PDA

View Full Version : What was the best thing in original DX?

Ontrose
17th May 2003, 21:34
For me it was the huge cities full of secrets, they were fun to explore while tracing people you had to find. Cities added lots of credibility to the game.

Also missions like escaping from the prison and infiltrate mission to that secret underground lab in Hong Kong was fun.

Now im kinda worried after reading DX2 interviews that DX2 would be simplified and more centralized around the missions? Less detective work and more shooting, and no more big cities.

Combat in the original was quite fun sometimes, but it was not the reason why the game was so great, i liked the time between missions more than than the missions itself. And fighting againts robots and monsters was kinda dull. Secret underground military bases are rather boring enviroment too, i liked the fighting in streets of New York, or Hong Kong more. If i want good shooter in boring tunnels there is lots of other games to choose from.

Anyway ill hope im wrong, and DX2 will be more than ordinary shooter with complicated missions and different endings.

Zero
18th May 2003, 02:36
I liked everything about Hong Kong. It was just an awesome level. The exploration, the market, the club, Tonnochi Road, etc. It was all good. Sadly, it looks like that will be gone in DX2, as it does appear to have turned into nothing but another FPS game with little actual content.

Belenus
18th May 2003, 03:39
Zero: I strongly agree with you here. I REALLY like Hong Kong in DX1. I dont understand how they can surgically remove aspects like this from a game then claim they arent dumning it down. But, hey, who knows - if we are lucky, maybe there will be a Hub City (or cities) that you get to visit every now and again to get your RPG on. The release is still a ways off and what was at E3 was not near completion. Alot of key things werent properly implemented and they just wanted to show what they had more for marketting purposes to get the name of their game out there. Lets cross our fingers. Also, notice the game isnt called Deus Ex 2 anymore. This doesnt bode well for us but..oh well.

Zero
18th May 2003, 16:24
Yes, release still is a ways away. I've heard September at this point, so I've got my money on November or December. That's plenty of time for Ion Storm to realize what's going on and turn the game around. And there's still a chance that the new style will work out, albeit a small one... I've got my fingers crossed.

Jerre
18th May 2003, 17:47
Everything in the game was great. It wasn't a game were you had to shoot al the time it was more about searching a solution to that 1 question you had to solve. Yep sometimes there were boring parts like in every other game i guess. But after reading some information about DX2 i found out that DX2 is going to be more about shooting and lesser about solving things I just hope it isn't going to be like that.

O yeah I also made a site about deus ex just go check it out here it is
http://www.macdeusex.cjb.net/
see ya :)

Sparhawk
18th May 2003, 18:51
i loved the general atmosphere and the fact that there was a story to be unraveled.....
a voice that guides you, but who is it?
and then the setting of the levels, some were really good and i liked the NPC's ...
things happen around you as well.. nice to see for a change...
Hong Kong was cool yes :)
I also liked the RPG elements in them, upgrading etc....
all in all a good combo and a great game :)

Uncle Ben's Rocket
19th May 2003, 02:46
Innocent bystanders. I think some people can agree with me. Those kids and bums and frenchies didnt really think they could live if they talked to a testosterone charged male with control of an arsenal of mass destruction. That kid who wanted MY chocolate bar instead got two in the face. I mean, my god! Give me the info or get out of my way!

Diesel(can)
20th May 2003, 02:06
yeah, i really loved the number of ways you could take a mission. There were usually 3 different ways you could enter a building, etc. You guys are really worrying me about this all shooter no exploring.

roomba
21st May 2003, 01:58
The absolute best thing about the game was being able to "talk" to people, and piece together what was going on from the snippets of information they'd give.
And some of them would say the most hilarious things if you persisted and kept on "talking" to them.

That and being able to hack computers and read books, notes, and newspaper articles. All the little details that made the gameworld more realistic. Shooting things was ok, but playing detective and uncovering secrets and conspiracies was much more interesting.

One of my favorite levels was the Versalife one where you can go undercover with a faked pass and actually interact with the enemy. Man, the first time I played it I kept waiting for them to figure out who I was and revoke that pass! Twitching nerves--Too cool!

--

:) roomba :)

Konky
23rd May 2003, 10:52
Yep exactly, the thing that made DX so good (the central part that made it good) were the big realistic "youarefreetodowhatyouwant" cities.
Not missions or levels.
The parts of the game that sucked where the missionlike levels at the end.
If Deus Ex becomes like that i'll not buy it. (and i waited for a year for DX2 now.) and i'll have to talk to my friends not to buy it, they'd be mad with me cause i told em the game gonna be great and then they find out it's just a new shooter.

mvaughan
23rd May 2003, 11:13
Deus Ex 2 won't just be a dumbass shooter, it might be a bit more simplified than DX1, but I think'll it'll still be a top-class stealth/rpg/fps game. I really liked New York in the original, it was so seedy and dark. It was a bit dissapointing that the story didnt really change that dramatically depending on your choices, I mean at the end of the day the choice between the 3 endings was determined in the last half hour, not throughout the game. I mean in terms of the story very little changed from saving Paul.

Jock
24th May 2003, 16:14
Ah, for me it was that place called the Lucky Money Club. I would gather up all of the booze and wine in the Club and the Mart next ot it. All of the booze would cover the entire mart floor. Then i drink it all. There would be blackouts and i would be soooooo drunk that i culd wander around and be doing zigzgas. Also the total "drunk time" would be over half an hour. But really i love the entire game(minus the catacombs, though i am now getting better at them). The first game kicked so much arse. I just hope that Deus Ex Invisable War wont be a stupid shooter. If i wanted that(and i do, but not from Warren Spector, he is above that) i would go get Doom 3(which I will). I would hate if Half-Life 2 pulled infront of Invisable War in the interactiveness and storyline. Come on Warren, dont let us down(or there will be adrive by WP GEPing).

Exodus
24th May 2003, 16:24
The best thing about Deus Ex that I love is Augmentations, Hookers, and Nightclubs. ;)

sean74
31st May 2003, 13:55
Originally posted by roomba
The absolute best thing about the game was being able to "talk" to people, and piece together what was going on from the snippets of information they'd give.
And some of them would say the most hilarious things if you persisted and kept on "talking" to them.

That and being able to hack computers and read books, notes, and newspaper articles. All the little details that made the gameworld more realistic. Shooting things was ok, but playing detective and uncovering secrets and conspiracies was much more interesting.

One of my favorite levels was the Versalife one where you can go undercover with a faked pass and actually interact with the enemy. Man, the first time I played it I kept waiting for them to figure out who I was and revoke that pass! Twitching nerves--Too cool!

I agree with him ^ I had forgotten about the whole versalife infiltration thing. That was cool as hell. The whole part about being able to walk around without any trouble unless you started trouble was pretty cool. And man was I on my best behavior when I first hit the streets of Hong Kong.. Crowded and all those people ready with guns made me nervous :) Of course by the end of the level I was such a bad ass I didn't bother worrying and broke in to that convenience store right in front of those Hong Kong Police... great game..

I have to replay that one.. and I don't typically replay games since I'm usually pretty thorough about exploring on the first run and I just lose interest once I've learned all the secrets already

WSimons
2nd Jun 2003, 23:29
Originally posted by Zero
I liked everything about Hong Kong. It was just an awesome level. The exploration, the market, the club, Tonnochi Road, etc. It was all good. Sadly, it looks like that will be gone in DX2, as it does appear to have turned into nothing but another FPS game with little actual content.

I kind of hope you don't mean EVERYTHING about it, I mean the voice acting in that level is some of the worst I've ever heard!!

Finriz
3rd Jun 2003, 03:29
For me it was not only the MJ12 HQ and the Hong Kong levels but the different ways you could go about them. Like in the final 'Ton level After I slaughtered all the police and military soldiers and 'bots there was one civillian still alive (a thug) and was following me. I would haul ass around the corner with the speed enchancement and I would look back and he would be following me. It scared the hell out of me I thought it was Simons and was not about to let him get close. So I hopped back on to the fire escape and went to the roof. Where I proceeded to fire down on him with my assault rifle...and killed him outright. I went down to the ground and checked him out...was not Simons...oh wow. But he scared the hell out of me. That is what I really liked about Deus Ex.

DghtrOfMab
3rd Jun 2003, 06:46
There was so much great stuff, but here's some of my favorites:

• Great gameplay length. I loved the fact that when I was afraid it was about to be over it kept right on going. I wanted it to last forever!

• Some fantastic movie-like scenes that happened constantly. An example and one of my favorites:
In the Lucky Money Club I was at the bar when the MJ12 Commandos stormed in. It was my first time playing DX, and I was freaked out! People were running everywhere in a panic (later I cracked up when I found them all gathered in the men's bathroom). I saw a Commando across the room start to raise his weapon and fire and I barely had time to duck behind the bar as I hear the missile explode behind me. In desperation, I got my dragon-tooth sword out and, still ducking behind the counter, started swinging as soon as I saw his feet. To my surprise and relief, a couple whacks and he was dead.

• Getting to explore, go back to "finished" parts of levels, getting to take all the backdoors, vents, and sewer tunnels I wanted to. Finding new ways of taking out my enemies.

• Lots of fun stuff to mess with after I "seriously" played a level. I know exactly what you mean, Mamlikat, when you say how fun it is too throw stuff at people. Whether it's stacking a bunch of pillows on Lebedev's head, or throwing stuff at the UNATCO front desk guy (he doesn't mind until you throw something heavy like the trophy at him, as my sister found out).

Leo
3rd Jun 2003, 11:39
in one part of Liberty island there are two terrorists talking about Gunter ... man, I threw my whole inwentory at those guys .. I had such a laugh cuz they cept on looking and wondering ... even a gun did not make them redecide ... they thought it is just a homeless guy, man, but sometimes homeless guys carry LAMs ... like the one at the underground access station LoL

pcgamez
3rd Jun 2003, 17:10
The Best Thing Was The Augumentations.

http://www.freewebs.com/pcgamez/www.pcgamerz.tkjpeg.jpg
my site (http://www.pcgamerz.tk)

NoNicknameForMe
3rd Jun 2003, 20:20
As I play it over, the best thing about it is that it came out when it did, the AI is so stupid as to be laughable, I really thought it had good AI back in the day.

