PDA

View Full Version : they should make the loot more valuable

unseen
5th May 2003, 07:05
I reckon they should make the loot more valuable, cause I go to heaps of trouble checking everwhere for loot, and then I go to the next mission, and I can barley get anything with it.
What do you think?

Surreal Imposter
9th May 2003, 23:31
I always found that the value didn't matter so much as actually finding the loot. It's that moment of pride when your loot total equals the available total, or the inevitable "what did I miss?" when it doesn't. I can always steal the expensive items, but can I steal everything ... :D

Gumdrop
9th May 2003, 23:50
I agree with Imposter. To me, a "fat noblemans trinket" is just that. I don't care if it's worth half a crayman's claw...aslong as I grab it without getting caught, I am a happy taffer. :)

ChangelingJane
10th May 2003, 22:42
I agree. What I'd really like to see are guards noticing that stuff is missing on their next round.

Secrets Of Nosgoth
13th May 2003, 06:22
Heh, then they can have amusing conversations with themselves.
"oh the master is going to fire me for sure if he finds out this is missing."

I do think they should notice it when you cut one of the banners down.

Shayde
3rd Jun 2003, 08:49
Nah, I likr to play the game as if it were a real life situation. I think Garrett would definately be interested in the value of his loot, it is after all his livelyhood.
I think make loot values more realistic. So a golden plate may be worth a little compared to say a ruby or jewelled tiara.
And guards noticing missing loot isn't really a big issue for me but I really think that they would notice if all the banners have been slashed. Well... maybe not Benny :p

bravus
5th Jun 2003, 15:01
I think unseen's original point wasn't so much about the numbers in the loot scores, as about the fact that it doesn;t allow you to buy much. So if you were to raise the value of the loot but also the prices in the store, that concern wouldn't be addressed, for example.

I think the balance of the game is set up very carefully though, unseen. If you could buy out everything in the shop, then you'd tend to rely on, e.g., gas arrowing every guard in a mission, rather than blackjacking or sneaking.

I think if you want to buy more, that actually suggests to me that there are gameplay areas and skills you could explore to use less stuff: many of the most expert players end missions with heaps of stuff left.

So as I say, it's a game balance issue, and if they made the numbers bigger then they probably *would* also make the prices higher, so you have to choose between various bits of kit in preparing for a mission, rather than just buy the lot.

Bravus

Bat-mite
5th Jun 2003, 16:37
How about some global economics? I.e., you are ecstatic because you ended a mission with 6000 in loot, and you just know you are going to be able to by 20 gas arrows in the next mission.

Only trouble is, to your shock and dismay, the next mission is set in a city where the dollar isn't as valuable, and you can only get a few water arrows at best for your 6000.

:o ;)

Zaccheus
6th Jun 2003, 11:30
Or they only take Euros.
:D

ChangelingJane
6th Jun 2003, 17:57
Or worse, you find out you're in the CANADIAN DISTRICT of the City! :eek:

Bat-mite
6th Jun 2003, 18:19
Yeah, man! I went to Canada and the normal $5.00 McDonald's meal was like $600.00!

Or something like that. ;)

bravus
8th Jun 2003, 16:13
Heh, for the honour of my adopted country, let me just point out that the Canadian dollar is at its highest point (just over 74 cents) vis a vis the American in about 4 or 5 years. Mind you, the Aussie and the Euro are up there as well, which suggests that it's actually the US being down...

Anyway... I have no point here. I'm happy though - conferences in Hawaii are *way* more affordable this way than with the Canadian at 65 cents!

Bravus

Shayde
24th Jun 2003, 07:38
I think it's realistic that Garretts equipment costs a lot. It's highly unlikely that the City watch would encourage the sale of gas arrows and land mines etc. So it would be necessarry to smuggle them in which increases the mark-up. Plus the danger to shop keepers of selling banned materials to undesirables would further encourage an increase in final sale price.