PDA

View Full Version : What kind of music you listen?

ZeNeR
2nd May 2003, 12:49
So, I'll be first to tell what I like to listen. :)

My favorite music genre is melodic death metal. Also I like to listen power metal, some black metal and even classical music, like symphonies. :)

Melodic death metal bands: Insomium, Ensiferum, Kalmah, Black League
Power metal bands: Norther, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica
Black metal bands: Finntroll
Various metal bands: Apocalyptica, Sentenced

For some reason, all these are Finnish bands! :D

Omega
2nd May 2003, 13:24
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12695

But what the hey, time for a revival me thinks ;)

I've gotten 'Busted' stuck in my head... that one about the disco, and it's the same damned part as well. Pahtk.

I'm going through a LoK craze now. I burned a few of the best to disk and everynight I listen to it, just before I go to bed (Sarafan Stronhold is my personal fave - sends me right to sleep for some reason!

I've also got the theme to Final Fantasy VIII on it, as well as the one for Tomb Raider IV. Quite cool actually. Oh yeah, themes to Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and the 'Vamp' theme from MGS2. Very cool, synth strings, mmm.

Anyhow, I love anything rock/metal/classical, virtually anything apart from pop, most rap, and R&B. Sorry, but when someone says R&B to me, I think Rhythm and Blues. Guess I'm too old for the new styles.

Actually, I quite like 'Your Still You' sung on an episode of Ally McBeal. Josh someone, but he has an amazing voice, and he's often on ClassicFM (the new music channel, not sure if you have it in the US - as it's based from a UK radio channel.

Good Charllot - Girls and Boys is a funny video, albeit a tad disturbing, and thankfully one of the guitar players does not have his hair spiked up (I got told I looked like him alot).

I'm highly addicted to Audioslave - Like a Stone (you can tell I like it so much as I actually bothered to put it in italics ;)). I may get their album actually - since it's been in my head since I first heard it.

Oh yeah, the sound to blinc's animation he made...

Thanks once again mate, I know all the dialogue off by heart! :p

Aerosmith - the theme to Armogedden (can tell my spelling sucks). "Cos even when I dream of you, the sweetest dream will never do, I'd still miss you baby - and I don't wanna miss a thing". Their remake of the Spiderman theme for the movie is also catchy.

Stone Sour/Cory Talor 'Bother' is also cool, very mellow, as is Incubus' 'Drive', 'Pardon Me', and 'Wish You were here'.

Some good songs are these, play them you must!

hippiechk
2nd May 2003, 14:53
I am a dinosaur.

My tastes are extrememly varied, but my faves fall into the 60's, 70's, 80's category of classic rock and heavy metal. There's not much from 1990 to now that I like.

Led Zeppelin is my all time fave - there's no such thing as a bad Zeppelin tune.
Also like:
Black Crowes
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Iron Maiden
Guns n Roses (Appetite was their best)
Van Halen (w/ David Lee Roth)
Bon Jovi (yeah - go ahead and laugh! I like it!)
The Who
The Beatles
Fleetwood Mac
Rolling Stones
Rush (LOVE them!)
Skid Row
Queen
Buckcherry
Creed
Alanis Morrisette
The B-52's
Ramones
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Talking Heads
Styx
Ted Nugent
Black Sabbath
Alice Cooper
Blue Oyster Cult (aka Soft White Underbelly)
Ozzy
Rainbow
Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
Jefferson Airplane

Oh, here's one from the depths of obscurity - Badlands. Their debut album from 1989 kicks ass! I highly recommend you check it out if you can find it. Jake E. Lee plays guitar and Ray Gillen sings - awesome voice. Unfortunately, they didn't stay together very long. Oh wait! Here's a video of them http://search.launch.yahoo.com/search/lsearch/all?p=Badlands. (scroll down to the orange bar that says Videos, then click on Winter's Call.) But you'll need Netscape Navigator and Windows Media Player to see it.

I also like classical music - particularly Mozart.
I even like some 70's disco, like Donna Summer, Bee Gee's and stuff like that. No Village People though! Puh-Leez!!!!

Ok, I'll stop rambling now.

ZeNeR
2nd May 2003, 16:57
Originally posted by Omega
I'm going through a LoK craze now. I burned a few of the best to disk and everynight I listen to it, just before I go to bed (Sarafan Stronhold is my personal fave - sends me right to sleep for some reason!

