PDA

View Full Version : Controls

digit
8th May 2003, 23:13
I've been thinking about controls of all FPS's in general. Of course on the PC you're going to have more controls and more things to do (take DoD for example), but it can end up very clunky and confusing as to finding the right button. The consoles are pretty solid, as there aren't as many buttons, which means almost no confusion, but less buttons means less control over certain things (take Super Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the GBA for example).

Now which FPS has the best controls that contributes to the gameplay and everything? I think Halo has the most solid controls. Most everything can be done without switching weapons or switching which ability is equipped or anything, save for using your secondary weapon. Grenades are only a pull-of-a-trigger away, and nothing else could be much easier. Melee attacks are one button. People complain about not having a wide selection of weapons in Halo (hey, at least you have it!). I for one think being able to have more weapons means switching weapons will be harder!

Timesplitters 2 has less solid controls, in my opinion. You're going to have to hit the Previous or Next Weapon buttons a number of times before getting to the right weapon. Even with two weapons, you're going to cycle through your fists if you hit the wrong button. The alternative is to go to the menu, but in multiplayer games that is not preferable.

I can see that many people will be copying Halo for years to come. It's only logical. Medal of Honor: Frontline, DoD (the update has melee attack on the M1. Sweet!), Red Faction 2, and a number of other games are ripping off Halo sometime.

TS2 has not yet ripped Halo in any big noticable way. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Iiro
9th May 2003, 04:51
Theres a few things in Halos controls that I hate though.
When I for example try to press the melee attack, I hit the wrong button. And I usually have to look at the controller to see what button im pressing. I dont know if thats Halos fault or because of the big and huge xbox controller. Timesplitters 2 on my gc has got very good controls and the only bad thing I can find from them is that newbies usually need the non-moving crosshair.

GhostXL
9th May 2003, 18:50
Halo does have a good control system IF you are using the righthanded (standard) setting, BUT if you like me use the lefthanded (southpaw&southpaw) controling the masterchief becomes a chalenge:(
Try pressing the jump or melee button with your right thumb and allso pres forward on the right joystick with your right thumb!!!
Jumping en melee attacks are hard to pull off, but needed to survive the online onslaught:( .

After playing to much of halo, the simpler timesplitter controles seem like heaven. I've set my timesplitter controles like the halo controles, but i have no jumping or melee buttons:D .

And about that timesplitters didn't rip halo yet.
IT DOES!! Just a little bitt.
What about the Plasma autorifle? Doesn't it look like a halo plasma rifle and the secondary function are sticky granades like the halo plasma granades.
And there is that 3 way battle, like in halo you, the covenant and the ZOMBIE LIKE flood doesn't that ring a bell??? I'll give you a hint: siberia.

Any way they shouldn't steal to much, else all the game would look, feel and play the same.
Halo en timesplitters are different game, and thank god for that!

Iiro
9th May 2003, 19:47
Originally posted by GhostXL
IT DOES!! Just a little bitt.
What about the Plasma autorifle? Doesn't it look like a halo plasma rifle and the secondary function are sticky granades like the halo plasma granades.

Coincidence.

And there is that 3 way battle, like in halo you, the covenant and the ZOMBIE LIKE flood doesn't that ring a bell??? I'll give you a hint: siberia.

Definitely a coincidence. Doesnt even make very much sense IMO.

GhostXL
10th May 2003, 09:14
I don't belief in Coincidence!