PDA

View Full Version : LoK: Defiance will be debuted @ E3

Johnny_anoniem
1st May 2003, 23:17
In addition, Eidos will debut several new titles at the show including Ion
Storm's Thief for Xbox and PC; Crystal Dynamics' Legacy of Kain: Defiance and
Chain Gang; and Climax's Italian Job, based on the upcoming film release from
Paramount Pictures on May 30, 2003.

read more at: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=SVBIZINK3.story&STORY=/www/story/05-01-2003/0001938471&EDATE=THU+May+01+2003,+03:55+PM

I figured you guys would love to hear this news, just like I did ;)

The Amazing Rando
1st May 2003, 23:40
Looks like the same dumb sounding write up for the description as that other .balloon'. I wonder if that's an unofficial write up or if they just meant it to sound like crap. Oh well.

And either this gives real support to the other one, or somebody's site is ripping off somebody else's.

I'm really not too excited about this 'news'. Many of us have been saying this for a long time that it would be at E3. Plus all the other threads with news, like the "SR3 Suprise title at E3" Thread. Not suprising, just a dumb write up IMO.

Anyway, I think 1 thread would have sufficed for this.

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 00:12
This actually seems to be from a reputable source. I'm still going to hold out for an official announcement though.

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 00:43
Originally posted by blincoln
This actually seems to be from a reputable source. I'm still going to hold out for an official announcement though.

As will I. I often find it humorous that third-party websites choose to post the announcement (true or not) even before the home company's website does. (Both US and UK version). Kind of makes you wonder if it's a good idea to be plastering third-party information (true or not) on the home company's forum.

I guess decency and respect to those who actually do us the favor is also a dead artform. :rolleyes: It's not like they wanted to wait to say something or anything. :o

I'll refrain from commenting on the SPAM issue, seeing that this exact post was made over on the BO forums as well. :p

Nigel
2nd May 2003, 01:33
i also read the note on gamers.com

Legacy of Kain: Defiance: This sequel merges the stories of Kain and Raziel, letting players control both vampiric anti-heroes on a quest to discover their shared destiny. Both characters wield magical swords in addition to magical powers (including telekinesis) that let them smite their enemies from afar.*

thats according to gamespot

im wondering if its BS or true

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 02:06
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/400/400440p1.html?fromint=1

Edit:

Is it like Eidos does this without CD's knowledge or something?

The Amazing Rando
2nd May 2003, 02:11

As will I. Besides, that write up still sounds like crap.:p

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 02:15
I dunno! The write ups must be growing on me...

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 02:17
It's all about the corporate machine's glory I tell you. And yes Rando, I have found first graders with better journalism skills. :D :p ;)

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 02:25
I agree with Warp. Everything except the Gamer's Hell writeup has sounded good to me. =P

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 02:26
I am a little confused though, as to why everyone *except* Eidos seems to be announcing the Eidos lineup for E3 at this point.

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 02:36
Because higher ups at Eidos are apparently SMOKING CRACK maybe?

Lady Kreliana
2nd May 2003, 02:54
I guess Moebius has been running out of cash again. He's turned to dealing once more. :D

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 03:06
I am a little confused though, as to why everyone *except* Eidos seems to be announcing the Eidos lineup for E3 at this point.

LOL. Why that was the first thing I noticed too. I've been keeping tabs on both of the Eidos sites (US/UK) and the announcement threads) and so far nada.

You'd think we'd have a little more organization and agreement in regards to when press statements are released. :p

I just feel bad for CD. With all this recent hype, if they get put back because of some crisis, all hell is going to break loose and they're going to be the ones getting the flack because of it.

Gotta love this aspect of Capitalism. :rolleyes: ;)

hippiechk
2nd May 2003, 03:12
I find every new link or info leak more and more convincing - However, I won't truly believe it untill I see it on the Eidos sites and/or under "Official Announcements" here in the forums. God, I really do hope it's true though.

The Amazing Rando
2nd May 2003, 04:13
I agree with Warp. Everything except the Gamer's Hell writeup has sounded good to me. =P

Nah, it sounds ok to me, but that's a prob because this is LoK. I have higher standards for this series. It just doesn't seem up to par to me-something seems wrong and more like it's geared the same way BO2 was as much to newer players. That's just what I think of it anyway.

I also sure hope that Defiance is a working title. bleh.;) It's just too . . .generic for my liking.

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 04:24
Well considering that the entire series to-date has been nothing but defiance, I too think we could've come up with something else. ;)

Riovanes
2nd May 2003, 04:27
And I think, at the very least, they could take this BO2-style combo/juggling crap out of it. It's an adventure game, not a friggin' fighter, for crap's sake... I don't mind a few ground combinations, but if I see anything on the order of Soul Calibur, I may puke.

