PDA

View Full Version : Defiance in this month's PSM

blincoln
3rd May 2003, 22:42
I'm modifying this thread to be a more generalized source of information where fans can get the most recent information on the next Legacy of Kain game.

Here's the original post:

------------

I just received an email tip that June's PSM has full coverage of Defiance. Although subscribers seem to be getting the issue now, according to the PSM website it won't be available on stands until the 13th =(.

I guess this DOES make it official though!

------------

The June issues of EGM and GamePro have **no** coverage of Defiance. It looks to be a PSM exclusive.

hippiechk
3rd May 2003, 22:49
Originally posted by blincoln
I guess this DOES make it official though!

Yup - I would say so.
And damn - I let my subscription run out almost 2 years ago.
Well, I know what store I'll be at on the 13th! LOL

blincoln
3rd May 2003, 22:53
It's a conspiracy to make me subscribe to every gaming magazine under the sun =P.

I would never have guessed that PSM would be the ones to get the scoop on Defiance.

Riovanes
3rd May 2003, 23:13
Blinc, I'm sorry, but I can't exempt you from the way I react to other people...

It should've been obvious that Defiance was well on it's way as soon as those screenshots were yanked - Chris has a habit of making witty comments whenever someone fakes something, and since he's been so silent ever since that happened, I should think that would be a pretty damn solid clue. Can we please leave off this thing now? I'm already sick of hearing about this damned game, and I've been excited about it for over a year.

BAH!!!

blincoln
3rd May 2003, 23:17
Of course it was obvious =P. I'm just saying it's official now, and here's a source for people to get a ton of information and *legitimately-acquired* screenshots.

Riovanes
3rd May 2003, 23:29
Pah - I understand the reasoning, blinc - it's just that this is the tenth "SR3!!!" thread I've seen in recent memory. Too many more, and I may have to start wringing my hands constantly, referring to myself in the third person, and eating a diet solely of fish whilst existing in a dank, dark cave waiting for smelly hobbitsesss...

BAH!!!

blincoln
3rd May 2003, 23:34
At least it bodes well for the game. I don't remember BO2 getting this kind of reception, for example.

Preacher
3rd May 2003, 23:39
Insane Scorpion from GameFAQs has got the PSM issue and said he'd try to scan it in for all us LoK fans to see. =) Apparently the article's a good few pages long...

KainSyndrome101
4th May 2003, 00:01
Sweeeeeeeeet.

It sucks though because my subscription ended with just LAST MONTH'S issue! NOOOOOOO!!!

This is cruel. But at least we'll get to see the scans, and I'll probably drop by Barnes and Noble anyway.

But, but... it's just not fair!:(

Preacher
4th May 2003, 00:07
Pfft, at least you'll actually get the issue. I live in England... :(

KainSyndrome101
4th May 2003, 00:13
Man, that sucks. It always seems like you guys get left out in everything. I feel for ya.

I went on GameFAQs, and Insane Scorpion says it'll take place in the Blood Omen era. If it's true, it seems as if we'll be getting a bunch of story and time twisting delight. Everything looks good except for the part where it says you can only weild the Soul Reaver and Wraith Blade... what the - ? Only one weapon!? Please, no.

blincoln
4th May 2003, 00:44
I wish I could change the way the topic showed up in the thread list.

Anyhow, I picked up the June issues of EGM and GamePro when I went out for groceries. They have NO coverage of Defiance, so don't buy them expecting any.

blincoln
4th May 2003, 00:48
Why would you want to wield anything less powerful than those weapons? I bet Raziel can still pick up pikes and things though, unless the Reaver no longer drains his lifeforce.

I agree that the GameFAQs post (here (http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=36144&topic=7793262&page=2)) makes it sound really cool.

KainSyndrome101
4th May 2003, 01:01
I agree with them being less powerful, but I was hoping you could perform stealth kills and stuff with the pick-up weapons, like in SR1. Plus, it adds variety.

