PDA

View Full Version : Defiance - Not for me

Vamperic
13th May 2003, 11:52
I have been waiting for the story of Kain and Raziel to finish but this Defiance thing is gonna suck for me cause the reason I liked the Legacy of Kain series was for the story.

2 characters in one game, that may work for some games but not for this game series.

Defiance sounds more like a hack and slash than an involving story and they have made it this way cause of a bunch of wingers saying there wasn't enough action in the previous games if you wan't action go play a FPS.

And the graphics don't look that good (maybe just crap screenies)

They should just have made SR3 and finish the story.

Since when can he do that.

Vampmaster
13th May 2003, 11:58
Hack and slash is fun but I don't want them to trade off the story and puzzles for it. There should be a balance guardian in the real world to keep these things in check. The graphics on the other hand look great.

Serul
13th May 2003, 12:20
If you read the Ign article (which has an interview with Amy Hennig), it says that although the team focused a lot on the combat, the story hasn't been dumbed down.

It's SR2 with more gameplay. :)

Valaquen_
13th May 2003, 13:43
Yeah and since its early days the graphics won't be brilliant just yet.

noamber
13th May 2003, 13:59
same here , the things that drew me to the lok series were the plot , atmosphere and voice acting.
for me fight mechanics were never that important , and if i want DMC moves , then i'll just play DMC.
on the other hand , if the plot is on the same level as BO1 or SR2 and has no ' to be continued' at the end , i'm in on the action.

Riovanes
13th May 2003, 14:14
Wow, Vamperic, as a long-standing LoK fan, you must REALLY know all about what makes the LoK series great! I mean, gee, I sure wish that I had purchased BO1 the DAY it came out for the PSX... Oh wait... That WAS me... And NOT you... That's right...

Well, you still have these awesome writing skills that obviously qualify you to make judgments on a story you haven't even SEEN yet. After all, someone with such a longstanding depth of fandom and such mad spelling skills as yourself (I mean, look at how you spelled "quote" for God's sake! And the blatant misuse of contractions - clearly just to confuse we members of lower intellect here! Masterful!) is clearly capable of deciding whether or not Defiance's story will suck, despite the fact that Hennig and her team have yet to reveal anything but the barest of tidbits about it. Yup, you're just plain ol' telepathetic, aren't you? You must be a professional writer, to be able to make such qualitative judgments off the cuff! In fact, I bet you're getting a degree in English/Literature, and you'll be finished next year! Oh wait... that's me again... I'm sorry.

And as for the DMC mechanics, brilliant job on making commentary that NO-ONE on this board has thought of bringing up five-hundred times already. You know, I really thought originality was a dying thing here on these boards - but I leave it to one-time slam posters that have nothing but negatives to say about a game that hasn't even been shown at E3 just yet (since the floor show starts tomorrow) to restore my faith in our creative ability. Thank you, Vamperic, I feel refreshed and renewed because of your clear-cut dominance in terms of opinion over the rest of us, and the sheer eloquence with which you make judgments upon a game that NO ONE has seen yet. Just... brilliant.

Please, do keep posting things like this! In fact, I want to know what you think of the upcoming X-3 project! Most fans seem to think the Phoenix Saga is next in line for that series, but since no one's even seen the script yet, I want to know what YOU think! Oh, and I NEED to hear you say that the Matrix had a good, deep, involved plot that wasn't just a poor cover for people that wanted to make a high-end (and very enjoyable because of it) special effects movie! Please, oh great one, TELL me that plot wasn't just a weak foundation upon which they built their flash-bang thriller!

BAH!!!

saravok
13th May 2003, 14:40
They keep the adventure elements in balance with the combat, and I think that only makes Lok: d a better game.

noamber
13th May 2003, 15:28
riovanes ,

i have no idea how you got the impression that i had reached any conclusions about defiance by comapring it to DMC , it was just an opinion.
your referring to me as:'one-time slam posters that have nothing but negatives to say about a game' couldn't be further than the truth and very condescending(you're an expert) , as i've been following the series from 96.

if you have anything to say against my english then look no further than my destination , that's right , i'm from israel , i'm sure it'll spark up some more tasty remarks from you, and i'm sure that everyone knows you're an english major.

and i'm terribly sorry for inconveniencing you by bringing up DMC for the 501st time , try working in army intel after the next american/iraqi conflict and tell me if that works out for you.

thanks

Blade2642
13th May 2003, 15:36
I remain optimistic :D I mean we haven't even seen a demo from the game yet. But the screens are great. Pardon me for beeing a imature 15 year old but I like action and good fighting but I love the story more than anything! I have my faith in that Amy will make a great game both story-wise and action-wise!
YEAH!! :D
*Leaves thread*

But why this fighting ehhh why not be friends??
*offers bong*

blincoln
13th May 2003, 15:38
IMO it's a little silly to discount a game that won't be out for six months. It took me awhile to warm up to the idea of both characters being playable back when the rumours first started, but especially after seeing the preview video I know this game is going to be excellent.

