PDA

View Full Version : Hands On: Defiance

Lucent
20th May 2003, 18:51
Heya folks, Lucent here!

I just got back home from a long trip to California for E3, and then out of Arizona for some good ole' vacation. I'm in the middle of writing up my E3 review and uploading screenshots from my digital camera, but I just figured I'd expound a bit here on my experience over with the Eidos displays, specifically, Defiance...

I have to say, the LoK: Defiance booth was snuck between Deus-Ex and a crowded stage pretty well. It took me a couple of hours to even notice (and remember) that the game was being unveiled at E3, and when I saw the large display I nearly died of joy. First off, a massive pairing of Raziel and Kain stood at the center of the display, with about six different machines running the games. There was an equal split of X-Box and PS2 systems running Defiance, and I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

The demo that was available gave a few different scenarios from the game split between Raziel and Kain, giving you the choice of which ones to play. Most were short, but they gave so much up in those tiny shots. Nothing spoilerific, but still it made me salivate in anticipation.

Let me first describe the scenario called, "The Bridge". This is a Kain scenario, and when chosen the objective was to "Kill all of the Seraphan guards on the bridge". This is one of the scenes from the trailer that was shown a little before E3. Kain on a large stone bridge fighting about eight squads of Seraphan guards. Each squad featured four to five seraphan warriors at once. Usually three melee focused enemies, and two ranged (archers in this level).

Kain, I must say, is an absolute badass. This must be established before I continue.

The commands for the game were pretty simple, and though I didn't tinker too much with the mechanics, had a lot of potential for interconnection between abilities. Of the four primary buttons on the PS2 controller you had Jump, Attack, "Aerial", and "Telekenisis".

Jump is obvious, though as expected Raziel jumps a slight bt more than Kain. Both however have the ability to glide long distances, Raziel's however is vastly superior to Kains. By using his tattered wings, Raziel can glide for long distances, while Kain merely floats dramatically to the ground at a graudal angle.

Attack was simple, as in the Soul Reaver titles you could use the attack button on its own, and run around like a lunatic while mashing that button, or you could press "L1" and go into "Action" mode, which locked you on to opponents, and allowed fro more complex (and less silly looking) dodges. Both characters -seemed- to do roughly the same damage, however neither Raziel nor Kain fought the same types of enemies, so its hard to tell. Yes, Raziel's reaver blade looks -VERY- different from SR2, it extends from the palm of his hand, and a spectral skull resides there, making it look very reminiscent of the blood reaver. Kain's reaver leaves an interesting "heat ripple" effect of distortion in its wake.

"Aerial" as I like to call it, is the second melee attack button. This attack launches enemies hit by it into the air, and although I didn't really play around with it, it was obviously designed to be used for air combos. It's also handy for getting a pack of Angry Seraphan off of you while you play with one of their archers >:)

Telekenisis is pretty much an amalgamation of Raziel and Kain's "dragging" that they used on oh-so-many puzzle blocks in the previous Blood Omen titles, but not it can be used from a distance, and used to manipulate enemies. The first function I discovered for it is a 'burst' which is a quick and simple shot which can send enemies flying. Raziel knocks people over, Kain sends them to another -state-. Kain's obviously the more experienced one here. The other use for Telekenisis is to levitate an enemy off the ground and drag him around to wherever you desire. Now I myself liked to dangle guards off of the bridge's edge and drown them... however I'm sure there's a more practical use than that...

Now, this bridge area of Kains is pretty simple. A nice example of Hack n' Slash and definately a fun way to get used to Kain's monsterous power. Kain's deathblow ability with the reaver (the attack used on an opponent when they're staggering around and near dead) seems a little "silly" near the end. Kain impales his foe on the reaver, siphoning their blood from them. All good, until they -EXPLODE- into little bloody chunks like something out of Mortal Kombat...

Maybe this was just something thriown in for the demo. Hopefully it'll look a bit more refined, or somehow different in the finished game.

The other areas were similar fare, hack the monster and climb/jump somewhere. However three things that stand out in my mind all come from Raziel's areas.

1: Vorador has come into some serious wealth and power since the last game. His mansion looks more like a -palace- complete with blue-skinned black winged paintings all about his abode.

2: The creatures in the Spectral realm are amazingly cool. There's a "mino boss" in the "Escape from the tomb" area that are black wraith-like spectres of large size that assault raziel as he nears a spirit portal. Very well modled beasties.

