PDA

View Full Version : Would any of you be nice enough to help me?

Hair Raiser
2nd Apr 2003, 00:08
Hello. How are you doing. I have some problems with the game that I bought, Final Fantasy 7. However, please understand that I've only obtained my computer two days ago and I've just learned how to get online. I think the Internet is really great! I like it. Final Fantasy 7 is the only game I have now, and I'm very eager to start playing this great game. I have to admit, the manual is rather incomplete, so I decided to head to Eidos Interactive website. My friends say that the forum is where most of the excitement of the Internet is, so I looked for a forum. I finally found this place after half an hour.
Now. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about computers. What I've got when I purchased FF7 had been a box, with a manual and a case with 4 shiny things in it. I have no idea how to start enjoying this game. Can someone here give me an idea?

Thank you.

Dell
2nd Apr 2003, 00:47
Welcome, Hairaiser....well, you served up a grand plate of stuff didn't you?

If they are four shiny round things, they should have numbers on them...1, 2, 3, and 4.

Do they? And do you seem to have a sort of cardboard thing with cut outs on it?

If so, I do believe that things sorta fits over the right hand keyboard, the small one with the numbers on it

You use that keyboard to play the game, I think.

Anyone else around to help out?

You will need to keep in touch frequently here and tell us what you are doing.

vakusuma
2nd Apr 2003, 04:58
... geeez. Things are SO much more fun when there are actually PEOPLE in the forum :(

Anyway, here's the complete Hair Raiser saga that I pulled off almost two years ago. The comments were made a day after the prank.

On June 15th 2001, a bored vakusuma decided to have a little fun with the forum. He launched two browser windows, logged in as himself on the first and registered and logged in as a 38 years old man named Hair Raiser on the other. The joke lasted for a full 24 hours.

Here is the story...

"Would any of you be nice enough to help me?"

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 08:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello. How are you doing. I have some problems with the game that I bought, Final Fantasy 7. However, please understand that I've only obtained my computer two days ago and I've just learned how to get online. I think the Internet is really great! I like it. Final Fantasy 7 is the only game I have now, and I'm very eager to start playing this great game. I have to admit, the manual is rather incomplete, so I decided to head to Eidos Interactive website. My friends say that the forum is where most of the excitement of the Internet is, so I looked for a forum. I finally found this place after half an hour.
Now. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about computers. What I've got when I purchased FF7 had been a box, with a manual and a case with 4 shiny things in it. I have no idea how to start enjoying this game. Can someone here give me an idea?

Thank you.

------------------
How are you doing?

IP: Logged

(vak says: A straightforward introduction. And no matter what you may think, you don't have to know about CD-ROM to be able to surf the net. You just have to know how to use the mouse. I'm trying to give off the aura of incompetence here - half an hour to find the forum. And he couldn't identify the CDs.)

vakusuma
posted 06-15-2001 08:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey. Welcome to the forum.
Anyway, to start playing FF7 you have to install it first. I think the manual said about how you insert the CD into the CPU. After that it's all very intuitive.

Luck.

------------------
There is only one side to every argument: my side. Your argument is irrelevant. You are irrelevant. (And resistance is futile; you will be assimilated)
------------------
Visit the page for collaborative fiction of the fine and intelligent forum members: http://www.geocities.com/vakusuma/FF7/

And now, for a little banner, courtesy of Piccolo_Daimosama:

(vak says: A diversion to direct suspicion of the identity of Hair Raiser from me. I tried to post as normal as possible. As you shall see, it was very successful.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 08:53 PM
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, sir! I've been browsing the other topics and found them very interesting when I notice that you've posted an advice to my question.
Now I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about. How do you install the game? What is a CD and where can I buy one? And what is a CPU?

Thank you.

(vak says: Eek. He doesn't know what a CD is.)

vakusuma
posted 06-15-2001 08:58 PM
Well, your CD should be inside your box. You have to put it inside your computer to be able to play the game. Install means putting the game into the computer.

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 09:12 PM
I only have the manual and the shiny things inside the box, nothing else. Ah, you wouldn't happen to refer to the shiny things, would you? Thank you. Now I remember that you also call the shiny things I play on my stereo "CD" as well. I would never have dreamt that they refer to the same thing. Forgive me for my ignorance.
Well, I'm trying to find a place to put this CD. There are four of them and they're labeled Disk 1, 2, 3, 4. I assume that I would need to put Disk 1 into my computer. Now I do not find anywhere where I could fit this CD? There's nothing below the screen but this large wheel and a button.

And again, thank you for your helpful comments.

(vak says: Ooops. My first mistake. I just realize that CDs are so mainstream right now that people can't help but realizing what it is. It is too late to go back, so let's continue like nothing happens. I do want to make a joke out of it.
Now Hair Raiser doesn't even realize that his real computer is not just the monitor. Maybe he should've got the iMac.)

Moggraider
posted 06-15-2001 09:14 PM
The CD drive would be in the tower component of your computer.

(vak says: Mogg is a co-conspirator. I told him to feel free to join in as long as he doesn't spoil the fun. He didn't. Good ol' Mogg.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 09:25 PM
Ah, sir, the tower? You mean the blue noisy transformer beside my screen? I still don't see how I could get it in there, though. There's only a couple buttons there, and I must admit that I'm afraid to touch it. My friend only advised me to touch one button at the center to turn the computer on and off.
Does the CD go into the computer the same way it goes into my stereo? I'm sorry, but I can't see anything resembling my stereo around me, except for the stereo itself, that is.

