PDA

View Full Version : PS2 or Game Cube?

Metal Monkey
21st Apr 2003, 17:26
Hey everyone. I just got a Game Cube, but got a PS2 as well and wanted to pick up Time Spliiters 2, but was wondering: is there a big difference, or any at all, between the gameplay on the two systems? Like, is the game harder to control on PS2 VS Game Cube? Thanks :D

Mike

AB-109
21st Apr 2003, 18:05
I remember when I was where you are now! I have all next gen consoles so when I decided to get TS2 I didnt know which one to get it on but after trying it on all 3 I decided to get it on gamecube.

There is no difference in gameplay on the three and theres very little visual difference so its a tough choice.

Gamecube and xbox both have 4 controller ports so you dont have to get a multitap like with the ps2.

Xbox is obviously the fastest so the game will be smoother on it out of the three and you can go online with it and play the game online using GameSpy and a pc.

Gamecube I thought had the best controls and I know more people with a gamecube which makes it easier to play against them so thats why I got it on GC ^_^

Iiro
22nd Apr 2003, 05:09
Yeah.. And GC has a bit better graphics than ps2.

Reaperbot
22nd Apr 2003, 05:29
Originally posted by Iiro
Yeah.. And GC has a bit better graphics than ps2.

WHAT!!?!?!? No way! All of the versions are exactly the same.
They all look the same and have the same framerates.
Still the PS2 has the best controller though.

AB-109
22nd Apr 2003, 05:43
Actually Iiro is right, the textures on the gc have a slightly better colour depth but ps2 models seem more polished and xbox has the best lighting and framerates!

Its just the way the consoles handle different aspects of the game. Its impossible for the game to be EXTACTLY the same unless it was on the same console!

Ab ^_^

Metal Monkey
22nd Apr 2003, 14:41
Well, I ended up getting Time Splitters 2 for GameCube, eb games had it for about 20 bucks used. Surprisingly, I really like the control feel for the GC, wasn't sure how I would with the 2 different control sticks. Thanks for all the help guys :)

Mike

DrkSnpr14
22nd Apr 2003, 14:57
The duelshock 2 is so much better for first person shooters than the game cube controler. And Ive tried both, so dont start with that crap. The double joysticks are smooth and very responsive allowing for the potential for full control. Give it a shot. If you dont like your control scheme, set up a fully customised one. You pick what button does what. I got mine close to Goldeney, or Perfect Dark.;)

spanks
22nd Apr 2003, 15:17
Originally posted by DrkSnpr14
The duelshock 2 is so much better for first person shooters than the game cube controler. And Ive tried both, so dont start with that crap. The double joysticks are smooth and very responsive allowing for the potential for full control. Give it a shot. If you dont like your control scheme, set up a fully customised one. You pick what button does what. I got mine close to Goldeney, or Perfect Dark.;) Well, I too have played both extensively and I have the opposite opinion. The trick on Gamecube is that you have to use the left stick to aim/turn and the right to run/sidestep. The short right c-stick on the cube is actually an advantage for quick changes in direction, and the left stick is more precise for aim. It takes some time to reprogram your brain (especially if you're used to Halo defaults or something else) , but it's worth it.

Grom the Scatman
22nd Apr 2003, 17:08
I picked i up on the GC...I feel it's the smoothest, even compared to the Xbox. Plus I prefer the GC controller over the other two...Just my two cents.

DrkSnpr14
22nd Apr 2003, 19:09
Sorry, should have been more specific. I dont like the Game cube controller, only because the joysticks dont have as good as a grip. On the duel shock 2, theres sort of a rubbery texture that grips your thumbs. The Gamecube controler keeps slipping at inoppertune moments. (like being shot at!) I had the same slippage problem with the 64 controler with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. It drove me mad, and I didnt want to go through that again. It's not the control scheme or anything, just the joysticks.

Iiro
23rd Apr 2003, 05:27
My fingers have Never slipped from the gamecube joysticks. On my friends ps2 though.. thats another story.

Controller wars are quite stupid though, so I think we should stop this and go play some ts2 with our own consoles of choice.

Reaperbot
23rd Apr 2003, 08:20
The only thing I don't like about the gamecube controller is that the z button is in a really awkward place.

Anyway Nintendo made a good controller finally.

Dark X Dragon
23rd Apr 2003, 11:21
I have a PS2 but prefer TS2 on gamecube it is easy to

Zoom/change weapon
crouch
Less likely to hit secondary instead of primary by mistake :rolleyes:

DrkSnpr14
23rd Apr 2003, 15:07
Originally posted by Iiro
Controller wars are quite stupid though, so I think we should stop this and go play some ts2 with our own consoles of choice.

Good point! Now I'm gonna go get my sniping on!:cool:

hawkofsky
25th Apr 2003, 01:11
GC FOUR PLAYERS..... i rest my case

digit
25th Apr 2003, 02:58
AH, I can't really tell, I don't have a GameCube, so I don't know. But I've played Turok: Evolution for GameCube and that tiny C-stick is just...well, homogenized! I hate it!

(Speaking of Turok, that one multi level where you're in the jungle and there are dinos everywhere is great for playing "Jurassic Park," something my bro and I made up. Put the weapons on shotties, find them, go co-op! Also, if you go on top of those cliffs, you can jump down to the smaller rocks and no dinos can get you! Also, playing this map with one human and the other 3 players be raptors is fun. Third-person madness!)