3. When Raziel shifts out of the spectral realm, instead of materializing into a solid form, a corpse crawls forth from the ground, its skin decays, rots, turns blue, claws tear out of it, and it becomes Raziel. Perhaps a temporary placeholder for a possession ability, a posessed individual literally -becoming- Raziel. (I have some screenshots of this, I'll get them up ASAP)

Overall the demo was absolutely stunning, and a very broad jum in a different direction for the LoK series. It definatrly feels like its own seperate title, and almost harkens back more to the original blood omen, in terms of quantity of combat.

If you have any questions about the demo, I'll try to answer them as best I can. I really need to get to writing my E3 report now however ^_^.

-L

Sarah
20th May 2003, 18:56
That's beautiful, man.

Thanks for the very detailed review, and you lucky lucky thing!

I'm really posting too much lately-must stop now!!!

Preacher
20th May 2003, 19:01
*hands j00 a trophy*

Very cool. Can't wait to see the pics! =)

jesta
20th May 2003, 23:52
Everything i hear makes me so want this game now...:D
that sounds so cool i cant wait to see Raziel shift now.

darien_specter
20th May 2003, 23:55
Nice review! Will there be a forthcoming link to your longer picture-laden review?

warpsavant
21st May 2003, 01:26
Yeah we need some links. I want to see the corpses!

blincoln
21st May 2003, 01:48
I want to play the demo! Please tell me while you were playing it, you secretly hooked up a DVD burner and made yourself a copy that you can ship to me =).

hippiechk
21st May 2003, 02:09
Originally posted by Lucent
Kain impales his foe on the reaver, siphoning their blood from them. All good, until they -EXPLODE- into little bloody chunks...

Awesome!
That is far better than what I had hoped for.

…When Raziel shifts out of the spectral realm, instead of materializing into a solid form, a corpse crawls forth from the ground, its skin decays, rots, turns blue, claws tear out of it, and it becomes Raziel…)

Oh that just sounds too sweet!
Damn, now I gotta go change my panties…

fneh
21st May 2003, 11:26
I HAVE to see raziel shifting!

Dylan
21st May 2003, 12:05
Many thanks, Lucent.

Chronomancer
21st May 2003, 14:28
Very nice.

Something is bothering me though, how do you feed?

Lucent
21st May 2003, 16:08
Here's a LINK (http://forums.ffonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20358) to my full E3 report over at another forum. You can check out the EIDOS section of the review for all the LoK screenies. Or... if you don't feel like reading that huge thing, you can check out the screenshots below:

(Snipped from my report)
Legacy of Kain: Defiance (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_logo.jpg)

Probably one of my favorite games at the entire show, Legacy of Kain: Defiance is shaping up to be an -amazing- action title, and combining the cool factor of both Kain and Raziel is bound to make me wet myself in all sorts of new ways. I have a detailed synopsis of the demo down at the Eidos forums, you can find the
thread here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16817).

The Seraphan Bridge (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_bridgepanorama.jpg)

Argh, the shot of Raziel's transformation didn't come out so well... (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_crapshot.jpg)

The Ignus Fatus, on the way to Vorador's Manor (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_ignusfatus.jpg)

Kain, man of action. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_kainbridge.jpg)

The toll of this bridge? Death. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_kainbridge-2.jpg)

Kain kicks ass, simple as that. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_kainkicksass.jpg)

Kain stuff. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_kainstuff.jpg)

Trailer footage, on the trinatron. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_trailer_bigscreen.jpg)

Vordor's Mansion (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_voradormansion.jpg)

Man, Vordor really does well for himself. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_voradormansion-2.jpg)

Vorador's massive manor (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_voradormansion-3.jpg)

Last shot of the manor. (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_voradormansion-4.jpg)

This just kicks ass. I love the booth design ^_^ (http://www.ffasylum.com/~dreamscape/E3-2003/lokd_wallofdoom.jpg)
(end snippet)

And there you have it. Sadly, my shots o Raziel's transformation look like absolute crap. As far as feeding goes, I couldn't figure ou the controls to do it... Kain did have a chained up prisoner he could feed from, but well, I couldn't figure out the blood drink command.

Oh! The sickest thing-- When I slashed up the chained person on the wall, and left it for dead, but didn't drain, a spirit went into the chained person's body, and pretty much exploded forth as this massive horned demon, like the one that battles Raziel at the pillars in SR2!

Again, I wasn't quick enough to take screenshots of that. Next year I'm bringing someone else to take photos while I play, and a -real- camera, not one of the digital variety.