TheTrooper
5th Jun 2003, 03:47
The actual segment of the game that I liked was Paris. To me, Paris has a better city environment that New York and Hong Kong.

That said, I really would have liked to see the ruins of Los Angeles, instead of just hearing it mentioned in newspapers and public terminals.

Leo
5th Jun 2003, 18:47
anyway you look at the game backgroung stays the same

the long without end story includes so many different things, just some ppl have some parts better than others, but all in all the long game

PS if EIDOS include cheats in the game, I would definately check out "Spawn Lara Croft" cheat :rolleyes:

skeleton
6th Jun 2003, 17:37
well, it is the story that i liked most bout this game. hthe game also have the element of coolness in it. the way the agents wear, especially jc and simons. they just looked cool. looks like neo from matrix, haha :p

NoNicknameForMe
7th Jun 2003, 17:46
Thereisnospoon

cball05
7th Jun 2003, 21:43
The best part about the game was being about to take so many paths (although they usually ended up coming back together eventually). For example, when your on the plane with Anna you can kill her, do nothing, or kill the guy you're supposed to. Don't you just love planting a LAM right on the door, so when Anna tries to walk in....BAM

Big Ragu
7th Jun 2003, 23:08
One of the biggest problems I think is that they are making it for consoles also which requires the game to be much simpler. The new interface could use some work. It takes up a lot of the screen and it looks goofy. If the developers would just concentrate and make it for the PC first, consoles second, I believe the game would be much better.

Anyway, I just started a new game yesterday and at the beginning on the docks, I ran up to where the first enemies were, shot at them getting their attention, then ran back to the docks behind the robot. I watched from between it's legs as the terrorists were gunned down by the robot. I also did that to the enemies by the contact on the other docks.

That isn't the best thing in Deus Ex, but it was fun.

MR X
8th Jun 2003, 00:40
Personally, I don't mind if its somewhat simplified by means of interface, and going on a shooting spree is easier than the original. As long as its story is as good as the first one, the world is as interactive, and there are still many alternatives to fighting that are worth while :)
After all, thats the idea of the game: You can decide to go around shooting everyone, or you can use means of stealth. The ability of *decision*. If you want to HAVE to sneak all the time, get Thief 3 :)

Big Ragu
8th Jun 2003, 01:01
Originally posted by MR X
Personally, I don't mind if its somewhat simplified by means of interface, and going on a shooting spree is easier than the original. As long as its story is as good as the first one, the world is as interactive, and there are still many alternatives to fighting that are worth while :)
After all, thats the idea of the game: You can decide to go around shooting everyone, or you can use means of stealth. The ability of *decision*. If you want to HAVE to sneak all the time, get Thief 3 :)

Amen. That's is the very reason Deus Ex has so much replayability. You can play through the game once as a silent hacker, then play through it again as Rambo. There are an almost infimite ways to play through the game thanks to the skill system and the different ways to approach maps. I just hope they keep all that made Deus Ex amaze me in Deus Ex:IW.

oneof4
16th Jun 2003, 22:01
To me, hands down it was the story. All of the "Conspiricy Theories" we've heard for years being played out. I was impressed with the "homework" of the writers; we had mention of the illuminati, the Rockefellers, the Rothchilds, even Area51. Pretty good stuff!

Orionsgate
29th Jun 2003, 08:47
I loved the way the game rewarded you for exploring above and beyond the norm, and for making it to hard-to-reach places. The freedom it allowed you to have when you wandered around the cities just poping into ppl's houses and listening to them talk or argue etc...

Also the enviromental freedom was great too, like being able to move a oil barrel or something next to a robot's partrol path (quietly) while it's not looking and then take them both out with only a few pistol rounds was great.

Getting damage to parts of your body and trying to run from guys with guns while you have the equivilent of no legs, granted it wasn't fun but it was still cool.

* One last thing too, did anyone manage to find the entire story for Jakob's Shadow? I went through the game about 5 times and I'm still missing huge chunks of it. Man I want to read the whole story for that.

Trollslayer
29th Jun 2003, 15:50
The best thing for me was to actually go trough the entire game only killing Anna, Gunther and Howard Strong.

dirigimaster
29th Jun 2003, 20:00
Originally posted by Orionsgate

* One last thing too, did anyone manage to find the entire story for Jakob's Shadow? I went through the game about 5 times and I'm still missing huge chunks of it. Man I want to read the whole story for that.

FYI, you can avoid killing Gunther, just a matter of running away and sneaking. He'll eventually lose you and you can just leave.

Trollslayer
29th Jun 2003, 20:16
Originally posted by dirigimaster
FYI, you can avoid killing Gunther, just a matter of running away and sneaking. He'll eventually lose you and you can just leave.

I killed him (and Anna) with the self destruct sentence. Also i don't remember being possible to avoid Gunther... wasn't he right next to the computer i had to use? o_O

NoNicknameForMe
29th Jun 2003, 20:44
I think he will chase you around and if you can get him in place the AI is too stupid to get out of, you can simply just go use the computer and forget about him. It's not real life so if you get past that the dev's just assumed you killed him, the short comings of videogames...

Icarus
30th Jun 2003, 20:15
ME

nasher842002
30th Jun 2003, 21:21
i think it was the 3 differnt endings and the fact their were secrets in every level

Big Ragu
1st Jul 2003, 02:24
This is somewhat off topic but, what do you get when you save Miguel. He is the NSF guy who is in the detention cells when you break out of the Majestic Headquarters. This time through the game I decided to actually bust him out thinking that maybe something cool would happen or he would show up later in the game and give me something, but I'm in Paris and havn't seen anything. Anybody?

Icarus
1st Jul 2003, 03:35
Originally posted by Big Ragu
This is somewhat off topic but, what do you get when you save Miguel. He is the NSF guy who is in the detention cells when you break out of the Majestic Headquarters. This time through the game I decided to actually bust him out thinking that maybe something cool would happen or he would show up later in the game and give me something, but I'm in Paris and havn't seen anything. Anybody?

Miguel just disappears from the game. Ungrateful NSF... sorry I started to act like a human hehe. Do not fret for hopefully he may show up in Invisible War or a modder might make him have a larger role in DX1.

Loreleye
3rd Jul 2003, 16:56
It must be Loreleye, you know him? No? Well that is me in the game, JCDenton as my callname, My real name is Loreleye, and he should come back in IW!!!

One should be named Loreleye in the game, dont you think????

Icarus
3rd Jul 2003, 21:12
Originally posted by Loreleye
It must be Loreleye, you know him? No? Well that is me in the game, JCDenton as my callname, My real name is Loreleye, and he should come back in IW!!!

One should be named Loreleye in the game, dont you think????

:confused:

Bio Denton
4th Jul 2003, 00:18
Originally posted by cball05
The best part about the game was being about to take so many paths (although they usually ended up coming back together eventually). For example, when your on the plane with Anna you can kill her, do nothing, or kill the guy you're supposed to. Don't you just love planting a LAM right on the door, so when Anna tries to walk in....BAM

You can't kill Anna on the plane, can you? I saved my game and then threw everything at her, including unloading all my rockets at her, she didn't die. I don't think you can.

Bio

"The I Hate Hamsters & Wooha Rules Conspiracy"

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 00:29
You can't kill Anna on the plane, can you?

Sure you can! If my memories are correct, I walked as far away from her as I could and went for a few headshots. When you exit the plane, Alex Jacobson tells you something like "OMG how could you, I know she shouldn't have asked you to kill this guy but... I'll erase this from the recordings."

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 01:11
I agree completely with Ontrose and Zero. The non-linear gameplay, sloothing, and exploration of realistic environments and the superhuman augmentations along with the enthralling story are what made this game so great and what earned it 35+ GOTY awards. To change these perfect combinations would be possibly the STUPIDEST thing Ion Storm could do. This is yet another thread that the Ion Storm team should see. We need to make sure that DX2: IW is just a built-on version of DX.

oneof4
4th Jul 2003, 02:14
You can't kill Anna on the plane, can you?

I've played the game twice and faced her in two different locations, the first time on the plane, and I believe I took off running and dropped a "mine" as I exited the bedroom while closing the door. The ensuing explosion took her out.

On another occasion, I had to deal with her in the New York subway station. As I recall, I used a GEP gun to exterminate the little twit.

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 02:21
Yep. Those are, in fact, all of the three possible locations you can take her out in.

James Warren
4th Jul 2003, 05:25
A little over two years ago I upgraded my inter net connection to cable and began a compulsive down loading and consuming of game demos like a drunkard at an open bar. Three dimension, first person perspective environment exploring games (the technological descendants of Castle Wolfenstein / Doom and the ONLY format that I care about) seem, to me, like cheap sweet wines. No matter how much you crave them, after the first serving or two they all seem the same. But one of those game demos was Deus Ex. I knew nothing about it and began to play with my usual rather cynical expectations knowing that, however complex, it was just another maze with one way in and one way out and that NOTHING that I did along the way would change the ultimate outcomes or any "relationship" with any game character.

I was charmed right away by the ambient sounds on the pier and the best voice acting I had yet experienced in a game (I think that effective voice acting or the lack thereof is the single greatest failing of the subsequent mods.) I became intrigued with the richness of conversational opportunities with almost every character which deepened my personal commitment to the plot line of which I seemed to be an important part. But, despite the first decision that I was forced to make about the lethality of my weapon inventory and the weird vaguely pacifist admonitions of my brother, I didn't get it yet and played on in the demo with my old cynical mind set. And finally after busting the terrorist leader at the top of Lady Liberty and exploring conversation with him, as I had learned to do along the way, the punk started to spew some sanctimonious lecture about his moral superiority of purpose which angered me so I put a round between his beady eyes. "Bad form JC!!" The lecture I got from my electronic companion actually confused me about the correctness of my game decision and made me worry a little about what would happen when I got back to base and had to talk with this Manderly guy. I wondered if I had somehow screwed up the game. Yes, for the very first time ever, responding to the excellent voice acting, I actually became emotional from playing a video game (emotional, not just tense from dodging imaginary bullets.) But being the dunce that I can be, I STILL didn't get it and played on in the demo. It wasn't until I finally got in front of Manderly and was admonished for going into the womens toilet and fined for killing the terrorist leader that I finally got it! The game engine tailors the plot and dialogue to the players actions and it has a rich abundance of alterations to fit the players amusement! That is when, realizing that the game was already old, I left the demo running on my machine about 8:30 pm and went straight to Comp USA to purchase the only copy of Deus Ex in the store. I subsequently spent that entire Christmas vacation playing the game that has forever changed my expectations for what a video game should be.