BAH!!!

The Amazing Rando
2nd May 2003, 04:31
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
Well considering that the entire series to-date has been nothing but defiance, I too think we could've come up with something else. ;)

Well, since they're going more mainstream appeal (at least it seems to me from the very limited knowledge we have), let's try and help them come up with other generic titles that shouldn't be used :) (Maybe this should be it's own thread).

How about LoK:Paradox
LoK:Shifters

Riovanes
2nd May 2003, 04:39
Originally posted by The Amazing Rando
Well, since they're going more mainstream appeal (at least it seems to me from the very limited knowledge we have), let's try and help them come up with other generic titles that shouldn't be used :) (Maybe this should be it's own thread).

How about LoK:Paradox
LoK:Shifters

Okay, before I do this, let me say I'm not trying to be insulting - just giving my opinion.

Paradox would be far too much of a cornball connection to the second game. The tie-in might be nice in your mind, but once you see it on paper it will look silly - plus, the focus of the game won't be Raziel-the-walking-paradox, but rather the undoing of the forces that caused him to come to that point in the first place. So really, it doesn't work.

As for Shifters - I think you can see the rub here - it's so plainly descriptive of what Raziel and Kain have been doing all along as to be almost painful. This is the kind of name you give to a film you expect slow people to attend, and still not get at the end that the main character really, really wanted to kill the badguy dead with his bang-bang gun.

I'm not going to be so bold as to suggest any titles, because at this point nothing with any true ring to it comes to mind. Well, okay, so maybe I'll shoot off a couple - but they won't be any better than the ones I just decried - but I guess anything for the sake of fun is really worth it in the end.

How about...

LoK: Revelation(s)
LoK: Until the End of Forever.
LoK: Breaking the Cycle (yes, I'll be sued by Disturbed)
LoK: More fun than Brain Surgery!
LoK: Just another in an ever-growing empire of franchises!

And my personal favorite...

LoK: Moichandising! Moichandising!! MOICHANDISING!!!

(Seriously, CD, I appreciate the effort you're putting into this one - but I can't resist a good bit of cynical wordplay every now and again.)

BAH!!!

The Amazing Rando
2nd May 2003, 04:47
Originally posted by Riovanes

Paradox would be far too much of a cornball connection to the second game. The tie-in might be nice in your mind, but once you see it on paper it will look silly
BAH!!!

other generic titles that shouldn't be used

Alright Mr. English Major, I hope you realize that shouldn't is a contraction that means should not. This whole title thing is just for a few kicks about how they could bastardize the title a bit more. But I'm sure you know what the definition means, and what I was saying upon closer inspection. :p;)

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 04:49
Originally posted by Riovanes
And I think, at the very least, they could take this BO2-style combo/juggling crap out of it. It's an adventure game, not a friggin' fighter, for crap's sake... I don't mind a few ground combinations, but if I see anything on the order of Soul Calibur, I may puke.

BAH!!!

I think it'd be cool to be able to knock people in the air and then blast 'em with projectiles. I hope we can do that!

Riovanes
2nd May 2003, 04:53
Alright Mr. English Major, I hope you realize that shouldn't is a contraction that means should not. This whole title thing is just for a few kicks about how they could bastardize the title a bit more. But I'm sure you know what the definition means, and what I was saying upon closer inspection. :p;)

Ah... I must've skimmed right over that part... Sorry, my angst reflexes are a bit rusty - haven't had a good reason to use them in a while, and I've been getting ansy...;)

BAH!!!

The Amazing Rando
2nd May 2003, 04:57
I'm dissapointed in you Rio, but you know I couldn't resist. It's not often you leave yourself open. You better keep training during the off-season or else you get rusty.

blincoln
2nd May 2003, 05:09
I like the idea of more complex combat. Not like Blood Omen 2, just more capabilities than the fighting in SR1 and 2. OTOH, I hope the story remains the focus.

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 05:15
I like the idea of more complex combat. Not like Blood Omen 2, just more capabilities than the fighting in SR1 and 2. OTOH, I hope the story remains the focus.

The last time that the storyline remained the focus people whined, that the length of play was too short. **coughcoughSR2coughcough** ;)

Lucent
2nd May 2003, 05:23
Woah, leaked screenshots.

Somebody is so fired.

Either that or the new update crew on this site need to be fired, one or the other. It'd be kinda' sad to think that a third-party website snagged news on Eidos' newest titles before their own site did O.o;;

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 06:01
It's a bit more complicated than that. We think that the screenshots were actually released by CD to a magazine (PC Gamer) who published a post E3 issue (which Blinc said goes on sale this month). The info about the screens being stolen was confirmed. With Eidos/CD deciding to keep it *hush hush* until the actual Expo, someone jumped the gun and the PC Gamer shots/info spread like wildfire to the third-party sites. So someone @ PC Gamer is so fired. LOL

I think, Blinc, Rando and I are of the minority who prefer to wait for *official* confirmation of the game.