Edit:
I wish I had gotten shots o the Blue Ancient portraits inside the manor. I can describe them however for you theorists:

The blue ancient depicted in the manor shot looks young, first off, with short hair that is almost -obviously- Raziel's hair style. He wears a thin golden circlet. Large black feathered wings are folded behind him, and in his left hand he holds a tall spear with an odd and short spearhead point. There were also portraits of female ancients, but I couldn't get a good look at them in the time I played.

hippiechk
21st May 2003, 19:18
OMG Lucent!
You did an awesome, excellent job! And I thank you.
I am simply slayed.

Embla
21st May 2003, 20:02
Wow!
Thanks alot Lucent!
Not being able to go to E3 myself, I really appreciate your preview and all those pics.:)

Evelin The Winged
21st May 2003, 20:14
Great pics! Atleast I know what Kain's health look's like now...a crystal ball with blood in it? I especially like the shots of Vorador's Mansion.

Lucent
21st May 2003, 21:15
Thanks guys ^_^ Good to know my shoddy cameraman skills were put to good use ^_~;;

Also, if you want to use any of the screenshots on a website or other public venue just ask me ^_^ I don't mind letting people use them at all, I mean, that's what they were taken for, but just let me know when you use my shots and maybe toss a little credit my way ^_^

warpsavant
22nd May 2003, 01:23
Thanks Lucent!

Was Raziels health coil real small? I think Ive seen that little coil before!

Lady Kreliana
22nd May 2003, 01:47
Great pics Lucent! Thanks for posting them.

Lucent
22nd May 2003, 02:27
Raz' health coil was pretty small, I only can assume that his "experience" at the end of SR2 left him very weak, and he'll need to expand his health coil once more during the course of the game.

darien_specter
22nd May 2003, 05:15
Surprise, surprise... Raziel's been 'weakened' by harsh times in his life again... sooooo convienient... :p

Though I do suppose that if they didn't do that, he'd have about eight or nine rings on his coil by now... it'd be getting pretty tightly bound!

Thanks for the great shots Lucent!

warpsavant
22nd May 2003, 07:10
OKay, one other question. Whats Kains health meter, just a circle full of blood?

Vampmaster
22nd May 2003, 10:40
Oh! The sickest thing-- When I slashed up the chained person on the wall, and left it for dead, but didn't drain, a spirit went into the chained person's body, and pretty much exploded forth as this massive horned demon, like the one that battles Raziel at the pillars in SR2!

Wow, I had a theory about that! Now if it turns out that the ancients got demonised too...
If enemies get possesed by demons it's a good insentive to finish them off. I heard inspiration was taken from Silent Hill as well (anyone know if that's true). It looks like they've tried to make Defiance seem scarier or at least increase the sense of urgence.

hippiechk
22nd May 2003, 10:42
I think someone said (can't remember who - sorry) Kains health meter is a crystal ball filled with blood. Wicked!

Evelin The Winged
22nd May 2003, 15:55
Yeah, that was me.

ZelenGangrel
22nd May 2003, 18:03
Death Orb anyone?

Lucent
22nd May 2003, 20:00
Who'sadeathorbywhatnow? O.o

Johnny_anoniem
22nd May 2003, 22:06
Wooow! I really really REALLY appreciate all the effort you've put in all this to make us LoK fans happy :D

warpsavant
23rd May 2003, 01:15
The death orb had like a spider on it(didnt it?)so that's no death orb. It doesn't look like a crystal ball either, just a circle fullablood. I guess I rather call it the death orb than crystal ball though.

someguysteve
23rd May 2003, 03:49
anyone know what happens when Kain dies?

edit
oh and the demon bursting out of the dead sounds great, maybe thats what Kain feared; demons invading the material realm.

Does Raziel have markers like in SR1 and 2 in the spectral realm to let you know where to shift or is it just a corpse or included in the demo.

edit2
maybe possesions will allow Ariel to escape into the material realm and scare children or something

Umah Bloodomen
23rd May 2003, 03:54
More guardians are born. :p

ZelenGangrel
23rd May 2003, 05:59
I'm guessing from the SR icon in the lower left corner of Raziel's screen that the Elemental Reavers will indeed be present in Defiance. I would also imagine that gaining the remaining 3 reaver abilities will increase Raziel's health as it did in SR2.

