PDA

View Full Version : Grrr... movies STILL won't play

raynfala
1st Apr 2003, 16:00
Okay, I just loaded up Thief 2 (v1.18) on my Windows 98 machine, and movies won't play in-game. I've tried a few things from the FAQ to fix the problem, but... no dice.

Since I have a very recent version of the Indeo CODEC (5.11), the CODEC installation program on the second CD doesn't feel it needs to do anything. The CODEC I have now works fine, because the movies will play beautifully from the desktop with Windows Media Player (version 8).

I first installed Thief 2 in a non-default directory, so I tried uninstalling the game and then reinstalling in the default location. That didn't have any effect. And yes, the install.cfg looks just fine.

Okay, so I've tried the obvious stuff. Anybody have any other suggestions? :confused:

--Raynfala

PS: The only "odd" thing about my setup is that I have two DOS drives, C: and D:, and two CD-ROM drives E: and F:. I installed the program to the C: drive, and I have the game CD in the E: drive (the same drive I used for installation). The "Success" and "Failure" clips (which are loaded onto the hard drive) won't even run, so I doubt it's a pathing issue.

Grey Mouser
3rd Apr 2003, 03:17
Very odd. Lemme think about it, but start with a true 'clean' install, meaning first Uninstall Thief 2, then delete any and all Thief 2 directories. Reboot for good measure, do full reinstall (should not matter if it is not the default) while ensuring there are no background apps going...you know the drill, CTRL-ALT-DEL and End Task on everything except Explorer and Systray.

After installing, make sure the game disc is in the drive you installed from, and Start. Opening Movie should play, if not....hmmm....(or does the opening movie play, but not any others?)

Vanguard
3rd Apr 2003, 04:08
Some ideas:

-- Make sure the game's resolution and your Windows desktop's resolution are the same. That is, don't have your Windows desktop at 1024x768x16M and then play the game in 640x480x256. Set the game's resolution the same as your Windows desktop's resolution. The problem is that sometimes users do not go into the Display applet to configure their monitor at every supported resolution and color depth combination, so when something switches to a resolution that they never checked then problems arise, like software bouncing out when it cannot request the resolution change, loss of sync or a black screen when the resolution changes to an unverified resolution, and such.

-- Check that the Windows Media Player (WMP) is the OLE server for .avi files. The game will presume that WMP will act as the server to play the movies in-game. If you installed RealPlayer, WinAmp, or some other multimedia software, it might've stolen the .avi association from WMP. Open WMP and under its options for Format types, make sure .avi is associated with WMP.

-- Although you might have the latest version of the Indeo codec, that doesn't mean you have the older version installed, too. At one time, Ligos (to whom Intel sold the Indeo codecs) allowed a free download of their "package" of audio and video codecs that included old and new versions. They now want to charge for it but the only change is the addition of Windows XP compliant codecs, but if you don't want those you still cannot get the free download of the Windows 9x-ME-2K compliant codecs. I probably have the free download available if you want to try it (don't know how big it is so I don't know how to send it to you yet). Newer versions often try to be backwards compatible but often some functions get deleted (because they get replaced or become defunct with newer standards) or altered so their behavior isn't exactly as expected.

-- You don't mention what behavior is exhibited when the "movies won't play." Does this mean the movie is never seen but you still get to the loadout screen and can play the game itself okay? Or does the game crash back to the Windows desktop (i.e., the game unloads) at the point where a movie would play? I have seen where a defect in audio can effect video playback (because audio was part of it so the audio driver is involved). Updating your audio driver's might help to get video to work. Of course, checking that you're using the latest non-beta video drivers wouldn't hurt, either.

raynfala
3rd Apr 2003, 04:55
Originally posted by Vanguard
Some ideas:

-- Make sure the game's resolution and your Windows desktop's resolution are the same. That is, don't have your Windows desktop at 1024x768x16M and then play the game in 640x480x256. Set the game's resolution the same as your Windows desktop's resolution. The problem is that sometimes users do not go into the Display applet to configure their monitor at every supported resolution and color depth combination, so when something switches to a resolution that they never checked then problems arise, like software bouncing out when it cannot request the resolution change, loss of sync or a black screen when the resolution changes to an unverified resolution, and such.

Good point... I'll switch the desktop to 800x600x16, and see what happens.

-- Check that the Windows Media Player (WMP) is the OLE server for .avi files. The game will presume that WMP will act as the server to play the movies in-game. If you installed RealPlayer, WinAmp, or some other multimedia software, it might've stolen the .avi association from WMP. Open WMP and under its options for Format types, make sure .avi is associated with WMP.

It is; I checked. Plus, if I double-click on the .avi's from the desktop, WMP fires up and plays the movie.

-- Although you might have the latest version of the Indeo codec, that doesn't mean you have the older version installed, too. At one time, Ligos (to whom Intel sold the Indeo codecs) allowed a free download of their "package" of audio and video codecs that included old and new versions. They now want to charge for it but the only change is the addition of Windows XP compliant codecs, but if you don't want those you still cannot get the free download of the Windows 9x-ME-2K compliant codecs. I probably have the free download available if you want to try it (don't know how big it is so I don't know how to send it to you yet). Newer versions often try to be backwards compatible but often some functions get deleted (because they get replaced or become defunct with newer standards) or altered so their behavior isn't exactly as expected.

I'm doubting it's the CODEC's themselves, seeing as how the movies play fine in WMP (unless the OLE mechanism is broken in the CODEC's that I have). I know of a web site that has older versions of the Indeo CODEC's. I am toying with the idea of installing those to see what happens.

-- You don't mention what behavior is exhibited when the "movies won't play."

D'oh!

Okay. What happens when I hit, say, the "Intro" button on the main menu is that the screen goes black for a second (and the sound of that annoying machinery on the main menu goes away, too :^) and then after about a second of no activity, the main menu pops back up.

The game itself runs fine. It's just that none of the movies (including the "success" and "failure" clips) will play when they're supposed to. I just get a second or so of that black/silent screen, and then things continue. I've yet to have the game crash on me.

Thanks for your response!

--Raynfala

LeatherMan
3rd Apr 2003, 07:00
Originally posted by raynfala
I'm doubting it's the CODEC's themselves, seeing as how the movies play fine in WMP (unless the OLE mechanism is broken in the CODEC's that I have). I know of a web site that has older versions of the Indeo CODEC's. I am toying with the idea of installing those to see what happens. It's the codecs.