I've also got the theme to Final Fantasy VIII on it, as well as the one for Tomb Raider IV. Quite cool actually. Oh yeah, themes to Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and the 'Vamp' theme from MGS2. Very cool, synth strings, mmm.

I've burned some LoK music on CD too! :D:D:D
It just so good. The symphony of Sarafan Stronghold theme, the thrrilling ambient theme of the Elder God... Just gotta love the music of the LoK series! Actually I became interested in LoK games when I saw playing SR1. The graphics were awesome and the music and the atmosphere were just incredible! I just had to buy a copy... :)

I also liked that boss fight music in MGS2, it's quite good, eh? The MG Ray theme and Solidus battle theme is also good. So cool guitar riffs... :D Just gotta adore Harry Gregson-Williams for composing such a great piece of music with computers!

vor
2nd May 2003, 18:13
!. Punk
2. Alittle More Punk
3. Some Rap-Metal
4. Alittle Metal
5. Eminem (i like violence :D )
6. Some more Punk

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 18:22
I'm listening to Qntal (http://industrial-music.com/artist.php?artist=Qntal) right now.

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 18:45
How do you listen to somethin you cant pronounce?

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 19:02
It's kind of tough, but easier than singing along. The vocalist is the female singing equivalent of Dante in DMC.

Chris@Crystal
2nd May 2003, 19:03
Well last night I got to sit in with a band and play drums. It was really a blast. So I've been listening to that band, Freakwagon. You can listen to a bunch of songs for free at their web site www.freakwagon.com.

Other bands I really enjoy:
The Grateful Dead
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
The Black Crowes
Ratdog
Phil Lesh & Friends
Fleetwood Mac
Bob Marley
Violent Femmes
Pink Floyd
Dave Matthews Band
Jane's Addiction
U2
and I'll stop there.
Who cares what the moderator listens to anyways? :)
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 19:06
Weren't you going to a Tom Petty show when I came down to visit, Chris?

Playing drums is a lot of fun. I wish I had the rhythm to go along with the pounding-on-things part =).

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 19:21
I always wondered if Chris was a Dead Head.

Chris@Crystal
2nd May 2003, 19:46
I was going to a Tom Petty show when you came down Blinc. I forgot to add that to the list.

And Sshhhh-
don't tell anyone Warp. But I mean you can put the pieces together...long hair, '65 dodge schoolbus....
I did follow them around for a short time.
The bus came by and I got on.
Take care.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

hippiechk
2nd May 2003, 19:46
Originally posted by Chris@Crystal
Who cares what the moderator listens to anyways? :)

Awwww, I care Chris! How can I not care for one with tastes so similar to my own? :D LOL.
Rock on dude!

Chris@Crystal
2nd May 2003, 19:50
Cool hippiechk.
I actually just got some free tickets in the mail today to the Bone Bash this Sunday with Sammy Hegar, Y&T, El Tri, The Gregg Rolie band, and Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I think I'll go, although I would just mainly want to see Creedence. I must have entered in a contest with a local radio station and won tickets and didn't even know it. :)
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 20:40
I'll never tell...

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 21:34
My musical interest range from:

Industrial, Goth, Dark Wave, Ambient, Electronica, Synth-Pop, Alternative, Metal, Rock and Roll, Classical, Rap (a little), Pop (a little).

My favorite bands are Rammstein, Tool :wumpscut: & Depeche Mode, and lately I've been indulging in Orbital and Agent Provacateur.

Albion
2nd May 2003, 22:01
Jeeez, im way to "teenie bopper" for you Hard Core peeps.
Does no one actually like dance music? or go clubbing? Anything like that?

No?

Pffft.

*goes back to listening to his S Club 7 Album*

:p

Omega
2nd May 2003, 22:52
Originally posted by Albion
Jeeez, im way to "teenie bopper" for you Hard Core peeps.
Does no one actually like dance music? or go clubbing? Anything like that?

No?

Pffft.

*goes back to listening to his S Club 7 Album*

:p

*sadness*

They were actually my only favorite pop band. Ever.

Shame they've split up.

