stuck it up on the monitor with just a simple outline on it... played Vietcong with the hud off (it was the first game I thought about that you could turn off the hud and still play). Guess what, it was horiable, even though it was just basicaly the outline. It was like looking at the world through a toilet paper tube. (Take a tp tube and put it up to you're eyes and look through it.) Like I said before they should orient the HUD to the top and bottom of the screen where it's not as annoying.

daranz
3rd Jun 2003, 21:24
also, don't forget that the opacity of the HUD will be adjustable...

NoNicknameForMe
3rd Jun 2003, 22:46
Thats well and good, but the more I play around with things trying to see how bad it will be the more I notice one thing. Either the hud is too transparent too be of any use, or it is to opaque and gives you even worse than mormal tunnel vision.

Just orienting it from top to bottom would make it awsome, properly shaped (eyes are not spheres) and it wouldn't be as obtrusive.

sean74
3rd Jun 2003, 23:35
Originally posted by NoNicknameForMe
I was kinda curious how it might look, so nerd me took some celophane and stuck it up on the monitor with just a simple outline on it... played Vietcong with the hud off (it was the first game I thought about that you could turn off the hud and still play). Guess what, it was horiable, even though it was just basicaly the outline. It was like looking at the world through a toilet paper tube. (Take a tp tube and put it up to you're eyes and look through it.) Like I said before they should orient the HUD to the top and bottom of the screen where it's not as annoying.

LOL

Did you seriously put celophane up to the monitor to test this out?

I can tell looking at the screenshots that the HUD on the sides is going to be annoying. You can see in the screenshots where things behind the hud can be confused to where you might miss something that's there, or imagine something's there that's not. Maybe with it being transparent you might grow used to it, but I doubt it.

I definately agree that the best way to do it is to continue with the way it's always been done. Bar across the bottom and/or top. Everyone is so into 16:9 aspect ratio DVDs and such, why not just use the bottom and top to your full advantage and call it a "widescreen display" and you can sell that as a feature so all the mouth-breathers will say "oooh a widescreen video game"

4th Jun 2003, 00:44
I don't think my response is quite as harsh as the vote choices, but yes, the new HUD is gross. Even with transparency it distracts/impedes the peripheral vision. I really liked the "previous" bluish, small icons along the left and right. If there is any way to toggle between the old and new, that would be the most preferable.

I still thing I can only speculate at this point, because the game might work with the circular HUD, but I can't tell without playing. Right now it just seems too obstructive.

NoNicknameForMe
5th Jun 2003, 03:12
yea only untill just now did i think to use a screenshot as a wallpaper... i'm so lame.

Neuromancer
5th Jun 2003, 19:13
Quick question, is the HUD allowed to be turned off, cos its not on half the screenshots. if so I definately lke the new system, otherwise id need convincing!

VodunLoas
5th Jun 2003, 19:26
You can always turn your hud off even on DX1, but its for screenshot purposes. Thats why some of the screenshots do not have it.

Leo
5th Jun 2003, 19:26
I like the new heads up display but I think it takes too much room of the screen ... at first maybe it will be cool but after playing for longer time I am sure the colourfull HUD will look bad in dark areas [it will hurt eyes]

sean74
6th Jun 2003, 03:06
Please, oh please, drop this stupid hud and go for one that's aligned top & bottom instead of left & right

NoNicknameForMe
6th Jun 2003, 06:21
Thats what i've been saying for about 3 weeks now Sean74... it might be the only helpful thing I say on these forums. =D

sean74
6th Jun 2003, 12:06
Thats what i've been saying for about 3 weeks now Sean74... it might be the only helpful thing I say on these forums. =D

Hear hear!

j/k

MR X
7th Jun 2003, 20:20
I think the hud looks sweet. I mean its awesome looking. If i had an xbox, or ever intended to get one in the next 20 years, I would LOVE it. That said, I DONT have an xbox, and i WONT get an xbox, and the new hud is gonna SUCK ASS ON PC. Seems like that always happens these days, a great pc game comes out, and the sequel gets jacked because they need to make it work with consoles so they have less working porting it :(
But im not worried, deus ex's plusses for me were the environment interaction, story, etc, and had very little to do with the Hud.

Big Ragu
8th Jun 2003, 01:16
I agree, the HUD does look cool, but I am for function over looks. It could be the best looking HUD ever made in a game, but it could be worst functioning. I actually think the first interface was simple; You have your augs at the top right, hot key inventory on the bottom, health & ammo on the left. It wasn't drop dead gourgeous, but it reflected what the deus ex world was like.

