PDA

View Full Version : PSMs Defiance Coverage

seaside32
6th May 2003, 14:17
Ok guys, here's the scoop. I received my issue of PSM in the mail yesterday. There is a 4-page feature on Defiance featuring info on the gameplay and story line.
The game will indeed include playable Raziel AND Kain! The story will take place during Nosgoth's dark ages. It mentions Raziel no longer has the support of his "benefactor" (Elder God?) and has become more cynical. One of the powers both will have is telekinesis with Kain being more powerful than Raziel. Not too many other details were shared on the story. The game will use the same engine as SR2 but the combat will be hugely upgraded to play more like DMC1. The camera will be more cinematic panning back to show more of the world of Nosgoth. No other characters were announced so we'll have to see if our favorites have returned (i.e. how is Vorador still alive? and what has become of Janos after the time shift?). The puzzle system will be completely overhauled and environments will be mostly outside now with some pretty sharp forest locations. CD wants this to attract a wider audiance. I just hope they don't dumb it down like Capcom did with DMC2. Expect more twists and confusion with the story line.

PSM says the game appears to be quite ambitious and is expected to far surpass any of the previous four games; however, the character models don't appear to have changed much. PSM did say the game still has at least 6 months of production left which would put it out just before Christmas. Now that both characters are playable, I wouldn't expect a BO3. CD feels they want to bring the series back to the core LOK heritage. Game should be at E3 so we'll hear more from the other mags shortly.

ZeNeR
6th May 2003, 15:24
Did you really had to post it twice? One post could have been enough.

BTW that's quite fascinating. According to the info about LoKD, our wishes may come true.

If this game is a DMC like, it will most likely have these things:
Boss fights
Very addictive battles against multiple enemies at once
Improved battle skills, like acquired abilities from bosses, Reaver enchantments for Raziel (maybe those new Reaver abilities will finally do something :)), spells for Kain (?)

What wasn't mentioned?
Interactive and non-linear world. It's indeed quite nice to have some interactivity or non-linearity. It makes the game more interesting and increases it's longevity.
Puzzles. We don't want this game to be just running towards the enemies and slashing them pieces with Reaver.
Longevity. We don't want this experience to be over by finishing it just once, we want secrets to explore and the main story to be long enough.

Non-linearity and Longevity can be solved with two playable characters pretty well and of course puzzles are an essential part of LoK games, right?

It seems pretty much that CD has listened us and read our wishes. Or this can just be my foul imagination. ;)

Lady Kreliana
6th May 2003, 17:27
I think I read in the article that the game will be divided into chapters, ZeNeR. Ones for Kain and ones for Raziel. Puzzles were mentioned, they'll be more environmentally interactive rather than lock and key. One of the screens had a caption that said something like, "You'll want to explore the surrounding areas to find hidden bonuses."

Hope that helps a little. :)

ZeNeR
6th May 2003, 17:44
Originally posted by Lady Kreliana
I think I read in the article that the game will be divided into chapters, ZeNeR. Ones for Kain and ones for Raziel. Puzzles were mentioned, they'll be more environmentally interactive rather than lock and key. One of the screens had a caption that said something like, "You'll want to explore the surrounding areas to find hidden bonuses."

Hope that helps a little. :)

Actually it does help. :D

I didn't like so much that chapter thingy in BO2. It totally killed all the non-linearity and possibilities for it. :(

Just gotta hope that boys and girls in CD do something unusual and great!

Lady Kreliana
6th May 2003, 18:34
Raz and I were just discussing the whole chapter thing. We're hoping that instead of Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc. that it'll be more like, "Raziel enters a room, scene fades and we start playing as Kain."

ZeNeR
6th May 2003, 18:40
Hey! That's the same thing I hoped for! :D