PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to LOK: Defiance

Chris@Crystal
6th May 2003, 22:08
Impatient for the new game?
Got the urge to speculate on what it might hold?
Perhaps you just wish to keep up on the latest news as it becomes available.
Whatever your reason, discuss all things related to the upcoming "Legacy of Kain: Defiance" game here.

I will be moving other active LOK: Defiance threads to this forum shortly.

If you have any questions, let me know.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Umah Bloodomen
6th May 2003, 22:16
Very cool, Chris. I don't really have much more to add, seeing you're moving the inquires over here in a bit. ;)

Riovanes
6th May 2003, 23:13
Bless you, Lord of the Butterflies. I was beginning to think I'd be needing a shovel just to eat all the SPAM around here lately. At least now it has an appropriate place, and we can choose to see it or not based on our current interests...

Damn fine idea - and yes, I know members already suggested it - nice to see someone up the ladder is listening.

BAH!!!

Ladra de Almas
6th May 2003, 23:22
Thanks ..

Well I´m new here ... sorry for my terrible english .. I´m a Brazilian Soul Reaver fan ..

Finally some news about the new game .. ! Great ..

http://www.thekey.kit.net/thereaver.jpg

Reaver of Souls
6th May 2003, 23:38
Yay! All hail our forum Lord!

This really made my day, thanks! :D

Raz
7th May 2003, 00:17
WOO HOO! :D

Now that this forum's opened it really feels like things are in motion! I mean, we knew "Soul Reaver 3" was being made but it was always hidden behind the curtain... ;)

warpsavant
7th May 2003, 01:38
Hello, thank you for the welcome.

I'd like to know how many people (ballpark) are working on this game. What Ive seen looks fantastic I was thinkin it was alot of people.

Grey Mouser
7th May 2003, 01:39
Originally posted by Reaver of Souls
Yay! All hail our forum Lord!

...zzzzzSn0rk<Huh? whazzat? blinkblink>Someone cast the Spell of Summoning? Oh...

Hey Chris...some Fan Mail for you! :cool:

yawn stretch>snrkzzzzzzzzz

Umah Bloodomen
7th May 2003, 01:41
I took fan mail a step further and enshrined him on my site. :p

willow
7th May 2003, 01:45
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

nothing constructive to say... just watned to post in this forum... okay I'm done now... bye bye.

Chris@Crystal
7th May 2003, 01:53
Hey Warp,
Hmmm, how many people on the LOK: Defiance team? Should I go do a head count? Alive or Undead? I'm going to estimate with about 20 or so? If you require a more accurate number I can have them count off. :)
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Umah Bloodomen
7th May 2003, 01:55
I think warp wants the accurate number to the closest .20 of a percent. :D

Glucolisis
7th May 2003, 02:34
Hi everybody!!!!

I just want to be in the new forum!

This new game will wake up some sleeping members like me!!:D

warpsavant
7th May 2003, 06:27
No, you dont have to count them. Just tell 'em I thought the PSM article was rad and I'll give you some cheese, ok?

DarkWraith
7th May 2003, 07:29
All hail the butterfly Lord and his infinite wisdom in creating a new Board!!!
DW

Serul
7th May 2003, 08:52
Yay!

hippiechk
7th May 2003, 10:10
Yay! I just knew this game deserved it's own board.
Chris - you ROCK! :D

Chris@Crystal
7th May 2003, 19:12
Thanks everyone. Hope this forum ignites many exciting threads!
Take care.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Strega
7th May 2003, 20:55
Just the name "Defiance" speaks volumes for what we can expect in story development. I'm sure this game will be as stunningly beautiful and thought provoking for me as the others were, I can hardly wait.

Apocrypha Roxy
7th May 2003, 23:36
-collapses at the Butterfly Lord's feet in worship-

I thank thee, O Lord, that I have the opportunity to sacrifice these home-made chocolate chip cookies to thy holiness.

IluvyouIluvyouIluvyouuuu!

-offers cookies at the Shrine of Butterfly-

Legacy of Kain: Defiance. Sounds uber-bad-ass. I can't wait... must see pictures... must read insights... must... see... Razzy...

'Tis about time. The suspense was killing me softly. Then again, the cliffhanger is worth it!

