PDA

View Full Version : Hey EIDOS, please make TS3 ... even without FR!

spanks
8th May 2003, 15:53
Well, it looks like Free Radical is going ahead with their other project. In all likelyhood, that means they're not working on TS3.

However, if Eidos still has rights to the franchise and access to the engine for a TS sequel. I say ... go for it! There is still a lot of room to improve and market Timesplitters as the perfect console multiplayer FPS.

For example, I was playing an assault mission with a newbie buddy of mine when he asked "How many lives do we have?" I said "infinite". He said "Really, why?" That just reinforced how valuable something as simple as combined modes would be to the game.

Other things could be done to make TS3 (or TS2+) ... and they probably wouldn't require FR because they are so simple:

#1 - support online map exchange.

#2 - upgrade the mapmaker with the simpler suggestions from this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9623).

#3 - Set-up the custom arcade menus to allow for combined modes like this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15974).

#4 - Create a bunch more challenges for the Arcade league and add an assault mission for all existing maps.

#5 - Add "fix aim to center" in the preferences menu.

AB-109
8th May 2003, 19:07
Sounds like you want to cut FR off :rolleyes:

Just cos thier working on somethin else doesnt mean they wont make TS3 and personaly I dont think TS3 would be any good if FR didnt work on it cos it wouldnt be the same. I'm guessin eidos only published the game meaning they didnt do anything other than bring it to us and all the hard work and things which make TimeSplitter what it is are all FR's work.

Ab ^_^

Mod edit: tact

spanks
8th May 2003, 20:00
I have nothing against FR. In fact I'd prefer that FR be the developer for TS3, but they confirmed again today that they are working on a non-TS project (It's possible that they are working on TS3 as well, but they are a small dev group so I doubt it.)

The thing is that there are a bunch of little things that could be done to make ts2 SO much better ... and I don't really think that FR is the only group capable of doing them. (Eidos has connections with several talented developers.) btw: It's Eidos's money and risk that brings the games to us.

AB-109
8th May 2003, 20:15
Might be thier money and risks but aint thier skills :p

and so what if FR confirmed that they aint workin on TS3 its not like they've confirmed that they wont make a TS3 and yes theres a a whole load of stuff which would of made TS2 better but its a learning process and thro our feedback FR can learn what we would like to see in TS3 and make it better after all people make mistakes!

Ab ^_^

Rare
8th May 2003, 22:35
It could be that they want to make TS3 for PS3. They already have two TS games for the PS2, so maybe they want the power to make the game online capable? Better graphics, more easter eggs in the game, more characters. You know the drill, better everything. You never know.

Reaperbot
9th May 2003, 09:06
A sequel to a successful game doesn't need to be made every year! Why is it bad that Free Radical are making something else other than TS! They won't turn into id software! yay!

Anyway, if Timesplitters 3 was made by another developer, it just wouldn't be right and they'd probably turn the game into an average first person shooter with bad controls and doesn't stand out from the rest! Let Free Radical work on the third person shooter. It'l let them have more time to think about TS3 and anyway, many game developers can work on more than one game you know! Maybe they haven't announced it yet!
Just be patient!

AB-109
9th May 2003, 12:27
Originally posted by Reaperbot
A sequel to a successful game doesn't need to be made every year! Why is it bad that Free Radical are making something else other than TS! They won't turn into id software! yay!

Anyway, if Timesplitters 3 was made by another developer, it just wouldn't be right and they'd probably turn the game into an average first person shooter with bad controls and doesn't stand out from the rest! Let Free Radical work on the third person shooter. It'l let them have more time to think about TS3 and anyway, many game developers can work on more than one game you know! Maybe they haven't announced it yet!
Just be patient!

Well said ^_^

Ab

spanks
9th May 2003, 14:34
Yeah, I'm probably being impatient. However if TS3 is a next-gen project, it may be three years away. By that time, I probably won't have the opportunity to play videogames (especially multiplayer) as much. I just find it frustrating that such small things could have been done to double the value of TS2 (imo) ... and probably double the sales too.

Hank Nova
9th May 2003, 17:14
Ive decided that i would like to see TS3 or whatever in any way, shape or form. I think it would be good if free radical worked on it. The reason i want TS3 is because I didn't think the ending was very good and i would like to see a more winding plotline. maybe thats just me being arrogant. also when TS1 came out I was really exited because it was original and better than anything id seen before. I wanna feel that just one more time and i probably wont be bothered with TS4 but thats looking forward way too much. anyway, thankyou for your time.

spanks
14th May 2003, 14:50
Well, I'm glad to see that someone else would like to see TS3 sooner than later ... although for completely opposite reasons to myself. Personally I have no interest in a new story mode. I have played TS2 for 200+ hours, about 8 of which were used to complete the story mode (normal/co-op).