The interface is just a sugar coating, I will really be happy if the guts of the original game are present such as the variety of gameplay. But from what I have heard, the core of the original might not in the second (more shooting, less thinking).

VodunLoas
10th Jun 2003, 08:26
Ummm... you guys are so ticking me off on what you think of how DX2 is gonna be. Well in DX1 Warren wanted all the stuff like inventory augs and such to look like it was augmented in his eye, which didn't turn out the way he wanted, but now he got it done in DX2 which he is proud of.

Polaris
10th Jun 2003, 18:21
First thought: I like the idea of the new HUD, but it is just too intrusive and doesn't look functinal enough. People who don't normally play first person games might like it, but those who do will notice its flaws.

However, I looked at it again after reading all the replies. It *appears* to cover much more of the screen than it actually does because all 4 sides of the screen are obscured to some degree (3 by HUD, 1 by gun). If they removed the 3 bars on the top so that it was clean, you will notice the HUD doesn't take up that much space. Move the bars that are on top left and top right outside of the circle (top left and right corners of the screen) and maybe move the compass to the bottom right which looks empty. Then the interface takes much less space and still has a stylistic look. Might be OK to leave the compass where it is if it's moved up a little.

Summary: as is the interface is inadequate. With a little minor tweaking, it could be MUCH better.

Polaris
10th Jun 2003, 18:26
Well for some reason I can't edit my post but I just wanted to reiterate one thing: the main problem with the HUD is those 2 bars next to the compass which are practically opaque. Something needs to be done with them.

chris_00000
10th Jun 2003, 21:53
IMO it would be best it u could have an option to customise the HUD, not just put parts of it on/off, but to be able to position them in different places on the screen and possibly even change their shapes and colours. That way the HUD would be perfect for everyone.
I know it's probably too late to put anything like that in the game, but it would be cool.

Igoe
14th Jun 2003, 01:51
The HUD looks ok... a tad cumbersome, but if it spins and clicks like Warren says it does, it's gonna be pretty. I'm just wondering how you move it. Do you have to hold down a key, or repeated tap to scroll through the different tabs? If they were good, they could still include all of the old stuff like an inventory screen if it clicked and rotated into place like a mechanism. You'd keep the "burned in image" effect as well as streamlining the HUD. You should also be able to change colors....I'm a little more for the old kind of hud, more viewable screen, but I'm curious as to how they do this "HUD" thing. If worse comes to worse we can all e-mail and have them release a patch for a new HUD, so let's keep an open mind. A crappy HUD isnt gonna keep me from playing DX:IW again and again and again.....:D

marlin
16th Jun 2003, 22:43
I like the cybereye feel of the new HUD, but why not make the circle bigger and move the info to the corners. The corners are empty and separated from the central viewing area now.

Huntress
23rd Jun 2003, 21:47
Initially I came over here to get an idea of release date as I too was confused by PCG's release date. Then I saw this poll and felt the need to respond. Personally I do NOT care for the new design...only if it can be toggled on or off as with the Huds in DX1 and even then I still wouldn't care for it much as I tended to leave my Huds up to see which items/Augs were located. In other words, in excitement or whatever I needed the reminder of which keys to hit :) However, I do not care for the idea of an encirclement around my view screen and yes the obstruction of my surroundings with this thing. Off to the right for Augs and Bottom for items...thank you very much!!! This setup worked very well for me and I could toggle off if I really didn't want them on :) Don't know if any of this will make any difference since the game is pretty far along in developement but thought I'd toss in my 2¢ worth anyway :) Ta and Good Hunting!

Trollslayer
23rd Jun 2003, 21:52
Here's how i see it...

If it's going to stick out that much, the HUD should have a 10% transparency for starters.

Second, i think it should work like this: The HUD should have a high transparency value, but still be slightly visible (so as not to be overly intrusive). When the player needs to select an item/weapon, by activating the hotkey (or sliding the mouse roll button), the HUD should become more visible, with a much higher visualization - it should become more visible trough a transparency shifting (something like from 10% visible to 85% visible) when the player visualizes all the items in it.

Say you're somewhere in the game. You look at the screen and you see a regular scene in the game. The 10% HUD is there. You then need to switch from a pistol to an SMG. You slide the mouse rolling button, and the HUD "comes alive" gaining said increase in colour/lessening in transparency. As you browse trough the item/weapon "toolbelt", the items also gain an increase in colour so as to become more recognizable. You then select the SMG, and stop rolling the button. When you stop moving the "toolbelt", the HUD should start fading away again.