Chris@Crystal
7th May 2003, 23:59
Hey Apocrypha Roxy,
I sure love chocolate chip cookies.
Too bad I can't eat them through the forums. :(
Take care.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

§ycavier
8th May 2003, 03:11
SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!

this game looks to be sooo cool its a good thing that it has its own board now.

I m really looking forward to its release
and Chris ROCKS THE HOUSE!!

Evelin The Winged
8th May 2003, 13:56
I must have missed a lot of stuff when I was away!:(
...I'm still trembling. I was just playing SR2, wondering what SR3 woul be like...and now this?! I still don't believe it. Why? Because some time ago, I had this dream where I was on this forum, and there was a thread that said that thier going to make a remake of SR1...hmm...*pinch's herself*

N0V4
9th May 2003, 18:50
I remembered asking Chris 3 weeks ago when SR3 would be announced...he said at the New E3 so....I had to check ;)

NoobSaibot
10th May 2003, 20:08
At least Defiance is confimed now. But I will wait until november or december before I celebrate too much since just about all LoK game are delayed.

Soul Reaver
12th May 2003, 13:22
Finally a LoK sequel has been announced!!! I'm so happy! :D :D :D

So I need to ask 2 questions from Chris or anybody who can answer them...

1. Will Defiance come out on PC and when? (in my country PS2 and XBOX are kinda expensive not to talk about the games)

2. Are there any screenshots? I've been to gamershell (where multiple sites point at) but I haven't seen any screenshots...

Thank you for your attention!

Matthew
12th May 2003, 17:31
Soul Reaver, here are some mighty fine screenshots. :)
The screenies from 6 to 9 are from Gamer's Hell, as I recall.
Oh, the moment I'm writing this, there are already first E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) sneak peeks.
The thing should all be started on Wednesday. As I recall, tomrrow's (Tuesday) the conferance.
Anyway, keep Your eyes peeled from Wednesday to the end of the week, because most probably we'll see more screenshots, features. Maybe even interviews, trailers or a demo. :)

<removed by request>

Hope I could help. Oh, by the way, the PC version hasn't been released yet. Only the PS2 and ... well maybe the Xbox one too, don't remember. But You should now that CD always ports their console versions to the PC shortly after the console release. So that basicly means You'll get the PC version (if lucky) a week after the PS2 and Xbox ones have hit the shelves.

- Matthew

blincoln
12th May 2003, 17:45
Please don't post copyrighted images here.

Plink
13th May 2003, 08:47
Bad Matthew! What Blinc said!

Wow...defiance....sounds great. I go away for a little while, and suddenly things happen. But then, isn't that the way with the world?
Well, here we are...can't wait to start sifting through all the posts to find some relevent information...I know how much spam gets in here ^^;;

~ plink

Sarxis
13th May 2003, 11:10
OH yeah!! I like it lot!

I like it LOK!

Soul Reaver
13th May 2003, 12:43
Chris, my questions to you...

1.Will there be poison? Like in the original BO. When Kain drinks (or gets the blood from the bloodreaver) from creatures that have poisonous blood will he get poison?

2. Will Kain and Raziel meet during the game?

3. Will the game have a new soundtrack?

4. Will the soundtrack include music from the previous games?

5. Will Raziel have a small health-bar in the beginning (due to the ending of SR2)?

6. Can our heros get ''levels'' (BO2 style) or achieve greater powers?

7. Can we see Vorador or Janos in the game?

8. Will you have enough time and willpower to answer all these hard questions thought up by a pestering fan?

Thank you very much!!!:D

Chris@Crystal
13th May 2003, 18:30
Hey Soul Reaver,

1.Will there be poison? Like in the original BO. When Kain drinks (or gets the blood from the bloodreaver) from creatures that have poisonous blood will he get poison?
Unknown at this time.
2. Will Kain and Raziel meet during the game?
Yes
3. Will the game have a new soundtrack?
Yes
4. Will the soundtrack include music from the previous games?
Most likely it will be all new
5. Will Raziel have a small health-bar in the beginning (due to the ending of SR2)?
Unknown
6. Can our heros get ''levels'' (BO2 style) or achieve greater powers?
Both Kain and Raziel will gain new vampiric powers throughout the course of the game
7. Can we see Vorador or Janos in the game?
I can't give away any of the story at this time
8. Will you have enough time and willpower to answer all these hard questions thought up by a pestering fan?
I always have time for answering questions. The problem is some questions I just can't answer ;)
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Vampmaster
13th May 2003, 19:29
Can you answer my question on the non-combat aspects of the elemental reavers? You mentioned that there will be weapon upgrades, but you were a little vague on this part.