I also have a maybe related question. I tried putting the CD into my stereo, and it seems to me that the CD is empty! Is something wrong with my CD?

(vak says: A typical newbie would not want to touch anything other than the power button despite it being the second most harmful button on the tower aside from the Reset button, so I guess this is justifiable. I want Hair Raiser to have an HP Pavilion computer, and the DVD-ROM drive on the HP IS rather invisible, actually, hidden above the tray.
Another common newbie mistake: They'd assume that their stereo can read their game CD and gave me a lot of headache.)

Arkron
posted 06-15-2001 10:00 PM
Hmmm, well this isn't going to work out really. You should ask this friend of yours to come over first and let him explain you what those buttons are all about. He can probably install FF7 for you too then
Arkron

------------------

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

(vak says: Yes, you are right, Arkron. But people are known to get violent when you say that.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 10:05 PM
My friend just went away on vacation, and I'm afraid my wife do not know better. Really, I'm very eager to start playing the game. I've seen my friend's son playing it in his Playstation, and I think I like it myself very much. I have to admit, it looks complicated, but I think I'll be able to manage it. I'll just have to get it to run in my Microsoft computer.
I'm really worried about the CD now, though. All four CDs seem empty when I tried to play it. I'm sure Eidos do not intend to send me empty CDs.

------------------
How are you doing?

(vak says: Microsoft computer. Ha ha. You'll be surprised how often this comes up in real life.)

Gohan
posted 06-15-2001 10:09 PM
Hi and Welcome. It's a little hard to explain this through a forum, but we'll do our best so you can play FF7 as soon as possible!. If you have too many problems, try asking your friends personally.
Anyway, there's nothing wrong with your Compact Disc (CD). The FF7 CD is meant to be played on a CD-ROM, which is different from the CD's of your stero, let's call them "Music CD's". FF7 is a "Game CD" (or CD-ROM) and not a Music CD.
If you don't understand, don't worry, the cd is perfect.
Anyway, the CPU is the box or tower where you find the button to turn on your PC. The CD drive in the CPU is different than the stereo one. The CD drive in the CPU, is opened by clicking on a button, that when pressed, opens the drive towards you. It's kinda difficult to explain... BTW, the CD drives generally have some numbers like "32X" or "56X" written on them...
Anyway, when you find it, just insert the FF7 disc labeled "Install Disc", and then just follow the instructions...

------------------
Play to win
Not scared to lose
Walk the path you choose.

MSN: frepena@hotmail.com
E-mail: frepena@cantv.net

(vak says: Very good instructions, Gohan. Nowadays, though, you find a lot of CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives instead of plain CD-ROM, so the 32x might not help much. And Hair Raiser had made it clear that his is Platinum edition.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 10:17 PM
Ah. Thank you very much, sir. I find the explanation very understandable. Much gratitude. So I guess I can rest assured that the CD is not defective, right? That is much of a relief.
I always thought the fancy blue box as a transformer. But in any case, there are quite a lot of buttons here that I'm not sure which one to press. There is the power button, of course. There is a hole at the center and a button next to it, but try as hard as I could, I cannot get the CD into the hole. On the top there is another button. I'm willing to try everything, but I'm afraid I'm rather nervous. I'm not too reassured to hear this box whirring as I'm afraid that one false move on my part will cause it to explode on my face.

And I don't have anything labeled Install Disc.

Thank you.

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 10:23 PM
Ah, I think I got it. I pressed this button right on top of this cover and a tray comes out. It's just like my stereo, but it is so well hidden. Incredible.
Anyway, I've put disk 1 on the tray and closed the tray. Now how would I play this game?

Thank you.

(vak says: My original joke: Trying to cram the CD into a 3 1/2" floppy drive. I guess I overdid it at that point... but it's a good joke, that. And I think I'm done driving the others insane with the CDROM stuff and I'm ready to move on the next step, so I make Hair Raiser figure out how to open up a CDROM drive.)

Night Stalker
posted 06-15-2001 10:36 PM
Gohan explained it quite well. But something with a new computer a DVD-ROM player is build into it. A DVD-ROM player can do all the thing a CD-ROM player can, but eith extra's like player a DVD-movie. Most of the time a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM player is bluid into the top slot of the computer and on some CD/DVD-ROM players there is and eject symbol near the button you need to press.
All CD/DVD-ROM players can play music-CD's when you insert them into the player.

Also some computers have an extra button located near the power-button, this is called a reset button and restarts your computer without having to turn the power of. I advice you to not press this button unless you have to (when the computer stops reacting).

Final Fantasy 7 disc 4 is the install disc. And discs 1,2 and 3 are the play discs. As logic would imply after installing the game insert disc 1 to play.

To install to the follow the instructions in the manual. To start playing (after installing) insert disc 1 then press the Windows Start button (I think that by now you know how to operate the mouse) then goto programs when you are there find FINAL FANTASY VII and in this menu press FF config to set up the game (refer to the manual or post a question here). This has to be done only one time.

To really start playing press the start button again find the FINAL FANTASY VII menu item again and click Final Fantasy VII and the game should start.

