PDA

View Full Version : LOK Encyclopedia

fneh
6th May 2003, 14:25
during my summer break from uni I'm thinking of making a LOK Encyclopedia to try and keep me busy until SR3. I'm gonna play through all the games and take all the quotes and everything I can for i and (hopefully) put it all online or something when I'm done.

this is where you all come in. Can you all help me out for info? I'm mainly wanting BO1 quotes like when kain first read of the unspoken.

can you all offer sites an stuff that might help me?

thanks!

Johnny Blood
6th May 2003, 16:22
umm hippie..............yer dead.

read at the bottom of each FAQ page. yer dead meat.

fneh
6th May 2003, 17:02
hmmm. maybe I should have just made the topic on game faqs and we wouldn't have this problem..I'll search gamefaqs for them later (seeing the links didn't work from here)

you might wanna edit the post hippiechk..

blincoln
6th May 2003, 17:59
AFAIK, legally GameFAQs has no basis for their "you can't link directly to our text files" policy. If they don't like it, they should display them inside an HTML page with their Deluge of Ads (tm) surrounding them =).

hippiechk
6th May 2003, 18:29
Thanks guys.
I knew that rule, I just totally forgot.
And as all of us in this thread also chat on the gfaqs boards, I sometimes forget which forum I'm posting in.

warpsavant
6th May 2003, 18:33
I think an encyclopedia should have questions and answers, not quotes. Maybe both.

fneh
6th May 2003, 20:38
It's gonna be kinda an A-Z if you get me. I'm gonna list everything alphabetically and give a description of what it is etc. that's where quotes come in for reference.

I got the idea from an old wolverine encylopedia I dug up in the garage a while back but simply haven't had the time to do anything. i'm gonna do it to keep me occupied while I'm working over summer so I get my LOK fix

Umah Bloodomen
6th May 2003, 20:54
**coughcoughDarkChroniclecoughcough**

hippiechk
7th May 2003, 10:30
There are several great LOK fan sites out there already, Dark Chronicles being just one of them.

But Fneh, don't let anything discourage you from undertaking this project. I think it's a great idea and you can pull it off. I'll even help if you want. We can never have too much LOK. So go for it dude!

Ardeth Silvereni
7th May 2003, 12:27
The A-Z idea is not unique to Dark Chronicle. It is used on an old inactive fansite (http://www.geocities.com/chronoplast), but it only has a few entries. http://www.legacyofkain.de has a comprehensive A-Z in German.

It's always nice to see new fansites, but for every four started, only one seems to be updated regularly and grows to contain a lot of information.

If you want to start a site, that's great, but try to make your site stand out in some way. If it is inspired by the format of another site, take time over your layout and character descriptions etc, so your site becomes unique. Also, try to maintain your enthusiasm for the project.

If you're still looking for BO1 quotes, check at http://www.nosgoth.net/Blood_Omen/dialogue.htm. I guess hippiechk already directed you to GameFAQs though. :)

fneh
7th May 2003, 12:34
It's been done so I'm not going to bother now. I thought it would be useful to more peple than just me but seeing as it isn't I won't bother.

fneh
7th May 2003, 12:51
never mind. found it.

*this post never existed*

Umah Bloodomen
7th May 2003, 19:44
Originally posted by Ardeth Silvereni
The A-Z idea is not unique to Dark Chronicle. It is used on an old inactive fansite (http://www.geocities.com/chronoplast), but it only has a few entries. http://www.legacyofkain.de has a comprehensive A-Z in German.

It's always nice to see new fansites, but for every four started, only one seems to be updated regularly and grows to contain a lot of information.

If you want to start a site, that's great, but try to make your site stand out in some way. If it is inspired by the format of another site, take time over your layout and character descriptions etc, so your site becomes unique. Also, try to maintain your enthusiasm for the project.

I am very familiar with Sekhmet's site. (One of my absolute all-time favorites. Especially in regards to foreign sites). I was just using your site as a humorous example. :D

The geocities one has not been updated in some time, which is a shame. (Like I can talk? :p).

New fansites are a great thing and I do agree with your notion of having something *original* on it to spark the attention of the visitors. Right now I am in the process of changing my layout and a bit of my angle in hopes to make it much more appealing. It's often hard to do something *new and exciting* with a fan site, seeing that a lot of it has been done before. (Scripts, basic game info). There is really little information to work with.

hippiechk
7th May 2003, 22:15
Fneh - don't give up just yet.
Remember, there is a whole new game coming out wich will need coverage on fan sites such as yours. Like I said, I'll be glad to help.

Apocrypha Roxy
23rd May 2003, 23:29
Here's an idea.

Why not make your own LOK Encyclopedia based solely on the mythology of the races and speculation of the war and stuff?

You know, an apocryphal (hehe) tome of the war between the Hylden and the Ancients, as well as some theories we all have. Put it as a whole reference, so that we can check back later to see what hypotheses worked out and what ones fizzled.

'Boy, Darien, you were right when you posted ...'

'Umah, you were right on the nail when you said Janos was evil! EVIL!'
(of course, he's not!)

See what I mean?
It will give you motivation to comb through all the threads ever posted on theories (and there are many of them), and mix em all up into one bundle of lovingly constructed html.

:D Have fun.