EDIT: Opps, wrong thread.

Soul Reaver
14th May 2003, 16:59
One final question...

Can you attack with claws? I heard it's not possible but I wanted confirm it. Also could the feature still be added to the game?:p

Thanks!

Vampmaster
14th May 2003, 17:29
He's already said no.

Raziel 3
15th May 2003, 01:22
Hey uh I just have one kinda dumb question will this be released for PC eventually cause I have niether PS2 or Xbox and it will be a longgggg time before I get either. Can someone please anweser I just have to know I know alot of people say that but I wonder about the story day and night and its all for nothing all my theories and everything if its not made for PC.

Umah Bloodomen
15th May 2003, 03:41
Originally posted by Chris@Crystal
Hey,
At this sime I am only aware of the team working on an XBox and a PS2 version of the game. Although a PC version has not been announced, we normally port our games to the PC a short time after they are released on the consoles.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Stukedogg
15th May 2003, 14:00
Hey I Have a question. What is going to be on the free DVD from Defiance?

hippiechk
15th May 2003, 15:00
Hello again Chris ;)

My question is rather simple.
Will Defiance include a useful map?

SR1 desperately needed one.
SR2's map was useless, though the compass was somewhat helpful.

Thank you Chris.

Vampmaster
16th May 2003, 11:32
Well he's said there will be "weapon upgrades" but he wasn't specfic about whether there will be any of the the Light, Dark, Air, Fire, Water, Earth or Spirit Reavers or whether these elements will still be used in puzzles for manipulating Raziels surroundings.

saravok
16th May 2003, 12:44
According to the PSM article Kain and Raziel will use there telekinetic powers for combat and solving puzzles.

Vampmaster
16th May 2003, 17:36
What like the Light Reavers telekinitic projectiles were used to activate those pink/red crystals? Yeah, Chris has said how TK will be in there, but he didn't say that it would replace the elemantal Reavers.

warpsavant
16th May 2003, 19:24
If the elememtal reavers are in the game its as a secret or bonus, but the fact they haven't mentioned it leads me to think it was dropped or replaced.

Justified_n_Ancient
16th May 2003, 19:44
:o

I can't wait to see this!!

Are we still getting SoulReaver 3?? Or does this take the place?

I am sorry....if it's been mentioned in any of the threads above, but, alas...I am impatient. Hello?!!! I've been dying for more Raz to hunt around with and "explore."

:D

Umah Bloodomen
16th May 2003, 22:39
The games have been brought together under The Legacy of Kain Series. There are no plans for a SR3/BO3 at this time. (And I doubt that will change).

ZelenGangrel
17th May 2003, 18:34
Its actually a bit funny. Usually games that have two characters are the cause of a split in the series, not the result of it.

Shadow Man
18th May 2003, 15:39
Chris, just a few questions

1.will Defiance be like Devil May Cry in gameplay and camera angles etc.?

2.will the consrict abilty from sr1 come back?

3.will kain have any of his blood omen 1 and 2 skills like spirit death, imolate, and wolf form?(I think I already heard of bat form and jump)

4.will Kain have differant armors like BO1?

5.Will the debug menu be available?

6.Are the Hylden in it?

7.Will this be the last game of the series?

If you can answer them it would be great.

Umah Bloodomen
18th May 2003, 18:37
You might want to review the questions Chris has already answered.

Justified_n_Ancient
19th May 2003, 13:19
Sorry Chris, I had posted this elsewhere..I THOUGHT I was posting it here....I guess I goofed. My sincerest apoligies.

:( Please don't beat me....(or wait a minute....);)

Questions...?
Chris:

You probably won't be able to answer much of these or you may have answered these elsewhere on the "Legacy of Kain" boards....and I apoligize if any of this seems repetative.

But,

Umah, had said that "Defiance" will be taking over the place of SR3 and BO3. Is this correct? Will this be the final conclusion to both game series? Will this lead "The Legacy of Kain" games in a new direction and if so...will it be possible that after this game, we will see any new games with either Raz or Kain?