For any more question just post them here and we'll gladly help you.

Greetings from Nightstalker.

By the way (BTW), you don't need to call us sir or madam, most of us are probably your age .

stalker_n@hotmail.com

------------------
Live is full of surprices. But they have to tendency to appear at the wrong time in the wrong place.

-----

For the multi-author story number two look here http://www.geocities.com/stalker_n

[This message has been edited by Night Stalker (edited 06-15-2001).]

(vak says: Again, a very good tech response from Nightstalker. But you underestimated the stupidity of a user.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 10:47 PM
Ah, sir. If I may know, what is your age?
I'm not sure about the concept of this DVD-ROM. I don't see what is the difference. But I guess as long as it may read my Final Fantasy 7 CD, I would be fine, now wouldn't I?

I've tried inserting all CDs but I could not get them to work. I read in the manual that something should pop up on the screen, but so far I'm not getting it.

And nice to meet you too, sir. Thank you.

(vak says: By this time I'm done driving you mad with the "sir", but I let it be. Originally I wanted Hair Raiser to insert all the CDs the wrong side up.)

Moggraider
posted 06-15-2001 10:52 PM
*shakes head*

(vak says: Damn you. Probably this is the one that makes the others suspicious.)

Night Stalker
posted 06-15-2001 10:57 PM
I'm 20 years old, how about you???
Okay here goes,

Insert disc 4 and wait a couple of seconds (about 5) if nothing happens, open (double click on an icon) my computer. A windows should pop up with some icons in it. There sould a an (C:) and a (D:) (if your computer is standard that is, but I assume it is). If you double click the (D:) icon the Final Fantasy VII installer should appear.

Nightstalker.

------------------
Live is full of surprices. But they have to tendency to appear at the wrong time in the wrong place.

-----

For the multi-author story number two look here http://www.geocities.com/stalker_n

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 11:03 PM
Well, sir, I'm 38 years old. But I do realize that a lot of younger people nowadays are probably a lot better at computers than I will ever be.
Alright. I've double clicked on My Computer. Up pops window with several icons. There's the icon Compact Disc (D which is what I assume you're talking about. But when I double clicked on it, it says, "Please insert a disk on drive D:..." and an option to cancel. I really hope the CD is not empty.

Thank you, sir.

Hair Raiser
posted 06-15-2001 11:09 PM
Ah, I'm sorry. I guess in the fit of absent-mindedness I took the CD out to look at it and forgot to put it back. I must be getting old, even though I'm still several years away from my forties. But anyway, I inserted Disk 1 and a nice screen pops up. Your help is much appreciated, though.
I'm tired now so I think I'll do it tomorrow. Thank you very much, everyone, for your help. I've learnt a lot today and it is time for me to go to sleep. Good night.

(vak says: My little white-faced lie. Incidentally 38 years old is twice my age.
This is my second blooper, and a major one too. I just remembered that Hair Raiser could play music CD, so he should be able to insert the CD the right side up. I tried as best as I could to cover it, but the damage's been done. Dammit. Another minor blooper: I remembered too late that HP Pavilions has two CDROM Drive: DVD-ROM for D: and CD-RW for E:. Eeek. I just hope no one notices.
It was 2:09 AM at my time, and I quit for the day.)

Night Stalker
posted 06-15-2001 11:10 PM
Is disc 4 in the CD player???
Maybe you got more than one CD-ROM player. Is there and E drive as well???

I would say that your are about the oldest people if met on this forum but I have heard older people play Final Fantasy VII.

But seriously 38 ain't THAT old.

Nightstalker.

------------------

I just got up . I live in the Netherlands and here it is abou 8:15 in the morning now.

-----

(vak says: Sorry, Nightstalker. Disk 4 has never anything to do with Platinum Edition unless you're near the end.)

Dell
posted 06-16-2001 01:26 AM
Welcome to the forum, Hairaiser!
You are a very lucky person, indeed, to have Nightstalker talk you through this learning experience! He is the very one who did the same thing for me way back in the beginning of my Final Fantasy VII days...and he is very patient and good at explaining complex things simply enough for a beginner to understand.

I do have a question for you, though, because you seem to not have an instruction manual for your computer. Have you one? If so, there should be diagrams and explanations of the "tower", the "monitor", the "mouse", and how to open and close the various "disk" receptacles.

Again, the game CD's, or "Compact Disks", must be handled in the same way and with the same care that you handle and use your music CD's. They can be scratched and made unusable very easily, so handle them carefully.

Look at them. They have writing on them, and the one will say Install, and the others are numbered. You also have a small instruction booklet to read to...read it, and it might help a little.

Just hang in there, learn a little more about using your computer, and we will help all we can.

(vak says: Dell says check. Of course there should be some basic explanations. But being not an HP owner, I don't realize that. Oops.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-16-2001 06:54 AM
Ah, thank you very much for the help. Well, as I have said the night before, it took me some time to determine how to insert the CD into the computer. Apparently for the first couple of times I inserted it the wrong side up until I remembered that it was just like loading music CD, and that was when Nighstalker suggested me to check the icons.
Now that I have the game inside the computer, I could follow the instructions given in the manual. I do have a concern, though. I decided to do a "Full Install" because it says that my game will run faster. Now as suggested before by Nighstalker, I have looked for the icon to start this game, and when I select the Final Fantasy VII icon it says that I have no disks or a wrong disk. I am pretty sure I already have a disk inside my computer, though. And for that reason, I have made doubly sure that I inserted the fancy side up as well. Do you have any thoughts regarding this matter?

