PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix: Linux Support

Ziegfried
3rd Apr 2013, 22:38
Hey everyone,

I am a avid Linux user and have been along time customer of SquareEnix. I have played Wakfu and found it enjoyable but I have always found my self wanting to play Final Fantasy XI or XIV or Final Fantasy VII and a personal favourite game The Last Remnant. In Valve's last "Steam Hardware Survey" that after only a month of releasing steam to linux had made up at least 2.5% of steams almost 7+ million users. They project that the numbers will continue to rise once more larger names (aside from Valve, Sega, Double fine and Obsidian Entertainment) like Square Enix port some games or at least 1 game to linux.

I and many other on Linux use Ubuntu as it is easy to use and does set a easy standard for those coming to Linux the first time. There are alot of reasons to bring your PC titles to Linux as it would give your titles new life on a new platform. Say it cost the company to contract someone for 10,000$ to port say The Last Remnant to Linux on steam and you sell it for the 14.99$ it is now on Steam , And say you sell it to the whole 20,000 linux users and you just made 298800$ and that is with the porting service deducted.

Notice how I keep picking The Last Remnant, Recently it came out that a man by the name of Ryan C. Gordon who works with Humble Indie Bundle has ported a number of Unreal Engine 3 titles to Linux. Dungeon Defenders, Red Orchestra and other titles. I really want either FFXI on linux but mostly I want The Last Remnant as it is a amazing game. I never understood why the Xbox version had achievements but the Steam version didn't. So Please SquareEnix bring The Last Remnant and other SquareEnix PC Titles to Linux.

moooka
4th Apr 2013, 05:37
I think many Steam games can work on Linux through Wine.

nasos_333
4th Apr 2013, 11:00
Hey everyone,

I am a avid Linux user and have been along time customer of SquareEnix. I have played Wakfu and found it enjoyable but I have always found my self wanting to play Final Fantasy XI or XIV or Final Fantasy VII and a personal favourite game The Last Remnant. In Valve's last "Steam Hardware Survey" that after only a month of releasing steam to linux had made up at least 2.5% of steams almost 7+ million users. They project that the numbers will continue to rise once more larger names (aside from Valve, Sega, Double fine and Obsidian Entertainment) like Square Enix port some games or at least 1 game to linux.

I and many other on Linux use Ubuntu as it is easy to use and does set a easy standard for those coming to Linux the first time. There are alot of reasons to bring your PC titles to Linux as it would give your titles new life on a new platform. Say it cost the company to contract someone for 10,000$ to port say The Last Remnant to Linux on steam and you sell it for the 14.99$ it is now on Steam , And say you sell it to the whole 20,000 linux users and you just made 298800$ and that is with the porting service deducted.

Notice how I keep picking The Last Remnant, Recently it came out that a man by the name of Ryan C. Gordon who works with Humble Indie Bundle has ported a number of Unreal Engine 3 titles to Linux. Dungeon Defenders, Red Orchestra and other titles. I really want either FFXI on linux but mostly I want The Last Remnant as it is a amazing game. I never understood why the Xbox version had achievements but the Steam version didn't. So Please SquareEnix bring The Last Remnant and other SquareEnix PC Titles to Linux.

I am an avid windows user, but i also have installed Linux on my system, so why not just install windows as well ?

Ziegfried
4th Apr 2013, 21:21
@Chrono Cross I and many other don't feel like adjusting wine for every game they purchase on steam. Having a native linux version brings in more customers. companies who start off with far less have ported their games on Linux and continue to bring more games because it makes sence to make games crossplatform on the PC.

@Nasos I had been a windows user for 14 years but after using linux for the past 4 years I love it and support for games gets better and better. I will never go back to Windows ever again. Is it wrong of me to ask a billion dollar company to spend the chump change to bring at least 1 game to Linux?

nasos_333
5th Apr 2013, 00:42
@Chrono Cross I and many other don't feel like adjusting wine for every game they purchase on steam. Having a native linux version brings in more customers. companies who start off with far less have ported their games on Linux and continue to bring more games because it makes sence to make games crossplatform on the PC.

@Nasos I had been a windows user for 14 years but after using linux for the past 4 years I love it and support for games gets better and better. I will never go back to Windows ever again. Is it wrong of me to ask a billion dollar company to spend the chump change to bring at least 1 game to Linux?

I like Linux too, but i dont see how a PC gamer could base gaming on Linux, it is just not possible as things are right now

Ziegfried
5th Apr 2013, 20:33
I like Linux too, but i dont see how a PC gamer could base gaming on Linux, it is just not possible as things are right now

I didn't understand what you said. Squareenix has a Linux team that is working with the Wakfu team. They can easily port and reach out to a new market. If the Linux gaming market it wasn't worth selling to valve wouldn't have ported Steam or all of its source games. Unity 4 engine was also brought to Linux because of how much support it has beginning to get from Intel, AMD and Nvidia . The market is there and growing and I want Square Enix to take advantage of the opportunity. Plus what Linux gamer wouldn't want to play a Final Fantasy title on Linux.

nasos_333
6th Apr 2013, 21:53

I didn't understand what you said. Squareenix has a Linux team that is working with the Wakfu team. They can easily port and reach out to a new market. If the Linux gaming market it wasn't worth selling to valve wouldn't have ported Steam or all of its source games. Unity 4 engine was also brought to Linux because of how much support it has beginning to get from Intel, AMD and Nvidia . The market is there and growing and I want Square Enix to take advantage of the opportunity. Plus what Linux gamer wouldn't want to play a Final Fantasy title on Linux.

What i said is simple

If you like playing games on PC, why not install windows that by default play all games and limit yourself with Linux ?

Ziegfried
6th Apr 2013, 22:53

What i said is simple

If you like playing games on PC, why not install windows that by default play all games and limit yourself with Linux ?

That is simple to answer. I don't want to spend 200$ on a OS claimed to be secure and wasn't, I would much rather spend money on games. Linux is worth porting too.