KainSyndrome101
4th May 2003, 02:23
So... does anybody else have the issue yet?

fneh
4th May 2003, 11:38
well to be honest I didn't like weapons much in Sr2. I WILL be pissed if raziel is always using the reaver though. I like to fight using my bare hands a lot.

fneh
4th May 2003, 11:44
.oh yeah and no more weapons vanishing on cut scenes!:D

xarax
4th May 2003, 23:03
I wish they would bring back the warp gates of Sr1, but it's probably too late. :(

warpsavant
4th May 2003, 23:58
I just read the article and crapped my pants. :D

blincoln
5th May 2003, 00:15
Warpsavant, 25 April 2003: "We waited how long for what? Possess the bodies to go to the sinister spectral realm...."

Warpsavant, 4 May 2003: "I just read the article and crapped my pants."

The gods are fickle this season I see.

Preacher
5th May 2003, 00:55
Check out the community chat if you want a link to the article.

hippiechk
5th May 2003, 01:08
Preach - you rock!:D

warpsavant
5th May 2003, 03:49
Originally posted by blincoln
Warpsavant, 25 April 2003: "We waited how long for what? Possess the bodies to go to the sinister spectral realm...."

Warpsavant, 4 May 2003: "I just read the article and crapped my pants."

The gods are fickle this season I see.

Yes, yes we are. :p After that article I'm pretty impressed. Are we sure its the Sr2 engine??

blincoln
5th May 2003, 05:16
Unless they switched plans recently, I am sure this is a derivative of the SR2 engine.

I checked out the article, and I kind of feel like Jodie Foster in Contact when she sees the galaxy - I just don't have the words for how totally rad it looks!

It's like every cool idea that I've ever had for a Legacy of Kain game has been combined into one. This is going to be *so* awesome.

I think it's also a very good sign that PSM is so enthusiastic. I have the article where they reviewed Blood Omen 2, and they certainly didn't pull any punches about how much they disliked it. If they're raving this much about Defiance, I think it's going to be a must-have title for everybody.

Valaquen_
5th May 2003, 15:20
Hey, a shop down town where I live imports PSM!
Sweeeeeeeet!:D

warpsavant
5th May 2003, 17:44
I wonder when EGM and Gamepro will have articles on it? July issue?

blincoln
5th May 2003, 18:04
EGM's June issue says they'll have coverage in July.

Kain's Ancient Blade
6th May 2003, 03:19
Warp was it u that had the interview with Amy? i don't remember.

Preacher what happened to your post, was it torn down? thanks again, i'm glad this time i saved all the pix and articles.

warpsavant
6th May 2003, 04:06
yeah and yeah Preachers post got deleted.

Edit: and I saw some E3 reviews in some magazine, like 100's of little blurbs that didnt do any of them any justice whatsoeva, so I'm very glad it(LOK) appears like it does in PSM!! :p

willow
6th May 2003, 06:23
holy crap... I read it... had a joygasm...

then subsequently have had joygasms every time I've thought of it since.... I'm officially excited... like crazy excited.... the kind of excited where I may just kick my mom RIGHT IN THE FACE...

=F bam!

Vampmaster
6th May 2003, 12:00
If it's at E3 there'll probably be reviews everywhere. PSMs UK counterpart was one of the first to do SR2.

Vampmaster
6th May 2003, 12:55
Lookie here!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/400/400438p1.html

...and here's trouble, but "Release date: Winter 2003".

seaside32
6th May 2003, 14:03
Ok guys, here's the scoop. I received my issue of PSM in the mail yesterday. There is a 4-page feature on Defiance featuring info on the gameplay and story line.
The game will indeed include playable Raziel AND Kain! The story will take place during Nosgoth's dark times. It mentions Raziel no longer has the support of his "benefactor" (Elder God?). One of the powers both will have will be telekinesis with Kain being more powerful than Raziel. Not too many other details were shared on the story. The game will use the same engine as SR2 but the combat will be hugely upgraded to play more like DMC1. The camera will be more cinematic panning back to show more of the world of Nosgoth. No other characters were announced so we'll have to see if our favorites have returned (i.e. how is Vorador still alive?). The puzzle system will be overhauled and environments will be mostly outside now with some pretty sharp forest locations. CD wants this to attract a wider audiance. I just hope they don't dumb it down like Capcom did with DMC2. Expect more twists and confusion with the story line.

The game appears to be quite ambitious and is expected to far surpass any of the previous four games; however, the character models don't appear to have changed much. PSM did say the game still has at least 6 months of production left which would put it out just before Christmas. Now that both characters are playable, I wouldn't expect a BO3. CD feels they want to bring the series back to the core LOK name. Game should be at E3 so we'll hear more from the other mags shortly.

TheElderGodofNosgoth
6th May 2003, 14:53
...Sounds....good....I....think....uhm...I just hope to god that CD has not cast aside the Earth, Water, Spirit Reavers. I really want to see them in the next game.

Vampmaster
6th May 2003, 15:38
Seaside32, you mentioned DMC. Is that what the magazine said or is that your description? I liked the combat system in DMC, but I wouldn't want a menu or for Raz to need to collect a certain number of souls to earn a new move. I think he should have a bunch of moves to start with and the abilities he gains from puzzles and bosses sometimes come with a new move as a side effect. Like how constrict could be used on enemies as well as for puzzles. Oh, and I agree it's not DMC so the story shouldn't be dummed down like DMC was.

seaside32
6th May 2003, 21:05
Vamp,

PSM described the action as DMC-like. Meaning there would be plenty of juggles and very few one on one battles. They also said that both characters will only have one weapon, but how they use it will vary. I'm not quite sure what that means or if the elemental parts of the reaver will still be there.

The story will also be presented in chapters with Kain & Raz alternating chapters. There will plenty of scenes with them together but it wasn't clear from the article if that would be through cut-scenes or not. The screen shots alone look like vast vistas in the tradition of ICO with huge backdrops that look like a cross between Nosgoth, ICO, and DMC1's outside levels.

Hope that helps.

Igraine
7th May 2003, 13:56
[QUOTE]Originally posted by willow
[B]holy crap... I read it... had a joygasm...

then subsequently have had joygasms every time I've thought of it since.... I'm officially excited... like crazy excited.... the kind of excited where I may just kick my mom RIGHT IN THE FACE...

Willow, don`t kick your Mom in the face, instead do what my son did about 6 years ago. TEACH HER HOW TO PLAY! I`m 44 now and my son and I fight over the PS2. But since I bought it I have ownership rights. Nobody could be more excited about this game than I am! I LOVE all of the LoK games even BO2. If they make 100 games in this series I`ll buy each and every one of them. This has made me so happy I fell like kissing everybody I see ! Thank You Eidos!!!!

fneh
7th May 2003, 14:27
Igraine: I want it more. Just ask my girlfriend who's had to endure my enthusiasm.

I challenge you to a duel of enthusiasm! *slaps around the face*:D

Griever
7th May 2003, 16:29
Duels of enthusiasm!!

Whew, I'm getting there. I think there's little hearts and stars and rainbows dancing around my head :D
How I wish my parents would ask me to teach them to play. Instead I just get eyerolls. :::Sigh::: Oh well. I guess some people just don't get all jazzed about saving Nosgoth. :rolleyes:

Igraine
7th May 2003, 17:23
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fneh
[B]Igraine: I want it more. Just ask my girlfriend who's had to endure my enthusiasm.

I challenge you to a duel of enthusiasm! *slaps around the face* ] So you`re just driving your girlfriend crazy? My husband, son ( and all of his friends), daughter, her boyfriend, nephew, my best friend are all sick of hearing about LoK Defiance. I think they will either go insane or else buy me a muzzle until the game actually comes out. Once I do have it I`ll probably only come out of my bedroom for food. Just think, I`ll get to hibernate in my bedroom all winter long snuggled up with Kain and Raziel. What more could a woman want? ( Except maybe Vin Diesel ).

Valaquen_
7th May 2003, 18:15
Lucky people
I don't know anyone in my area thats Lok mad, *sob* I have no-one to talk to about it *sob*...(well theres you guys eh!)

hippiechk
7th May 2003, 21:54
Originally posted by Igraine
Once I do have it I`ll probably only come out of my bedroom for food. Just think, I`ll get to hibernate in my bedroom all winter long snuggled up with Kain and Raziel. What more could a woman want? ( Except maybe Vin Diesel ).

Same here! My husband and daughter already want to have me committed! But man, I am soooooo looking forward to those winter nights curled up on my bed with Kain and Raziel!

You can keep Vin.