PDA

View Full Version : DromEd limits

BlackThief
11th Apr 2003, 14:13
Hi, Christine told me to meet this Forum, because of my problem
with the limits in DromEd. (äh, sorry my english isn't the best)
I have made a level in DromEd 1 and i was nearly ready, but then there was this stupid error: clip alloc: scene complexity too
high. Do anyone know what the limits in DromEd are ? I mean
how far you're able too see.

Apache
11th Apr 2003, 23:09
Well the error you got is a simple one to fix..just go and delete and complex structures you have made..
IE..LOTS of brushes all intersecting at one location..You could also try to Optimize the level that might clear up the error..but it won't fix it..if you Portilize it will most likely come back.

Also try this command
hilight_check_snap 1
This will show all the brushes that aren't grid snapped and may be causing the error
hilight_do_snap 1
This will correct all those brushes
hilight_clear
This will unhilight the brushes so it doesn't look all funky..
As for distance you can see..this will vary depending on the location..
Empty hall 8X8X200...it won't crash Polys Rendered..65
Now if you increased that to
32X32X200...Polys Rendered..224
This is with 1 liteshroom placed at the end of the hall..

You want to try and stay below 500 but I have gotten away with some 700-800 spots..with todays PC ..they usually won't slow down. If you hit the magic number of 1024..It will go BOOM.

A tip to help..Increase the texture size of any area you know Garrett can't get to..to Max of 18..Increase the Sky texture to 24
the ground texture to 17..
I'll repeat this test with increased texture sizes..
32X32X200...Polys Rendered..59
This is with the sky at 24 and the rest at 17
This is also still just portilized..Once you optimize it will go down some more...
Hope this helped

amievil?
12th Apr 2003, 00:23
the docs say shoot for below 250 in polys but i think 700-800 is ok even on my 350mhz computer :)

im managing to play through calendras legacy on my computer and it isnt that choppy. i was surprised at how optimal it and the 7th crystal(two fms with great scenery that reeks of high polys) are compared to some other maps.

Apache
12th Apr 2003, 00:39
Originally posted by amievil?
the docs say shoot for below 250 in polys but i think 700-800 is ok even on my 350mhz computer :)

im managing to play through calendras legacy on my computer and it isnt that choppy. i was surprised at how optimal it and the 7th crystal(two fms with great scenery that reeks of high polys) are compared to some other maps.

That doc was written back when T-DP first came out..Not everyone had fast PCs..500 polys is actually very reasonable..Not to many of the OMs can claim to have stayed below 250..

amievil?
12th Apr 2003, 00:45
*cough* soulfart *cough* :D

Apache
12th Apr 2003, 01:47
Originally posted by amievil?
*cough* soulfart *cough* :D
Yes that OM does a good job of staying below the 250 mark..but if you recall that level sux..no decor..all grey stone and steel..nothing real fancy about it..But if you open the level in DromEd..The starting point and the direction you are looking rings in at 324....then as I wandered thru the map..I started hitting low to mid 400s in other areas..
So you see..Not even LGS can make a whole map stay under 250.
:p :D

amievil?
12th Apr 2003, 04:41
heh, i meant soul forge as a high poly example not the low poly example. i think that probably the most optimal official level was maybe baffords or craigscleft.

i only had probs with soul fart and shipping in the poly area. 324 at the start??! to me when i played it seemed like 1000 :D

usually when im playing a high poly mission i tend to look at the ground as much as i can, while taking peeks at the great architechture i only wish i could play smoothly :p but soon ill have me new computer :)

BlackThief
12th Apr 2003, 11:39
thank you ! I think I'm able to go on now.
but one thing I don't understand: what do you mean with the
texture size ? my english isn't the best ! how can you change the textue size ? :confused:

ChristineS
12th Apr 2003, 16:08
You can change it with "scale" - 16 is normal, to make it bigger try 17.

TRoosevelt_26
13th Apr 2003, 05:50
If you ever get an error (hey, home fry) when changing texture size, always hit Cancel. It's never a fatal error and I don't really know what it's for. :confused:

BlackThief
13th Apr 2003, 07:52
sorry I still can't find "scale" ! I only know grid size ! :confused:

TRoosevelt_26
13th Apr 2003, 08:37
In any one of the 3D window's 'solid' modes (i.e., 'solid world' or 'solid + selection'), click on a brush. Just to the left of the command window a second texture preview should appear. Below it, and just to the right of the 'Op,' 'Face' and 'Texture' fields, should appear four more fields (underneath the new texture preview): 'U' (Horizontal alignment of the selected texture), 'V' (vertical alignment of the selected texture), 'Scale' (the scale of the selected texture [the normal size is 16]) and 'Rot' (the angle of alignment of the selected texture).

Hint: If you have an angled brush (say, a beam resting at an angle to the ground), clicking AlignNorm will usually align the texture so it is parallel to your angled brush, although sometimes parallel the wrong way.

Also, Reset will reset the texture alignment and size of the texture on the selected brush face.

Hope this helps!

BlackThief
13th Apr 2003, 16:22
oh, yes now I've found it.

I can't believe it ! another error :mad: what's the reason of this error:
SplitPortalPolyhedronByPlane: polyhedron didn't cross plane ? :confused: