PDA

View Full Version : Sure guards will see Garrett's shadow...but what about his silhouette?

TRoosevelt_26
13th Apr 2003, 08:49
So how 'bout it? Often in Thief I find myself scared to death because I'm obviously silhouetting myself against a bright light, yet I am (of course) never seen.

Should this be implemented in Thief III? It would certainly add an entire new dimension to the game...

Specter
13th Apr 2003, 22:19
I agree, that should be implemented. Ive been playing Splinter Cell, and I dont know how many times Ive been completly sky-lit and yet still invisible. Adding that to the AI would certainly make Thief a more difficult game.

ChangelingJane
14th Apr 2003, 18:40
It's less a question of should it be implemented, and more a question of how it would be implemented. Giving AIs the ability to detect silhouettes wouldn't be an easy task.

Specter
16th Apr 2003, 19:36
Well, building a computer game from scratch isnt an easy task either. This isnt an eye candy thing, this is something that would affect how the game is played, I think for the better. So, if they can, I believe they should.

Zaccheus
17th Apr 2003, 11:49
It wouldn't be that difficult, actually.

Draw a line from the AI to Garrett, and continue the line until it hits a surface. That surface is was Garrett is abscuring.

If Garrett is 'dark' and the obscured 'something' behind Garrett is 'light' (and big enough to be seen around Garrett) - you are visible.

Specter
17th Apr 2003, 16:24
Well, I dont pretend to know anything about programing, but if it's that simple, maybe this is something we can legitimately hope for. No?

ChangelingJane
17th Apr 2003, 16:47
If it was that simple, it would've been in the first game. You can't determine a silhouette by doing a single line-of-sight trace. The light "halo" that creates a silhouette covers an area, not just a single point. It'll be cool if this is implemented in T3, but I'm not betting on it.

Specter
17th Apr 2003, 17:03
Do I smell a bet coming on? :p

Zaccheus
17th Apr 2003, 20:37
It would only be an approximation, but it might be good enough for a game.

Besides, if someone asked me:
"How can they tell if an AI can see Garrett?"

I would have said:
"Draw a line from the AI to Garrett, and if the line does not hit a surface before it reaches Garrett, you are visible."

The actual algorithm they use will be more complex, but the principle is quite simple.

The same is true for the silhouette.

Secrets Of Nosgoth
10th May 2003, 06:26
drraaaahhh.....my head hurts just thinking about programming a computer game let alone lighting physics in games. *pops some asprin*

ChangelingJane
10th May 2003, 22:40
Originally posted by Specter
Do I smell a bet coming on? :p

That depends on how willing you are to lose some money ^_^

Specter
11th May 2003, 18:42
Well isnt that cocky of you! Hmm, its tempting, I do like my bets. (I bet with a friend 250$ during the last election, he thought Gore would win, then that same friend bet with me during the World Cup, I bet against Portugal when they played the US) On the hand, I dont know anything about programming......

ChowYunFat
11th May 2003, 22:41
Thief already does something kind of like this doesn't it? I thought Garret was less visible the closer he is to a wall. This isn't exactly the same thing as being silhouetted, but it might be the best we can hope for in this regard.