Vampmaster
13th May 2003, 16:16
Originally posted by Blade2642
But why this fighting ehhh why not be friends??
*offers bong*

Hehe, Nicely said!

Riovanes
13th May 2003, 19:19
Originally posted by noamber
riovanes ,

i have no idea how you got the impression that i had reached any conclusions about defiance by comapring it to DMC , it was just an opinion.
your referring to me as:'one-time slam posters that have nothing but negatives to say about a game' couldn't be further than the truth and very condescending(you're an expert) , as i've been following the series from 96.

thanks

Erm... I wasn't talking to you, friend. If you'd check the post, you'd see everything I said was directed towards Vamperic, and not yourself.

My apologies for any miscommunication.

BAH!!!

noamber
13th May 2003, 19:38
oops , i just thought it was aimed at me because of the DMC quoatation , sorry.

Vampmaster
13th May 2003, 20:14
I think DMC should be considered a swear word here from now on.

Darakari
13th May 2003, 20:35
WHERE DID YOU FIND A PREVIEW VIDEO OF LOK: DEFIANCE?

I searched on the internet, and all I found were a few screenshots. The graphics were great, but all of the websites I found were non-english, so I still couldn't read anything about it.

PlayStation online wasn't any help either. All it had was advertisements to convince you to purchase the magazine.

Raziel689
13th May 2003, 20:40
You know posting something like "Defiance - Not for me" you are basically asking to be flamed. Riovanes was just the first person to get to it.

blincoln
13th May 2003, 20:51
The video is available on the Eidos site, and is linked in the IGN thread that is like two lines below this one in the topic list.

Reaver of Souls
13th May 2003, 23:26
IMO Raz looks weird. He doesn't look as dark and gothic as he did before, he almsot looks, ...cartoony. I don't really know how to describe it, but it is kinda strange.

Other than that, looks great! And I hope they don't just give Raz telekenetic powers, he should have to find/earn them.

Secrets Of Nosgoth
14th May 2003, 04:01
Raziel already did find telekenetic powers. At least that blast of his he has had since SR1.

The IGN article kind of hinted that Kain's TK will be much stronger from the start than Raziel's. Maybe that means he will have to find out how to control and improve his TK powers before it is on par, or closer to Kain's.

blincoln
14th May 2003, 04:45
I think he looks better with the brighter colours. It makes him contrast more with Kain and the scenery.

Umah Bloodomen
14th May 2003, 04:56
They beefed him up a bit. The jawless wonder appears a bit more detailed (musculature-wise) and definately a brighter blue. (At least he won't get lost in the dark). The downside is that the enemies are more likely to spot him coming from a mile away. :p

DarkWraith
14th May 2003, 07:53
ahh but then you have to be sneaky!!

Future's Scribe
14th May 2003, 08:10
Raz has always had TK powers. That was the manor in which he picked up weapons.

Vampmaster
14th May 2003, 10:44
I think if you need to find combat skills, they should be the optional secrets and the things that let you progress to new areas you should get from bosses/forges.

Omega
14th May 2003, 10:53
Crappy "screenies"?

So, you didn't bother to think that the game is still under-development and that, as blinc said, it won't be out for another six months?

Didn't even consider the fact that the quality of screenshots now would be nothing like the final finished quality? I'll agree their not up to the usual LoK standard, to some extent. But then again, I did think that it's only preliminary shots.

If you don't like the game, fine. Your opinion. I'll respect that. When you intentionally slander mine - and others - favorite game series on the basis that the 'screenies look crappy' or that it's not your cup of tea.. screw you.

A majority of the LoK fans are extremely happy about the both leading characters being playable - myself included.

2 characters in one game, that may work for some games but not for this game series.

Who made you Judge and Jury?

blincoln
14th May 2003, 11:19
I don't care if the game is under development or not, the screenshots look 10000 times better than any previous game in the series.

A Perfect Synergy
14th May 2003, 12:32
Well, er... *coughs*

This isn't the brightest perspective to start with now, is it? But I suppose it's each to his own...