Will it be a "Pick your character and play game?" Or will it start out with game play as one character, hit a point in the game / Cut screen plays.....and Character changes?

Do you know whether or not we will be able to utilize the "look around" mode as we did in SR3 and SR2? Or will it play like someone had said "Devil may cry and you can only look in certain directions at certain times?

Will the game be less "Linear" than SR2 and more free roaming, like SR1?

Will we keep the same controls as SR1 and (lost a little in it but,) SR2? And I hope....of all hopes that the controls will be real time and not, set up through a menu and then attack controls. (i.e. SR1 had great options, with the glyph menu...pause, select...blam! (This was good, because you still had control of the attack and the pause was quick and almost seamless) I just am cocerned that we don't end up with a game that you have to select the target....pause the screen....choose your weapons.....and lose game play.)

Lastly, will this give us a conclusion, as well as resolution?

AS I said...you probably won't be able to answer these or have already done so, elsewhere.

Thanks for whatever information you can pass along.

Soul Reaver
19th May 2003, 15:08
I think I can help a bit...

Umah, had said that "Defiance" will be taking over the place of SR3 and BO3. Is this correct? Will this be the final conclusion to both game series? Will this lead "The Legacy of Kain" games in a new direction and if so...will it be possible that after this game, we will see any new games with either Raz or Kain?

If I remember correctly Chris said that it won't be the last game but as pointed out earlier by Chris himself:
The franchise is being reunited under the title "Legacy of Kain", with Defiance being the latest game in the series. So there are no plans currently to specifically develop an SR3 or BO3. and
I'm sure Eidos will continue to produce LoK games as long as they remain popular. So tell you friends to get the game when it comes out!

Will it be a "Pick your character and play game?" Or will it start out with game play as one character, hit a point in the game / Cut screen plays.....and Character changes?

I heard that there will be chapters. So I don't think it will be a pick-your-character game. Kain and Raziel are supposed to travel separately.

Do you know whether or not we will be able to utilize the "look around" mode as we did in SR3 and SR2? Or will it play like someone had said "Devil may cry and you can only look in certain directions at certain times?

I guess it's supposed to be more like DMC... I know reading from the PSM that the crew has done a lot of work with the cameras. Also you can check the gameplay trailer yourself http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?media_id=1721895&object_id=536027&channel_id=70&page_title=Legacy+of+Kain%3A+Defiance&adString=network%3Dign%26site%3Dps2%26pagetype%3Dvideo&return_url=http%3A%2F%2Fps2.ign.com%2Fobjects%2F536%2F536027.html

Will the game be less "Linear" than SR2 and more free roaming, like SR1?

As said by Chris in the 'Magical Butterfly Lord' thread:
LoK: Defiance will be more non-linear and replayable than SR2 was.

I can't answer two of your last questions but I guess that Chris or someone smarter than me can.

Hope this helps...

Justified_n_Ancient
19th May 2003, 17:39
Much obliged.:D

Shadow Man
20th May 2003, 14:16
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
You might want to review the questions Chris has already answered.

I'm not too sure which ones are answered so could you please tell me. And I know I'm proably pushing it but could you tell me where they were answered too?

saravok
20th May 2003, 14:27
here

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16407&pagenumber=2

Soul Reaver
25th May 2003, 13:05
I hope you or anybody else can answer these questions...

Will Defiance include whisper between Kain and Raziel?

Will Kain posess abilities from Blood Omen 2 like Fury and Berserk?

Can you attack without using autoface like in Soul Reaver 2?

About how high will the minimum system requirements be?

Will the game have more puzzles than Soul Reaver 2?

Will it be possible to skip cutscenes?

Thanks in advance!

ZelenGangrel
25th May 2003, 17:58
1. I'd doubt it, personally. Raziel really isnt a vampire anymore.

2. It appears that Kain's abilites are more based on Combos, melee fighting and TK powers. There is also talk to gained abilities for him and the reaver, so if his past abilities come into play, it wont be known till the game is released. Kain does recover his Bat Flight mode lost in Blood Omen 2.

3. There is a new targeting system. Is uses an invisible marker that points you character toward one enemy, however you can switch locks or not lock on at all. So I would say yes, free attack is probable. And probably smart considering the mass ammounts of enemies we have to face.

4. There's no PC version planned as of yet, so there is no system requirements listed anywhere. There will probably be a PC version released though, so just keep watching.