Duckman Drake
2nd May 2003, 07:28
http://www.gamepro.com/lofi/article.cfm?article_id=29167

ZeNeR
2nd May 2003, 07:38
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
I think, Blinc, Rando and I are of the minority who prefer to wait for *official* confirmation of the game.

I totally agree with you Umah. We should keep our voices down and wait for *official* confirmation. It's CD's decision and we should respect it. Well, I'm going to just do my silent pondering and write an article full of questions ready for *the moment*. Prepare yourself Lord of the Butterflies! :D But before the moment is here, I'll just ask you all to ignore all conversations releated to LoKD. Surely we can play previous LoK games and talk about something else for a while! :rolleyes:

Umah Bloodomen
2nd May 2003, 07:50
Originally posted by ZeNeR
I totally agree with you Umah. We should keep our voices down and wait for *official* confirmation. It's CD's decision and we should respect it. Well, I'm going to just do my silent pondering and write an article full of questions ready for *the moment*. Prepare yourself Lord of the Butterflies! :D But before the moment is here, I'll just ask you all to ignore all conversations releated to LoKD. Surely we can play previous LoK games and talk about something else for a while! :rolleyes:

Seeing that this thread is filled with more antics and speculation now than anything, I haven't pushed for it to be removed. (Although I can't say the same for the other threads that try to mimic it). ;)

As long as they (the threads) stay relatively speculative and don't serve as an announcement I'm content. But again, I think it's only fair and respectful to the members of CD that any *proof* (if you want to call it that :rolleyes: :p) should be kept off of this forum. (Being that it's the developer's forum and all). I just hate putting good people like Chris and co. on the spot every time someone sneezes LOK. They're under enough pressure from the overheads as it is, we don't need to add to it.

Again, if we were meant to talk about it here, and now, it would've been announced and so far it hasn't. I am just as psyched as the rest of the LOK-fans, but I am not really in that much of a hurry for information. E3 realistically isn't that far away and I am sure the game will be featured in many magazines, sites, etc.

TheElderGodofNosgoth
2nd May 2003, 13:34
Looks like the same dumb sounding write up for the description as that other .balloon'. I wonder if that's an unofficial write up or if they just meant it to sound like crap. Oh well.

If it is a standard write up then you just insulted someone at CD. It looks like the screen shots and discription at Gamers Hell are up again. Anyway IMO is is all legit (SP?). Wow my first post in forever. Cool.

Glucolisis
2nd May 2003, 18:00
Where are those damn pictures you are ALL talking about????????!!!!!!:confused:

I want to see them, don`t care if they were stolen or not.

Glucolisis
2nd May 2003, 18:48
THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

i don`t check my PM very often.

AGAIN thank you!

warpsavant
2nd May 2003, 19:14
de nada amigo

The Amazing Rando
3rd May 2003, 02:21
Originally posted by TheElderGodofNosgoth
If it is a standard write up then you just insulted someone at CD. It looks like the screen shots and discription at Gamers Hell are up again. Anyway IMO is is all legit (SP?). Wow my first post in forever. Cool.

Well, yes, probably I did, but I still think the write up is horrible. You're never going to please everyone with your work, and I do know what I'm talking about on this subject. There's always critics. I've had people not like my writing as well. I'm not trying to insult the writer, but I still think the write-up sounds horrible. Does/Will this affect what I think of the game? No. Does it make me less enthused for the next game? No. It's just a write-up that I don't think is up to par.

Besides- unlike the games- I doubt anybody spent years writing this up. IMO it looks like something that, once you have the basic idea, would only take a little bit of time to write. It's not really that long. That's a good thing- it means they were able to get right back to work on the game instead of taking time for this.

Umah Bloodomen
3rd May 2003, 02:30
Man, first we can't be sarcastic, now their depriving us of being cynical too? **shakes head** :p ;)

I do agree with your sentiments about the article though, Rando. Usually such quality has to do with being *rushed* or *pressed for time* in some manner. Very common for those who aren't used to writing under pressure, IMO.

The Amazing Rando
3rd May 2003, 02:40
Jeez, ever since the war started, you're not allowed to disagree with anything are you. *cough1984cough* I better doublethink before the thought police come after me. *old man voice*When I was young, people were expected not to get along. There was supposed to be diversity, it's what made America great. That and walking up to school through 6 feet of snow uphill both ways. That's the way is was and we Liked it!:p

Yes, it does seem like someone not used to such time restraints or whatever. I've noticed this in some stories for the school paper when some people put it off too long, especially the slower typers.