From what I've seen, LoK is shaping up to be a great title, with the unification of the characters thrown in to tighten the storyline - and it is the storyline that's the main concern, right?... Not disputes over new attack combos and "crappy" screenshots. Mmm?

*insert inappropriate language here*

Crappy? *cue more inappropriate language*

Hmph, if it turned into DMC overnight, I'd still buy it - but I'm a hopeless devotee of LoK, so I'm bias, discount this whole reply.

*disgruntled* But then, I thought everyone in this forum was a hopless devotee.

Blade2642
14th May 2003, 12:47
*jums upm and down*
Oh Oh I am!!

BTW. The screens look great better than previous games. Theay are a bit un-polished though like a few graphical errors, but they'l have plenty o time to fix that...

Riovanes
14th May 2003, 14:21
Yeah, that's what I didn't get... If your issue's the story, then what the hell do graphics, combat system, and two characters in the same game have anything to do with it? You seem to forget that even when Raziel had his own series, it was still titled, "Legacy of KAIN: Soul Reaver." Notice how our favorite old-as-dirt bloodsucker has always been part of the games - hasn't been a ONE he hasn't been in yet - so adding him as a playable character really only makes logical sense. It allows you to see things from Kain's perspective within the frame of this adventure, instead of him just being this enigmatic guide. The story Crystal D tells in this volume will only be affected by the two-character setup in that we'll see both sides of it for a change - which will really only make it that much better.

In any story, a dual-character system actually provides more depth - especially if you're using first-person limited story-telling from the character's perspective. In our case, the game is a mix of third-person omniscient (because we can see events and make our own conclusions well before the characters know what the hell's going on), and first-person limited (because we're still playing the roles of characters that can only experience events through their own eyes and personalities, and not ours). This kind of amalgamation lends itself well to OUR understanding of the story - at least, one side of it. But with this new dual-character presentation, we're looking at getting Kain and Raziel's take on similar (if not the same) events - and really, I prefer that to a single-character narrative. I've been using the dual-character system to write short stories and work on my novel for years now (the novel project is only a couple of years old, as some people here might remember... I'm going to get back to it soon, I promise), and it's worked well for me. At least give it a chance here before you go off declaring that the game's gonna suck because of it. Or if you must do that, at the very least provide some intelligent backup for what you're saying, yes?

BAH!!!

Vampmaster
14th May 2003, 15:28
To whoever was complaining about screenshots: Are you talking about the ones in PSM. The reasons those one look like that is because it's scan of a bad scan. All the other screenshots look better than ever.

Apocrypha Roxy
14th May 2003, 19:21
I think the screenshots are fantastic.

Given, the trailer was in a rather small screen (winamp's lil thingy), and it wasn't very clear on some shots from far away, but the graphics are phenomenal, and it's no where NEAR finished yet - this gives CrystalD the opportunity to really beef things up in terms of gameplay. If those were just early previews, then the final product will be mind-blowing.

I want my mind to be blown away.

Whoops, there it goes...

I can't wait for it to come out, but I'd rather they took their time, make it absolutely perfect.

I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas... :D

------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and download the Thief trailer - it's beautiful. Beautiful. The 'screenies' are even better. It's all 3D! YAY!

Riovanes
14th May 2003, 19:38
*coughs*

Someone still owes me a date, doesn't she, Roxy?

*grins*

BAH!!!

Apocrypha Roxy
14th May 2003, 19:48
You can bet yer bippy, Rio! :D

I thought you forgot... hmm... *grin*

Let's see what we can do about it... eh? -wink wink coy smirk batting eyelashes blow kiss-

You give me the time and date, I'll choose the location. We'll take it from there. ;)

Riovanes
14th May 2003, 19:58
Never forget a pretty lady! I've just been busy as hell.

Hmmm... I'm open all next week. Anytime after the 20th - pick yer time and place.

*wink wink... wink... wink... wink...* dammit... got something stuck in my eye...

BAH!!!

Apocrypha Roxy
14th May 2003, 20:27
8:00 PM

Table for Two at the Abyss.

We'll get live entertainment by seeing Razzy-boy repeatedly getting chucked over the edge, then magically come back. :D

The Brethren will play B Minor Concerto Flute & Orchestra as we dine on Chicken Cacciatore and Chocolate Mousse, with Espresso after dinner (affectionately known by my father's friend as Italian Crack).

Then...

Your place, or mine? :D :p

Riovanes
15th May 2003, 00:55
Depends... Will your parents be home? ;)

BAH!!!

A Perfect Synergy
15th May 2003, 12:20
Well, I hate to break up the party but...

