PDA

View Full Version : wraith-blade speculations of a blue ancient

blue ancient
8th May 2003, 05:43
I know that I sorta talked about this before, but that thread never happened ;) - and I really want some feedback...

THUS: The wraith-blade is clearly not bound to Raziel's arm. (unless I'm blind) Also, it appears to me, at least, that Raziel is gripping some sort of physical hilt on the wraith-blade.

So, I was wondering if it might be a sort of "hybrid-wraith-Reaver combo" - meaning that since Kain ripped the Reaver out of Raziel's chest in mid-creation, perhaps the wraith-blade isn't actually itself, and is more like half and half . . . so to speak. It also seems to have regained some of it's lost length, and looks more pointed and solid - but that's stretching it a bit :p

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 05:49
I think it's your imagination and remind you that the screenshots you saw were also very rough, IMO. (Meaning they are not finished and lacking some detail).

Also:

Originally posted by The Butterfly Lord

Both characters are armed with an incarnation of the Reaver -- Raziel with the Soul Reaver wraith blade, and Kain with the "Blood" Reaver (it's not the Soul Reaver, because it's still an empty vessel -- Raziel's soul is not in the blade).

Sounds like two seperate blades and no hybrids to me. The idea of a hybrid weapon is a bit of a stretch IMO. It either has mega-power or it doesn't. In between is a bit pointless.

willow
8th May 2003, 05:50
I’m beginning to suspect that you sir are neither blue nor ancient at all.

edit: man.. I should really proof read crap.

blue ancient
8th May 2003, 05:59
I knew you would be the first, Umah :D
I know it sounds bogus and absolultly stupid, but it really looks like that to me. Is the wb just coming out of his palm now, with no connection to the arm? And The Butterfly Lord wouldn't come out and give something like that away, I would think - eventhough it's 99.998798798...% false and retarded on my part.

willow - you got me: today's my 19th birthday and I'm caucasian. Someone finally found me out! *snaps fingers*

I think you meant:

"...neither blue nor ancient..." ;)

EDIT: (and you need another verb) :p

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 06:03
See, I knew you were the freaky stalker-type. I can pick those out from a mile away. Ask anyone who knows me. ;)

I didn't say it sounded *stupid* (I simply thought it. :p j/k). Again, I still think it's a rough render of the wb coming out of his palm, awaiting the symbiotic-effect (wrapping around his arm) to be added in later.

He wouldn't come right out and say it, I agree. (On account that he can't at this point). But at the same token, if it wasn't true, Chris would resort to more of a vague statement (such as "all will be revealed in time" or whatnot). So he wouldn't bruise your ego. :D

If you're not blue or ancient, perhaps then, are you a pea or a nut? (I opt for the latter choice). ;)

EDIT: Touched up a sentence.

blue ancient
8th May 2003, 06:12
LET IT GO, UMAH!! I looked in your window one time!! ONE! :p ;)

- To be completely honest, I never even thought about them adding the "arm-wrap" effect later. It will probably be damn sweet, though.

Lets just find a happy medium and call me blue nut!!! *hahahahaha* Man, that's degrating...

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 06:17
Originally posted by blue ancient
LET IT GO, UMAH!! I looked in your window one time!! ONE! :p ;)

Once? Now, I'm insulted. :p

I don't really think perfect design is focused on until later in the development process. No sense getting it to look absolutely great if the gameplay is riddled with bugs and development has to start back from scratch.

Lets just find a happy medium and call me blue nut!!! *hahahahaha* Man, that's degrating...

I would, but I don't think it's forum appropriate. :p

warpsavant
8th May 2003, 06:19
The wraithblade looks different cause its a different game, blue nut. :p

blue ancient
8th May 2003, 06:30
LOL!! Man, I hope that doesn't stick *shakes head*

Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
Once? Now, I'm insulted. :p

Yeah, but it was for a looooong time!! ;)

Originally posted by warpsavant
The wraithblade looks different cause its a different game, blue nut :p

-Yeah, you're right, warp. I am glad that it is longer again, however. :D *thumbs up*

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 06:33
For your sake I hope it doesn't. Hahahhahahahhahaha.

**obligatory Monty Burns impersonation*** Exceeeelent.

I don't care if it was for 24 hrs, it was only once. **scoffs**

blue ancient
8th May 2003, 06:38
I tried, but it's hard to peep from the back of a speeding squad car!!! *wonders who made phone call to police*

Hmmm, it was probably that RED dino! :p ;)

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 06:46
Uh huh...

**coughcoughPinkcoughcough**

I see a stuffed animal thread popping up in the future. LOL. :p

Reaper007
8th May 2003, 07:47
I know that I sorta talked about this before, but that thread never happened ;) - and I really want some feedback...

THUS: The wraith-blade is clearly not bound to Raziel's arm. (unless I'm blind) Also, it appears to me, at least, that Raziel is gripping some sort of physical hilt on the wraith-blade.