Huntress
23rd Jun 2003, 22:01
Trollslayer...your idea has some plausabiltiy however, what if you need something in a hurry and you have to roll through all your stuff to get to it? Then you hurridly pass over it and have to reverse to get back to it? Of course somethings I guess would have their assigned key numbers (?) but I still would not care for that idea all in all either. I still prefer the normal Hud screens as was found in the original and they were also translucent :) Ta and Good Hunting!

Trollslayer
23rd Jun 2003, 22:44
Originally posted by Huntress
Trollslayer...your idea has some plausabiltiy however, what if you need something in a hurry and you have to roll through all your stuff to get to it? Then you hurridly pass over it and have to reverse to get back to it?

Er... good point ^_^;; I somehow remember having the same problem in DX1. My mouse wheel was too fast, and in critical situation JC would fumble trough 10 items and i had trouble stopping it >_< However you're right - seeing JC in DX1 fumbling his hands for an item is not the same as having a disco-themed HUD blinding you and covering your vision :(

However, such a system, with tweaking, could possibly work. I'm reminded of, say, Unreal 2' system, where small weapon trees appeared on your right part of the HUD. If you haven't tried the game, try at least to see how the weapon cycling occurs in HUD terms. I could see that system work in DX2.

Now, if that giant HUD was divided into 3 parts... and if each focused on items/weapons/augs... and if it was kept transparent most of the time, or used U2's way.... Hmmm.

Huntress
23rd Jun 2003, 23:11
Well thanks there Trollslayer, nice to see that I had a good point :) Yes as a matter of fact, I do have U2 and really enjoyed it ;) My only dissapointment was I wished there had been more levels since it was made in such a terrific way...the different environments were wonderful! The only screen that was made for that all around view was the sniper scope view and that was great! But that's the only time I want to see that kind of Hud view! The other Huds worked OK for me as well.

On another note (no pun intended), no music???? I loved the music in DX1 and have a couple of downloads on my HDD to play them quite frequently. That will be most disappointing as well as not having an item chooser/switching weapon placement cause I definately wanted certain items to be in my first choice keys rather than scattered so I would have to move my hand to get at them, they would be right there in easy reach of my first keys! Eyahhh, I only hope they release a demo first cause I sure want to test things out before I make my final decision about buying it now! I have been anixously awaiting this game as I have enjoyed playing the first one soooo much! If I can't get the same kind of joy playing this next one, I may not invest in it afterall :(

Ta and Good Hunting!

Trollslayer
23rd Jun 2003, 23:59
On another note (no pun intended), no music???? I loved the music in DX1 and have a couple of downloads on my HDD to play them quite frequently.

I'm also somewhat divided on that :confused: I liked the music of DX1, specially because it seemed to fit every occasion. However, i must admit it somehow broke my concentration trying to sneak around and listening to it :) I hope that at least we can be given the choice to import music to a folder and have the game play it :)

Eyahhh, I only hope they release a demo first cause I sure want to test things out before I make my final decision about buying it now! I have been anixously awaiting this game as I have enjoyed playing the first one soooo much!

IF a demo comes out... i'd like to get my hands on one. Specially to see if i'll have a clean run of it on my system. And to search around for things to which to point out at Spector and say, "This is good! This one is bad!" :D

NoNicknameForMe
24th Jun 2003, 01:27
Well thanks there Trollslayer, nice to see that I had a good point :) Yes as a matter of fact, I do have U2 and really enjoyed it ;)

You must be joking.

Huntress
24th Jun 2003, 03:09
No I'm not joking...I really enjoyed the game and it's challenges :) Sorry if you didn't but I thought it was pretty well done all in all! Sure some of those FMV's were surperflous...showing the flights back and forth to the ship/planets...etc. but I'm talking about the game and it's objectives/mission types/weaponry/sound effects/and of course, the graphics :) I liked it all basically and only regretted as I said, that there wasn't more of it to play...just cause it was so neat!!! I know about all the negatives that have been posted about how some ppl felt cheated etc., but for my money, I got my enjoyment and glad I got/have it :) Ta and Good Hunting!

NoNicknameForMe
24th Jun 2003, 06:40
Will you post the number of your dealer? I'd like to get what he gives you, maby then I won't feel like I wasted money on U2...

Trollslayer
24th Jun 2003, 10:55
Will you post the number of your dealer? I'd like to get what he gives you, maby then I won't feel like I wasted money on U2...

Unreal 2 felt wasted but wasn't that bad. The textures were very good, the models were good, and the action was fast-paced. The main problems with the game were the AI that could almost shoot trough walls (i mean, i'm not an excellent gamer or something, and i know my way around FPSs, but having to reload on average 8 times per mission because of the AI behaving like Matrix agents is too much :rolleyes: ), its lack of memorable enemies, bosses or even situations (though that line about the Marines was nice), and its short lifespan.