*raises eyebrow*

Apocrypha Roxy
16th May 2003, 01:03
-chuckle-

I have a lock on my bedroom door.

You do the math.http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/ed/wink.gif

Ooh... I'm going to get a tongue lashing for that last one... hmm. That doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

Okay, I'm going to shut up and be a good girl now...http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/dday/angel.gif

Umah Bloodomen
16th May 2003, 01:31
Originally posted by A Perfect Synergy
Well, I hate to break up the party but...

*raises eyebrow*

I'll just go ahead and second this and also kindly request that the *dating game* be taken through private channels.

Apocrypha Roxy
16th May 2003, 01:36
:rolleyes:

Okay, okay, I promise to be good...

:D

Back on topic, then.
-snicker-

warpsavant
16th May 2003, 02:09
Why do people make judgements when we hardly know anything about the plot of the game and already people write it off? Stupid mortals.

Umah Bloodomen
16th May 2003, 02:13
Originally posted by warpsavant
Why do people make judgements when we hardly know anything about the plot of the game and already people write it off? Stupid mortals.

Spoken like a true deity. ;) I prefer to stay away from plotline elements at this point. Most of my discussion is related around gameplay elements. It's a bit too early to speculate about the plot, IMO.

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 03:59
Ahem...

"Hello Pot, this is Kettle! Mighty fine weather we're having today, isn't it?"

"Yes, yes it is. Certainly not the kind of weather for making hypocrisy-related speeches through witty use of colors as symoblism for intrinsic personal qualities, wouldn't you say?"

"Quite, quite."

BAH!!!

the dark one
16th May 2003, 07:07
Plus no offense to the artist that drew the BO2 Kain but we also get to play the best looking Kain to date in my opinion. I sure hope we really this game this year then when I go home for X-mas I can show my sisters the rest of the story.

Embla
16th May 2003, 07:31
Originally posted by the dark one
I sure hope we really this game this year then when I go home for X-mas I can show my sisters the rest of the story.

Why don`t you persuade your sisters to play the game, and experience the story first hand ? :)

the dark one
16th May 2003, 08:43
Oh she has it's just that depending on when the game comes out i'll probably have played the game to end many times. so it's just worked out with past games that it is quicker for me to play the game so we don't run out of time. even so we trade off only when she is stuck or has to watch her kids and stuff.

See i only see my family about once a year I am in washington they are in oregon.

I still remember the first time everyone was around the tv waiting to see the end of SR1 and when the best words came on the tv TO BE CONTINUED... I heard everyone say oh no! What I want to know what happened!

Thank you amy and everyone who brings us these great games.

I just hope this game is not hard and I'll get to the end.

okay i am done.

Embla
16th May 2003, 09:26
Originally posted by the dark one

I still remember the first time everyone was around the tv waiting to see the end of SR1 and when the best words came on the tv TO BE CONTINUED... I heard everyone say oh no! What I want to know what happened!

Yeah, I remember that moment too. But in our house the reaction was completely opposite. It was more like: Oh, YES! THERE WILL BE MORE!!
Normally, when you finishes a game you really like and wants to play more of, you have to wait forever before you know if there will be a sequel or not.

Adrian Tepes
16th May 2003, 10:26
Originally posted by Riovanes
And the blatant misuse of contractions - clearly just to confuse we members of lower intellect here! Masterful!) BAH!!!

I agree 110% with what you were stating in this post. However, don't you think that it looks really bad for an English major to criticize another for bad grammar, when the English major himself makes such a blatant mistake? Obviously, the "we" in your statement should be "us".

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 14:36
Originally posted by Adrian Tepes
I agree 110% with what you were stating in this post. However, don't you think that it looks really bad for an English major to criticize another for bad grammar, when the English major himself makes such a blatant mistake? Obviously, the "we" in your statement should be "us".

Actually, that's not a mistake - although it's certainly common enough for people that haven't made a dedicated study of language to think it would be, so I don't fault you for calling me out on this.

The use of the term "we" in place of "us" is actually a throwback to older forms of English, and certainly not the Americanized version. Talk to anyone from the British Isles, and you'll often find them using "we" to describe a group to which they belong as opposed to saying "us." "Us," is actually almost entirely an American word, and has only recently been picked up (recently being the last one-hundred years) within other English-speaking countries. So really, using "we" in a sentence before the descriptive pronoun is perfectly acceptable in most cultures, and it still is in American literature as well.

Allow me to provide you with some examples:

Religious: From the song, "We Three Kings."

"We three kings of Orient are..." The use here is to place the definite article before the descriptive pronoun due to the need to define who is speaking. It wouldn't sound all that great to say, "Us three kings...," now would it?