Deus Ex is the only game that I know that truly delivers interactive fiction. And it is my favorite kind of fiction, namely science fiction. That's what I like about it.

Icarus
4th Jul 2003, 06:29
:eek: Wow

Big Ragu
4th Jul 2003, 06:37
Bet that brings tears of joy to Ion Storm's eyes.

Icarus
4th Jul 2003, 06:39

Grey Mouser
4th Jul 2003, 07:57
Bet that brings tears of joy to Ion Storm's eyes.

And some of us folks at Eidos too...sniff

Icarus
4th Jul 2003, 08:44

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 12:20
Deus Ex is the only game that I really got into "emotionaly"... when I decided to unplug Lucius DeBeers' life support system, I really stared at him for a few seconds (minutes?) before doing it. Really strange...

oneof4
4th Jul 2003, 14:57
Thinking back, I almost didn't even install and try the game! It came as a freebie with my SB Live X-Gamer, along with Unreal Tournament, MDK2 and some other game that I wasn't very familiar with: Thief II - The Metal Age. I mean these were freebies, how good could they actually be?

They all three sat in the box for months while I was playing other games, finally I got bored and decided to try Thief II. Good Lord! I couldn't wait each evening after work to get to it! Then came Unreal Tournament, to be honest I have yet to really get in to that. I then started wondering if maybe these other two games might be worth taking a gander at, so I sat and stared at this thing called Deus EX and decided to try it. I just thought Thief II was captivating! I couldn't pull away from this thing, it had me completely engrossed. I've always been facinated by the "Conspiricy Theories" stuff, and Lo-and-behold if this game didn't touch on almost every one of them. Along with the freedom to choose direction, make decisions, etc. How totally amazing!

No game that has come before, or at this point after has even come close to rivaling that of Deus EX.

Of course there's always DX-Invisible War. (C'mon ION Storm, don't let us down! You've got alot to live up to.);)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Jul 2003, 15:30
to be honest; I only bought DX1 at the beginnig because the shop where I bought my games had this offer : £50 for 2 games, from all the new games (meaning something like 25% cut), so I chose Diablo 2 (I had come for this one), and chose DX, only beacause it was the only one that seemed interesting to me (I don't remember the other titles)
anyway, I think I have played more DX than D2 since then.

Big Ragu
4th Jul 2003, 17:39
I actually didn't buy it, my brother did. I just thought Deus Ex was gonna be a big gimmic. When I first saw him play I was about to get some chloroform ready and knock him out. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and go.

Bio Denton
4th Jul 2003, 17:59
Originally posted by James Warren
A little over two years ago I upgraded my inter net connection to cable and began a compulsive down loading and consuming of game demos like a drunkard at an open bar. Three dimension, first person perspective environment exploring games (the technological descendants of Castle Wolfenstein / Doom and the ONLY format that I care about) seem, to me, like cheap sweet wines. No matter how much you crave them, after the first serving or two they all seem the same. But one of those game demos was Deus Ex. I knew nothing about it and began to play with my usual rather cynical expectations knowing that, however complex, it was just another maze with one way in and one way out and that NOTHING that I did along the way would change the ultimate outcomes or any "relationship" with any game character.

I was charmed right away by the ambient sounds on the pier and the best voice acting I had yet experienced in a game (I think that effective voice acting or the lack thereof is the single greatest failing of the subsequent mods.) I became intrigued with the richness of conversational opportunities with almost every character which deepened my personal commitment to the plot line of which I seemed to be an important part. But, despite the first decision that I was forced to make about the lethality of my weapon inventory and the weird vaguely pacifist admonitions of my brother, I didn't get it yet and played on in the demo with my old cynical mind set. And finally after busting the terrorist leader at the top of Lady Liberty and exploring conversation with him, as I had learned to do along the way, the punk started to spew some sanctimonious lecture about his moral superiority of purpose which angered me so I put a round between his beady eyes. "Bad form JC!!" The lecture I got from my electronic companion actually confused me about the correctness of my game decision and made me worry a little about what would happen when I got back to base and had to talk with this Manderly guy. I wondered if I had somehow screwed up the game. Yes, for the very first time ever, responding to the excellent voice acting, I actually became emotional from playing a video game (emotional, not just tense from dodging imaginary bullets.) But being the dunce that I can be, I STILL didn't get it and played on in the demo. It wasn't until I finally got in front of Manderly and was admonished for going into the womens toilet and fined for killing the terrorist leader that I finally got it! The game engine tailors the plot and dialogue to the players actions and it has a rich abundance of alterations to fit the players amusement! That is when, realizing that the game was already old, I left the demo running on my machine about 8:30 pm and went straight to Comp USA to purchase the only copy of Deus Ex in the store. I subsequently spent that entire Christmas vacation playing the game that has forever changed my expectations for what a video game should be.

Deus Ex is the only game that I know that truly delivers interactive fiction. And it is my favorite kind of fiction, namely science fiction. That's what I like about it.

Thank you for so eloquently saying what we all think, but don't have the mind-set to get out in words. You summed it up for me. DX is.. different. It's not an FPS with RPG qualities, nor is it an RPG with FPS qualities; It falls into a grey area, I think it is it's own genre of game.

I actually got DX with a free game bundle that came with my graphics card, ignored it for months and then finally installed it out of boredom. What the hell was it doing in a free bundle! And this isn't recently, oh no, this is while the game was still expensive. Extasy on a CD is DeusEx.

Bio

JeffDenton
5th Jul 2003, 00:29
Deus Ex... from when I first installed to when I had to choose one of three endings (which I actually finished all three) I was mesmerized by everything about it. I had originally gotten the Demo - the "Special Edition" jewel case version for Christmas where it thereupon sat in my desk gathering dust for about 3 months. I happened to stumble across it sometime later and decided to give it a shot. I installed it and was thrust into one of the greatest games of all time. At first I was estranged to the system of augmentations and the inventory (the only similar thing I saw to it before was System Shock) and the player-NPC interaction was beautiful but scary because of the full interactivity. After the first mission I began to realize that my actions altered the outcome of the game and relationships with characters. I also noticed the personalities of different characters: The brashness of Gunther and the oddly passive and sympathetic behavior of Paul (which I later discovered the reasons behind this :) ) I actually began to get emotional comprehending the wrongdoings I did against the NSF working for UNATCO, and the death of Navarre made it worse. I actually smacked my monitor when I remembered and noticed that this was just the demo while leaving with Jock to Hong Kong! I was unnerved by Daedalus, the mysterious contact and was stunned to realize that he was, in fact, a computer (I saw DAEDALUS.MAIN_HUB on a panel). Just completely brilliant... a game out of the league of ANYTHING any other computer gaming company has thrown at us thus far. Let's just hope DX: IW is as good as the original. Oh, yeah... a little off topic, but I would like to see another DX where JC (well, Jeff for me) is the main character. It would be nice to return to the original man who started it all. C'mon... you gotta agree with that, right? :)

Bio Denton
5th Jul 2003, 07:13
Originally posted by JeffDenton
Oh, yeah... a little off topic, but I would like to see another DX where JC (well, Jeff for me) is the main character. It would be nice to return to the original man who started it all. C'mon... you gotta agree with that, right? :)

I just know Alex is gonna be a sissy...

Bio

WaynePleasant
13th Jul 2003, 02:31
I don't know about you guys but I saw Deus Ex first mentioned in 96 (I think, old magazine). Back then, it was only a few character drawings. BUT THEY ROCKED! (btw does anyone remember the chick who said "I like a man with a lot of zippers" I swear thats a reference to the book Brave New World) Deus Ex had the leather and trencoats thing going on long before the Matrix (sorry, I love both, but I have to tell the truth). I think the best thing about DX was all the ways to find or get a place or a person. Wall in the way? Hack that door. Blow your way through the wall. Want to do it a little quieter or with less stuff? Grab those crates, trash cans/bags, and other stackables and make a flight of stairs. Nothin like making your own sniping blind/post. And the environment was cool too. Anybody remember the Naughty Nurse in Paris?

WaynePleasant
13th Jul 2003, 03:14
Better BLIND than DEAD." Here's an example of a thing that was great: Antigone was in a play. She was the daughter of a guy named Edipus who became king of Athens (I think) after breaking the curse of the sphinx that was maurauding the city. (the Greeks had a Sphinx too). Earlier while coming to Athens to find his real father, (he had just found out he was adopted), Edipus had killed the king of Athens, who was traveling in disguise. Not knowing his mistake (it happened during an argument) he continued on. What really would have surprised Edipus at this time was that the man he had killed was his father (yes he is the prince). In Athens they hailed the man that saved the city as their new king since they just lost their old one. The new king Edipus marries the old king's wife (his mom, people, his MOM!) as she isn't much older than him (she was about 14-16 when she gave birth to him). Note that he has no idea who his real family is yet. They have children, and grow old together. Eventually he finds out about his incestual relationship with his dear mother and about the murderer of his father (him!) and plucks out his eyes in disgust (no pain killer people, Thop! Thop!). This also serves as punishment on his family (read the book) hence the line "better blind than dead" as they gods would have killed him had he not taken action. This incest, and, I suspect, the eye-plucking, is destined to occur to all of his descendants (just like Zeus and Chronos). It must therefore happen to Antigone in another play (she has her own) Nice that the guys at Ion Storm put that single phrase in, and it was from all this. Drove me nuts finding out where they got it.

