PDA

View Full Version : Motorbikes.....Grrr

Baby_drew
24th Apr 2003, 20:57
I realise that this is ANOTHER really off topic post from me......but its just i love sharing my personal life with loads of complete strangers.......:-D

anyway I'm thinking of getting a motorbike what do people think, good idea? bad idea?

....umm and to make it a bit more LOK what you think about raz or Kain on a bike ? come on it would be kinda cool :-D

blincoln
24th Apr 2003, 22:04
I think they're cool, but I can't ride them. I can't resist putting my feet down when they lean over, which is of course bad at high speeds.

hippiechk
25th Apr 2003, 12:07
Definitely cool, but dangerous.

I can't ride either. I am always terrified when I hop on the back of someone elses bike.

I like the look though, as I wear my biker jacket all winter. People keep asking me "where's your Harley?" I tell them honestly - I don't have one, it's just a look I'm going for.

As for Kain and Raziel, yeah, they might look cool on bikes ala Dante (DMC). But I don't know, bikes would look kinda awkward in Nosgoth.

resh
22nd Jun 2003, 17:33
:) ..... I think they're cool bt are definatly dangerous. My Mum had a go on one in the 70's. She put it into the wrong gear or something and it done a wheely, she fell off, all scraped and bruised and the bike was damaged. It also depends whether it is practical for you:)

fneh
22nd Jun 2003, 19:40
I can't ride yet but that's because being a student takes away such luxuries. My dad has a VERY nice speed triple (triumph. the one from MI2 but a newer model with a load of addons) which I used to go to work on the back of. It's very scary blasting down the motorway at 150MPH I must say but there's really nothing like it.

A word of advice to you death wish americans though. BUY A HELMET! Only a total idiot rides a bike without one. Leathers too. If you think your jeans, T-shirt and a pair of sunglasses are enough then you deserve everything you get when a car crashes into you.

From what I hear, in america you can pretty much buy a bike and ride it away. No licence or helmet required. This really true? Is it the governments way of reducing the population or are they just trying to scare ppl away from buying bikes in the first place by letting ppl get their faces torn apart.....

Matt from Spam Buddies
22nd Jun 2003, 20:25
Cool. Can't ride. Maybe some day will. Hope so. Period.

- Matthew

Omega
22nd Jun 2003, 21:43
I've got mixed feelings about this.

I see them all the time where I live, people speeding way too much, and it drives me insane with fear.

Guess I'm too much of a safety freak....

blincoln
22nd Jun 2003, 22:03
When I visited California, I got paranoid driving because there it's legal for motorcyclists to ride down the center line. Usually it's pretty safe though, as long as the full-size cars know you're there. My dad commuted to work for years on a motorcycle.

Valzara
23rd Jun 2003, 03:37
... my parent even not allow me to get motorcycle license.:(

hippiechk
23rd Jun 2003, 11:38
Originally posted by fneh
From what I hear, in america you can pretty much buy a bike and ride it away. No licence or helmet required. This really true? Is it the governments way of reducing the population or are they just trying to scare ppl away from buying bikes in the first place by letting ppl get their faces torn apart.....

From what I know, this is not true. In the USA, all motor vehicles (including bikes and motor boats too) do require at the very least, registration with the Department of Motor Vehicles for whichever state you live in. I do believe you need a license to operate a motorcycle. Helmets on the other hand, are a hot debate in the USA right now. Some states require them, while others leave it optional.

I agree that if you don't wear a helmet while riding, you deserve what you get. Though I don't know that it should be mandatory. I'd like to think of it as natural selection.

Omega
23rd Jun 2003, 12:55
Hmmm, what does everyone think about mopeds(sp?)?

They too are all the rage admist the 'trendies' and you see them speeding down the streets with no concern for anyone else, and they don't have safety gear.

God, I am sounding old!

Dark_Raziel01
21st Apr 2004, 19:38
their mad i use 2 love riddin it with my bro it was some of my best experiances but 1 not so got 1 is my dog was in the stree & my bro was riddin his motorbike & just then my dog jumped in front of it & died (i was aroun 7 or 8 when it happened) & it was a realy good dog i think it use 2 be a police dog or some thing like taht

LOK kain is the greatest
21st Apr 2004, 23:55
I love them but they are dangerous, me know as i had a bad spill myself. i had a harley davidson soft tail. she was lovely. but um.......i kinda plowed into the road when me kick stand decided to fall down when i was doing 40. made a nice deep cut in the road, bike flipped and i ended on the floor with a busted leg. lucky that all i got.

but i am still going to get another.(when i can afford it. harleys so expensive:( )

Luv KITG

Baby_drew
22nd Apr 2004, 09:23
Its kinda appropriate this thread has popped up as ive just sold my bike! lol i loved riding it, but a year on and I dont think i can warrant the money for the insurance as I dont ride it nearly enough because transport links here in london are so good. But just for memories sake Ive added a link to my webpage showing the bike :

http://www.geocities.com/eightballxion/2003July.html

evil_sharkey
22nd Apr 2004, 16:58
From what I hear, in america you can pretty much buy a bike and ride it away. No licence or helmet required. This really true?

Yes, you do need a motorcycle license in addition to your regular drivers license. I don't know if the same is true for those stupid little scooters, though, judging by the way people drive them around here.

I'm all for motorcycles. Heck, I rode in to work with my dad just today, and I have helmet hair now. However, a lot of people ride them recklessly and noisily, and they give everyone else a bad name, hence terms like "donorcycle" and "road crayon". When you wear leathers and a helmet and obeys traffic rules you're only in danger from inattentive car drivers who never turn their heads or *hsssssss* yak on their cell phones while driving and idiot pedestrians who assume that the laws of men take precedence over the laws of physics, and they can just step out ten feet in front of moving vehicles and expect them to stop. Oh yeah, and if you get into an accident, expect to be well tenderized. The only crumple zone in a motorcycle is your helmet.

My dad has been in five serious motorcycle accidents, one a hit-and-run that nearly killed him (scuzz bag left him bleeding in a ditch to avoid getting busted for drunk driving). He always wore his helmet and, after the first case of road rash, his leathers. A good friend of mine was a passenger in a low speed collision with another bike. She flew off, landed on her head, and spent a week on life support before they pulled the plug. The only serious injury on any of the four riders involved was her cracked skull. None of them were wearing helmets. If she had been, she would have walked away, and her parents wouldn't have had to bury another child. Keep this in mind if you're considering riding a motorcycle or a scooter.

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Apr 2004, 17:55
Originally posted by evil_sharkey
Yes, you do need a motorcycle license in addition to your regular drivers license. I don't know if the same is true for those stupid little scooters, though, judging by the way people drive them around here.

In Michigan a couple of years ago, a local news channel uncovered that many motorcycle retailers were in fact allowing unlicensed bikers to purchase bikes. It was also discovered that a little more than half of the bikes were actually registered here and that the same amount of bikers had the appropriate endorsement on their licenses.

The research also uncovered that this practice was commonplace elsewhere in the country as well, leading to a crackdown here, and from what I heard, the midwest. Additionally, we (in Michigan) have a law requiring that only individuals that are sixteen (16) and over are allowed to operate scooters, Spree's, mo-peds and ATV's and must go through a certificate program much like what needs to be done with regard to boating/jet-skiing and snowmobiling. The legislation with regard to the scooters and Spree's is relatively new (within a couple of years anyway) due to the recent amount of accidents that people were getting into regarding them.

We also have a helmet law. however that's not true in all states.