Literary: From "Ender's Game," by Orson Scott Card.

"And we of the third class were often regarded as..." Again, this is an instance where the definite article promotes linguistic flow. If it read, "And us of the third class...," it would sound as if some backwoods redneck were talking.

"We," is actually perfectly interchangable with the longer descriptor, "Those of us," so you are at least in part correct with your assessment of my post.

I'll admit that I do occassionally still make mistakes in my wording and grammar - but I never make blatant ones - I've been at this damn subject too long for that. By the way, in case you're interested, the history of words and their uses throughout history can be learned through any nomenclature or literary morphology course, or you can look up specific words on the OED online at any time without taking a course.

That's probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but hey, this is my professional ego I'm defending here. No touchy the ego!!!

BAH!!!

uglymonkey
16th May 2003, 15:15
Erm - my tuppeth worth . . .

These are forums aren't they? - places for open discussion . . . . and therefore airing of opinions . . .

Tasters and prerelease info are intended to raise opinion . . .

So what's the problem with the opening post? nothing!

Riovanes, your post was an eloquent one but rude, egotistical and nothing more than an personal attack on another member - it did not add value to the thread in any way . . .

James

Adrian Tepes
16th May 2003, 16:02
I still beg to disagree. I think "us" should be used because it is the direct object of the verb confuse. Whereas "we" is simply a subject. Also, all the examples you provided look perfectly fine to me because they are all using we as the subject, not the objective form. I do not want to argue with you because I respect you opinions, but I also have an English degree and would love to place a wager on it.:D :D :D

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 16:26
Alright, bring it on... Although I'm not quite sure who we should go to for this sort of thing - perhaps a professor, but being that I'm out of school, it would be hard for me to contact any of them just now. If you have any ideas I'm all ears!

By the way, I'm perfectly open to being proven wrong - it's just that I've always been taught that "us" when used in the context we are now discussing would be more a slang term than anything else, which is why I resorted to "we." So if you come up with someone that can tell you and I for certain who is correct, then I'll be just as happy to say, "Gee, my fault," as I would be to say, "Nyah nyah!":p

Seriously, this is intriguing... If I'm wrong, it's better to find out now, so I don't keep making the same mistake.

BAH!!!

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 16:30
Originally posted by uglymonkey
Erm - my tuppeth worth . . .

These are forums aren't they? - places for open discussion . . . . and therefore airing of opinions . . .

Tasters and prerelease info are intended to raise opinion . . .

So what's the problem with the opening post? nothing!

Riovanes, your post was an eloquent one but rude, egotistical and nothing more than an personal attack on another member - it did not add value to the thread in any way . . .

James

Nor did the initial post really add anything of value to this thread other than to say, "This game sucks even though I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not going to give any support for why I'm saying it!" That's what we call a "slam" posting here - and if you'd be so kind as to read the ToU again, you'd see that those things are frowned upon.

Besides, which is worse? To chastise someone for not giving something a chance - or to denigrate the work of an entire team of programmers, writers, artists, etc., before you even see their work? I wonder - if a forum is a place for discussion and the "airing of opinions," then is it also a place for angry speech delivered in ignorance of a subject? Wouldn't seem that way to me, but then again, I'm just rude and arrogant, what would I know?

BAH!!!

Adrian Tepes
16th May 2003, 16:43

So if you come up with someone that can tell you and I for certain who is correct, then I'll be just as happy to say, "Gee, my fault," as I would be to say, "Nyah nyah!":p

Seriously, this is intriguing... If I'm wrong, it's better to find out now, so I don't keep making the same mistake.

BAH!!!

LOL:D It's on! I have no idea how we are going to resolve this, but I am sure we will think of something. Since I was so bold to challenge your grammar, if you prove me wrong I will send you $20 via paypal. If I prove you wrong, I just want some sort of recognition. Also, I hate to do this, but "tell you and I" is not the proper usage in the quote above. It should be "tell you and me" because I is a direct object of the verb tell.

:D :D :D :D This is becoming very intriguing for me.

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 17:37
Bah... *tucks his tail and goes hunting for a spare 20 bucks*

You and I should technically be grammatically correct for written communication - in speech, you and me would be more practical. Linguistic separation by usage - so stick that in your proverbial pipe and... um... er... smoke it, I guess?:p

Actually, the pipe wouldn't be proverbial, would it - considering there aren't any proverbs with a pipe as their direct subject...