Its a shooter you can casually play, but besides graphics, there's little else to keep you looking at it. UT feels better - then again, it plays on our basic instict, supremacy over our adversary, competition. How can a game that plies on that not be successful? :D

NoNicknameForMe
25th Jun 2003, 04:13
If it had been called "space marshal dixon" and released by JoWood, it would have been a decent game. To call it Unreal 2 and scam people from there cash, was a travesty.

Foten
25th Jun 2003, 09:07
Y do allmost everybody comes in on U2 and HL2 when u talk about DX: IW?!
And i think the HUD looks really good i cant see any problem whit it, it rox!!!

Leo
25th Jun 2003, 11:01
I tried Unreal Tournament 2003 on my "slow" machine and it worked just great on hight details, I will have to try it on highest details too.

so, what I wanted to say, if Deus Ex Invisible war will be like this, I am going to buy Unreal 2 too :)

Trollslayer
25th Jun 2003, 12:56
Originally posted by Foten
Y do allmost everybody comes in on U2 and HL2 when u talk about DX: IW?!
And i think the HUD looks really good i cant see any problem whit it, it rox!!!

I think its because they share fairly similar technology... :rolleyes:

CrusherDX
28th Jun 2003, 01:08
The HUD looks a LOT better than it did in some of the earlier DX2 screenshots, so I think they're definetly on the right track. However, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the HUD in the first game. Sometimes I wonder why developers go so far out of their way to make games feel like they aren't games... if you're going to have a HUD, there's no point in trying to make it seem like it's part of your eyeball instead of what it really is: a HUD. Besides, it's not like anyone can make a realistic imitation of a cybernetic eye, since there's no reference to go by. Any attemt will seem alien to the user because they have no familiarity with it to begin with.

But I also don't find the right/left alignment of the HUD to be as bad as some of you seem to think it is. Notice the stat bars also span across the top of the screen, so it's not left/right-only, that just happens to be where the larger portions of it are positioned. It might look better if it were, say, aligned diagonally (lower-left and upper-right perhaps), but then again, it might not. I think the extra little semi-circle artwork on the far sides of the HUD could be tossed as well... unless they perform some functionality that isn't apparent from the screenshots.

daemoniak
12th Jul 2003, 21:51
i like the idea that the new HUD is supposed to look like some kind of retina augmentation, and i think they are on the right track and it's definately cool looking, but maybe a tad too bulky. in one of the videos it looks like the right side of the hud was actually in the way of his pistol, i donno i like to clearly see my weapons and what not. i think it would be very cool if they made it thinner. and also what is that running man thing on there? reminds me of AIM or something, they could do away with that.

vick1000
13th Jul 2003, 02:30
My main beef with the whole "part of your eye ball" thing,is
does the character have only one eye?Or is he/she walking
around with on closed all the time?Just because something is
"holographically" part of your eye ball,does'nt mean it has to
take the shape of it,the first HUD could still be considered
intergated into your eye.

Iluminatus
14th Jul 2003, 03:43
From all the huds till now the ones i like most are the first hud, besides the fact that it was rudementary and the fact that only 5 weapons showed up with a some modification it could've looked like a real hud and the oval circle in it added to this "part of your eye ball" thing(vick) without getting in the way, and everything was so compact, the only thing that bothered me was a little to much bleu in the mods panel. It also still had the old health status indicator which is much better then whatever they use now ( i don't know if it's a bar or the runing figure in the top left), and some modifications to the ammo panel whould be necesary ofcourse.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
21st Jul 2003, 07:35
I think the HUD is on the sunglasses, that's why they have to wear them even at night

Random
21st Jul 2003, 11:05
The HUD is on Alex's eyeball. S/he isn't wearing sunglasses in the E3 videos.

vick1000
22nd Jul 2003, 08:27
So,he's a cyclops then.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Jul 2003, 09:03
damn, no sunglasses?

will Alex at least keep the coat? It woudn't be Deus Ex without the coat

no sunglasses is another proof that Eidos and Ion Storm dumbed down the game for Xbox, they couldn't make them work, so they discarded them.

crimson_stallion
22nd Jul 2003, 14:47
Personally, it looks smooth to me. There is potential for it to create problems, there is also potential for it to be great. Maybe something different is just what the first person genre needs. Something different to all the quake/unreal/halflife huds so as to emphasise that "this is not a typical half-life type FPS".

Personally, I'm not making any decisions until I see it running on my screen.

aklein
22nd Jul 2003, 15:28
umm, they couldn't make sunglasses work? Sunglasses were just a part of Jc's freaking 3d model, do you think that's hard to integrate? Paul didn't have glasses in any game, was he dumbed down? It's a different character, it will look different.