Thank you.

(vak says: This is the continuation of my cover-up attempt. I must add that this is not very good, but hey, I just woke up 10 minutes before.
I've decided to bring up another common symptom: Platinum Edition numbered the disks wrongly and disk 2 is supposed to go inside as Disk 1. Let's see how many realizes this.)

Dell
posted 06-16-2001 08:41 AM
You must remove the Install disk and insert the next numbered disk, label side up as you did with the install disk. Now that you have installed the game, you can put the Install disk away and move on to the next disks.
From now on, you will play a disk from beginning to end. Then you will be prompted, as you just were, to remove that disk, and insert the next one in the sequence. That is why there are more than one. The game, itself, is three disks long from the beginning of the story to the end of it, and you must play them in numerical order.

I would really strongly suggest that you go to the trouble and expense of purchasing the Final Fantasy VII Official Strategy Guide published by Brady Games Strategy Games. It will prove of great assistance as you play through the game.

If you do not find sufficient answers in it, please do ask here at the Eidos Final Fantasy VII Forum and someone will be glad to help you.

If all else fails, there are various sites out there in network land where you can obtain something called a Walkthough, which will guide you step by step through the game. However, to increase the challenge and fun of play, I would suggest you only use a walkthrough as a last resort.

Lots of luck and good playing!

(vak says: Nice one Dell, apparently that didn't go through your head. But suggesting a Walkthrough to a beginner? *shakes head*)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-16-2001 09:07 AM
Thank you for the advice, Dell. By the way, is it just too presumptous of me to assume that you're a lady?
I've inserted disk 2, and tried it again. It worked briefly: I can see the game starting, it was very good. But near the beginning, suddenly everything went black and I could not continue! I had to turn my computer off.

What have I done wrong?

And I will try to get my hands on a Walkthrough. Thank you.

(vak says: I'm trying to give some realistic touches to Hair Raiser.
Now for the fun part. Ever tried instructing a newbie how to install a patch? Well, I'm gonna force you to! =) )

Arkron
posted 06-16-2001 10:16 AM
Plz, no walkthroughs! They spoil the game
Arkron

------------------

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Stiletto
posted 06-16-2001 10:33 AM
Erm, me thinks you've all been had.
------------------

Dinnae crack aye aboots!!!

(vak says: Dammit. If anyone voiced their support of Stiletto, the game would've been ended right then. Nice job, Stiletto. You've caught my mistakes. And perhaps I overdid it as well.)

Dell
posted 06-16-2001 10:45 AM
Anyone here that can get him into the reactor? Just far enough for him to join Barret and the gang? If I remember correctly, I had that blackout problem right there between the beginning and getting down to where you meet Barret and gang outside the Mako reactor.If you have something saved that will just get him inside, it might clear up the problem...unless we need a tech here???
Someone? Anyone?

And be patient at bit, Hair Raiser. None of us are around here 24 hours a day. Oh, and I am a female type person, one of just a few here on this forum as regular members.

And Stiletto, better to have failed on the side of helpfulness than to have accidentally turned a sincere person away without trying to help, don't you think? Potential gamers are valuable assets, and it never hurts to try.

(vak says: Dell, he couldn't even start the game...
And Dell, I agreed with you. About that part with Stiletto, I mean.)

Moggraider
posted 06-16-2001 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dell:
Someone? Anyone?

"WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING???"

------------------

"The best place to hide your evil is under a halo." -Moggraider

Download "Fuzzy" by the Incredible Moses Leroy here!!!

I am the everything, the all-knowing, the omnipotent one. I watch the field, I do not feel, I circumnavigate everyone. I am the scarecrow, alone and disconnected. You stare right past me, undetected; I am only here when you expect it.

SlashBlade13
posted 06-16-2001 01:00 PM
Get a players guide?
------------------
I will slay any evil in my way

Sabin
posted 06-16-2001 01:27 PM
Welcome Hair Raiser!
You said that at the beginning of the game the screen goes black. Did that happen before or after the intro movie? Were you able to play a part (walking around with the character in the game)?

(vak says: Dammit, Sabin, You don't know how much your offhand remark caught me off balance. You see, I never owned a TNT before (I have a GeForce 2 now but I've not tried FF7 on it) so I don't know for sure. Check.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-16-2001 07:50 PM
Ah, yes, I'm really amazed by the endless number of nice people in this forum. Thank you, thank you all for responding to me!
Now, I'm not very sure what is the intro movie you're talking about. When I started the game, a screen with all the configurations popped up. I really don't have a clue what to do with it, so I just decided to close it. Then the game starts. I saw a really nice animation of the Eidos logo and then I was confronted by the options: New Game and Continue. At first, I tried to move the arrow around, but to my surprise the arrow does not move! I believe I don't have to tell you what I said to myself as I tried hard to make the arrow move. Eventually I reread the manual and discovered that I have to press some arrow keys on the typewriter to make it to work, as well as pressing the Enter button to start the game. I did so. Now the screen went black and it stays black, and I heard this awful sound from the speaker. It gave me quite a headache, I assure you. I tried to press the button on the box, but I couldn't turn the computer off.