Vladimir Denton
14th Jul 2003, 23:40
Seriously though, if Warren and his cohorts do not fulfill all my expectations I and my DentonDeathSquads shall travel to the Ion Storm HQ and immediatly request Warren and co. to the roof and execution shall follow. Who is with me?

VladimirDenton, Communist!

Icarus
15th Jul 2003, 00:41
Originally posted by Vladimir Denton
Seriously though, if Warren and his cohorts do not fulfill all my expectations I and my DentonDeathSquads shall travel to the Ion Storm HQ and immediatly request Warren and co. to the roof and execution shall follow. Who is with me?

VladimirDenton, Communist!

Men I have the terrorist leader, shall I take the shot?;)

Big Ragu
15th Jul 2003, 01:36
Affirmative.

oneof4
15th Jul 2003, 02:13
Make it so!

vick1000
15th Jul 2003, 02:18
Take your shot Soldier!

Icarus
15th Jul 2003, 05:34
*After firing 300 consecutive shots, Icarus takes out his GEP gun...*:D

vick1000
15th Jul 2003, 08:00
I bet Icarus wishes he would have used his skill points on
Rifles now,instead of Heavy Weapons.:)

Icarus
16th Jul 2003, 04:34
Originally posted by vick1000
I bet Icarus wishes he would have used his skill points on
Rifles now,instead of Heavy Weapons.:)

NEED DIAZIMPAN NOW!!!!!

[SYN] Nexus
16th Jul 2003, 08:34
NOrmally I had to wait till October to buy the game here in the far Belgium.But I couldnt wait so I traveled all the way to San Diego during the summer vacation and got me a copy!

True however I also went for a bit of vacation

nvfin
16th Jul 2003, 11:54
I was perusing the available video games at the superstore perhaps Messiah (shiny) or Theif II, maybe commandos2 would be my choice. I came across a box with a plain yet provocative image of a sunglassed man staring up to a bright light, glanced at the title, recalled something from a magazine: "Deus Ex is everything a game should be" and made my purchase. THe other games could wait.

Games like half-life, DX, SS, SS2, T, T2:TMA are superb in the sense of the level of interactivity thorughout with the gamer. pretty graphics and sounds soon lose their novelty, it takes high levels of interactivity to give the perception that you in the story.

Of all the games i have purchased Deus Ex is the only one to engage me interactively *and* intellectually. Having the details and level of depth present throughout the game to explore subtleties in the plot, join links in character relations and create predictions of the constantly twisting story adds a certain something missing from games which only offer high levels of interactivity.
By engaging on an intellectual level you not only percieve that you are in the story through interactivity, you ARE in the story as your decisions, thoughts and theories are spurred on and rebounded back at you by the game.

That's what i like about DX; immersion as opposed to percieved immersion.

crack_head
17th Jul 2003, 03:42
The first time I played deus ex I didn’t do the training and I didn’t know how to get ammo of the NSF I killed so I ran round with my baton/crowbar so I had to clubb the NSF to death then I found out there was training and I leaned fast im such a goose im so ashamed

Icarus
17th Jul 2003, 05:52
Originally posted by crack_head
The first time I played deus ex I didn’t do the training and I didn’t know how to get ammo of the NSF I killed so I ran round with my baton/crowbar so I had to clubb the NSF to death then I found out there was training and I leaned fast im such a goose im so ashamed

Dosen't a pop-up suggest you do training when you start the first time?

crack_head
17th Jul 2003, 07:21
i thought training was for sissies

i thought wrong :D

HippieHunter
17th Jul 2003, 07:32
Ontreus, Zero, Belenus an others whoi think it will be more about shooting. Where did you guys get your info from? wronggameinfo.com? From what PCGamer said and they are very trustworthy, there will be even more freedom in the game, just as big cities, and you can solve most dilemmas without violence or lethal force. Don't be so worried, it's gonna be a awesome game.

Icarus
18th Jul 2003, 03:27
Originally posted by HippieHunter
Ontreus, Zero, Belenus an others whoi think it will be more about shooting. Where did you guys get your info from? wronggameinfo.com? From what PCGamer said and they are very trustworthy, there will be even more freedom in the game, just as big cities, and you can solve most dilemmas without violence or lethal force. Don't be so worried, it's gonna be a awesome game.

Bob Bobson here from www.wronggameinfo.com, I'd like to to omplain about the post that HippieHunter just put, showing our previews in a bad light. We are as honest as it is true that Daikatana, Blasto, and Postal 1 and 2 are our top three games, and oh yes, Hippie Protector 9000 as well. That DX2 is sure gonna be as much of a stinker as the first one. Ugh, and don't get me stated on those awful Thief games. *Hears a loud thud behind him and sees Icarus tied to a chair and gagged*
Uh-
*JC, Paul, Garrett, and (*insert name of all who wish to be in this scene) burst in, untie Icarus and take turns beating Bobson.
Ugh... Dungeons and Dragons shall corrupt ugh... children... ugh
Fun E*V*I*L...
*Is silened as bullets and an arrow pile into his head.*

Well, I'm back and please, please help me and many other gamers end the reign of terror caused by people like Bob Bobson.

Edit: the link to wronggameinfo.com isn't real, I guess the computer saw the w's and the .com and figured that it was a link.

HippieHunter
18th Jul 2003, 04:23
*inserts himself into the scene with his BOOMSTICK!!!!! *helps untie Icarus*

lol, Icarus you are da coolest!

Big Ragu
19th Jul 2003, 06:42
*Big Ragu watches through the window across the street as all the forum regulars pour into the room to stick a Dragon Tooth up Bob Bobson's *ss.

"All goes according to plan, (insert evil laugh). Vederman!"

(In an Eagor type voice)"Yes master"

"Initiate the LAM detonation sequence."

"Yes master". The Vede begin to pull down the lever."

The Big Ragu watches anxiously as the forum goers beat the crap out of Bobson."My time is now."

A flash followed by a tremendous shockwave rocks the block. Car alarms go off on nearby streets as more explosions insue.

Big Ragu dusts himself off and stares across the street at the source of the detonation. A ruined shell of a building reamins with a crater that falls five feet deep.

"Master, are they dead?"

"Most certainly.Phase one is complete." (Insert another evil laugh.)

Icarus
19th Jul 2003, 08:24
*Big Ragu watches through the window across the street as all the forum regulars pour into the room to stick a Dragon Tooth up Bob Bobson's *ss.

"All goes according to plan, (insert evil laugh). Vederman!"

(In an Eagor type voice)"Yes master"

"Initiate the LAM detonation sequence."

"Yes master". The Vede begin to pull down the lever."

The Big Ragu watches anxiously as the forum goers beat the crap out of Bobson."My time is now."

A flash followed by a tremendous shockwave rocks the block. Car alarms go off on nearby streets as more explosions insue.

Big Ragu dusts himself off and stares across the street at the source of the detonation. A ruined shell of a building reamins with a crater that falls five feet deep.

"Master, are they dead?"

"Most certainly.Phase one is complete." (Insert another evil laugh.)

What they didn't expect was that I was reincarnated as a burrick.:p *belches poison cloud*

Aquinas
19th Jul 2003, 19:02
Just wondering..

a friend of mine told me that there was this 4rth ending, in which if you wipe ALL the targets you see, you end being UNATCO's new leader and put world order. He also told me that the Bum that is in the hospital talking about termoptic camo invasions is the readl Daedalus...

is this true?

Icarus
19th Jul 2003, 19:22
Originally posted by Aquinas
Just wondering..

a friend of mine told me that there was this 4rth ending, in which if you wipe ALL the targets you see, you end being UNATCO's new leader and put world order. He also told me that the Bum that is in the hospital talking about termoptic camo invasions is the readl Daedalus...

is this true?

I think your friend was messing with you about THAT 4th ending, but there is a 4th ending. I'm not sure about what you are trying to say about the bum though.:confused: I've seen the bum in the free clinic, but he's talking about Squalnomie, a battle in which the NSF caught the army by surprise by using thermoptic camo.

Aquinas
19th Jul 2003, 20:36
is the 4th ending the disco one?

Catman
19th Jul 2003, 21:05
Yes, the disco ending is the fourth ending. You can access it only via cheats.

[SYN] Nexus
19th Jul 2003, 21:35
Dam I never know about that ending, what cheat is that.And was that bum really daedalus cause I didnt hear of that either, I thought he was just a part of Echelon

Aquinas
20th Jul 2003, 02:25
with DXMP patch installed, type "t" and delete "say"

then type open dx_opening4 i think, i dont remember the file name. :(

BrainPrawn
30th Jul 2003, 12:05
Gas grenades, LAMs, and tranquilizer darts.

Weapons that could be used both offensively and defensively were excellent, not to mention the non-lethal combat.

Hooah!

lehjr
31st Jul 2003, 05:34
I liked just interacting with characters and their responces to different things. I think it immerses you in the game alot more than just a mindless shooter. The difference between Deus Ex and Unreal, is pretty much the same as the difference between Strife and Doom (for those that played and remember). Amazing to see the difference between 2 games using the same engine.
:D

Aquinas
31st Jul 2003, 05:39
and also thief 2: the metal age, quite three different games.

Thief is similar to DX in the way that it is stealthy.

From_God
31st Jul 2003, 06:14
My favourite part was definitely Hong Kong and my first encounter with the dragon tooth sword, the best weapon ever. What's with all this stuff people are saying about DX IW not having big cities to explore and secrets like the first? I'm gettin' worried here. Those were what made DX the best Computer game ever, along with all the different ways to get by and the augs/skills. I wonder what the system requirements are for DX IW. I hope i wont have to settle for th XBOX version.

Picasso
31st Jul 2003, 23:46
If DX2 will be all about shooting and not about role-playing, I'm just wondering why the developers are always mentioning in interviews that you'll be able to complete the game without touching a weapon. And that there are "tons" of noncombat biomods and far more freedom to define your character. And that there's three times the dialogue there was in the first.