My solution to the whole HUD dilemma is make it only pop up when you're using it, otherwise it just fades out. Kinda like the original Jedi Knight, where when you scrolled through your force powers, it showed them on your screen, but when you had it selected, it didn't show anything. When you scroll through in DX2 the whole clicky circle thingy should pop up and you should be able to select you augs weapons whatever, and then it should dissapear.

All in all I think it's a good idea, cause in DX1 the augs were hard to use. I was always fumbling on the keyboard for the right button, I think if they make it user friendly, it could be a ton easier to use the augs.

-A

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Jul 2003, 15:51
umm, they couldn't make sunglasses work? Sunglasses were just a part of Jc's freaking 3d model, do you think that's hard to integrate? Paul didn't have glasses in any game, was he dumbed down? It's a different character, it will look different.

check signature below my previous post

and like some other person here, I never had a problem with the keyboard, to select augmentations, weapons, etc.

I remapped some of the controls (put every moves, quicksave and quickload on the numpad), but apart from that, the augs on F4-F12 keys were just fine.

oh, and I used the mouse wheel to scroll through my weapons, lockpicks, etc.

W.C. Duck
11th Aug 2003, 00:07
But interesting thing, I wonder how can JC hide a GEP gun under his coat so that no one sees it there LoL - Leo

It's inflatable.

Erik Denton
21st Aug 2003, 20:53
There is more bad news about the Hud!! when you get a call from your infolink a large blue screen apears. you can see very difficult trough it. I hate it. i have seen it on that German trailer.

Lawnboy360
22nd Aug 2003, 00:35
Yeah, and pretty much everyone on the board agrees that this in probably XBox only, with a much smaller window at the top of the HUD for PC.

exo
22nd Aug 2003, 03:33
Here's my take on the HUD.

It looks sweet, the whole idea of all a HUD in your eye is a cool idea.

Now, here's the feature that a hud like this needs.

A "fade" and "retract" feature, when you aren't selecting things in the HUD such as different skills, the hud recedes to the outer edges of the screen but still remains in view, and fades to higher transparency so that it doesn't bother your view of the real world.

Lawnboy360
22nd Aug 2003, 18:06
Now, here's the feature that a hud like this needs. A "fade" and "retract" feature, when you aren't selecting things in the HUD such as different skills, the hud recedes to the outer edges of the screen but still remains in view, and fades to higher transparency so that it doesn't bother your view of the real world.

Same for ammos, health, bio energy. Like the HUD in HL (and HL2), the health points briefly glows when you are hit and then fade back.

AlteredGlyph
22nd Aug 2003, 20:23
The new hud is awesome. If, like everybody has been suggesting, it fades in & out, then i think everybody will be happy, because it looks totally awesome, but it has the large potential to obscure your peripheral vision.

Erik Denton
24th Aug 2003, 19:46
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
Yeah, and pretty much everyone on the board agrees that this in probably XBox only, with a much smaller window at the top of the HUD for PC. if you look at the right corner of that video you see written PCGAMES. So i am affraid that we will have a big large blue screen when you get a call from your infolink.

Lawnboy360
24th Aug 2003, 23:11
if you look at the right corner of that video you see written PCGAMES. So i am affraid that we will have a big large blue screen when you get a call from your infolink.

That doesn't mean anything. Maybe only the XBox version was available, or maybe it was this way around may and it will change before the games ships, or whatever. I'm sure it will not be that way on the PC.

AlteredGlyph
25th Aug 2003, 00:17
I believe I read on a preview that there would be no infolink, instead you would communicate over the holo-jukeboxes thing communicators. I think that they should just have a small screen to the side for the infolink however, as using the jukeboxes sounds way too pathetic.

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 10:19
i dont see anything wrong with the new HUD, i dont see why you people are whining all over about it. are you hoping that when you finally get the option to turn off or turn down the HUD you can go around bragging that the team listened to you?
there were options to adjust HUD opacity and colour in DX1, i dont see why it will be excluded from DXIW

exo
2nd Sep 2003, 06:10
There's nothing wrong with it. It looks great. When things get hecktic though I don't want the pretty flashy of the menu's to possibly obstruct my line of sight.

BUT, as I said before if there is a "fade" function aka make more transparent feature, it'd be downright perfect.

To be honest, I couldn't even understand half the garbled posts that were posted before mine. Something about glasses, and the hud being on the eyeball means he/she's a cyclops?

I can't understand what half the people in the thread were saying too be honestly.

