PDA

View Full Version : Graphics problem - rainbow - 82810?

Caradavin1
7th May 2003, 16:12
Every time I hit someone, pull out my sword, open something, and sometimes in general - the areas where there are light are white and dotty and objects will have white dots on them. I have a screenshot, but I can't post them because its not an option for me (why not???). Anyway, Everything gets colored odd as well, then I will read a book or walk around and everything will go back to normal. But 9 times out of 10, it is oddly colored. Plus, almost all my guards on every mission I play on TG are rainbow colored. I have the edit 16 thingy in my cfg. I have it on Directx, and Full screen (but not on Hardware because then I get this d3d textures reported wrong or something message). Can anyone help me?

Peter_Smith
8th May 2003, 04:59
Originally posted by Caradavin1
[BI have a screenshot, but I can't post them because its not an option for me (why not???). [/B]

I don't understand. So far as I know, everyone can use the "IMG" and "/IMG" tags (replace quotes with square brackets), which may be found under a button in the post edit screen. Between tags, place the full path URL to a JPEG file, which must be stored on a Web server somewhere. Make sure you edit the JPEG so it is not too dark. If there is some reason you cannot use the IMG tags, let us know.

As for your video problems, if you don't have hardware acceleration you are in bad shape for playing Thief. Smaller video cards or on-board video frequently cause these problems. Let us know your system specs, and we may be able to help you solve it or recommend some better equipment that isn't prone to the problem. Specs should include CPU make and speed, motherboard chipset, memory, video card (or onboard video), sound card, operating system, and version of direct X and whether your video card supports that version. If you know it, the video and sound drivers might be of interest.

This post really belongs in the Technical section, not missions. I may move it there in a while.

Caradavin1
8th May 2003, 21:11
I posted on TTLG as well, and was told it may be video card. I do have hardware acceleration, but I changed it down two notches... I am using HP Pavilion xt914, pentium III, Intel 82810 graphic, I have 797 Mhz (should be 800), 256 MB RAM, (I'm just listing things off, I'm not too knowledgable about this stuff). There are 5 Gigs left on my HD. Does this help any? Sorry about posting in wrong forum.

Caradavin1
9th May 2003, 18:32
I put the acceleration all the way up (after finding the darned thing - darn xp), and most of my problems are solved. I have no more screen flashes, and I played The Order Of the Vine - only once did everything get wierd colored; most of the AI were colored correctly - about 1 out of 5 were rainbow. My blackjack and player arm remained rainbow, though. I'm pleased enough. T2 still has none of these problems. I'm wondering if its compatibility with XP.

Also I got a new mouse - an Optical Mouse, with that little wheel in the middle that scrolls for you - and I wonder if that has anything to do with it (the mouse is nice, but it is annoying with gameplay because once in a while the mouse feels it is necessary to shoot to the Start Menu and my view goes straight down. It's dizzying and annoying, that's for sure. I never had this with my other mouse, but this mouse does it all the time.) Anyone ever had that happen before?

Peter_Smith
10th May 2003, 06:15
I seem to recall that Grey Mouser has responded to several posts about Intel 82810 graphics, and I think he has proposed some fixes for it. I tried searching for "82810" and could not find it. I will move this to the technical forum and change the title. Maybe GM will stop by.

Intel 82810 graphics means an on-board graphics system (not a video card), which is almost always insufficient for 3-D gaming. A separate card is preferred, and there are many good ones out there for under $100. If you decide to go that route, don't go too cheap or you'll be back where you started. Before installing a separate graphics card, you need to make sure that you can disable the on-board graphics in the BIOS. Having two video systems may confuse the poor computer.

Caradavin1
11th May 2003, 00:48
I plan to either this summer or next semester - but I don't know where to start with all of that. I'm sure there is some online help from Intel I can find. I'll search for forum topics on best video card options.

If GM does see this, I wouldn't mind hearing any suggestions to help me until I can buy the card, though. Thank you very much for your help, Peter. I'm off to search.

Stile451
11th May 2003, 12:40
I think changing the rendering mode in the game under video options to software may fix your problem.

stikboy
14th May 2003, 19:59
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/support/faqinfo.html?fqid=43&gmid=34

There's a link to info regarding the intel 810 chipset. Basically, it's either software mode or using an older driver. Now, finding that older driver may be difficult, because it was over a year ago that I had needed it, and it may not be compatable with XP - although I do know it worked on 2000

[edit] Ok, I did a (very) little looking around. This is the link to the older driver's
http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/archived_810.htm
the PV4.1 is the one you need for hardware mode, however I do not see an XP driver listed. You might be able to use the 2000 version, but I assume no responsibility if it blows up your computer :eek:
So, it might be software only for XP'rs with this chipset

bravus
14th May 2003, 22:34
Hi Caradavin

A bit of quick research on your computer tells me that the motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, so if you buy a graphics card for it make sure it's a PCI version.

Any of these 3 models would work fine and fulfill your requirements, though of course you don't have to buy them from Best Buy! (I advocate finding a good reliable small local supplier and sticking with them, if you can.)

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11186035&m=488&cat=521&scat=522

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11189111&m=488&cat=521&scat=522

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11217339&m=488&cat=521&scat=522

These 3 were $60, $80 and $120 respectively, and the third one is by far the best and newest of the 3. Or if you win the lottery you could get something like this (drool!):

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11212743&m=488&cat=521&scat=522

for a mere $400. (Ack, no you can't, 'cos it's AGP - but of course, if you win the lottery you'll have a new computer to put it in!)

You might want to get them to install it, although it's really very easy if you follow the instructions that come with the cards.

Hope this is helpful - the onboard graphics are pretty marginal for good gameplay, although they'll keep you going while the budget doesn't stretch. ;)

Bravus

Caradavin1
15th May 2003, 00:07
Thanks, all :D I have to get more memory, too. I just received my first out of memory warning last night. Of course, Graphics programs seem to take more memory than most programs do so that is probably why - but with only 5 gigs left I think its the best bet to upgrade. I will definitely use the advice given me, and I truly appreciate it.

theBlackman
15th May 2003, 00:24
Originally posted by Caradavin1
Thanks, all :D I have to get more memory, too. I just received my first out of memory warning last night. Of course, Graphics programs seem to take more memory than most programs do so that is probably why - but with only 5 gigs left I think its the best bet to upgrade. I will definitely use the advice given me, and I truly appreciate it.

Out of memory can be caused by the VCACHE setting. Go to www.pcpitstop.com and run the full diagnostics.

If it says set your vcache then, use the settings it tells you.

Also set in your SYSINI with SYSEDIT the following:

In the 386[enh] type in ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 use the CAPS as they appear here.

This forces your system to use ALL the onboard RAM before it uses the virtual memory files.

Also go to My computer - Properties and on the Performance page set your virtual MEM to 1.5 to 10 times your on board memory.

If you let Windows rule your Virtual Memory, it will eat it all up and when it uses it sometimes will not re-release it for the use of other apps.