So, I was wondering if it might be a sort of "hybrid-wraith-Reaver combo" - meaning that since Kain ripped the Reaver out of Raziel's chest in mid-creation, perhaps the wraith-blade isn't actually itself, and is more like half and half . . . so to speak. It also seems to have regained some of it's lost length, and looks more pointed and solid - but that's stretching it a bit :p
actually ur right, according to PSM magazine before the thread was removed it said something along the lines that the wb would no longer be "part" of raz, not the exact words so cant be sure, keep in mind the games not done anything can change.

Reaper007

DarkWraith
8th May 2003, 07:49
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
See, I knew you were the freaky stalker-type. I can pick those out from a mile away. Ask anyone who knows me. ;)

I'm afraid my dear that you missed me. MUHAHA (Jesus my evil laugh sux)

DW

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 07:51
And someone missed the response Chris issued. :rolleyes:

Jealous DW? :D

DarkWraith
8th May 2003, 07:55
Dam right I'm jealous,
I hate being missed out. And being unobservant (which unfortunatly I am.
well this moron better go before he does something stupid... like talk more.

DW

Umah Bloodomen
8th May 2003, 07:57
The first part wasn't directed towards you, dear. ;)

Lozza Mate
8th May 2003, 10:28
I get the feeling that the blade is bound to raziel.. but only when the wraith blade wants to be.

fneh
8th May 2003, 11:15
I don't remember reading that in the PSM article. I'll read it again..

blue ancient
8th May 2003, 15:18
I'm not totally letting go of the idea, Reaper. I would not be suprised if the wraith-blade had changed a bit ;)
*goes off to read PSM article again*

Matthew
8th May 2003, 19:30
My two cents.

It is, as Umah stated, too early to say something.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Wraith Blade is a symbiote again(SR-style). But also I wouldn't be surprised if it had changed (doubt).

- Matthew

Lozza Mate
10th May 2003, 03:57
logically the wraith blade should have changed in some respect. The blade is the future version of Raziel and since Raz has just been given an extended amount of life before becoming the blade and in this time it's assumed that Raziel will gain new abilities/upgrades. So it makes sense that the wraith blade has changed accordingly.

Vampmaster
11th May 2003, 13:07
I don't think it will go back to being dormant. I think it won't turn on him anymore but it will be weak unless you feed it.

fneh
11th May 2003, 13:27
Chris said in his Q&A thread that the reaver/s behave differently. Surely this is something to do with the missing band on the arm

also. (I mentioned this on game FAQS earlier) If you look at pics of razzy on the PSM article (mainly the pic with raz jumping with trees behind him) and zoom in to the reaver and raziel's hand/claw you'll notice there's a little black band coming fomr the reaver coiled around raziel's wrist.....

Matthew
11th May 2003, 13:37
I think someone's seeing this. It's nothing to get excited about. I zoomed in and all I saw was - Raziel's arm, the Wraith Blade, the trees in the background.

- Matthew

fneh
11th May 2003, 14:04
sorry. wrong picture I mentioned. I meant the picture from gamers hell outside the big mansion. You relly can see it on that.

If you don't have the pic I'll gladly email it to you

blue ancient
11th May 2003, 15:07
why don't you mail that to me? ;) Thanks. :D

(brad_ranger@hotmail.com)

blue ancient
11th May 2003, 15:57
I see what you are referring to, but it kinda looks like just part of his "wrist wrap" to me. I do see it though, it just gets too blurry for me to really make it out if I zoom in as far as I need to.

fneh
11th May 2003, 17:37
yeah. It is kinda fuzzy if you zoom in but (to me at least) it seems so have a glow of the reaver around it and doesn't look attached to his arm wrap. I guess we'll just have to wonder for a while eh?

N0V4
11th May 2003, 17:41
Maybe they just have to add a few things to graphics??
ever think of that?

:D :p

Matthew
11th May 2003, 20:42
Originally posted by fneh
sorry. wrong picture I mentioned. I meant the picture from gamers hell outside the big mansion. You relly can see it on that.

If you don't have the pic I'll gladly email it to you

Gladly. :) While You're at it You could e-mail all of the screenshots from Gamer's Hell (since I managed to miss them - yay for me).

matthewdanvers@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance. :) Looking forward.

- Matthew

fneh
12th May 2003, 09:31
I sent you the pics but I got them bounced back to me thid morning. You'll just have to search for them like I did. if you search for defiance you'll find a load of german sites that host these pics.

Vampmaster
12th May 2003, 12:23
I wonder if the mansion is Voradors. :)

fneh
12th May 2003, 15:02
I think it's voradors mansion myself. It fits too well for it not to be. I wonder if vorador assists raziel at all?

Matthew
12th May 2003, 15:42
You mean this one?

http://www.zone.ee/mattart/lokd6.jpg

(Also check out the same address from lokd1.jpg to lokd9.jpg)

I think it doesn't have a hilt. I zoomed in and it looked like the wraith form of the skull on the Blood Reaver. Now THAT could be true.

By the way - what screenie You guys mean under Vorador's Mansion?

