PDA

View Full Version : freeing men from catapult

Publius
21st Mar 2003, 12:23
Hi there,

I was wondering if there's any way to free the auxiliary troops from manning a catapult (other than being destroyed by fire, by exemple).

In some cases the only (safe) access for your troops to other parts of the map is through woods, so you're compelled to abandon your catapult behind and the auxiliary troops manning it.

loki
21st Mar 2003, 12:28
no idea. :D Shouldn't have built them in the first place :D

loki

Telemach
21st Mar 2003, 14:36
This is an interesting point. The problem I found was that because there is a limit to the troops you can have at any one time, I often want to dispose of some units like catapults in favour of the units I think I need, yet there is no way to "sack" any of the units.
I always end up charging the units I no longer want into a massacre. Effective, but not very proffesional, I feel.

loki
21st Mar 2003, 15:50
Yes, you can't disband units. I consider it is _also_ part of your strategy to only recruit the units you need, or to optimize the use of what you have available.
This is probably why I often have to demote troops to get aux infantry (to build a bridge, a tower, a garisson...etc), then I always use them to build siege engines. While catapults are not very effective, they can be devastating when used to defend an elevated position. Four catapults on barrage can wipe marching troops when combined with archers (see mission 22 for a practical example).

But I digress :D

loki

Telemach
21st Mar 2003, 16:02
Fair play, but on mission 10 when you suddenly take control of all that Gaulish backup, I just didn't want them! I needed legions to take the fort, and the only way to dispose of the Gauls under my command was to send them stampeding into overwhelming enemy forces. Not something I'd do myself, but they all screamed in, happy as lambs, and dead in seconds. :D

Salmonicus Delicius
21st Mar 2003, 17:49
Not want catapults to take out a fortress? Jupiter preserve us! I am glad I am not serving under you:D

For myself, I always lose them because I forget all about them, and that last set of enemies you thought were gone and dead get them. Cruel, but effective.

"Strike fear into the hearts of your men. Love will only go so far, as the Thebans learned long ago..."

[Um, who was it that fought to the last man? V. famous battle, versus the persians was it? Damn my TV reduced memory! I...can't...remeber...The sky sure is dreary today...;) :D ]

Telemach
21st Mar 2003, 17:55
I never throw away a catapult when i have enemy installations to attend to, I refer to the hundreds of barbarian spearmen I found myself in control of at the North of the map. Dirty, smelly, and improperly trained. I kept the tower and catapult and sent the spearmen to "scout" the borders of the castle. Like I said... dead in seconds. I'll miis them. :D

Mike_B
22nd Mar 2003, 08:01
Originally posted by Telemach
Fair play, but on mission 10 when you suddenly take control of all that Gaulish backup, I just didn't want them! I needed legions to take the fort, and the only way to dispose of the Gauls under my command was to send them stampeding into overwhelming enemy forces. Not something I'd do myself, but they all screamed in, happy as lambs, and dead in seconds. :D

You would probaly have taken the for faster if you didn't sacrifice them...