Anyhow, we'll find resolution, I'm sure. And if I'm right, don't sweat the cash - I'll just settle for being able to wiggle my bum in your direction. If, on the other hand, you're right, I'll... hmmm... I'll strip myself naked, cover my nether regions with taco shells, and run around town singing "I'm a Little Teapot" at the top of my lungs - and I'll send you the tape!

Sounds as if you'd better start praying that I win...;)

BAH!!!

Adrian Tepes
16th May 2003, 17:44
OMG!!! I could actually imagine that! LOL!!! Rio, you are great!

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 18:45
Originally posted by Adrian Tepes
Rio, you are great!

That's what SHE said... ;)

BAH!!!

SIGIL
16th May 2003, 18:48
Anyhow, we'll find resolution, I'm sure. And if I'm right, don't sweat the cash - I'll just settle for being able to wiggle my bum in your direction. If, on the other hand, you're right, I'll... hmmm... I'll strip myself naked, cover my nether regions with taco shells, and run around town singing "I'm a Little Teapot" at the top of my lungs - and I'll send you the tape!

I don't know Rio I mean you ARE in college. Isn't that kind of thing a normal occurence in such places? :p

I am intrigued by the derailment of this thread into a discourse on Proper Grammatics, from the distgruntled complaints of nebulous game flaws.

Please carry on. ;)

Apocrypha Roxy
16th May 2003, 18:50
Send me the tape, too...
http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Riovanes
16th May 2003, 18:58
Actually, the most common occurence of nudity at my school usually takes place after a round of Euchre. For those of you who don't know, Euchre's a card game played with two teams consisting of two people each. When one team loses the set (to ten points), they have to strip and "run a Reagan." Allow me to explain...

Ronald Reagan went to my school - graduated from there, actually (I go to Eureka College). Naturally, admin's really proud of that fact, so we flaunt it mercilessly on all our prospective students. Of course, this lead to the current students being annoyed by the over-use of the old man, and so we made up a little joke using his name. There's a bridge that goes between the academic and residential parts of campus - it literally divides the place into two halves - and so we use this as our mark for where "nudies" are run to. You lose a hand of Euchre, you strip down, run across the bridge, turn around and run back. Over time this came to be known as "running a Reagan," because you have to pass by the Reagan Fitness Center on your course to the bridge - needless to say, we don't discuss Euchre during visits by prospectives.

Oh, and by way of bragging rights - I'll be a senior next year - one more year of college and I'm out. I play a lot of Euchre, and to this day I have never been forced to run a Reagan. I have, however, dyed my hair black,shaved the middle off of it so I'd have a shiny dome, and padded my clothing so I'd look like a certain professor for homecoming. Remind me to share the pictures sometime. Fortunately, this campus as a whole has never been subjected to a naked Rio - although some people may have seen my bare ass when a group of us drove by the Dean's house to show him how we felt about a certain change in residential policies...

*chuckles*

And anyway, Apocrypha - you won't NEED the tape... ;)

(Anyone else think this whole portion of the thread will just disappear next time it gets checked? Maybe we should move this to its own place...)

BAH!!!

solidsnake
16th May 2003, 19:53
Totally off topic but I couldn't resist asking... everyone here at my college either plays euchre or pitch. Personally, I am into pitch but everyone upon everyone says they are very similar? Does anyone there play pitch or am I just sounding like an idiot here?

Umah Bloodomen
16th May 2003, 22:34
Originally posted by solidsnake
Totally off topic but I couldn't resist asking... everyone here at my college either plays euchre or pitch. Personally, I am into pitch but everyone upon everyone says they are very similar? Does anyone there play pitch or am I just sounding like an idiot here?

That depends, do you really want us to answer that? J/K :p :D ;)

I've never played Pitch myself, but have been known to dabble with Euchre. (Not so much anymore though).

Riovanes
17th May 2003, 04:44
To be quite honest with you, I've never even heard of Pitch, so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. Maybe it's a regional thing?

BAH!!!

Apocrypha Roxy
17th May 2003, 21:39
I have no idea what you're all talking about.

(the card bit, that is.)

I don't play cards. Yes, I know, I suck. The only thing I see people on campus play is Poker (for money - though there is the risk one of the school guards will see you and THAT is not a good thing); Magic, Yu Gi Oh or whatever it's called...

To quote a friend, Jack:

"THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR HANGING OUT WITH A BUNCH OF ALCOHOLICS!" :D

Man, from what I see here, College is gonna be a ball!!! :D

And anyway, Apocrypha - you won't NEED the tape...;)

Ya promise? :D :D :D

Vampmaster
18th May 2003, 12:15
Yep, College Studant = Alcoholic :D

solidsnake
18th May 2003, 15:42
Alrighty... looks like I was indeed flying solo on that one... boy that hurts.