As for genres of music, again, everything - except R&B and Garage.

the abyss
3rd May 2003, 04:29
Personally my favorite groups and styles are all relatively modern. Mostly I enjoy listening to new metal. Since many people have different ideas on what new metal is i'll list a few of my favorite bands to give you people an idea of what I mean by that term. By new metal I mean bands like MuDvAyNe, Disturbed, Slipknot, Godsmack etc. Also lately I have been quite partial to Finger Eleven and A Perfect Circle. Basically I can enjoy anything that has electric quitars, distortion left and right, a vocalist who's either occasionally screaming or constantly screaming but changes pitch once every minute or so...otherwise it just sounds monotonous.

Of course I am partial to select songs of other genres. I enjoy one or two songs from savage garden. I like quite a few Eminem songs. Also, I reeeaaaally like gregorian chanting...I don't know but it sounds cool to me.

there's my two cents....

Rook
3rd May 2003, 20:53
I listen to anything and everything, short of country music. http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/survali/zombie.gif

blue ancient
3rd May 2003, 22:05
I love the blues! SVR is the best, but there are so many more - BB King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters! BOOYAH!!! Also, John Mayer - contrary to radio exposure - is an AMAZING guitar player! See him live!!
I also like Dave Matthews! :p

The Amazing Rando
3rd May 2003, 22:15
I like mostly classic Rock myself. There's no beating Zepplin, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, the Doors. Floyd, the list goes on. I also listen to Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers, that kinda thing.

I basically just like Rock-but the classics most of all.

Chris, if you decide to go, you'll have to give me a Review of Creedence Revisited. I love CCR, one of my favorite bands. I haven't heard Revisited play, so I'm curious. I don't think it could ever be the same though. Lucky you.

hippiechk
3rd May 2003, 22:41
Ah, a few men after my own heart!
It's refreshing to know I'm not the only one who appreciates the classics. And Stevie Ray Vaughn! My GOD! How could I have left him off my list! Oh, the shame…

The Amazing Rando
3rd May 2003, 22:52
yeah hippiechk, right on. Nice list, tho I'm gonna keep mine shorter, many of those are on my list too. The cool thing is that there's 3 classic rock stations that come in all the time here- 1 of them plays new rock too. On goods days, there's a couple more I can pick up on my reciever, so there's almost always something on. I don't hear much new stuff, b/c I'm always listening to classic rock or cd's lol. Funny thing is that most of these artists/groups came along waaay before me, tho some are still performing.

Edit: Ah, I love this thread. It inspired me to make a new Ozzy compilation CD for myself. 16 songs for 78 minutes of goodness.
Thanks ZeNeR. ;)

blue ancient
4th May 2003, 00:34
I'll allow you this one shameless act in the name of Stevie Ray Vaughan!!! ;) *sprints to stereo and plays Texas Flood* *drool; kick;twitch* *sigh* :D

Morte
4th May 2003, 12:09
Actually, better question here would be what kind of music don't I listen to, since my tastes are rather varied.
It spans from all types of Rock and Metal, to Techno and all kinds of Electronica, Gothic Rock, Darkwave, Industrial, some Rap, Jazz, Classical and Ambiental music, along with some odd stuff I have no idea how to categorize.
In general, I prefer to listen to music by individual artist/band/composer, since there are many that transcend the simple definiton of one genre.

Epsillion
5th May 2003, 11:37
hippiechk dont feel like a dinosaur, the list you put together pretty much sums it up for me and im only 19.

I'll have to add one more though: tool

god they are awesome

hippiechk
5th May 2003, 12:26
I am so happy to be in good company here.
Most other boards I post on, I am all alone in my musical tastes.
So thank you all! And ROCK ON!!!!!
*speeds away in flashy convertible with tunes cranked*

ZeNeR
6th May 2003, 12:24
Originally posted by The Amazing Rando
Ah, I love this thread. It inspired me to make a new Ozzy compilation CD for myself. 16 songs for 78 minutes of goodness.
Thanks ZeNeR. ;)

You are welcome. ;)

I forgot to add a band to my list, but my Windowsux™ OS refused to operate anymore, so I had to format my PC and reinstall it... :(

I'm just thankful that there are other (and much better) choices, like different GNU/Linux distros.

So, I present you Insomium.
http://insomnium.cjb.net/
Music is superb, folk influences having melodic death metal. If you are interested, you may found two full songs for download in discography

BTW, it's really nice to see so many replies. :)