PDA

View Full Version : need some help from all you brilliant taffers :)

amievil?
11th May 2003, 19:23
well, i done it :D i just bought my new computer. before i had a 4 year old compaq 350mhz with 4gig and 64 ram(the horror)

i bought an hp 2100mhz 256ram 60 gig hard drive. xp is very new to me, ive never used it heh....so anyway first thing i did was start deleting junk. then got the system resources up to 99.47% free. ok now what i need.....

i havent tried to install the thief games yet. is there anything i need to do before installing on xp? its the home version... ive heard some folks have had probs installing thief 2 on xp, and since im not familiar with it much yet i would like advice on that.

second, and more important. i bought a cable so that i could connect both of my computers together and transfer over files(namely my .mis files and the like) but i dont have any idea how to do that. is there a program i need to get to be able to do that? i read in the manual something about this but hmm....

any advice would be appreciated. the video card for this pc is the only thing that sucks, i have to get a geforce which i was going to get yesterday(right after i got the computer) but they were sold out of them. ill be getting the card soon though! actually the card thats in this one is intergrated which isnt too good for games but i tested it last night with a rock concert on dvd and it performed perfectly so it may run thief 2 fine. im thinking calendras and frobbers one as far as processer horsepower. if i have probs running the new stuff like i said i will be getting the new vid card in a week or so :)

oh and 17 in and bigger monitors ownz :D

theBlackman
11th May 2003, 20:28
In the NETWORKING program for XP is a set up for DIRECT CONNECT. I haven't tried it but it's supposed to allow synchronization of 2 computers or direct plugin of a laptop.

It's kinda like a LAN but is a plugin plugout setup.

For THIEF on XP you need a Force command.

How do I install Thief on Windows 2000 or Windows XP?

Go to Start, then Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce, where d:\ is your CDrom/DVDrom drive. (note: That's -lgntforce, with a lowercase "L"... easily confused with an uppercase "i" depending on fonts... If you're unsure, copy and paste it from this window.)
This problem arises because Win2K and WinXP are based on the NT kernel, which had DirectX support which was flaky at best. Thief needs DirectX to run, so, when the installer sees the NT kernel, it assumes that the game isn't going to be able to run and quits the installation. The -lgntforce switch tells the installer to ignore the NT kernel and install anyway.

My ingame movies (briefings and cutscenes) aren't playing anymore, how do I fix it?

You have to reinstall the indeo video codecs. You will find them on Thief: TDP's disc, and on disc 1 of Thief Gold. If you have Thief 2, you can find them on CD2 (the file is iv5play.exe); or you can download them from here (link will open in a new window).
This problem often arises because of conflicts with some other programs such as Realplayer or Windows Media Player, the video codecs become corrupted and no longer work.
There is an incompatibility between the Indeo codecs and Windows XP. If you wish to view the ingame movies and have Windows XP you must install the codecs every time you play Thief.

Alternatively:
Scrooge's Permanent Movie Fix

1) Locate (use "Search") the file named "regsvr32.exe". It is located in the Windows SYSTEM directory (if w95x/ME) or SYSTEM32 (if 2K/XP), copy it in your thief installation.

2) Create a "text document" named "RegIndeo.bat" and copy/paste the following text:

"regsvr32.exe /s LGVID.AX" (without quotes)

3) Save it (The file extension must be .bat)

Simply double-click on the file when your movies don't play.

Note: due to the "registration" process, it is not needed to repeat the operation in all your installed Thief/Gold/II, simply use one of them. The "registration" process will fix the problems in all installed Thief games present.

Then look at this thread:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65801&highlight=XP

And this one:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48024

amievil?
11th May 2003, 22:58
ive figured out how to transfer files and am currently importing files from my old computer. i am going to try to copy everything in the thief 2 folder on my old computer to the new one. if thief doesnt play then i will fix it :D

kinda cool to be on the internet at 56k and on connected to my other computer at 20k(fast as she'll go haha) all at once....yes i can finally multi-task things :D

on the indeo codec: it was already on my xp, maybe i have an updated version or something...i guess ill have to wait and see if the movies play correctly or not, may have to do that fix for them. thanks dusty!