Adrian Tepes
19th May 2003, 22:01
I have been trying to find a way to finally settle our wager, and decided to turn to online resources. Here (http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns.htm) is a link that describes our dispute. If you look at item number four, you will see that it has been simply explained. This guide is for formal written English and is quite adequate at presenting all the basics of proper usage. If you need to be convinced further, I have dozens of links to college level resources. :D :D :D

I almost forgot. Go here (http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/quizzes/pron2_quiz.htm) and look at number eight also.

Apocrypha Roxy
21st May 2003, 00:27
I was too lazy to look at Adrian's links (no offense, I'm just sleepy, is all - I love the English language, really, I do!).

SO, I was wondering...

Rio, will I be seeing that tape of yours, anytime soon? :D

Riovanes
21st May 2003, 00:48
Pffft...

Okay, okay, so I lose. Lemme go get my camera...

And Apocrypha, you kinda have to be here for the... um... "private" portion of the taping, don't you? ;)

BAH!!!

Adrian Tepes
21st May 2003, 07:40
I cant wait to see that tape.:p Seriously though, I have to apologize for even starting my stupid childish rant about English. Sometimes, I get so bored that I look for things to complain about. Anyway, I think LOK: Defiance is going to be the sweetest game from Eidos/Crystal D ever. Well, maybe Tomb Raider will be better HA, When HELL freezes over and G Dubya gets over his crack addiction!!!!! I think that its only competition this coming fall will be perhaps Castlevania: Lament of Innocence and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
I suppose that everyone can tell I'm a Konami fan. That's not really a bad thing though really. I'm just waiting to see Capcom beg crystal D to be in one of its new VS. games. I can just see it now, LOK VS. Capcom VS. Marvel Super Heroes. Now that would be a really @#*ked up title.

Apocrypha Roxy
21st May 2003, 18:32
. And Apocrypha, you kinda have to be here for the... um... "private" portion of the taping, don't you? ;)
BAH!!!

This is definately going to be a Kodak moment! :D

I think we'll have to have a few takes on it, ya know, to get it juust right. The lighting, the makeup, the... tacos...

Get me some plane tickets to your neck of the woods, and I'm there, babe! :D

Riovanes
21st May 2003, 22:37
If you're sure you can HANDLE a few takes, then bring it on!

Just out of curiosity, where the heck ARE you, anyway? I'm sorta gonna be in London for the next two months or so, so "my neck of the woods" is about to change drastically...

BAH!!!

Apocrypha Roxy
22nd May 2003, 02:25
If you're sure you can HANDLE a few takes, then bring it on!

Just out of curiosity, where the heck ARE you, anyway? I'm sorta gonna be in London for the next two months or so, so "my neck of the woods" is about to change drastically...
BAH!!!

BRING IT ON, RIO! :D :p It's a little somethin' called staying power - you got it, boy? ;)

I'm in New York City. Brooklyn, to be exact. I can see Coney Island from my bedroom window. Complete with fireworks in the summer, small old-fashioned 'fisherman' shacks, the ghetto(s), The El with the W train passing by at all hours of the night (helps me get to sleep, don't laugh!) and gunshots at night year-round.

'Tis a grand place to grow up. :D

For at least the next 6 months or so, I'm going to be living at home while attending college. Then when I have enough $$$ scrimped up, I'll get a little hole in the wall to call my own. I can't wait. It's bedlam in my household... BEDLAM, I tell you! :D

So, you're going to the UK soon, and right now you're somewhere... in Illinois or somewhere? Cornfields? Did I hear that right? You said Eureka college, so... I'm not sure where that is, and I'm too lazy and tired to look it up since I'm not going to school out of state anytime soon.

Ah, well. I can send you tacos. God knows we have everything - and I mean everything - in the city. Live eels, drag queens (think The Village, my friends), you name it - we got it.
I'm sure I can get a few tacos. :D