Yup, sure seems like a brainless shooter to me.

mornie andamacar
1st Aug 2003, 07:54
My favorite aspect of Deus Ex are the characters: from Denton's brother (that behaves as a big brother, in such a bold and mysterious way) to that libertarian Tracer Tong. Tong is my favorite character, and the ending of the game involving Tong (that resembles the film 'Rescue in L.A.') is really wonderful. I flelt like Snake Plisskin in that film, taking the world back to the Midages: 'Welcome to the human race ... ' har, har!

I think that the best improvement in the sequel should be to make the characters even more 'alive'. Some romance, in the line of Baldur's Gate II, would be perfect. For, do you know any self-respecting epic adventure that doesn't involve romance?

Greetings, Mornië.

sikko666
1st Aug 2003, 16:05
Best thing about Deus Ex1

The way that everything was so damn near realistic.
It was the first game I played where I actually got an adrenaline rush out of playing!
The cities were modelled on real street maps etc. werent they? I wana visit wan-chai district if they are!

Andrewd0
1st Aug 2003, 17:24
Better BLIND than DEAD." Here's an example of a thing that was great: Antigone was in a play. She was the daughter of a guy named Edipus who became king of Athens (I think) after breaking the curse of the sphinx that was maurauding the city. (the Greeks had a Sphinx too). Earlier while coming to Athens to find his real father, (he had just found out he was adopted), Edipus had killed the king of Athens, who was traveling in disguise. Not knowing his mistake (it happened during an argument) he continued on. What really would have surprised Edipus at this time was that the man he had killed was his father (yes he is the prince). In Athens they hailed the man that saved the city as their new king since they just lost their old one. The new king Edipus marries the old king's wife (his mom, people, his MOM!) as she isn't much older than him (she was about 14-16 when she gave birth to him). Note that he has no idea who his real family is yet. They have children, and grow old together. Eventually he finds out about his incestual relationship with his dear mother and about the murderer of his father (him!) and plucks out his eyes in disgust (no pain killer people, Thop! Thop!). This also serves as punishment on his family (read the book) hence the line "better blind than dead" as they gods would have killed him had he not taken action. This incest, and, I suspect, the eye-plucking, is destined to occur to all of his descendants (just like Zeus and Chronos). It must therefore happen to Antigone in another play (she has her own) Nice that the guys at Ion Storm put that single phrase in, and it was from all this. Drove me nuts finding out where they got it.

This mirrors what I enjoy most about the game as well. Not only did it provide unprecedented levels of interactivity (in many more ways than simply being able to break glass and smash crates), but the game's content just had so much substance. It blew me away that the game actually had a point (moreso than most multi-million dollar movies).

I think the graphics deserve mention as well. There may not be as many polygons or shiny objects as you find in other 3d games of the day, but the style is dead on for the game. I remember reading reviews that complain about a lack of color and detail, thinking that the reviewer in question simply doesn't get it. Everything in that game was tailored to provide the experience that it did, including JC's "monotonous" voice, the combat mechanics, the subdued colors of the environments (and perpetual darkness), the references to books like "The Man Who Was Thursday," the political debates and social commentaries, etc. It amazed me that the game had so much maturity.

As for Deus Ex: Invisible War, it looks like they will be sticking with this. My only complaint is that they are significantly shortening the game. I can understand why they do it (to make it more accessable to your average gamer), but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Edit: I'd just like to clarify that I don't mean to say that DE:IW's graphics are technically less complex or inferior to those of games like Half Life 2 or Doom 3, because frankly they look damn good beside either of those two. What I mean is that they seem to maintain their style simultaneously. :)

Sense
6th Aug 2003, 16:58
I loved the original because it had RPG elements but it wasn't like a normal RPG--magic, monsters.. Some people might like that stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

The game actually had a plot with plot twists. I would've even liked it more if you didn't *have* to do certain things; I hope dx2 is more non-linear.

goody
6th Aug 2003, 19:40
I just loved being able to talk to people in cities and attack them maliciously :mad:
i hope the have lots of background in IW cos de1 was genuinly enthralling

oneof4
6th Aug 2003, 22:12
Tong is my favorite character, and the ending of the game involving Tong (that resembles the film 'Rescue in L.A.') is really wonderful. I flelt like Snake Plisskin in that film, taking the world back to the Midages: 'Welcome to the human race ... ' har, har!

Not that it really is all that important, the name of the aforementioned movie is "Escape From New York", unless they did a sequel that I'm not aware of. If so, please confirm as I will immediately go out to Blockbuster and rent it. :) I too enjoyed Kurt Russell's character "Snake", and even more so the storyline.

woolysockofdoom
7th Aug 2003, 01:28
One thing that made Deus Ex great to me was the RPG element of it. You can play RPG's a lot, and they can be fun, but don't you want to actually BE the character, not just tell them to do things. Also, the huge levels, the storyline, and the interaction all added to the game. This is one of the few games that I've played throught 3 times completely, and every time was at least as fun as most games are the first time around.

I'm disheartened when I hear that DX: IW won't have an inventory, nor will it have skills, but in fact many more augmentations. But, I don't think it will turn out to be one random FPS. The game might not be as great as the original, but I do plan to buy IW and check it out. On a side note, wouldn't it be great if some modders out there re-did the entire original game with the sequel's engine? QUITE a job, but still, I'd love it.

woolysockofdoom
7th Aug 2003, 01:43
On a side note, yes, they did make the sequel to Escape From New York, Escape From L.A.

Icarus
7th Aug 2003, 08:15
Originally posted by woolysockofdoom
...I'm disheartened when I hear that DX: IW won't have an inventory...

Actually I heard that it would have an inventory it's just that every item would take up only one space. *belches poison gas*
Urm... sorry. Btw I don't know if it's just me or does your nickname sound like some obscure magical item in a fantasy game? ;)

gareis
7th Aug 2003, 15:26
Originally posted by WaynePleasant

Hm. Oedipus Rex by Sophocles. Oedipus is the King of Thebes (not thieves, Thebes). Oedipus would have sounded an idiot if the play had used simpler language. In fact, I'm about half done with a parody script of it; both he and Creon ("We always called him Cretin") are bickering fools, and Jocasta is short-tempered.

I didn't, however, realize that Antigone was his daughter. Must not have read it slowly enough.

gareis
7th Aug 2003, 15:41
My favorite thing in DX? Hard to say. I love the multiple solutions to each problem, the skills, the augs, and most of all the interaction with other characters. There should have been more of it. Also, the game was somewhat open-ended (you had to defeat Page, but there were a few ways to do so). I wish it was more so: I would have liked to see JC Denton rise through the MJ12 ranks and eventually assassinate Page in a bid for power, crushing the Illuminati (or forcing an alliance) and destroying his brother in the process.

What didn't I like? Well, almost nothing. There were just a few things that should have been emphasized even more. Perhaps Eidos wanted to make the game more palatable for the "mindless shooter" mentality that has dominated the industry. One thing, though, is that I'd like to be able to kill any character at any time, with the appropriate ramifications. Kill Tracer Tong and Daedalus steps in with the appropriate information--provided you get clear of the Luminous Path. Shoot Jock down next, and you're stuck in Hong Kong while Gunther and a squad of MJ12/UNATCO troops takes you out.

Now, in DX2 I'd like bigger cities with more people to talk to (not just game-related; I'd like to be able to discuss local politics or the price of food) and more freedom in conversations. I wanted to tell Manderley that, oh, Agent Navare startled me into thinking Lebedev had backup, or say to Alex Jacobson that I killed her because I never liked her anyway and saw an opportunity to take her out.

~gareis

Bio Denton
14th Aug 2003, 10:49
Originally posted by Icarus
Actually I heard that it would have an inventory it's just that every item would take up only one space. *belches poison gas*
Urm... sorry. Btw I don't know if it's just me or does your nickname sound like some obscure magical item in a fantasy game? ;)

I'm thinking some twisted release of King's Quest..

Icarus
14th Aug 2003, 23:56
Originally posted by Bio Denton
I'm thinking some twisted release of King's Quest..

Ya, I think it was the sequel to The Brassiere of Elemental Summoning, or was it Mask of Serendipity?

one01
15th Aug 2003, 14:17
I just finished playing the game Deus Ex for the second time this morning. I shut down the four blue fusion reactors, killed Bob Page, and joined the Illuminati. Soon, I will go back and do the other two endings.

What do I love about Deus Ex? There are lots of things. But what I really enjoy is the story, the setting, and the conspiracies.
I love the world that they created with Deus Ex. Deus Ex scares me, but in a good sort of way. The game accurately reveals (at least to me) what the future will be like. Sadly, you can bet the future will be dark.

Bad things happen when man plays God. Right?

I love the insight provided from this game into nano technology. That will be this century's number one innovation. You can count on seeing leaps and bounds in Biology as well. And in many other areas. Computing. If you read WIRED magazine, you would have read about the labs in Florida and New Jersey where they are making flawless diamonds. Five bucks a carat. This will transform computing in the next ten years. The diamond is the perfect semi conductor. It can withstand intense heat. Silicon can only be pushed so far.

It's startling to see how fast we are advancing in technology. We are accelerating into a new age.

In the game, dialogue and script notes hint at biologically engineering human clones to accept the nanites. I almost shudder to think that one day man will be part machine. We already live in a matrix, so to speak. We are controlled by machines. We simply cannot live without them.

Another thing I picked up on in the game, is when Tracer Tong talks about Page and Morgan Everette toward the end of the game. He warns JC, "As long as technology has a global reach, someone will have the world in the palm of his hand."
Yes, such as that is happening. I foresee a global economy. Actually, the Bible foretells it. The economy has to pick up. And it will. We may not have our flying cars, or headlines on papers exclaiming about space stations on the moon. But it will come. The problem with advancing in technology is the economy. If it's not affordable or practical to spend so much money on something, it will not be done. Such is the necessity of Moore's Law. It directs the computing industry in the right direction with the question of, "Okay, when do we release a newer chip, and how fast should it be?"

I am interested in the future. And Deus Ex helps to satisfy my interest as it helps me to imagine the future and what it will all be like.