Umah Bloodomen
3rd May 2003, 02:44
I was the Opinions editor for my high school paper (Like I'd be anything else? ;)) and let me just stress, there are people in this world not qualified for journalism. (My editor-in-chief was one of them) :p

I am sure when things are more *formally* (and *officially*) announced, we'll see a change in writing-style.

The Amazing Rando
3rd May 2003, 02:52
Ah, we do group editing, and there's only a few of us that actually know what we're doing. There are 'Sr. Editors' but those are just 2nd yr students. It has nothing to do with writing ability. I honestly can't see why some people were allowed in the class (you needed the teachers permission) as many still haven't mastered things like to/too/two, or their/there/they're. About the only good they are is funding my doughnuts-after the paper goes out, we edit as a class the final product. Every error is charged $.25 until you max out at $2.00. It's so nice of them to buy me food. :D

Edit: Yeah, I'm sure once there are announcements and after E3 it will shape up a lot better. Not to mention that I'm sure the writing for dialog in-game is gonna be tons better. Otherwise the game is going back. :p

SIGIL
3rd May 2003, 15:53
Well I think that having a more in depth combat system would just make more sense for the series. After all do you really think that it is that realistic that a vampire lord would only know a few kicks and punches? I would think that they would be martial arts masters. And no I am not talking Kung Fu or Aikido, I am talking about just general martial arts such as swordsmanship and such.

Preacher
3rd May 2003, 16:32
I think they're doing it to add more fun to the gameplay other than anything else, it was a little boring knocking your enemy to the ground then waiting for them to get up before you could attack them again. Besides, I like this idea of making more use of their telekinetic abilities and damaging surroundings. =)

Riovanes
3rd May 2003, 23:20
Originally posted by SIGIL
Well I think that having a more in depth combat system would just make more sense for the series. After all do you really think that it is that realistic that a vampire lord would only know a few kicks and punches? I would think that they would be martial arts masters. And no I am not talking Kung Fu or Aikido, I am talking about just general martial arts such as swordsmanship and such.

As a professional martial artist (I instruct at a local academy), I can tell you that Iai-to, which would be Japanese swordsmanship, is not in itself considered a martial art - it is an extension of Zanjii-Shinjiken Ryo, which was the hand to hand art of the elite samurai class of Japan. The swords were extensions of their owner - as such they were there for application to the art, but were not an art in themselves. It might be different for other schools, but at least the line we teach isn't it's own art.

Oh, and by the way - just because someone has been around a long time or has a lot of power doesn't mean they're martially competent. Napoleon Bonaparte couldn't have fought his way out of a moldy paper sack barefisted - and yet he conquered most of Europe. Martial competence is something to be pursued for reasons other than simple combat - if that's the reason you come to the martial arts, then you need to turn and walk the other way. Besides, look at the way Kain and Raziel have developed - they have claws, amazing reflexes, and inhuman strength and agility - they literally are the perfect predators, and as such have adapted their bodies to fit that role. To give you an example of what I'm trying to say, consider the lion - they are terribly efficient killers - but I'd never call what they do martial arts. They simply use the weapons that their evolution has provided them - so if we're being logical here, then the vampiric evolutionary process would have progressed to the point where Kain, Raziel, and their ilk would have come to rely almost instictively on their claws in order to defend themselves. Years of living and experience don't make you a master of anything - but they'll definitely get you stuck in certain habits, and make you reliant upon others.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to point out that nearly every fighting form in the world, from Kra'av Naghra to Sambo to Boxing can be considered a martial art. Just because something is oriental in origin does not automatically make it exclusively heir to the title "martial art." Every time one human being raises their fist to another, they are engaging in martial contest - and in that sense, are practicing a martial art - whether they're artistic about it or not is another thing entirely, but that's beside the point. "General Martial Arts" would be just what you were complaining about - plain punches and half-assed kicks. If you want to give a fighter form, then give him a FORM, and don't just say "make him fight with general martial arts." To generalize all martial arts under an oriental heading isn't just typically American - it's ignorant.

Sorry about that... I tend to get my feathers ruffled when something that's such a big part of my life gets thrown around so lightly. I despise that about American culture - we see a ninja movie or two, and suddenly we're experts and able to throw terminology around as if we know what it means. What bilge.

BAH!!!

Preacher
3rd May 2003, 23:41
Winner is you? o_O

blincoln
3rd May 2003, 23:50
I think you forgot to mention the martial art of verbally thrashing someone there, Rio.

Shadow Man
4th May 2003, 16:18
What are the pictures that everyone is talking about???

Valaquen_
5th May 2003, 15:24
So I'm guessing thats Its called Defiance cause Kain andRaziel are defying Time/the Hylden/Elder etc?

Fenrir
5th May 2003, 19:54
Can anyone send me those pics?