- Matthew

dangerizer
12th May 2003, 16:02
after someone mentioned this before i'm looking at the blade in this picture 6 and it doesn't look like the blade is coiled around the arm of raziel and he appears more to be weilding the blade much like a physical sword. I wonder if kains actions at the end of SR2 created the beginnings of the soul reaver with in the blood reaver and that now raziel can once again finish the process by consuming enough souls or something like that to charge up the real intended soul reaver. That's the impression i'm getting after looking at that picture and listening to kains words at the end of SR2. maybe the younger kains actions had something to do with this whole correct process being thrown off course. I assume the elder kain was smart enough to find a way to put things back into their proper place. this must be why they tried to turn raz against kain so quickly. i think kain knew what he had to do the whole time around, the key for kain is keeping things that way once corrected. Once kain plays his cards he must stop moebius before he has the chance to play his again.

fneh
12th May 2003, 16:43
I can see the skull in raziel's hand too. Can you see the band around raziel's wrist too? surely you can..

I remember the wraith blade looked a lot like the blade until raziel claimed it as his. maybe the new programming technology allows them to present the reaver more as they originally intended. You have to agree that the graphics have made leaps and bounds since the last game.

fneh
12th May 2003, 16:48
raziel isn't holding the reaver like a hilt of a sword. there's no hilt, only the skull bit. I'm guessing they just changed how it looks and nothing more. In SR2 they like to make the reaver come out of raziel's palm (think the battles at the end when raziel would pull out the reaver on the fire breathing thingies)

The pic shows a small band around his wrist which is probably their new way of showing the reaver (maybe they just grew tired of the arm band thing, or maybe it isn't connected to him as strongly as it once was because of kain's actions. we'll just have to wait)

Matthew
12th May 2003, 17:22
Yeah, fneh and I have now found our language.

Yes, I can see the skull. As I recall, in SR1, when the Soul Reaver was destroyed and Raziel taken back to the Spectral Realm, he saw the blades spirit there. It too, as I recall, had the skull and looked a lot like his material cousin. Only rather wraithy.

My opinion also is that now CD has finally developed an engine which can now make everything much more detailed.

Raz isn't holding it from the hilt. There's just the skull there. Nothing else. At least to my eyes.

IMO the blade is now just LONGER, has a SKULL and is BLUE. Just like in SR1 (or just how they'd have WANTED it to be in SR1).

But I think they're not just gonna throw the skull in. I think there's more story to it.

Oh and fneh - the band thingy... Not so sure. Maybe it's just a simple distortion. Don't know. But I don't believe the band thingy.

- Matthew

Vampmaster
12th May 2003, 17:40
Originally posted by Matthew
You mean this one?

http://www.zone.ee/mattart/lokd6.jpg

(Also check out the same address from lokd1.jpg to lokd9.jpg)

I think it doesn't have a hilt. I zoomed in and it looked like the wraith form of the skull on the Blood Reaver. Now THAT could be true.

By the way - what screenie You guys mean under Vorador's Mansion?

- Matthew

That's the one. It looks like it has the same winged being statues at the front and I think Voradors mansion had stairs like that as well.

dangerizer
12th May 2003, 20:09
I think he's holding the hilt dude it's not coiled around him anymore.

Matthew
12th May 2003, 20:11
Yes, it's pretty much official - Raziel IS holding to the hilt. The Wraith Blade is just as the spirit of the Soul Reaver in SR1. He uses it as a sword (not an extension of an arm) and it has a skull ... and the wings ... stuff ... :p

- Matthew

Serul
12th May 2003, 20:41
Maybe the wraith blade needs a conduit to show up in the material realm, in this case (and maybe only) an actual sword.

blue ancient
12th May 2003, 21:02
perhaps I was not so far from the truth friends ;)

looky here (http://www.eidosinteractive.com/gss/legacy/legacyofkain_reg/#)

Take a look at those screens and tell me there's no hilt :p

§ycavier
12th May 2003, 21:28
man,... I liked the way the old SR2 reaver looked a lot better than the hilted version shown in those sn's.

Lozza Mate
13th May 2003, 07:25
the blue souls (demons, vampires etc.) had sculls in SR2. Maybe they are beginning to incorporate this into the reaver? (considering it is both a vampiric soul and contains many souls this makes sense).

It does look like Raziel is holding onto it.. but it is also coiled around his arm. It may be that Raziel is holding his hand like that because it's just a natural position to hold a sword like that. If you were to pretend to hold the wraith blade you would tend to hold your hand as though you were holding a physical weapon, regardless of the wraith blade's solidarity (or lack there of perhaps?).

Soul Reaver
14th May 2003, 17:37
Where can I get the PSM article??? I'm so jelaous of you guys (and ladies).

Apocrypha Roxy
14th May 2003, 20:10
I registered for the DVD. I'm going to get a graduation present in the mail this June... heehee...

Kain's Ancient Blade
14th May 2003, 21:13
I wonder if the mansion is Voradors.

i think it definately is Voradors mansion, considering some of the screenshots show raziel fighting in a mansion, and there's a statue of Vorador right behind him.

fneh
14th May 2003, 21:34
well the hilts definately there in it's entirity! On the pic showing raz and kain facing off though the arm band is there....He was definately holding the hile but there was an arm coil too....maybe it's just easier to make up moves when it workd like a real sword. seeing as there will be more moves an stuff it would be hard to give raziel a lot of moves with the blade coming out of his palm