To me TS2 is a multiplayer game. That's why the oversights in the custom arcade menus are so hard to take. I'd love to play more assault missions VERSUS human opponents ... with a limited number of lives. I win if I complete the objectives. My opponent wins if he eliminates my lives before the objectives are met. I would MUCH prefer to have that and forget the FMVs from the story mode (which I never watched).

Anyway today at E3, Eidos announced their 2003 lineup and release schedule ... with no TS3 for the forseeable future. That sux!

sheeps
21st May 2003, 10:03
Let's have Retro Studios make TS3 and make it GAMECUBE EXCLUSIVE!!

oh that sounds so nice..

no but seriously Retro could do a mad job..

spanks
21st May 2003, 14:49
That would work for me since I own a cube, but I think the reason we're not seeing a sequel to TS2 is that the game didn't really sell as well as it could have. A GC exclusive wouldn't help that situation.

I'd prefer to see this game sell a few million copies (which it deserves), but FR sold this game short on it's strongest points.

For example:

- Why aren't there co-op arcade league challenges?

- Why can't we play mapmaker story mode co-op?

- Why isn't there a big stats page after every multiplayer match?

It wouldn't take a AAA dev team to add the things that I pointed out in my original post. This game could have OWNED multiplayer console FPS, but it just came up short.

AB-109
22nd May 2003, 00:41
I also dont think TS2 (or TS for that matter) was advertised enough!

The only way I heard bout TS2 was seeing it on the shop shelf.

Ab ^_^

sheeps
22nd May 2003, 07:21
Originally posted by spanks
That would work for me since I own a cube, but I think the reason we're not seeing a sequel to TS2 is that the game didn't really sell as well as it could have. A GC exclusive wouldn't help that situation.

I'd prefer to see this game sell a few million copies (which it deserves), but FR sold this game short on it's strongest points.

For example:

- Why aren't there co-op arcade league challenges?

- Why can't we play mapmaker story mode co-op?

- Why isn't there a big stats page after every multiplayer match?

It wouldn't take a AAA dev team to add the things that I pointed out in my original post. This game could have OWNED multiplayer console FPS, but it just came up short.

I wasn't being serious when I said gamecube exclusive.. :/

and I don't want ANY OTHER developer to make it, I always like to keep the same developer on the same game, unless it's like metroid prime's case.. which was a big jump from the old metroid games..

like all I want in the sequel to TS2 is more open areas in single player that aren't just flat, more outdoor areas at daytime and a longer single player..

actually I don't want a longer single player, I just want longer levels in the single player, like I don't want 30 small levels, I'd prefer like 8 big ones.. I like big things :D

spanks
22nd May 2003, 15:37
I don't understand why you guys want TS to improve it's single player game. Why not just buy another game? There are plenty with superior story modes to TS.

To me, Timesplitters (2) is a multiplayer FPS. The are none superior for console/splitscreen. That is what TS is all about and (imo) that is what FR (or whoever) should concentrate on and improve!

I'm happy that the multiplayer modes are playable against bots ... and even better that FR included the arcade league to challenge a single player, but multiplayer (and mapmaker) are where TS is at.

sheeps
23rd May 2003, 07:07
I don't understand why you guys want TS to improve it's single player game. Why not just buy another game? There are plenty with superior story modes to TS.

To me, Timesplitters (2) is a multiplayer FPS. The are none superior for console/splitscreen. That is what TS is all about and (imo) that is what FR (or whoever) should concentrate on and improve!

I'm happy that the multiplayer modes are playable against bots ... and even better that FR included the arcade league to challenge a single player, but multiplayer (and mapmaker) are where TS is at.
Because there is no game out now that has controls quite like timesplitters 2

Reaperbot
23rd May 2003, 11:20
Originally posted by sheeps
Let's have Retro Studios make TS3 and make it GAMECUBE EXCLUSIVE!!

oh that sounds so nice..

no but seriously Retro could do a mad job..
UGH!
NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!1
if you were gonna make it exclusive to any console, it belongs on the PS2. ANyway the first one was on the ps2.

But I think Timesplitters is a game that sholud be expericened by every console gamer!

sheeps
23rd May 2003, 11:31
UGH!
NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!1
if you were gonna make it exclusive to any console, it belongs on the PS2. ANyway the first one was on the ps2.