I'm afraid I did something a little inappropriate next. I simply yanked the power cord out of the wall in my desperation. The burn mark that one of the spark left on my hand does not look very pretty, I'm afraid. But at least I've got my computer off. When I turned the computer back on I was faced by a screen saying "Improper shutdown detected" or something, and I had to wait for some time before it will go away.

I'm afraid I'm a little nervous about reopening FF7 now. But if you could work out a solution to my problem with me, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you, all.

(vak says: The first time I played FF7 I tried to move that darned arrow with my mouse too. So I guess it's first-hand experience.
Time to take a wild, wild guess about the crash.
Newbies often could not turn off their computers when it hangs, so some of them resorted to unplugging the power cord with their computers still running. Ouch.
I gave away a subtle hint that Hair Raiser, like myself, is running Windows ME.)

vakusuma
posted 06-16-2001 07:52 PM
Hi,
you really shouldn't do that, you know. Yanking the power cord out can potentially damage your computer and your operating system. By the way, I'm curious: how did you turn off the computer anyway?
Hmm, seems to me that you have some incompatible graphics card. What graphics card do you have, if you know?

[This message has been edited by vakusuma (edited 06-16-2001).]

(vak says: Time to continue the charade. I think to fuel this conversation I had to state the obvious: incompatible graphics card.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-16-2001 07:59 PM
Ah, sir, I happen to know about the Shut down button that appeared when I choose the start button. My friend had showed it to me, and I was impressed to see my computer turning itself off without me pushing the button. I've only turned my computer off several times, and not one time I am forced to yank the power cord out of the wall.
Graphics card? I don't think I have such card that comes with my computer, sir, except if you're referring to the warranty and registration cards. Could you tell me how the card might have something to do with my problems?

Thank you, as always, for your advice.

(vak says: A surprising number of newbies know about Shut Down, so no surprise that Hair Raiser knows.
I decided to make a little joke about the graphics card since they come pre-installed inside their "box". People do ask whether I'm referring to their warranty card. Oooh.)

vakusuma
posted 06-16-2001 08:07 PM
Well, that's a relief :D
Anyway, the graphics card is not a card you'll find in the packaging. It should be within your computer, the one where you put the CD in. What kind of computer do you have? I mean, who make your computer? Is there anywhere you can see your system specs?

I suspect that you might be running a TNT or GeForce. But I want to make sure, if possible. Those cards don't work well with FF7, and the installation of the patch might be required. Personally I've not installed the patch (though I might in the near future) so I don't know too much about it.

Threesixty? Tiadaghton Dude? Anyone?

(vak says: HP Pavilion comes with the system specs already pasted on the front of the case, so this is not an unreasonable thing to ask. To direct the others to the TNT/GeForce I had to be rather direct.)

Gohan
posted 06-16-2001 08:59 PM
Hi:
I think the black screen he got with the awful sounds was just the intro movie, nothing wrong with his pc . Remember that the intro shows the dark sky with the stars and then the camera rolls to Aeris? He got nervous and tought that something was wrong.
Hair Raiser, nothing was wrong. That was the intro to the game, something like the Eidos one, only that this one begins with a black screen for a few seconds... try again, but this time don't be so desperated and wait a little longer!
I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

[This message has been edited by Gohan (edited 06-16-2001).]

(vak says: Beep. Wrong answer. Thank you for playing.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-16-2001 09:12 PM
No, sir, in fact I'm pretty sure I have waited for a good while before yanking out the power cord. I think I waited for 4 minutes. The awful sound I just described was very repetitive, and I don't think that it is the music for the intro movie. As I have said before, I've watched my friend's son playing this game and I'm highly impressed with the quality of the music. Whoever came up with the music must be a genius of the highest caliber.
I think my computer is a Hewlett-Packard. However, I distinctly remember seeing Microsoft on the opening screen, so I think Microsoft might have something to do with my machine as well.
There are some writings on the box, actually, that I've not given too much attention to. But I believe I've found this line somewhere on the list pasted on the cover of the box:
nVidia TNT2 Pro 3D AGP graphics card
Please tell me whether this is the information that you're looking for.

Thank you.

(vak says: Finally Hair Raiser found the specs in front of his machine. OK, so now we've established that he has a TNT2. Another common mistake: a Microsoft computer.)

Threesixty
posted 06-16-2001 09:23 PM
Geez......
Can't tell if this is real or not. And stop with the 'sir' stuff, please.....(it's annoying)

First let me say you are trying to run one of the most stubborn games ever made to run on your computer. FF7PC was designed around old technology, and hates the newer stuff. (heh...doesn't like the older stuff either) I imagine you just bought your PC (personal computer) and probably got one of the newer ones. Before I can tell you how to get FF7PC to run on your PC. I need to know what you have....

I'll tell you straight off that FF7PC will not run on Windows 2000. Anyway Do this for me and post it here....(man this is going to be hard.....for you, and for me in explaining)

OK....

In your Start button there is a selection called, "Run..." Open that, and type 'Dxdiag' in it.

A program will come up, it will take a few seconds to read your machine. On the bottom you'll see a button called, 'Save all information'. Click it.... (now being you know nothing about computers, this is going to be the hard part.) At this point your telling your computer where to put the file.