I hope Invisible War is as thought provoking as the first game.
That's what I want. I want to shift through the conspiracies, and figure out whose side I'm on, and what I'm here for. A shooter game can be fun, but you must provide the audience with the right content to keep them happy.

I trust Invisible War will be worth the wait, and worth the money and time spent playing it.

Now, I wish the team good luck. Make us that game of the year!

Montial
16th Aug 2003, 10:29
The best thing? Playing it for the first time. I can remember ripping into that demo with absolutely no idea as to what was happenin. I clocked thge demo so many times, and when I saw it in the shop I bought it, no questions asked. I havent regretted it.

Godwin
16th Aug 2003, 14:16
to me, deus ex was really the best game ever. the interactivity just rocked, and the storyline, really immerses the player into the game world, the developers did alot of work to make all those news reports and books lying all over levels

i only really played deus ex once, and i gave up around the part where u had to escape from the MJ12 prison, that was really irritating, and then i lost my savegames...bah, wouldve continued if i still had them, the game is so bloody long! and that's good!

remember that level where you had to destroy or shut down the NSF generator in NYC? man that was fun, i was at the 2nd last level, after sniping off the grunts one by one, i just lobbed a LAM down the floors, turned around and ran like hell. then there was the incredible flash, screams and explosions, on the way up the stairs to the roof, i tripped the laser alarm, but nevermind, i had everything planned, i just kept running towards the helicopter coming down, and then there was another flash, i turned around and saw a whole pile of meat lying at the stairs heh, that second LAM sure took care of those NSF soldiers. This is one of the scenes that makes DX so fun to play, and replay, it really gets the adrenalin pumping

dont worry about exploring in DXIW, from the screens ive seen, i think the levels are pretty big, and that middle eastern/desert city looks like it is rather big too, and with warren spector supervising the team, i doubt anything would go wrong

Jovena
17th Aug 2003, 04:46
The whole damn game! It surpassed all my expectations.....

Trevion
17th Aug 2003, 05:17
Originally posted by James Warren
A little over two years ago I upgraded my inter net connection to cable and began a compulsive down loading and consuming of game demos like a drunkard at an open bar. Three dimension, first person perspective environment exploring games (the technological descendants of Castle Wolfenstein / Doom and the ONLY format that I care about) seem, to me, like cheap sweet wines...

In fact, I got into DX the same way, except that it was only a year ago. When my mom found out how much I liked the demo she attempted to find the game, which proved relatively difficult. After a fairly long period of combing video game stores, she finally found an old copy of the game hanging around a store and got it for me. If I hadn't already been completely hooked, that would have finished me off.

I have to second the vote for Hong Kong as the most interesting part of the game. It seemed to me like it had the perfect mix of exploration and fighting. Paris was good, and Chateau DuClaire was an interesting change from the normal levels, but I thought Paris lost a little flavor for only having cops running around.

DX:IW _really_ needs to have more levels like Hong Kong. Granted, it was huge, and it probably took a ton of effort, but it was SO worth it.

EDIT: I can't spell.

No.6
20th Aug 2003, 17:56
The best thing in DX was the saturation of the plot with conspiracy theory references and injokes, from the 23 Skiddoo on the reference pages right up until the very end, and the dynamic plot...

The TWO best things about DX were the conspiracy theory references, the dynamic plot, and the myriad of ways in which each problem could be approached ...

The THREE best things about the DX were the conspiracy theory references, the dynamic plot, and the myriad of ways in which each problem could be approached, and a fanatical devotion to the Pope...

Wait a moment, I'll begin again.

(exeunt)

-----

Icarus
20th Aug 2003, 21:26
Originally posted by No.6
...and a fanatical devotion to the Pope...

Wait a moment, I'll begin again.

(exeunt)

-----

WTF!?:confused:

No.6
21st Aug 2003, 13:46
Nobody expects the Illuminated Inquisition!

Icarus
21st Aug 2003, 18:57
Originally posted by No.6
Nobody expects the Illuminated Inquisition!

*Falls to the ground, explodes.*

Server Cerbrous
21st Aug 2003, 20:30
My favourite thing about Deus Ex was the Special agent stuff at the beginning of the story, that I was fighting for the good of everyone.

But then came Paul's defection and manderley's 'activating the kill-switch' and my loyalities were split.

and then I thought to myself- THIS IS ONE COOL GAME!

~[3]Messíah~
24th Aug 2003, 18:09
The best thing in DX was the MP opportunity.

AlteredGlyph
24th Aug 2003, 21:21
The best thing in Deus Ex was the almost total freedom in how you could accomplish your objectives.
The worst thing was not being allowed to stay with Unatco.

one01
25th Aug 2003, 01:26
why the heck would you want to stay with UNATCO? that says a lot about the kind of person you are.

I bet you are a UN official.

hehe

PDenton
25th Aug 2003, 06:26
I wouldn't have minded playing as UNATCO for the whole game. It would have let me play through the game again, but with different levels, or mission objectives.

The way you got more choices in the way you did stuff was my favourite part. I hope that In IW they have as many or more ways to do each of the levels.

cneal
25th Aug 2003, 06:34
Cities no doubt.

New York
China
Paris

Those were the best

aeon
25th Aug 2003, 19:01
Geez,

I wonder whether some guys from Ion Storm do read the threats posted on this very board.

If you would ask me for a summary, people mostly say the same:

- They loved the long missions and the cities you could explore
- They loved the big size of the levels and the multiple options you had of "going in"
- They loved the sneak-up-from-behind and stealthy style of the game, but were still happy about the ability of using leathal and powerful weapons if nessessary
- They loved the story, including the detailed information you were able to collect during the game (i.e. by hacking computers, reading emails / newspapers, interacting with the NPCs), etc
- They loved the ability to hack security systems and to use them against their owners (I missed the ability of taking control of a security bot and steer it myselft though ;)
- They loved the RPG elements and the customization of JC
- They loved the Augmentations and the possibility of upgrading them
etc

But everyone talks about that just these facts won't really reappear in the sequel!
So, Ion Storm, Eidos Interactive - you want money and you want the game to become a bestseller?! So why the heck do you change exactly those parts your audiance loved at your games and which made it so special??
I feel a little sad that we as the "consumers" of their (the software companies) products are ignored that much.
It seems like most Game-DEVs think a boombastic graphic engine would make the perfect game - sorry but that aint true.

Let's take one of my very favorite RPGs I ever played - Final Fantasy VII. Okay, the background graphics were just cool, but the rest... oh well. But that's not what made the game for me. The most important parts for me in a game are: Story, Story depth, Characters, Gameplay .
Have these words really become foreign language for game DEVs within the last 8 years?
All I hear is: innovation! Revolutionary GAME! Blah blah blah, all I found out trying those "innovative revolutionary games" was that they had been just another C&C Clone, might be one feature (mostly useless features concerning the gameplay) added or slightly changed.

DEVs, ION STORM, if you read this: PLEASE GO BACK TO THE OLDSCHOOL GAMES WHICH HAD GAMEPLAY AND STORY AS PRIORITY NUMBER ONE; not the ****ing graphic engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for paying attention....

aeon

Do not circumvent the swear filter. Catman

Picasso
25th Aug 2003, 20:27
aeon says:

If you would ask me for a summary, people mostly say the same:

- They loved the long missions and the cities you could explore

Harvey Smith says: (http://www.gamespy.com/gdc2003/smith/)

People have the instinct to explore. That's a fundamental drive for me and was prevalent in Deus Ex. As a matter of fact, we will probably be making an exploration pass in Invisible War to add extra content, allowing people to explore the world more without the threat of combat.

aeon says:

- They loved the big size of the levels

DrLoomis says: (http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdeusex/topic.asp?fid=2757&tid=660681)

also, maps are not smaller than in dx1, and even if they were it wouldnt be b/c of the xbox. anyone who saw our demo at e3 (which was running the EXACT same content on both the xbox and the pc) knows that we can put a LOT of stuff in a dx2 map.

aeon says:

and the multiple options you had of "going in"

Dane Caruthers says: (http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/deusexinvisiblewar_i.phtml)

Often while exploring, the player would find a way through an area that the designers hadn't actually thought of. A good example of that in Deus Ex would be that after sending the NSF signal in NY, the fastest way to escape the angry troops inside the building was to turn on your speed augmentation, put on some armor, and simply jump off the roof and hope your legs didn't break. They're all in favor of this sort of approach, and it's part of the base philosophy of the studio. The descriptive phrase for this is 'emergent gameplay', which at a very low level means simply giving the player a variety of tools to work with and then seeing what they do with them in a reactive environment.

aeon says:

- They loved the sneak-up-from-behind and stealthy style of the game, but were still happy about the ability of using leathal and powerful weapons if nessessary

Tara Thomas says: (http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/deusexinvisiblewar_i.phtml)

We want the player to author his or her own experience. If he/she wants to play the game by killing everyone and everything, then that is their choice. On the other hand, if the player never wants to draw a weapon or confront an enemy, we allow for that as well. Having the player form a plan and then giving the player the ability to execute that plan are key to the Deus Ex experience.

aeon says:

- They loved the story, including the detailed information you were able to collect during the game (i.e. by hacking computers, reading emails / newspapers, interacting with the NPCs), etc

Chris Carollo says: (http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP619612110&id=19105&sr1=biomods&sr2=&ExMth=no#post19106)

- There's at least as much story in DX:IW as there was in DX.
- There are many datacubes and books in DX:IW.

And then there's the fact that they've doubled their writing staff for the second game. Anyway...

aeon says:

- They loved the ability to hack security systems and to use them against their owners (I missed the ability of taking control of a security bot and steer it myselft though

Harvey Smith says: (http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=12966)

Some of the new black market biomods allow for some amazing gameplay: Bot Domination allows the player to assume control of bots, from the bot's visual perspective

aeon says:

- They loved the RPG elements and the customization of JC
- They loved the Augmentations and the possibility of upgrading them

Chris Carollo says: (http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP619612110&id=19105&sr1=biomods&sr2=&ExMth=no#post19106)

- The functionality of the skill has been folded into biomods, not eliminated.

and DrLoomis says: (http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdeusex/topic.asp?fid=2757&tid=660681)

consider that we're including way three times as many biomods as the first game (read: more character customization and replayability with different characters) and you guys have nothing to worry about.

