PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Maxims

Riovanes
11th May 2003, 00:09
No, not that adolescent-inspired magazine, you perverts! I'm talking about your favorite credo, motto, or otherwise life-directing statement by which you build your reactions to the world. I've found most people don't even have one, which is probably just as well - it means your reactions are original at all times - but by the same token, it's good to have a ground rule or two, at least. So let's hear 'em, folks!

I'll start the ball rolling with two of my favorites...

"Never stop learning. To declare yourself a master of anything is to be ignorant, but to be a student is to know." <-- That's a semi-original, partially adapted from a friend who simply states, "Never stop learning."

"If you have the guile to stab me in the back, do the favor of having the spine to do it first to my face, thank you. Declaring war in whispers is no more effective than attacking a lion with a flyswatter - so be brave under your own words, or they will mean nothing." <-- A Rio original (which is why it sounds like ass).

<Edit to add the credit for the first maxim>

BAH!!!

Umah Bloodomen
11th May 2003, 00:22
Fantastic idea, Rio!

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell, and kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change."

~ The Marquis de Sade ~

"Success is thy proof; argue not, convert not, talk not overmuch! Them that seek to entrap thee, to overthrow thee, them attack without pity or quarter; and destroy them utterly.
Swift as a trodden serpent, turn and strike!
Be thou yet deadlier than he!
Drag down their souls to awful torment:
Laugh at their fear:
Spit upon them!"

~ Liber AL vel Legis III:42 ~

I suppose I could also include the Voltaire statement beneath my signature images.

Riovanes
11th May 2003, 00:32
Hmmm, thought of another...

"Live your life as if the world could see every moment of it - do only that which you truly believe in, or at least don't care what other people think of - as you never know what someone else might see that you do not think they can." -Rio

BAH!!!

SexlessDemon
11th May 2003, 04:09
"Can I bum a ciggy off someone by any chance?" - my all time favourite when I'm gagging for a cigarette. (I usually say f*g but I didn't realise that this thing has censorship)

But seriously, I keep using this quote over and over again to my friends.
"You're you, don't let anyone else tell you what to become or what to do to fit in with the crowd. The important thing is being happy with yourself."

blue ancient
11th May 2003, 15:16
"Honesty is a gift a man gives to himself. Integrity is a gift he gives to the world. Be true to yourself, otherwise the world is at a loss."

EDIT: *ahem* Yes, yes. I've thought of another one:

"There's a first time for everything." ;) :p

Umah Bloodomen
11th May 2003, 15:21
**coughcoughshouldn'tthatbe'loss'?coughcough**

Apocrypha Roxy
12th May 2003, 02:19
I have alot of 'em...

Let Fortune turn her wheel as she pleases, and let Time continue it's relentless course - Dante's Inferno XV

Live fast, die young, and look good at your funeral - John Gotti

Nothing is more hostile than oneself against oneself. (Man is his own worst enemy) - Cicero

Why are you laughing? Change the name and the story is about you! - Horatius, Satirae

Mine:

Listen to the criticisms of others, but don't take them to heart.

Trust no one. Question everything. Strive for excellence.

Stand on your own two feet, depend on no one; because one day there will be no one for you to depend on. Independence is a virtue - live by it.

SexlessDemon
12th May 2003, 02:36
Oh I just thought of another one:

"To boldly go where no sane man hath gone before" (me & friend referring to university)

Okay okay, that was dumb. But pity me, I have a massive history essay due in tomorrow.. no wait, correction today.. it's 3:34am and I'm not even half done. *wails*

*sighs and mutters inaudibly abt history books secretly lobotomising people via subliminal messages in the text*

Grey Mouser
13th May 2003, 02:19
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Attributed to the great Samuel Clemmons, otherwise known as Mark Twain. (http://www.twainquotes.com/)

This is generally quite true I have found. :cool:

Rook
13th May 2003, 05:48
"Believing is seeing."

eclipse_reaver
14th May 2003, 01:44
"There's a method to my madness" (or something like that).
Can't remember where I got that from.

"Focus, gentlemen, focus!"
From my favorite dad Al Bundy when he addressed the No Maams :D