OK so look on the very top, you should see something that says 'My documents' or maybe it will say something else. That is the directory this file is going to save itself in. Also take note that the file is going to be named 'Dxdiag.txt'. Push the save button.(This is going to be hard because most people learn about computer directories, and the program 'Explorer', before doing anything with a computer.)

After saving you can exit that progam or play with it.... Next I want you to 'right click' the Start Button. A little popup window comes up. Select 'Find'. go to the third thingy called, 'Look in'. Select the C drive. Just look for a line that has (C and select that one. Then type dxdiag.txt on the first thingy called, 'Named'. Hopefully Dxdiag.txt is list on the bottom, now.

Double click that Dxdiag.txt that's on the bottom and hopefully it will open. (If it doesn't come back) What you do next is highlight everything. Easiest way to do this is to right click anywhere, where the text is. A pop up menu will appear and select, 'Select All'. Right click again and select 'Copy'.

then come back here. Reply and in your text window, where all these words get typed....Right click your mouse again and select, 'Paste'.

It's going to be huge....but do it anyway. Hit 'Submit Reply'.....

(you better be for real.....)

Things you can try:
Go to Start...go to Programs.....look for Final Fantasy 7. Click FF7 Configuration. Click the 'Graphics' tab (it's on the top).

Display: will be 'Primary Display Driver'. (will probably will be your only choice)
Renderer: select 'Software Render'.
Display resolution: try the 640x480 quarter screen. If it works then try full screen. (your not going to like quarter screen)

Sound tab
Select whatever you can there...(should have only one option) Hit test button.

Midi tab
Select the first one on the list and General MIDI for the second. and hit the test button...if no music try a different combo, until you hear music.

Next time your computer locks up....do this:

Push 'Esc'
Push 'Ctrl' and 'F4' together. (you don't have to do it at the same time...push Ctrl and then F4....Push F4 while Ctrl is being held down)
Push 'Ctrl' 'Esc' (Ctrl-Esc).
Lastly,
Push Ctrl-Alt-Delete' (hold down Ctrl and Alt and push your delete key)

A window will pop up. You can highlight the program that's not responding and hit the end task button (never, ever, 'end task' the program called, 'Explorer'. you'll lock up your machine if you do.)...or you can just push the ShutDown button and wait for about a minute. If the computer still hangs. Push your power button for about 10 seconds. Some computers make you hold down the power button for about 5 seconds before it shuts down. There should be a button called Reset, you can push that instead of the powerbutton to reboot your machine. Turning off your machine with the powerbutton or hitting the reset button should be your last options, and should be avoided whenever possible. Unplugging your machine is you very, very, very, last option....better not to do it.....

(vak says: Checkmate. As always, Threesixty has compiled a very, VERY detailed and idiot-proof method to diagnose the problem despite the graphics card. Having established the fact that Hair Raiser is competent enough to use his mouse, browse the net and find the program file of FF7, not being able to interpret those steps would've been very unrealistic. I couldn't fake the data because I don't know JUST how good Threesixty is... one mistake and I'll be a laughing stock. I decided to just call it quits. Very, very nice job Threesixty. And sorry =) )

Threesixty
posted 06-16-2001 09:26 PM
Man...that took way too long to write. Then you find on the box you have a TNT....LOL (Laugh out Loud)
Okay...you just need to install the patch. What's a patch?......(I'm going to post this now and edit the post so you will know I'm writing this this very second...)

A patch is a program fix that gaming companies release after they gave their games to stores to solve things like crashes. Just as your getting....

Download the TNT patch here:
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/support/patchinfo.html?ptid=54

The whole selection of the patches for FF7, which you shouldn't need...well except for that one on the bottom, that I made a direct link too above.: http://www.eidosinteractive.com/support/search.html?gmid=44

The direction you need should be included in that download.....but if you get lost....just post it and I'll explain or someone else will.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited 06-16-2001).]

(vak says: Talk about adding insult to the injury.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-16-2001 09:39 PM
Drat you, Three...
You make it so damn clear that I couldn't have mistaken it. If I put up my system spec, you'll see that I have a GeForce2 anyway.

Anyway, yes, I'm fake. I'm bored, you see, so I decided to have a little fun as an exceedingly polite computer-phobiac with the fondness of turning off the computer by pulling off the power cord. I'm trying to be as witty and annoying as possible at the same time. Sorry to make you type all that, Three, but save that and keep it just in case another compuphobiac newbie comes in

You guys better get a good laugh at this.
*shakes head*

Well, Stiletto, congrats. You're the first one to discover something's wrong. May I know what caused you to be suspicious?

Anyway, it is time to raise the white flag. I've had my fun, and so's Mogg (he's my co-conspirator). Now fire away.

-vakusuma, here to raise your hairs (or probably make you want to tear it apart)
*dons the heavy armor*

------------------
How are you doing?

vakusuma
posted 06-16-2001 09:40 PM
Did a little browser split trick so that I can coerce myself to reveal more info.
Anyways, hope you guys have fun (again, sorry for making you type all that, Three ) It's all in the spirit of good fun. At least originally.