Calm down. They know what they're doing.

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 10:38
and im sure we can have a thousand more quotes.

you people should stop whining and worrying

bonzerboy
30th Aug 2003, 18:42
I agree with Leo here.

But I did find something I liked at just about every level.

I like the fact you can kill every living man and bot on liberty Island without firing a shot. Just get your Brother, to do it for you by leading the NSF and their bots, onto the pier.

Either that or lead them into the Unatco compound. That usually causes a laugh.

By the way, when you come out of the Battery Park subway station and Gunther is waiting to ambush you with a couple of dozen troops and bots. Did anyone ever beat him??

And what happened then?

I managed to sneak up one of the sewer ladders and come out inside a shanty hut. The welcoming party didn't expect that, but I still get wasted every time.

Pentti
30th Aug 2003, 19:06
One of my favourite mission was that where you needed to send those messages for the terroristleaders all around the world. It was just so fun. Another fun mission was that base with those big bots in the yard and two smaller bunkers, one with more bots and another one with terrorists hiding.

My favourite big cities were Hong Kong and New York.

There were still some things I didn't like at all: Area-51's monstermakers (big dogs and ugly birds) and the secret submarinebase.

The first and the second time I played Deus Ex, I had that nice feeling, that I've never had on any other game. It felt so good, I can't even describe it...

Deus Ex - Propably the best game in the world. :)
(My opinion)

headbutt
31st Aug 2003, 00:21
In DXIW they say you can make more of your own choises, I would love that, In DX1 it would be so much better if you could turn your brother in or something like tht and se what happens. Also if kil anne navarre on the plane before she can kill the nsf guy it doesn't make any difference, he could go get killed himself and you would never know

Lawnboy360
31st Aug 2003, 01:05
In DXIW they say you can make more of your own choises, I would love that, In DX1 it would be so much better if you could turn your brother in or something like tht and se what happens.

That would be great, but there's so much possibilities, at some point having many unique plots (and content) that a lot of people would never see (most people play games only once if they finish it at all) wouldn't be worth it (development cost-wise especially), unless it is auto-generated in some way (speaking of open-ended games in general).

neostorm
6th Sep 2003, 10:03
I reckon that it would've been good if you were able to kill Paul yourself in the airport, and then get a bonus from Manderley, and get even MORE trust, and then stay with unatco for a reason, rather than just staying for the sake of an extra option...

DXGregor
9th Sep 2003, 15:33
I agree the cities were the best part of original DX, especially HongKong - specific climate, mystical and... totally eastern. It was good.
I have to admit the most fun I had with exploring the world, not shooting, fighting and exterminating everything what moves around. Wanna kill'em all? Play Unreal! DeusEx is much better only because all this detective work and much more realistic locations.

Greetings

Trollslayer
9th Sep 2003, 15:43
Originally posted by aeon
stuff

Isnt it funny when people don't know what they're talking about?

*sigh*

And this is just one example of the game's "fans".

Don
9th Sep 2003, 15:55
The best thing about DX was the amazing storyline and pruposed technologies. It was all plausible and well thought out. I hope they maintain this in the new game.

schrambal
10th Sep 2003, 08:12
It just had a very rich plot and great technologie. Also the dark vision of the future and paranoia (trust no-one :P) was fantastic.

oceanskie
12th Sep 2003, 13:04
1. plot
2. soundtrack
3. walton simon's voice

blackeye
14th Sep 2003, 00:33
it is the most immersive game i ever played in all it's aspects (and to make it even more immersive, i played the whole game with 3D-stereoglasses :cool: )

the thing about this game is that people can talk not only about the nice things they did, but also about the things they did and saw different, conversations like "what did you do there and why ?" tell us for one how we got 'involved' in this game ... not your average game talk, nice !

the moment that got me hoocked:
first time in unatco HQ, i was exploring the building and for some reason found myself in the women's toilet expecting it to be empty ... no there was a nice woman who was at first shocked to see me there, but a little later she said: "are you expecting a show ?" ... ofcourse i wanted that so i spoke to her again but her mood had changed already (she probably was ironic about the show remark :D) and she said: "don't think i won't report this !" ... yeah right, i thought, like that will do anything ...
later i went to manderly for the briefing and in the end he said something like: "oh JC, i had complaints about you wandering in the women's toilet ..."
OHOH :eek: , i didn't see that one coming, damn i was really shocked hahaha !!! she really reported it !!!

btw, hongkong i liked the most of all areas: places, music, missions, atmosphere, ... ! (oh, i just remembered that gang fight in the highwaytunnel, crazy)

Frost Giant
14th Sep 2003, 01:03
Originally posted by blackeye
it is the most immersive game i ever played in all it's aspects (and to make it even more immersive, i played the whole game with 3D-stereoglasses :cool: )

the thing about this game is that people can talk not only about the nice things they did, but also about the things they did and saw different, conversations like "what did you do there and why ?" tell us for one how we got 'involved' in this game ... not your average game talk, nice !

the moment that got me hoocked:
first time in unatco HQ, i was exploring the building and for some reason found myself in the women's toilet expecting it to be empty ... no there was a nice woman who was at first shocked to see me there, but a little later she said: "are you expecting a show ?" ... ofcourse i wanted that so i spoke to her again but her mood had changed already (she probably was ironic about the show remark :D) and she said: "don't think i won't report this !" ... yeah right, i thought, like that will do anything ...
later i went to manderly for the briefing and in the end he said something like: "oh JC, i had complaints about you wandering in the women's toilet ..."
OHOH :eek: , i didn't see that one coming, damn i was really shocked hahaha !!! she really reported it !!!

btw, hongkong i liked the most of all areas: places, music, missions, atmosphere, ... ! (oh, i just remembered that gang fight in the highwaytunnel, crazy)

:D Yeah, I remember when that hapened....ah....the memories. I hope DX: IW will have memorable moments like that.;)

nick.ae
14th Sep 2003, 14:11
Best thing in DX was The End!

JC & Helios>>> One!

Famous, I Was Looking on It with my mouth opened, i cant breath, i cant scream, just famous!

Trollslayer
14th Sep 2003, 14:16
Originally posted by blackeye

You mean not the average FPS conversation, i presume?

James Warren
14th Sep 2003, 21:21
aeon {
The most important parts for me in a game are: Story, Story depth, Characters, Gameplay .
. . . not the . . . graphic engine!
}

Well, for me that's a yes and a no.

Here is the no:

For me, exploration of a beautifully rendered environment is a very large part of the enjoyment of a First Person 3D game. That is why I spent so much time running around Vvardenfell and Mournhold in Morrowind. That exploration itself is a big part of the fun for me. But the virtual world has to be rendered in a credible way that is consistent with the technological age of the game. Taking into consideration Moore's law I wonder why any developer would not take Valve's approach in shooting for the absolute top graphical performance with each new effort leaving the "accessibility" issue as a technical scaling problem. In surprisingly short order all gameable computer hardware, including the consoles, will spiral up to meet the current highest rendering standard. The better your product is in rendering objects that the player must recognize to play the game the longer the viable sales life or so I would think.

Here are two examples from DX1 where the graphical rendering itself failed for me and where both could have been obviated with a higher standard of graphical rendering:

1) In the hangar that held access to the Hong Kong level I quite tore everything up desperately looking for the way out. The defenders were all dead. Stuff that didn't need to be shot was clobbered. And I ran through that control room at least a dozen times to no avail because the button "object" that I had to push looked just like all the rest of the plain flat textured drawing on the control panels. In desperation after many tries I ended up just touching everything on the control panels until I found a "real" object.

2) Placing the charges within the bowels of the freighter was an act of random trial an error for me because I could not recognize the actual places that "x" marked. I must say, though, that once set, the exponential earth quake effect on the escape from the ship had me going big time! It was very effective in rattling me, confusing my sense of direction and scaring me. When I finally got top side I felt as is if I had actually escaped fatal danger!

I am not saying that the three new game elements of plot line choice, "emergent game play" arising out of multiple problem solutions and the game engine's ability to follow player actions with unique and appropriate dialogue and plot line introduced by DX1 REQUIRE the highest possible rendering standards but that graphical rendering accuracy absolutely can not be ignored. And I believe that "pushing" the graphical rendering envelope can ONLY help with plot immersion, suspension of disbelief and marketing longevity.

Here is the yes:

For me too, exploring the multiple story lines by way of player selected dialogue with game characters is truly a key element in my love of Deus Ex. This is why, although Morrowind still resides on my hard drive, I can not bring myself to go back either to Vvardenfell or Mournhold. The exploration is over and the conversations seem not to lead anywhere new or interesting for me. I can find no character that I care about or with whom I can develop a meaningful relationship. I am sure, however, that this is true only for SOME people. If you are a Morrowind fan please accept, in advance, an apology for my disgusting ignorance.

In Deus Ex, however, I found each character that offered conversational opportunity compelling or useful. Each one was another chance to find out what was going on and how this whole weird mess was going to turn out. I was hooked. I could not stop playing the game. My wife laughed at me the whole time. She found my compulsion to finish Deus Ex as amusing as I found the game. In literary terms Deus Ex was a "page turner" for me.

link84
14th Sep 2003, 21:56
i have noticed Deus Ex is becoming more like HL and HL2 is becomign more like DX i just hope DX2 still has the great storyline and fun gameplay cause nothing touches DX1 not even HL

Lawnboy360
14th Sep 2003, 23:04
i have noticed Deus Ex is becoming more like HL and HL2 is becomign more like DX i just hope DX2 still has the great storyline and fun gameplay cause nothing touches DX1 not even HL

I don't see how HL2 is becoming like DX. It's still a totally linear game; your character never even talks! The only difference with HL (beside weapons, enemies and so on) is that because of the physics you can blow more stuff up or throw it to enemies. And I don't see how DXIW is becoming like HL either.