As far as Kain, perhaps we'll be getting powers for the Blood Reaver by revisiting the old Blood Fountains as they are no doubt the work of the ancients aswell.

anarwally
23rd May 2003, 08:05
Thanks for all the work Lucent. Good stuff. The great thing about this, as always, is that it brings up more questions than it answers.

warpsavant
23rd May 2003, 20:35
I think his coil will increase when he kills bosses. I think it makes more sense than if it increases as he forges the Reaver. I like the Blood Fountain idea and I hope they keep the elemental reavers.

And as far as sgs's edit 2, uh, no.

JANOS_KING_OF_VAMPIRES
24th May 2003, 01:23
many thanks!!!!!

lucky bastard! i cant believe u went to E3

i still cant believe we are finally getting another legacy of kain game

seems like just yesterday i was watching the ending to soul reaver 2 and *****ing about how we never get a actual ending

LOK rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks again man, that raziel possesion thing sounds cool

ZelenGangrel
24th May 2003, 17:23
You know really, unless you count the false ending at the end of Blood Omen, we really have never had a true ending in an LOK game.

The true choice leads into Blood Omen 2(or atleast in that era anyway), which leads into Soul Reaver which leads into Soul Reaver 2 and then onto Defiance. There hasnt ever really be a real ending in these games.

So I wish people would stop asking for one. Its better to have an end to the chapters, but not an end to the story.

fneh
24th May 2003, 18:39
Bo1 did have an ending. Both endings on BO1 were complete. if they never made a sequel to it it wouldn't have bothered anyone. Bo2 also had an ending. Sr1 made people beg for SR2 and SR3 made them beg for SR3 (defiance)

Chapter 1 - Blood Omen
Chapter 2 - Blood Omen 2
Chapter 3 - soul reaver - defiance

This chapter (as you call it) HAS to end with defiance

punkst4r
10th Jun 2003, 02:27
Was there a meter or bar which shows your magic/mana to see how much you can use telekenesis or any other special moves?

Lucent
10th Jun 2003, 04:12
There was no limit to the use of Telekinesis, you could use it as much as you want, and it didn't seem to unbalance combat any.

There were no other special moves available in the demo.

punkst4r
10th Jun 2003, 04:31
Did you have to act fast with the telekenesis or can you keep your enemy on the air as long as you want just to mess around and keep him hanging?

Soul Reaver
10th Jun 2003, 09:32
As I recall... when Kain chopped his enemies in BO with the Soul Reaver they exploded too...

Can't wait...

Apocrypha Roxy
10th Jun 2003, 19:15
-hugs lucent-

Can I marry you? :p

-hugs Soul Reaver-

Can I marry you too? Being that we're talking together at the moment? :p :D

OugaBooga
5th Jul 2003, 01:51
GOOD report soldier Lucent,puts a BIG :D on my face.
Can't wait to get into some old BO style action:D:D
The mansion is a bit ODD looking from those pic's,doesn't seem to have the erie feeling as in BO,I hope those green lanterns are still lit.Vorador is flat out the kewlest cat in nosgoth.I hope they show what powers he's got now.

Lucent
5th Jul 2003, 01:56
Indeed the skull-lantern ignus fatuus are present on the way to Vorador's mansion.

I'm eagerly awaiting a playable demo to arrive on my doorstep any day....

...please? ^_~

OugaBooga
5th Jul 2003, 02:09
HUH?playable demo?
Is that that cd/dvd that was being offered a month or so ago but NOT to residents outside the USA:confused: x1,000,000
WHY don't we get those goods up here in canda,it's so bloody close to the states:(
& LUCKY you Lucent

Lady_D
5th Jul 2003, 04:10
Excellent report! I simply must see Raziel transform- that is just too kewl! I'm starting to drool already......

fneh
5th Jul 2003, 09:49
Originally posted by OugaBooga
HUH?playable demo?
Is that that cd/dvd that was being offered a month or so ago but NOT to residents outside the USA:confused: x1,000,000
WHY don't we get those goods up here in canda,it's so bloody close to the states:(
& LUCKY you Lucent

no. What you mentioned is a DVD (as ytou said), not a demo. Lucent went to E3.

Trollslayer
5th Jul 2003, 11:08
Originally posted by Soul Reaver
As I recall... when Kain chopped his enemies in BO with the Soul Reaver they exploded too...

Can't wait...