OugaBooga
30th Jun 2003, 01:45
well well well,i almost forgot what this was all about for a page or so.
Anyhow,I tot the 09MAY03_WEB_LOK.wmv was just %#@#@%$ AWESOME ! ! !
I just love that tune thats playing,it had me so pumped up i was rdy to go & punchout a campus worth of drunk frat boi's;)
Mwaaaahahaha,JK.
well,i have all good faith in crystal D & eidos,AS of YET i've not seen a bad game.[ALL's been very well done]
I remember this 1 game back in 98 or something -->> Akuji...LOVED that game tho most didn't:( too bad there's not been a 2nd coming of it :(x10
What really impresses me bout this defiance title is that it seems to me like a 3D BO1.This title is gonna win ALOT of ppl over to it,i'd wager on that:D
i'd like to say that it'd be AWESOME if they made a FPS version of this series [LoK-Fatality;)].I really love walking around viewing the world from the characters eyes.I'd like there to be all those neat armours & swords & powers....etc
Basically hundreds of stuff kinda like diablo has with weapons/magics.

this brings me to my 1st game ever played on PSX [1995]which i CAN't shake off even to this day called--> KINGS FIELD.Man i LOVED that game so much,i'd recomend any1 to play it.
something like that with LoK would be really cool IMHO or maybe add a feature to 1 of the next titles that allows you to play in 1st person view throughout the game:D:D [more weapons & powers can NEVER hurt a game too]
As you can prally tell i'am an OverKill kinda guy !EVER try the mod Excessive Overkill for q3 or ut?
Oh,1 more thing,what is DMC? is that good?
OK,enuff of my ramblings,good day

Apocrypha Roxy
30th Jun 2003, 16:51
I'm sure if you check this or the LoK community chat forum, you'll find the thread WHAT IS DMC?

All your answers will be revealed.

And as a side note: just know that DMC is considered a cussword in this forum for multiple reasons. Tread carefully. :)

Umah Bloodomen
30th Jun 2003, 22:53
What is DMC? (Appearing in the LOK CC). (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17562&highlight=DMC)

Apocrypha Roxy
1st Jul 2003, 00:07
Thank you.

:p

tomb_raiding
29th Jul 2003, 22:55
I think Defiance is gonna ROCK :)

punkst4r
3rd Aug 2003, 06:18
i wan't defiance already

Apocrypha Roxy
4th Aug 2003, 21:14
Ah, D-Day can only come too soon...

-sighs dreamily of Raz shifting realms-

garbagefanuk
4th Aug 2003, 22:25
Ok this may seem pretty arrogant but since i started the whole "Its a clone of DMC" thing, way back when Umah put me on ignore *s******s* I wish it to stop! On seeing further videos and pictures i've come to repent and say it looks nothing like it other than the mindless violence (which it seems may not be so mindless if u have to feed ur Reaver and urself)

Thats it kids... :p

punkst4r
4th Aug 2003, 22:51
Originally posted by garbagefanuk
Ok this may seem pretty arrogant but since i started the whole "Its a clone of DMC" thing, way back when Umah put me on ignore *s******s* I wish it to stop! On seeing further videos and pictures i've come to repent and say it looks nothing like it other than the mindless violence (which it seems may not be so mindless if u have to feed ur Reaver and urself)

Thats it kids... :p

The only reason it seems like mindless violence is because you haven's heard any part of the story and all you've seen in the trailers is just fighting but i'm sure that the game is far from that.

Zephonim
4th Aug 2003, 23:12
Originally posted by punkst4r
The only reason it seems like mindless violence is because you haven's heard any part of the story and all you've seen in the trailers is just fighting but i'm sure that the game is far from that.
Yep i agree and also id like to point out that its seems like its only kain with the wild dmc type moves (im not bothered where they are from 'cause they are cool anyways) Raz does have the same moves but they seem to me as a totally diferent feel(players will know what i mean) like Kain seems a bit more restricted with his swing, Raz seems (to me ) to swing himself(hehe) with a smoother controlled motionng ,but i could just be that its the different attitude the reaver has towards Raz than what im used to ,if anyone can dig this,maybe :confused:

punkst4r
5th Aug 2003, 00:19
Originally posted by Zephonim
Yep i agree and also id like to point out that its seems like its only kain with the wild dmc type moves (im not bothered where they are from 'cause they are cool anyways) Raz does have the same moves but they seem to me as a totally diferent feel(players will know what i mean) like Kain seems a bit more restricted with his swing, Raz seems (to me ) to swing himself(hehe) with a smoother controlled motionng ,but i could just be that its the different attitude the reaver has towards Raz than what im used to ,if anyone can dig this,maybe :confused:

I guess since raziel has the reaver attached to him it seems different and kain uses both hands.

Apocrypha Roxy
5th Aug 2003, 00:29
Maybe because Kain just raises Hell with the blood Reaver, and Raziel's getting some much needed therapy by beating the snot out of sluagh/thralls/Janos Audron?

:p

tomb_raiding
20th Aug 2003, 22:18
LOL