Frost Giant
3rd Sep 2003, 18:24
Originally posted by exo
To be honest, I couldn't even understand half the garbled posts that were posted before mine. Something about glasses, and the hud being on the eyeball means he/she's a cyclops?

I can't understand what half the people in the thread were saying too be honestly.

Exactly!! What do they mean? I have two eyes but I see things as a whole, not in two separate circles. That also goes for glasses.

Thank you very much, Exo.:cool:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Sep 2003, 07:34
no, it's a 3D HUD, so you need to have both eyes with a slightly different image, in order to see it in 3D.

Catman
4th Sep 2003, 12:55
Or it could simply be ponied on the optic nerves, or even sent directly to the visual cortex. No need to actually involve the eyes at all.

exo
6th Sep 2003, 21:08
"Those who were skeptical of this new interface, and thought it looked too obtrusive when it was unveiled a few months ago, can rest easy; it blends easily with the action and is quite easy to navigate in a hurry. Thankfully, the color and opacity can also be adjusted, so you can adjust it as necessary." - Gamespot Deus Ex IW Preview.

Be happy lads, the gods have heard our pleas.

SkriP
20th Sep 2003, 21:00
ugh... i hate it :mad: eidos! this is dissapointing! i so miss the old one where you had the damage location and the equipment belt... this tubular vision sux0rz

unfortunately they downgraded the hud when they released DX1 for ps2... they already took down the location damage indicator :(

maybe there is hope for a change of hud?

also does anyone know if they kept the color change for the hud?

Lawnboy360
20th Sep 2003, 22:37
AFAIK you can adjust color and transparency.

Godwin
21st Sep 2003, 04:53
dude... that was already said two posts up...

Originally posted by exo
"Those who were skeptical of this new interface, and thought it looked too obtrusive when it was unveiled a few months ago, can rest easy; it blends easily with the action and is quite easy to navigate in a hurry. Thankfully, the color and opacity can also be adjusted, so you can adjust it as necessary." - Gamespot Deus Ex IW Preview.

Be happy lads, the gods have heard our pleas.

Lawnboy360
21st Sep 2003, 13:01
:o

Trollslayer
21st Sep 2003, 14:25
When the hell will people stop blaming Eidos for things it hasn't done? its becoming annoying.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Sep 2003, 13:59
if you consider what they have done, it makes sense : it is easier than blaming them for what they have done. and it requires less checking. you just post the blame, to show you have something to say, even if it is unfounded or has already been discussed. after all, the post-counter is turning...

and the use of terms ending with -X0rz doesn't usually denote a very high level of thinking and reasonnig abilities. but I might be wrong.

(after all, I'm only a n00bx0rz)

AlteredGlyph
22nd Sep 2003, 15:51
ACtually, there may be a damage location indicator on the new hud. The icture of the running dude, you can see all the legs, arms, and the head, so it could work as a damage location indicator. Maybe.

SkriP
22nd Sep 2003, 22:49
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
ACtually, there may be a damage location indicator on the new hud. The icture of the running dude, you can see all the legs, arms, and the head, so it could work as a damage location indicator. Maybe.

yeah, i was thinking of the same thing... that running guy might be the indicator...

sackme
30th Sep 2003, 12:25
The new hud from the screen shots that ive seen is all right but i agree, that they should have a choice in the game of old or new hud. I looked at one of the screen shots and saw a bullet dash, but couldn't see the person who fired it so I coppied the screenshot enlarged it and could only just see the person who fired it through the hud:D

Another point i agrre on is the durg abuse thing in paris there is a bakers with 6 zime viles in it and i spent 4 hours trying complete the level with my crosshairs going everywhere.

Iwanted night vision like the elves, BUT TIS MORE THAN JUST TAKING THEIR EYES!!!!!!!

Trollslayer
30th Sep 2003, 12:36
*fumbles for a English/Nonsense dictionary*

Random
2nd Oct 2003, 03:13
In case some haven't seen yet, the HUD size was recently reduced considerably:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/dx2IW_090803_06.jpg

There's no 'running man' icon anymore because there's no locational damage on the player (but there is on NPCs).

Cyzada
2nd Oct 2003, 03:37
Does the Solid Red Bar for health mean that they have done away with the concept of damage to particular parts of the body?

Random
2nd Oct 2003, 05:27
Originally posted by Cyzada
Does the Solid Red Bar for health mean that they have done away with the concept of damage to particular parts of the body?

Yes. Different weapons still do different amounts of damage to the player, but it doesn't matter where on the body the weapons hit. A developer said this a couple of months ago and they could always change their minds I guess, but I doubt it. I think the logic behind it was basically that it isn't fun being headshotted by an unseen sniper from across the map, so you still have a chance to retreat and heal if you get hit.