But I think Timesplitters is a game that sholud be expericened by every console gamer!

Dude it was a joke, and I don't think it should be exclusive to the ps2 at all.. just because the first timesplitters was on the ps2..

if you go by that theory that means that the final fantasy series belongs on nintendo only.. :)

Reaperbot
23rd May 2003, 11:35
meh, i never really liked rpgs anyway.

BloodHavoc9674
24th May 2003, 23:33
Well, it looks like Free Radical is going ahead with their other project. In all likelyhood, that means they're not working on TS3.

Uhhh.... sorry but I have a question, I havent been on the forums in a looooooonnnnnngggg time so what project is it??? I also think they could make TS3 a little more military-ish... if u know what I mean.

Reaperbot
26th May 2003, 06:19
people say it's a third person shooter.

It could still deliver a better story based game!

spanks
2nd Jun 2003, 18:12
people say it's a third person shooter.

It could still deliver a better story based game! Yeah, it's supposed to be a 3rd person, stealthy, story based game.

I wonder why Eidos didn't contract them to make this into the next Tomb Raider. I'll bet FR could do a better job than Core.

digit
2nd Jun 2003, 20:47
Then Lara would look a little bit like Venus Starr :D just joking, yo!

sheeps
3rd Jun 2003, 08:41
Yeah, it's supposed to be a 3rd person, stealthy, story based game.
Because we haven't got enough of them..:rolleyes:

no but seriously we have Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Starcraft Ghost..

Dark Apostle
3rd Jun 2003, 14:53
Originally posted by BloodHavoc9674
I also think they could make TS3 a little more military-ish... if u know what I mean.

Then you would have either another Medal Of Honor or another Counter Strike and there are plenty of them on the market already ;)

spanks
3rd Jun 2003, 18:31
Because we haven't got enough of them..:rolleyes:

no but seriously we have Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Starcraft Ghost.. Don't forget Eidos's own Hitman and Tomb Raider franchises (AOD is supposed to have stealth elements too). That's probably why they let this title from FR go ... because they already have competing products.

However, that brings me back to my original point : why do we need this game ahead of an update to the Timesplitters franchise?

sheeps
4th Jun 2003, 06:57
Originally posted by Dark Apostle
Then you would have either another Medal Of Honor or another Counter Strike and there are plenty of them on the market already ;)

not quite..

There is no FPS game on consoles with controls quite like timesplitters 2's..

TimeSplittersDude
5th Jun 2003, 00:03
You know what you should do is start a petition. You know why they would care? Because they want money right? And we give it to them right? So I'll start one you guys can sign it and we can EMAIL it to Eidos. After all we are the ones that give them money right? YEAH so let's get what we want with OUR money! I'll post the link as soon as I find the site again.

TimeSplittersDude
5th Jun 2003, 00:36
Actually you know what ... one of you make the petition. The website is http://www.petitiononline.com/ sign up for one I tried but there was too much stuff to put on. I'll sign it though! If the link doesnt work it's because I spelled petition wrong. Thanks in advance.

TimeSplittersDude
5th Jun 2003, 00:46
Originally posted by AB-109
I also dont think TS2 (or TS for that matter) was advertised enough!

The only way I heard bout TS2 was seeing it on the shop shelf.

Ab ^_^

I agree. I went into EB and I saw TS1. I bought it, got hooked, and looked for TS2! I never saw a TS2 ad.

Reaperbot
5th Jun 2003, 03:58
I think they need more games with humour in it.

Most people think that Timesplitters 2 is humourous but it really isn't. Nothing wacky goes on and most of the levels are dead serious.

Very few games have humour in it and they turn out to be very good but no one notices them. Example the Lucasarts games, serious sam, no one lives forever.

spanks
5th Jun 2003, 14:34
I agree, humor is great anywhere. However in a videogame that you might play hundreds of times, you have to be careful not to make it annoying. I think TS2 does it right with the sounds of characters like Duckman Drake, the Impersonator, and Khallos. Outright gags might work the first couple times in a story mode, but even there it can get stale.

Anyway, I've said it a dozen times before ... the TS2 story mode is mediocre at best and the effort that was used to create it would have been MUCH better spent fleshing out the arcade league (more assault, more everything) , the multiplayer (more options/option combos) and mapmaker (online map exchange).