By the way, you guys would make good tech support people. Thanks for your patience (OK, Arkron, I know that you're thinking "What an idiot" but you don't have that much patience, I see )

------------------
There is only one side to every argument: my side. Your argument is irrelevant. You are irrelevant. (And resistance is futile; you will be assimilated)
------------------
Visit the page for collaborative fiction of the fine and intelligent forum members: http://www.geocities.com/vakusuma/FF7/

(vak says: OK, this is my surrender post.)

Gohan
posted 06-16-2001 09:49 PM
Ha! I knew it! (or at least I suspected it). How can someone that doesn't even know to open the disc tray get into a forum and navigate in the internet...? And that 'sir' thing.. hahaha, it was fun (and fake!)
Lol

I had fun too... and it gets funnier now that I read the whole thing again...
"There is a hole at the center and a button next to it, but try as hard as I could, I cannot get the CD into the hole"

hahahahahaha!!

Man, you sure have some free time on your hands, Vak!

------------------
Play to win
Not scared to lose
Walk the path you choose.

MSN: frepena@hotmail.com
E-mail: frepena@cantv.net

[This message has been edited by Gohan (edited 06-16-2001).]

(vak says: Thankoo for playing. Glad you appreciated the joke.)

Threesixty
posted 06-16-2001 09:54 PM
Heh......I'm going to bed....Vak-Raiser

vakusuma
posted 06-16-2001 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gohan:
Ha! I knew it! (or at least I suspected it). How can someone that doesn't even know to open the disc tray get into a forum and navigate in the internet...? And that 'sir' thing.. hahaha, it was fun (and fake!)

Sadly, it does happen. It's too easy to get on the net these days, as long as you can use your mouse and keyboard you're fine, you don't have to care for the rest. That came straight from my tech support experience. Unbelivable, but trust me, it's true.

I figure that for my alternate identity he should be polite, excessively polite, instead of spewing asterisks all over the place and got Mogg into trouble for not banning him.

...as for the cramming of CD into the floppy drive, it's also sad but true...

------------------
------------------

uSernaMe
posted 06-16-2001 11:02 PM
I got it... It's your DirectX!
------------------

God was my co-pilot.... Then we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

A prog I made a little while back -cHtml

(vak says: Yeah, right.)

Moggraider
posted 06-16-2001 11:31 PM
Very nice job, Victor. hehehe. This was great!
I knew Three was going to write a huge essay on it! hahaha! Stupid Three, so helpful ! LOL

(vak says: I couldn't have done it without you too, Mogg. Thanks for the advice.)

Dry Ice CO2
posted 06-16-2001 11:59 PM
First of all, judging by you saying that the CD-ROM Drive said "Compact Disc" when it was empty leads me to believe that you are using Windows 2000. Final Fantasy VII will not work in Windows 2000 at all.
Secondly, here is how to turn off your computer without yanking out the cord. First, try pressing the power button (the button you use to turn on your computer). If that doesn't work, press the power button again, but this time keep holding it for about five seconds. It will do an "emergency power off". This is so people don't accidentally hit the power button when the computer is on, and the power button will only turn off the computer when someone holds it (to make sure the person really does want to turn it off).

Third, welcome to the world of computers. Computers can be a very complex (and sometimes intimidating) thing, but you'll eventually get the hang of it. Go to your local book store and look for a book called "Windows 2000 for Dummies". This is a great book, and will teach you everything you need to know in plain English. Anyone can learn from "for Dummies" books, since they're so easy to understand. Also look around for other beginners books on Windows 2000, and don't be afraid to ask the salesperson if you need help.

Now that you have a computer and the internet, just get some good learning material and you'll be "one of us" in no time .

Don't give up, we're here to help you!

- Dry Ice CO2

[This message has been edited by Dry Ice CO2 (edited 06-17-2001).]

(vak says: Read page two, Dry Ice!!! But in any case, nice tech description.)

Dell
posted 06-17-2001 12:28 AM
Well, guys, hope you had fun. It goes like this...I have had several behind the scenes chats on msn regarding this topic, and the consensus was that it was a real fake...and funny.
After my first post, we (yes, several of us who can speak for themselves), decided to go with it with a very straight face...trying to shove a cd in the floppy slot and putting a cd in upsidedown is sorta difficult to believe of a 38 year old who lists himself as 'retired'. In this day and age, that almost announces a military person who enlisted at the age of 18, and any military person knows a lot better than that!

Anyway, have you ever heard of ME being sooo nice to someone sooo stupid? No way! And I do think my Eidos commercial selling the "Official" game guide and remark about game players being valuable were very excellent straight faced comedy.

Thank you for a game of wits and some real laughs!

(vak says: Really? Have you considered that Hair Raiser might not be American? Are you just trying to save face?)

uSernaMe
posted 06-17-2001 02:10 AM
Actually Windows ME also says Compact Disc, dry ice.
------------------

God was my co-pilot.... Then we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

A prog I made a little while back -cHtml

(vak says: Nice observation.)

vakusuma
posted 06-17-2001 06:13 AM
Guess it's not very well received, then.

You know, Dell, you have no idea how much those words take the fun outta me. Now I feel like a complete blithering idiot instead of a successful impersonator.

[This message has been edited by vakusuma (edited 06-17-2001).]

(vak says: Yes, I was really depressed by the lukewarm response I've got.)