Cyzada
2nd Oct 2003, 05:38
That kinda sucks. Maybe the people claiming that Dues Ex has been dumbed down have a point.

Random
2nd Oct 2003, 06:54
I dunno about that. It's mostly only the uber-realistic games, like military shooters, that have locational damage for the player anyway, and Deus Ex isn't that.

AlteredGlyph
2nd Oct 2003, 16:17
I want my locational damage *sniff* But it's not THAT important, and hard to implement.

Trollslayer
2nd Oct 2003, 17:38
That kinda sucks. Maybe the people claiming that Dues Ex has been dumbed down have a point.

Yup the people that claimed Dues Ex was dumbed down had a point.

However the people that stated Deus Ex: The Invisible War was dumbed down do not have a point.

:D

In all honesty though, this is probably the only thing i'm disliking in DX:IW now. There was a certain fun factor in not being able to run or even get up when your legs had been blown away. But then again, a person heavilly shot in the legs would not survive anyway. Still, like Random said, this will also avoid higher level AI will use cheap headshots.

Ah what the hell just gimme the game already ;)

Cyzada
2nd Oct 2003, 17:43
I like the realism of the AI being able to headshot me. Afterall i can headshot them from across the map why cant they do the same to me?

Trollslayer
2nd Oct 2003, 18:21
I like the realism of the AI being able to headshot me. Afterall i can headshot them from across the map why cant they do the same to me?

Im sure you like it, but not everyone likes it. In fact don't ask me, im not involved in the game's development.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
3rd Oct 2003, 07:23

you usually need a sniper rifle or a heavily modified pistol to headshoot them from afar. they usually can do this with an assault rifle, while running at you. hardly seems fair to me

Trollslayer
3rd Oct 2003, 15:13
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
you usually need a sniper rifle or a heavily modified pistol to headshoot them from afar. they usually can do this with an assault rifle, while running at you. hardly seems fair to me

Or with a standard pistol in long to medium range. Which doesn't seem that fair either.

AlteredGlyph
5th Oct 2003, 20:15
Originally posted by Random
Yes. Different weapons still do different amounts of damage to the player, but it doesn't matter where on the body the weapons hit. A developer said this a couple of months ago and they could always change their minds I guess, but I doubt it. I think the logic behind it was basically that it isn't fun being headshotted by an unseen sniper from across the map, so you still have a chance to retreat and heal if you get hit.

Just wondering, but where did you hear this?

Lawnboy360
5th Oct 2003, 20:38
Probably on Ion Storm's forums. There was a huge thread about "No locational damage OMG OMG this suck0rs console dumb down!" and Chris Carollo, programmer, explained why it's that way...

hakselsen
6th Oct 2003, 02:05
Do you got a link to that thread?

I think the new HUD will be great. Remember that your eyes don't focus all over the screen at once. When you running or aiming i believe you don't even notice the interface (unless you want to).

And it's far far far far far more realistic than the slot interface.

"I would like to kill you Manderley but I can't aim. The slots are in the way"

Random
6th Oct 2003, 02:56
Here's the thread (http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP619612110&id=18225). It's pretty huge, so I'll quote Chris Carollo's post. You'll have to skip to page 6 or 7 before it starts getting interesting, because the first several pages is just arguments. :D

Okay, on to location-specific damage. Note that this is going to be my understanding of the design and the reasons for our decisions. So I'm not sure if they're totally the "official" reasons, but they're my understanding of them.

AIs will take location-specific damage (headshots). The player will not.

This was mostly decided because we thought location-specific damage had a number of issues. Specifically:

1. It was largely random. This meant that sometimes you'd die becuase you'd take a disproportionate amount of damage to your head or torso, and other times the damage would be distributed more evenly and you'd escape relatively unscathed. This hurt the player's ability to plan tactically, because they'd have a hard time gauging how risky a particular combat engagement was. Plus it made tuning combat damage values for us very difficult -- things like a shotgun could be lethal or relatively harmless, based mostly on a die roll.

2. Damage to legs introduced a positive feedback loop that pushed the player towards dying. When you can't move as well, you're more likely to die, and we really want to avoid the player having to reload the game (it breaks immersion, means they have to stop playing while the game loads, etc). We want to threaten dying, but generally not have it happen.

3. We fundamentally don't think that the player should ever be victim to a one-shot kill. We simply don't ever find that a fun or rewarding gameplay experience. Our game is about player agency, and one-shot kills fly in the face of that.

