PDA

View Full Version : I want a big box with PAPER

Kmorg74
23rd Apr 2003, 21:34
Hello all,

i am always happy to pay for a game like Preatorians with dozens of hours of play. That is the best time/money ratio for leisure that i know of.

However, i am seeing a trend in the gaming industry that i frown upon. My original copy of Preatorians came with the barest minimum of printed material, in a flimsy DVD like box. There was not even an in depth ELECTRONIC manual....

Same for Warcraft3...

It looks downright cheap.

I want PAPER. I want nice colored printed material with drawings and art on it. (i want a storyline too)

K. of France

nitroace30
24th Apr 2003, 04:29
Yeah, i would have liked the manual to have been a bit better-they didn't really tell you how to fight-i would have liked them to explain tactics-that would have been cool. But i think they produce cheap stuff because well its cheaper-this boosts their profit. They dont have to spend to much on making manuals.

bond0bhave
24th Apr 2003, 09:34
Even just a basic breakdown of unit stats would be nice, which archers have greater range which units are better against what.

Most games have stopped releasing big manuals, but an electronis version can just be put on the cd, isnt large and allows us to find out more about the units.

I dont think the people who made the game realise what a good game it is. It would be up there in the WC3 league in terms of sales, but only if it had better advertising and web presence.

Souto
24th Apr 2003, 10:02
Hi Kmorg,

Where did you buy your copy from? All released version should have a 40 page manual and a wallchart outlining troop types and strengths and weaknesses (of all three civs).

I'm puzzled as to how you did not get this.

Cheers,

Souto:confused:

Souto
24th Apr 2003, 10:03
and a control reference sheet.

Souto

bond0bhave
24th Apr 2003, 11:56
I got mine in a dvd box, I prefer the dvd box to a cardboard one, as it is smaller and easier to store, but my main gripe with the packaging is that the information inside doesnt have much factual information, I would have liked there to have been some documentation on the cd giving info about units and stats on them.

Souto
24th Apr 2003, 12:04
Did you not get the wallchart?

bond0bhave
24th Apr 2003, 12:07
I didnt see any wallchart when I got my game, I think i will be takign a walk past the shop I got it from on the way back home.

silvercue
24th Apr 2003, 12:23
they don't want to give everything away - as they like to release money-spinning player-guides (which are useless for RTS games as patches usually change all damage types etc).

Kmorg74
24th Apr 2003, 16:46
I got the right package with the manual and wallchart...but it is so ...well cheepo...

What i mean is that i want cool looking stuff like they used to do a few years back. where a manual was almost a hardcopy book...

Athos
25th Apr 2003, 00:32
Well if you really want background information for the game, go do a little research on the internet or buy several books about Rome.

I think a big hard copy manual with pages and pages of storyline is more necessary for games like Warcraft or Diablo.

But yes there is a new trend towards this small little boxes. Oh well, as long as the games are great, I could care less about the box.

Souto
25th Apr 2003, 08:52
Hi Kmorg,

You actually said...

"However, i am seeing a trend in the gaming industry that i frown upon. My original copy of Preatorians came with the barest minimum of printed material, in a flimsy DVD like box. There was not even an in depth ELECTRONIC manual....

I want PAPER. I want nice colored printed material with drawings and art on it. (i want a storyline too)"

Do most games now come in those DVD boxes in your country (France right?).

Also, you actually said "I want paper". This is what shocked me most as all versions should have "above average" printed materials. Most games released only have a manual and DVD (in a DVD box) and that's all. I think that Praetorians was pretty good. (And it's Praetorians not Preatorians ;o)

The industry is moving towards smaller manuals unless extremely necessary due to the fact that a manual is only for reference (a la Civ/Warcraft). All developers should anyway be aiming to create gameplay that does not require manual usage at all.

Do you not agree? If we want to read something then we should buy a book.

Cheers,

Souto

bond0bhave
25th Apr 2003, 09:10
I agree with you about the game, It doesnt need to eb a massive 100 page guide to what to do, but I really want stats, like in the wallchart it does give ranges, however very-high doesnt let me know whether barbarian archers have a greater range or a lesser range than aux archers also I know through playing that spearmen do well against cavalry, but showing us percentages would be nice to see.

Kmorg74
25th Apr 2003, 21:54
Souto

yep, i did not pay attention :o

For the printed material, bond0bhave gave part of the argument. The light manual just does not give enough data.

But that is not the point i wanted to make.

For me, a game is not just the software. It is the whole experience.

A nice cardboard box full with material with data of the game world gives that experience substance and reality. Just slapping code on a CD and shipping takes a bit out of my enjoyment.
:p

Get me right here, PrAetorians is a great game. One of the best i played. I am just complaining for the lack of style, and the trend that is setting in.

:D

One day someone will serve you Chateau Haut Brion in a plastic cup and you will get my meaning.

Souto
28th Apr 2003, 09:15
I have tried it and it wasnt nice! :D

I agree with what you say, it shouldnt just be an open the box and just a CD inside experience. You should feel like you have just bought "quality". I did think however that Praetorians offered more than many other games do in terms of "open box" quality.

I do agree though that more number based stats would have been better. Well that something we have to look at.

Cheers,

Souto

artifax
29th Apr 2003, 10:24
:mad:

Children children Please,
I agree with all of you but alot of what the "Manualette" states seems a little vague.
I still dont get what UCP & TCP's are I realise that when you dont have enough you cant make any more troops but surely this should just be refered to as Maximum Force size, or such

I'm sure this is all very obvious can some clarify ???
Also the Manual is disjointed
Blah Blah Blah...:confused: ART