Yes, iirc theSoul Reaver in LoK:BO killed weak enemies in that fashion.

fneh
5th Jul 2003, 11:29
everybody the reaver hit exploded in one hit but it drained your magic more the dtronger the enemy. The only enemies that didn't explode were bosses and they took more than one hit. (presumingly because kain didn't possess high enough magic abilities so even offering ALL his magic wasn't strong enough. I'd like to see how effortlessly kain can weild the soul reaver now. I bet he's strong enough to kill ANYTHING without any drag.)

I wonder if the only reason that kain wasn't able to forge the soul reaver while saving raziel is because he's playable in defiance and the soul reaver would just make kain TOO powerful.

Shrykull_the1st
5th Jul 2003, 16:44
When you played the demo Lucent, did you pass by the pillars before going to the swamp? Or do you know if we will visit that location?

Lucent
5th Jul 2003, 20:56
:Shy: I didn't see the pillars of Nosgoth in the demo I played, sadly. I really wanted to see them while I was playing. I'm sure we'll go there several time in the game though, its way too important to ignore ^_~

Lady_D: As far as Raziel's transformation goes, yes, it does look -VERY- cool, however I bet that in the actual game its going to be 100 times cooler. Judging from the animation Raziel has, I believe that he will possess the bodies of living creatures to return to the physical plane, and then rip up into his raziel body from inside them. The animation was -wonderful- looking.

Fneh: Kain already seem to be a significant amount stronger than Raziel. However in the dem Kain did die of exposure to running water, but that is sensible since Kai did not steal Melchiah's gifts. However his telekenesis and raw physical strength is downright staggering. The fight scene on the brigde with about twenty serafan guards (vs 4 at a time, 20 in total ) was -amazing-.

I personally am looking forward to seeing more of Vorador's mansion and Vorador himself. That part of the game was just graphically breathtaking.

Threnodi
6th Jul 2003, 06:06

say you know how sometimes the sarifan in SR2 say "Go back to hell!!" but when some of them think you are a demon instead of a vampire they say "free your soul, demon..!" maybe they know about these possessions you mention. Like they think raziel is a demon imprisoning the soul of a weakened person to posess their body. Just a random thought. :)

and Lucent, in the demo was Raz posessing live people, or using dead coming-out-of-the-ground bodies? I think you said both, and now I'm confused. Thanks for sharing what you saw at E-3!! (You lucky skug.)

Lucent
6th Jul 2003, 07:30
In the demo Raziel would crawl out of the ground as a corpse that slowly 'ripped apart' to look like raziel. However in the final version of the game, I have no doubt that he will instead be possessing people. The 'crwling from the ground' animation looked a little hastily done, while the transformation animation looked superb.

Zephonim
6th Jul 2003, 07:40
say you know how sometimes the sarifan in SR2 say "Go back to hell!!" but when some of them think you are a demon instead of a vampire they say "free your soul, demon..!" maybe they know about these possessions you mention. Like they think raziel is a demon imprisoning the soul of a weakened person to posess their body. Just a random thought. :)

i though this was to because the time raziel was in (i may be wrong but )
BO1 era they are calling you vampire
after mobeius tricks raz into the future ,then the humans are demon hunters and are calling you a demon
and in the time of the human brethren its a bit of both!!

Well thats my incesant ramblings for now!

Threnodi
7th Jul 2003, 20:25
true, it was more the fact that when people thought you were a demon they said "free your soul!" like they thought you had a captive or something. Or were once good and now imprisoned by evil or what have you. ;)

Evelin The Winged
10th Jul 2003, 17:09
Do you guys think Raziel'l ever tell Moebius 'that he's worshipping a giant squid "? That's really be something...

Dark God Francisco
11th Jul 2003, 21:28
Man from all that I read in this thread I really can't wait for this game I hope development goes well so its on time.

Lucent
11th Jul 2003, 21:39
I have no doubt. But I want to make sure they don't rush it. There were -SO- many glitches in Blood Omen 2 I nearly didn't want to finish playing it.

In fact, the voice tracks were so out of synch at Kain's final confrontation with a Sarafan lord that I missed a small bit of their conversation at the end :(

Don't rush, take it niiice and easy ^_^

Dark God Francisco
11th Jul 2003, 21:46
I have no doubt. But I want to make sure they don't rush it. There were -SO- many glitches in Blood Omen 2 I nearly didn't want to finish playing it.

In fact, the voice tracks were so out of synch at Kain's final confrontation with a Sarafan lord that I missed a small bit of their conversation at the end :(

Don't rush, take it niiice and easy ^_^

Yeah I guess your right but it will be torture to wait.