4. We didn't want an additional subscreen where you could go in a heal specific parts of your body. We wanted to minimize the number of gamesim-stopping subscreens, and wanted you to heal via medkit from within the actual sim. (Yes Diwakar, that's how it's going to work).

And given that we had all of those issues with locational damage to the player, we couldn't come up with much in the way of advantages to leaving it in. So we evaluated it, and decided the game would be better without it.

Now, before you go off the handle about this, please make sure you've read what I've posed, and thought about it some. Thanks.

(as a note, I'd be very very surprised if either HL2 or D3 had any kind of player-locational damage).

Edit: Oh yeah, that's the 'datum' thread. :D There's only about two pages of useful discussion in that one. :D

Cyzada
8th Oct 2003, 06:44
*shrug* i could headshot with a largely unmodified pistol or assault rifle with master or grandmaster skill level from pretty far away. With a sniper rifle i could headshot any target that i could get a clear line of fire on.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
8th Oct 2003, 08:31
*shrug* i could headshot with a largely unmodified pistol or assault rifle with master or grandmaster skill level from pretty far away. With a sniper rifle i could headshot any target that i could get a clear line of fire on.

I doubt the basic guards were master or grandmaster in rifle. and even master/grandmaster, it is hard to headshot with an assault rifle while running, which they could (and repeatingly did)

Trollslayer
11th Oct 2003, 09:44
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
I doubt the basic guards were master or grandmaster in rifle. and even master/grandmaster, it is hard to headshot with an assault rifle while running, which they could (and repeatingly did)

"Master"/"Grandmaster"? You're playing too much D&D :p

auric
11th Oct 2003, 12:09
Hi, not sure if anyone mentioned it or not, But I'd just say it.

As for the HUD look, its ok, & maybe theres an option to hide it, in part 1 we can hide everything including the crosshair in that HUD.

As for the singular damage, Its ok with me, actually I agree with Random about being killed in a shot, 2 or 3 ok, but 1 nah.

Except ofcourse if its being shot by a sniper. :cool:

Trollslayer
11th Oct 2003, 12:29
The HUD will be adjustable (in its transparency, i believe). Im sure crosshairs will also be, they've been adjustable in FPSs for quite some time now.

blackeye
13th Oct 2003, 16:08
man, i love the hud ... have you looked at the website ?
it has a similar layout :) ... how's that about design coherence !

whatever they do with the game, i'm open to try anything and i'm wanting :D

Caldi
8th Aug 2004, 11:05
OK, firstly there are way too many people posting here & saying they haven't even played the game... so really they have no idea how the HUD affects the game.

Secondly, I've just bought the game and after 2 hours the circular HUD is getting REALLY annoying. I'm extremely disappointed that a great game can be made less great by a deliberate design desicion which makes absolutely no sense.

I've set the transparency to zero... and I can't believe anybody would want any more crap all over the screen than what I'm still stuck with.

There are certain conventions in computer games which are in place for a good reason... like keeping the HUD on the edge of the screen so it doesn't distract you from what's going on in the game. It's like someone building a car with 5 wheels just to be different.

You know in some games there are menus you can expand & collapse, and maybe you forget to collapse a menu for a couple of minutes, and you start thinking "There's something not right here... too much rubbish on the screen"... well Invisible War is like that for the entire game!

Anyway maybe some bright spark will come up with a mod to change the HUD to something less obtrusive.

PS - sorry for complaining so much but as you can see I'm NOT happy with the new HUD at all!

JC 12
8th Aug 2004, 14:18
i agree with most of the ppl in the thread, the 1st hudd was alot better than the new one.... the new one gives me a headache when your looking around, it totaly clouds the enviroment...

so i hav one word "please" ion storm , bring bak the old hudd in the next deus ex game!!!!

(ok, ok, that was alot more than 1 word)

Planted Mole
10th Aug 2004, 00:38
I liked the old HUD. I also liked the new HUD - except for a few details. Yeah, that HUD blocked the view of stuff. If they're gonna go with a ring HUD, they should push it out more, and make it even more translucent. This way, it is unobtrusive and out of the way until you consciously look for it to select something or other. Otherwise, I liked the way the HUD was animated.

Catman
10th Aug 2004, 19:34
You do know you could adjust the opacity of the HUD under options, yes? I had it set to 20 and full red, and that was quite tolerable.

Sea Dragon
12th Aug 2004, 00:06
Just like Metroid Prime, I found I had to turn the HUD all of the way down before I could even begin to try the game. Once you only have the health and energy displays, it's playable. I'm sort of a minimalist in this respect, though... for me Silent Hill 1 through 3 and the resident evil series have the best HUD :)