By diluting themselves with the story mode, I really think FR/Eidos missed an opportunity to create a game that would have been considered an all time great. I'll sign any petition to convince them to do it in TS3.

sheeps
6th Jun 2003, 02:46
I agree, humor is great anywhere. However in a videogame that you might play hundreds of times, you have to be careful not to make it annoying. I think TS2 does it right with the sounds of characters like Duckman Drake, the Impersonator, and Khallos. Outright gags might work the first couple times in a story mode, but even there it can get stale.

Anyway, I've said it a dozen times before ... the TS2 story mode is mediocre at best and the effort that was used to create it would have been MUCH better spent fleshing out the arcade league (more assault, more everything) , the multiplayer (more options/option combos) and mapmaker (online map exchange).

By diluting themselves with the story mode, I really think FR/Eidos missed an opportunity to create a game that would have been considered an all time great. I'll sign any petition to convince them to do it in TS3.

I'd like to see you make a better story mode..

Story mode was good in my opinion, just short lived..

spanks
6th Jun 2003, 15:24
I'd like to see you make a better story mode.. Honestly, given enough time and resources (help), I think I could.

TS2's story mode has several problems:

1) First and foremost, the missions are too linear. The player pretty much does the objectives in sequence and moves through each environment from a start point to a finish point.

2) Enemy and armor placement seems to have been done after the environment was drawn rather than considered as an integral part of the environment/mission. For example: zombies spawning from thin air in missions like Notre Dame. It's like they said "this is too easy ... throw in an enemy", or "this is too hard ... throw in some armor."

3) Trigger points are used too frequently and too obviously. Example: the crates containing henchmen in Atom smasher (what's up with that in the first place?) ... they open up when the player reaches very specific spots. It's too contrived.

4) Wait points and enemy movement could have been better used. Maybe this complaint comes from being spoiled with Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, but the use of timing in TS2 doesn't compare. There were always a dozen strategies to complete missions in PD/GE, and the fastest strategy was usually the most difficult to pull off. This gave enormous replay value to the story modes in those games that TS2 does not have.

I've tried with the TS2 mapmaker to make missions more like those in GE/PD ... and I've had some success. I have a couple that have multiple strategies for objective completion and they use carefully placed bots on long patrols that come into play several times in your mission. (ie: you have to take a guy out with a single head shot at the second location where you see him otherwise other guards will notice and you will have to revert to "plan C" in order to finish.)

That kind of timing requires playing a mission literally hundreds of times and making small adjustments constantly. It's obvious to me that the team at FR didn't have the time to do that kind of fine tuning for the TS2 story mode.

turtleboy
6th Jun 2003, 15:47
dont worry ts2 online and ts3 are comin out in late auterm

AB-109
6th Jun 2003, 16:27
somehow I doubt that!

1. Both online and TS3 will never come out at the same time unless they where both in one game!

2. If TS3 came out this autmn then it wouldnt be that much better.

Ab ^_^

Reaperbot
7th Jun 2003, 01:39
WHERE DID THESE RUMOURS ABOUT TS2 ONLINE COME FROM!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet it's not gonna come out!

I'd just wait for ts3.

TimeSplittersDude
7th Jun 2003, 01:52
Originally posted by Dark Apostle

I think Blood_Havoc means more modes like assault. Well I know he means that because I know him. Lol.

TimeSplittersDude
7th Jun 2003, 01:55
Originally posted by AB-109
somehow I doubt that!

1. Both online and TS3 will never come out at the same time unless they where both in one game!

2. If TS3 came out this autmn then it wouldnt be that much better.

Ab ^_^

Maybe it's TS3 Online??? :D

ex-ion
8th Jun 2003, 11:11
I want a league table fvor multiplayer in the next enstallment, anyone play quake 3:revolution on PS2? there was a league table (albiet a flawed one) that made mutiplayer much better as friends would always come down to get to the top of the league table!
If FR could do that for the TS2:add on (which I truly hope they release- preferably as a cheap add on disk rather than the whole game with extras- ala MGS:substance- that would just annoy people, namely me) then the multiplayer woul be added upon so uch! people would have more of a reason to play!

inredjam
28th Jun 2003, 18:19
I also think they could make TS3 a little more military-ish
'more military-ish'!?!?!?! are you insane? the last twenty characters are all near identical army guys/gals.
Pleeeeeeeeease no more military! ! !

Rare
28th Jun 2003, 18:54
All the military characters are pretty much all the same, (the exceptions are the dead military personal) if FR could create a more wide specrum of characters. Theres still room for military, but only in moderation. It would be cool if there was more small characters like Robofish and Monkey, I'd say two of the best characters there is.