I chose to get TS2 for PS2 for two reasons:

1) TS2 and PS2 look identical as abbreviations (or is it acronyms :confused: )

2) I've only got a PS2.

digit
25th Apr 2003, 03:00
EVERYBODY GET TIMESPLITTERS 2 FOR THE ATARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reaperbot
25th Apr 2003, 08:56
Originally posted by hawkofsky
GC FOUR PLAYERS..... i rest my case

LOLOLOL!!! All of the consoles can have 4 player TS2 games!

16 player PS2 games! I rest my case.........:p :p :p :p :p

AB-109
25th Apr 2003, 18:05
I think he ment that it can have 4 player without needing extra stuff which is a waste of money eg multitap or another ps2 (for 16player) but your right xbox can do that too and hopefully PS3 cos if it doesnt then god help sony :rolleyes:

Ab ^_^

DrkSnpr14
25th Apr 2003, 20:21
Originally posted by AB-109
... but your right xbox can do that too and hopefully PS3 cos if it doesnt then god help sony :rolleyes:

Ab ^_^

You took the words right out of my mouth.:cool:

Reaperbot
26th Apr 2003, 03:46
hopefully PS3 cos if it doesnt then god help sony :rolleyes:

There's an advantage to having an external multitap though, you can play 8 player sports games with 2 multitaps!!!!!(I don't play sports games!)

But anyway it doesn't seem to matter anyway.
Most people are still buying ps2s.

Aus xmas console sales:
Figures have been released that show that the Gamecube was a huge flop over the holiday period in Australia. Only 5836 units were sold, compared to 84,477 Playstation 2 units and 45,939 Xbox units. That represented only 3% of the hardware sales. We think the situation is pretty much the same here in New Zealand, although no firm holiday sales figures have been released yet. Retailers here and in Australia are very frustrated with Nintendo's lack of marketing and support.

See for yourself here: http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/News/Archives.200301/#article4730

It doesn't matter on wether it has the best graphics or features.
It depends on the games. Which Nintendo only make about every 4 months or more.

AB-109
26th Apr 2003, 09:53
Originally posted by Reaperbot
There's an advantage to having an external multitap though, you can play 8 player sports games with 2 multitaps!!!!!(I don't play sports games!)

Ya but if you had a 4 port console you could put in 4 multitaps which surely is better than 2 :p

Ab ^_^

Reaperbot
26th Apr 2003, 22:27
Ya but if you had a 4 port console you could put in 4 multitaps which surely is better than 2 :p

Ab ^_^

But the thing is, there are no multitaps for the gc and xbox(not even unofficial).
The ps2 is the best for sports games then.

Switchblade 69
27th Apr 2003, 05:50

Aus xmas console sales:
Figures have been released that show that the Gamecube was a huge flop over the holiday period in Australia. Only 5836 units were sold, compared to 84,477 Playstation 2 units and 45,939 Xbox units. That represented only 3% of the hardware sales. We think the situation is pretty much the same here in New Zealand, although no firm holiday sales figures have been released yet. Retailers here and in Australia are very frustrated with Nintendo's lack of marketing and support.

im just happy that you mentioned Australia!!:);)

get the game on whatever console YOU enjoy best and the controls YOU prefer. my theory is go by your own brain and skillz!

Reaperbot
28th Apr 2003, 07:19
Yup! END OF TOPIC!

RedDougway
29th May 2003, 06:37

It doesn't matter on wether it has the best graphics or features.
It depends on the games. Which Nintendo only make about every 4 months or more.

It does depend on the games.

But I would prefer to have good quality games rather than choose from hundreds of crap games.

-d

Reaperbot
30th May 2003, 08:40
Originally posted by RedDougway
It does depend on the games.

But I would prefer to have good quality games rather than choose from hundreds of crap games.

-d

Lol!

Nintendo does make hundreds of crap games!!
THEY'RE ALL CRAP!!!!!

While millions of games coming out for the other consoles are soo cool!!!!! Games that are ORIGINAL and aren't SEQUELS all of the time.

ANYWAY! I THOUGHT I ENDED THIS TOPIC WEEKS AGO!! UGH!

Iiro
30th May 2003, 12:31
You know how it goes Reaperbot.. Quality over quantity.:p

Reaperbot
31st May 2003, 03:57
Most Sony games = Quality games!

Most Nintendo games = Crappy games!

I can't be bothered continuing this stupid argument.
But anyway, Nintendo sucks.

TimeSplittersDude
5th Jun 2003, 01:43
I like both. I just got the PS2 version cause PS2 sells better. That's all. If Gamecube sold better I would have gotten it for Gamecube in a heartbeat.

AB-109
5th Jun 2003, 09:07
So you just follow the crowd then :eek:

If they all jumped off a cliff.......:rolleyes:

Ab ^_^

cheatcountry
14th Jun 2003, 02:33
YOU FORGOT TO MENTION XBOX!!

AB-109
15th Jul 2003, 17:49
If you read the first post you'll see that the guy only owns a PS2 and GC so he doesnt care what we think bout xbox. The poll is to help him decide which version he should get!

Gravewizard
15th Jul 2003, 20:48
The PS2 controlers are just better. What else needs to be said? So says Gravewizard!!!

Capt. Lenko
11th Aug 2003, 15:14
Well PS2 and Gamecube eh? I loathe PS2 bad graphics. GC and Xbox all the way! So GC

the_internet_king
21st Aug 2003, 17:33
ps2s dotn have bad grapics, anyway i dont have a gc so ps2