James Warren
15th Sep 2003, 00:04
link84{
. . . i just hope DX2 still has the great storyline and fun gameplay cause nothing touches DX1 . . .
}

DX1 had a magical balance between scripted story and wild-eyed "let the player be is his own brand of cowboy" action didn't it?
This interview with Spector convinces me that they haven't dodged the challenges in trying to expand upon this unique game play in the sequel:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/437/437838p1.html

Spector{ . . .
The interesting thing though, is in Deus Ex, we never let you pick your goal. We always said, "Here's what you have to do next. Figure out how to do it yourself, but here's what you have to do." In Invisible War, we said, "Let's take risk. Let's see what happens. Let's let players pick their own goal and decide who they're going to ally with." And it's been a nightmare. It's really cool though; it's a good nightmare; I've always told people it's better to fail gloriously than to succeed in mediocrity. I feel like a motivational speaker all of the sudden. . . .
The problems that are really worrying me, that number one problem I'm having right now, is "I don't know what I'm supposed to do right now. This faction wants me to kill somebody, but I don't want to do that. This faction wants me to hack a computer, but I don't want to do that. I don't want to do the things I've been given the option to do." If you say, "This is what you have to do, this one thing," players just do it because that's the way to keep moving forward in the story. The moment you give them two, three, four options, they start going, "But I don't want to do any of those." And you're in a whole new world of game design hell.

And we'll solve those problems too; we're tackling them as they come up in gameplay. That's why we need blind testers. Oh my god, the testing effort on this game unbelievable. We'll either succeed, and I think we will obviously, or we'll fail gloriously. It'll be terrific; we'll learn something.
}
The article is dated September 11, 2003 and Spector says "Anyways, right now, we're months away from shipping Invisible War."
Sounds like we all could be making a little Deus Ex whoopee on our Christmas Vacations (oops, I mean Winter Breaks. Please forgive me comrade officer it was an honest mistake for an obsolete old gummer from the time of the constitutional republic like me to make)

sajcd
15th Sep 2003, 00:38
Actually Lawnboy360, HL2 and DXIW use the same physics engine (made by Havok).

Lawnboy360
15th Sep 2003, 00:52
Actually Lawnboy360, HL2 and DXIW use the same physics engine (made by Havok).

The point is, DX uses physics to create multiple solutions to problems the developers may or may not have planned.

In HL it is not; everything is planned, scripted as in HL1 or physics in HL2.

Perfect example is the "Traptown" video. There's the big fan in the middle, you activate it and the physics engine determines that it will kill zombies that touch it because it spins very fast. In HL1 it would have been the same, except they would have placed invisible brushes over the blades which cause damage. The result is the same. The only time you could say it creates multiple solutions is when you choose to kill enemy X using your shotgun or by throwing a heavy object at it using the anti-grav weapon.

sajcd
15th Sep 2003, 01:46
The point is, DX uses physics to create multiple solutions to problems the developers may or may not have planned.

Point taken.

Although there are traps in HL2 that use the physics engine. The difference, however, would (perhaps) be that in HL2 the traps are scripted where in DXIW YOU make the traps...something like that anyway.

Now, bringing this thread closer to the original topic...

I'm playing through the original DX for the first time (yes, I know)and one of the things I like the best is that there's always multiple ways of achieving goals and you don't have to achieve all goals. I guess that is partly what makes a good role playing game. It's nice to see that the physics will allow solutions that the devs never thought of. It's a way to leave your mark on the game and that's really cool.

Maybe when the game comes out we can make a new thread about all the off-the-wall solutions using physics.

James Warren
15th Sep 2003, 03:45
link84{
i have noticed Deus Ex is becoming more like HL
}

These are both done deals. They are both from yesterdays obituary news with neither of them becoming anything but more and more obsolete. How did you mean this?

link84{
and HL2 is becoming more like DX
}

Well I certainly hope that this is the case. In order to make a Deus Ex like game the game engine will have to act like a data base application storing away all of the players actions in data tables so that it will know who the player is trying to kill or impregnate and who is still alive or already pregnant (so to speak.) If the player tries to kill an important information giver, for example, the game engine must consult the table and either disallow the action or make a fresh entry of the untimely death of a critical game character in order to be prepared with an alternate information route.

The interviews that I have read with the HL2 developers (I don't remember where now) have HL2 doing this very thing in principle. The lab video where Dr Kliner says "Oh do be careful" has been said to be completely unscripted. The game characters, it is said, are "aware" of every action of the player. Also, no cut scenes are said to be used so, presumably, the speech in Kliner's lab by Alyx is done in game by "context" somehow.

It is all very promising. I hope that it is not all JUST a promise of the marketing machine.

sajcd
15th Sep 2003, 04:23
The interviews that I have read with the HL2 developers (I don't remember where now) have HL2 doing this very thing in principle. The lab video where Dr Kliner says "Oh do be careful" has been said to be completely unscripted. The game characters, it is said, are "aware" of every action of the player. Also, no cut scenes are said to be used so, presumably, the speech in Kliner's lab by Alyx is done in game by "context" somehow.

James Warren

Clever...if true...

Sounds like we all could be making a little Deus Ex whoopee on our Christmas Vacations (oops, I mean Winter Breaks. Please forgive me comrade officer it was an honest mistake for an obsolete old gummer from the time of the constitutional republic like me to make)

James Warren

Our direction indeed.

AzarN
16th Sep 2003, 06:48
Its a futile effort to try and describe every wonderful thing about Deus Ex. Almost everything about it is excellent.

Remember when you first stepped into Tonnochi Road and the Ambience just overwhelmed you?

"Not advisable to visit the canals at night"

Or when you first stared down into the Hong Kong MJ12 base from the glass catwalk and saw the Alien lying on the stretcher?

Or when you first saw Paul near the 747.

The music, the interactivity, the sidequests, the environments, the NPC's, the STORY!

Near everything about Deus Ex exudes excellent quality and it is STILL my favourite game, three years after its release. The game is now packaged free with soundcards, but its still the greatest game ever made.

But , the voice acting for the bartender in the Lucky Money was attrocious...

Sylvester Ink
17th Sep 2003, 06:18
My favorite part about Deus Ex was how the official UNATCO homepage kept getting so many visitors after the game was released that they had to post a disclaimer about the game at the bottom of their website. Okay, so it doesn't have anything to do with the game itself, but it was darn funny. Now that's how you know that a game has made a real impact upon the world! (I tried checking up on it, but apparently the UNATCO website hasn't been up since Sept. 11)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 07:39
does anyone know the templar's or the illuminati's Homepage, so I can be ready for the next DX?

James Warren
17th Sep 2003, 12:08
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
does anyone know the templar's or the illuminati's Homepage, so I can be ready for the next DX?

I'm sure you were joking but here is the chapter "local" to my area of the worl
You may have a "local" chapter too.
http://www.knightstemplar.org/

The illuminati have an "unlisted" number but you might start here:
http://www.conspiracyarchive.com

And here's a fun one complete with theme song:
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~boogles/Illuminati/

ILLUMINATI
-- To the tune of "Eleanor Rigby"
11-07-88
Steve Jackson, Joe Vail, Creede Lambard

Illuminati...
They put a thing made of tinfoil on top of my door...
What is it for?
Illuminati...
Shooting a ray at my cornflakes to make them turn green...
What does it mean?
The Illuminati... They're watching me, I know.
The Illuminati... They're everywhere I go.

Illuminati...
Doing unspeakable things in the night to a cow...
Where are they now?
Illuminati...
Sent an impostor in place of the Popsicle man...
What is their plan?

Illuminati...
They cancelled Star Trek, The Fonz, and My Mother, the Car...
Are they bizarre?
You can't escape them;
Even if you take a plane to Nepal or Peru...
They'll be there, too...

I know that they know all about me...
They know that I know all about them...

Illuminati...
Hide their assassins' instructions in newspaper text...
Who will be next?
They're all around us...
Underline every third word in the Times and you'll see...
How can it be?

They're in the attic and the cellar...
Bigger than Hunt or Rockefeller...

Illuminati...
Go through my garbage and count all the pop bottles there...
Why do they care?
They're out to get me...
They're fluoridating my water from their UFO...
What do they know?
The Illuminati... They're everywhere, I see.
The Illuminati... And no one knows but me.

Frost Giant
17th Sep 2003, 12:30
If they had snapping fingers I would have used that instead of the cool face but I think it does the job anyway. That was a good and entertaining poem. Thank you for sharing it with us.;)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 12:33
thank you, I just tried the llinks and I was surprised :

there is no link to a templar page in France.

I thought the Templar Order were created in france (Ok, Philippe the 4th destroyed the order and had the chiefs executed, but I thought they would have come back since then)

Godwin
17th Sep 2003, 13:40
i thought it was established throughout most of western europe?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 13:42
in that case, they don't have a Website in France

jcd_2025
20th Sep 2003, 13:54
ive heard that there will be no skill points in dx iw
even though that was one of the best things about it.

i think they need to learn one thing: If it aint broke dont fix it

AlteredGlyph
20th Sep 2003, 16:02
jcd, the skill points were one of the worst, most unrealistic things in all of the original deus ex. How does exploring a canal give you better weapon skills or lets you wear disposable armor better. Frankly, I hated the skill system, and it's a GOOD thing that they are integrating some of the skills, but not all into the aug system,. JC was a highly trained agent, and I think he would know how to shoot straight, without exploring little sidevents and houses, etc..

Lawnboy360
20th Sep 2003, 22:43
ive heard that there will be no skill points in dx iw even though that was one of the best things about it.

http://messenger.msn.ca/Resource/emoticons/50_50.gif

The best things about DX were the immersive dystopian world, the interactivity with objects in the world, and the various ways to complete a given objective. The skill system was pretty unimportant. (IMO)

Don
21st Sep 2003, 11:29
The new system to replace the skill points sound excellent. It is a far more plausible way of developing a character. But as Lawnboy said, it's the interactivity and choice (not forgetting the story line) that make the game so immersive.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Sep 2003, 14:01
haven't we already discussed all that?

ok, it wasn't in THIS thread, but I think a little more reading would have avoided a new round