Mouze1
posted 06-17-2001 08:25 AM
Hello Vakusuma;
Please don't be sad , if it helps I honestly thought HairRaiser was someone I could relate to. I'm not very bright in the computer world myself. I enjoyed reading about his problems. Actually it has been quite a learning experience because of the other members and their help. I have learned several things I didn't know before.
So don't worry, be happy

------------------
Living under a rainbow.

(vak says: Thank you for that, Mouze1.)

Moggraider
posted 06-17-2001 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dell:
Well, guys, hope you had fun. It goes like this...I have had several behind the scenes chats on msn regarding this topic, and the consensus was that it was a real fake...and funny.
After my first post, we (yes, several of us who can speak for themselves), decided to go with it with a very straight face...trying to shove a cd in the floppy slot and putting a cd in upsidedown is sorta difficult to believe of a 38 year old who lists himself as 'retired'. In this day and age, that almost announces a military person who enlisted at the age of 18, and any military person knows a lot better than that!

Anyway, have you ever heard of ME being sooo nice to someone sooo stupid? No way! And I do think my Eidos commercial selling the "Official" game guide and remark about game players being valuable were very excellent straight faced comedy.

Thank you for a game of wits and some real laughs!

Sure, Dell, suuuuuuuuuure.

------------------

"The best place to hide your evil is under a halo." -Moggraider

Download "Fuzzy" by the Incredible Moses Leroy here!!!

I am the everything, the all-knowing, the omnipotent one. I watch the field, I do not feel, I circumnavigate everyone. I am the scarecrow, alone and disconnected. You stare right past me, undetected; I am only here when you expect it.

Dell
posted 06-17-2001 09:01 AM
Don't be cruel, now, Moggraider. You were one of those we considered as being the culprit, along with 3car. You see, both of you got sucked in on something I was involved in at one time...you the Black Widow and 3car on the 1/35 soldier thing.
But you, Vakusuma? Never dreamed it was you, so that was very successfully done!!! Don't feel bad, you did pull off hiding your identity very well.

(vak says: It's cold comfort that I've hid my identity very well. I've taken pains to make sure it doesn't relate to me, even throwing in some posts under my name to mislead. But I'd prefer that you all are taken in. Guess I really overdid it. I made Hair Raiser unrealistically stupid.)

Sabin
posted 06-17-2001 09:26 AM
Rofl
I SHOULD have known Hahaa!
Now I truly understand the meaning of the name "Hair Raiser", and I also found it strange that 'this person' could navigate the internet without even knowing where to find the correct buttons

I've laughed out loud about the 'stupidity':
"What is a CD and where can I buy one?"

"There is a hole at the center and a button next to it, but try as hard as I could, I cannot get the CD into the hole"

"I really hope the CD is not empty."

"I inserted it the wrong side up until I remembered that it was just like loading music CD"

"I simply yanked the power cord out of the wall in my desperation. The burn mark that one of the spark left on my hand does not look very pretty, I'm afraid"

"Graphics card? I don't think I have such card that comes with my computer"

Cool!

(vak says: Thank you again. The whole purpose of this Hair Raiser charade is to make you laugh, nothing else.)

Hair Raiser
posted 06-17-2001 09:41 AM
I knew I overdid it, dear sirs and madams.
By the way, AOL had made it pretty easy on me and other clueless users to surf the internet by using my thing that I use to move the arrow around on my screen. Did you notice it?

[This message has been edited by Hair Raiser (edited 06-17-2001).]

Nightstalker
2nd Apr 2003, 21:44
Well, that was one good joke, rereading my posts was really fun. That you saved it...

Nightstalker.

TiadaghtonDude
2nd Apr 2003, 22:08
heh heh. I remember reading "Threesixty? Tiadaghton Dude? Anyone? " and thinking 'TiadaghtonDude ain't touching that!"

(I wasn't sure weather or not it was real, and if it was, there was no way I was gonna try to explain anything.)

Dell
3rd Apr 2003, 18:35
Shucks, Vakusuma! I was gonna play along with you if you wanted to run him again...he was good.

Now, if you can figure out who that guy was you described as

"...so uptight your a s s squeaks when you walk."

Moggraider
4th Apr 2003, 15:03
Oh, come on, Vak. I doubt that headshake of mine raised any suspicions. I was merely shaking my head at your character's stupidity.

I like your new banner, Dell.

Rengar
5th Apr 2003, 00:48
First let me say....I don't visit this forum 1/8th as much as I used to...especially this part of the forum. Seems the only things posted in this part, now, are MA Stories (ewuuuu, that sounds dirty doesn't it.....Multi-Authored....) I go to "Qhimm's Forum" for the chit chat thing. Which, I do very little of, anyway.

I had my suspicions that it was fake (back then)....But damn....there were just too many people responding. And it was already sooo long, that I didn't really bother reading all the responses (or bother analysing them for mistakes)....such as the short one sentence responses, that were nailing it as a fake. And the responses....were just not detailed enough or totally off the mark.

I figured...
if it was a foolish, old goat; a long winded response (that a baby could follow) would be "at the very least" helpful to him; and if it was a fake.....<evil grin>......I had enough backing for the "Guilt" Card to come into play.......LOL.

But there was no way that you, (vak.), were going to fool me twice...my memory may be bad....but it's ain't that bad.

(Those wondering what that last pharagraph is all about....it's in the other half of this FF7forum....heh...I called it this time, no more books......)