5. It was said by an article and by Chris that the game would involve more visual puzzles than what was present in SR2. But they would be more intricately linked to the gameplay, rather than just a puzzle in a room.

6. Why would you want to?

Umah Bloodomen
26th May 2003, 01:35
Originally posted by ZelenGangrel

**chuckles** Well, you've sparked my curiosity. I do so hope you get a response to that. :p

JediMaster
26th May 2003, 09:43
Will LOK DEFIANCE be ported on PC?Or what consoles will be proud of carying the game?

Blade2642
26th May 2003, 13:17
It will most likely be made a PC version as well just a little later...

brotherturel
26th May 2003, 15:23
Hey im new here I usually post at gamefaqs been a lOK fan ever since it came out. Glad to be apart of it.

Soul Reaver
27th May 2003, 15:58

Because I guess I won't like watching the 5 minute long cutscene over and over (example) only to try if the game is going to work fine or not... (testing it on a ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, one of the first, that is defective).

Vampmaster
28th May 2003, 12:46
Will it be possible to skip cutscenes?

Will they be pausable too? The phone or the door bell always rings right in the middle of a cutscene. I think SR2 let you do that, but it got annoying in Silent Hill 3 (na-nana-naanaaa :p) at weekend.

Kain The Undying
31st May 2003, 03:25
@_@ I just heard about LoK:Defiance a week or so ago an I have been Scrambling for all I was worth to get a new name on the forums. sooooooo.....We get to be Elder Kain ::Cackles madly::

punkst4r
7th Jun 2003, 23:52
1. Will kain and raziel be learning new gifts throughout LOK:defiance?

2. When kain or raziel use their telekenesis abilities,do they have some sort of bar where it shows for how long they can use their abilities? sort of like amount of magic.

3.Whan kain is in his bat form can we steer which way he goes? and does he have some sort of time limit?

4.Since the soul reaver series has been out did kain learn any new gifts? because no one has played as kain since
blood omen 2.

jasonxxx
8th Jun 2003, 03:04
does lok defiance start right were soul reaver 2 left off

punkst4r
8th Jun 2003, 05:25
Can you answer any of my questions? PLEASE

The Amazing Rando
8th Jun 2003, 05:55
jasonxxx and punkst4r: This is not the thread to ask questions in. I know that someone already informed you of this once, punkst4r, and you somewhat listened. Please keep all Q's about Defiance in "The Super magical ask the butterfly lord thread". That thread is specifically for questions for Chris, who works for CD and provides what answers he can when he can. Posting there not only keeps spam out of other threads, but makes it easier for Chris to find and answer the questions.

Now please kkep the questions to that thread, read through that thread to see if some of your questions have already been answered, and have patience as Chris gets his answers from Amy, the head honcho of the series, and they are extremely busy with making the game. So don't repeat your questions all over, just chill and wait.

punkst4r
8th Jun 2003, 20:30
Does anyone know anything about the bat gift that kain brings back to LOK Defiance? How to use it

Reaver of Souls
8th Jun 2003, 22:30
punkst4r: No, or someone would have told you and there would be threads discussing it by now.

The thread at the very top of the forum entitled "the super magical ask the butterfly lord thread" is where questions for chris go. It is not only labelled and a sticky topic, so it never leaves the top, but you have now been told at least 3 times. Like Rando said, it takes time for him to answer these questions, I mean he just recently answered questions from up to 2 weeks ago.

Umah Bloodomen
8th Jun 2003, 23:24
How many bat-related questions have you asked already? :rolleyes:

Reaver of Souls
9th Jun 2003, 00:07
Umah: At the moment the total is 4. I'm expecting more to come though. lol :rolleyes: :p

Kain The Undying
9th Jun 2003, 12:15
Ya know Umah...maybe the guy just has bats on the brain. ::evil grin:: But I didn't know they brought back his bat form...That is extremely cool >: )

punkst4r
11th Jun 2003, 03:21
You guys can't tell me it wouldn't blow your mind to be able to control/steer which way the bat flies.

warlock
11th Jun 2003, 05:54
its about time i didnt think i could wait any longer i was almost going insane "NUPRAPTOR GET OUT OF MY CLOSET"

punkst4r
11th Jun 2003, 22:48
What the hell are you talking about?!?!