PDA

View Full Version : New Patch Suggestion

Eksadiss
21st Mar 2003, 00:54
Ok while playing the game I came up with some ideas to improve the game.

1.FORMATIONS - There should be buttons for formations cause the ctrl-1 and all that is a bit confusing and most people dont know how to use it

2.UNIT LIMIT - I think we should be able to choose how many troops were allowed because for all the defense towers and auxilary infantry i build it usually takes a good quatre of the 500.

Area51
21st Mar 2003, 02:06
1. Hold down the right mouse button when you click troops to go somewhere, and while holding it, rotate the mouse wheel to change formation. (Of course, this won't work if you don't have a mouse wheel, which I now realize may be the reason you suggested this)

2. This limit just forces you to be more strategic with what you decide to build, as opposed to just massing a huge army in no time.

Eksadiss
21st Mar 2003, 02:19
The game is not very stragetic in my opinion, basically build a 500 man army and send em in.

Eksadiss
21st Mar 2003, 02:34
And there should be Egyptian and Barbarian Campaigns

Random
21st Mar 2003, 02:37
Originally posted by Eksadiss
The game is not very stragetic in my opinion, basically build a 500 man army and send em in.

I completely disagree. Your troops will get massacred if you don't make sure you're sending in the right ones. It's so strategic that it's hard to keep control of battles; you have to constantly make sure that troops are in the right area and attacking the right kind of enemy. Tactical decisions are what will win the game for you. Are you playing on easy?

Eksadiss
21st Mar 2003, 02:39
I play normal, Easy is well, too easy :D

Athos
21st Mar 2003, 06:58
Originally posted by Area51
1. Hold down the right mouse button when you click troops to go somewhere, and while holding it, rotate the mouse wheel to change formation. (Of course, this won't work if you don't have a mouse wheel, which I now realize may be the reason you suggested this)

Actually you can use the Page up and Page down buttons if your mouse does not have a mouse wheel
(But I don't have that problem, got a spiffy new wireless one!)

Anyways back to topic:
My suggestions for a patch would be multiplayer seige maps, some new missions or a campaign (unlikely), Some new spiffy technical things that would help overall with gameplay,

oh and a map editor.

Yeah thats about it.

Eksadiss
21st Mar 2003, 07:54
Originally posted by Athos
Actually you can use the Page up and Page down buttons if your mouse does not have a mouse wheel
(But I don't have that problem, got a spiffy new wireless one!)

Anyways back to topic:
My suggestions for a patch would be multiplayer seige maps, some new missions or a campaign (unlikely), Some new spiffy technical things that would help overall with gameplay,

oh and a map editor.

Yeah thats about it.

UNLIKELY??? :P its a brand new game that is guaranteed to go far, im sure the developers would do thier best to improve the game with new campaigns and multiplayer seige maps. I just hope the devlopers read these posts.:p

loki
21st Mar 2003, 09:21
yes, we need an editor, or at least a few more MP maps. I wouldn't mind some more SP scenarii as well.
As for the barbarian or egyptian campaign, you have the opportunity to recruit barbarians and egyptian in the regular campaign, thus I don't really see the point.

loki

Publius
21st Mar 2003, 12:32
For my part, i'd be glad to see some kind of "veteran" effect to reflect the experience of troops.

Legionnaires are limited to a 2000 stamina level. This should raise as you - successfully of course - advance in the campaign.

Caesar won the gallic and civil wars because he had battle hardened veterans at his disposal (notably the elite 10th legion).

psychoJr
21st Mar 2003, 13:11
I hate the way the troops all bunch up
There is no fun in huge battles.All of you see is lots of soldiers fighting (!) who are glued together.Even some soldiers get inside of the other soldiers' bodies.Thats totally unrealistic and decreases the game's overall score a lot because it is a strategic rts game with no resource management,upgrades and other stuff right?So the battles play a huge role in the gameplay and the game engine in these type of games must be capable of giving a realistic and fun experience. This messed up collision detection makes the battles look crappy and tasteless.
The more realistic a game gets the more fun it will be (Of course it has a limit.Losing a large amount of soldiers due to internal bleeding will be no fun)
I think they have to correct this with a patch.
If you ask me i would now give a 75% score for this game(Huge battles look crappy but it is still fun to play with smaller armies)
But if they correct it in a patch the game's score for me will be 95%

Mike_B
21st Mar 2003, 15:35
Only things I wanna see in a patch (for now)

- editor (not necesarry in a patch)

- no cd patch (but It's probably Eidos that decides this)

Athos
22nd Mar 2003, 00:59
UNLIKELY??? :P its a brand new game that is guaranteed to go far, im sure the developers would do thier best to improve the game with new campaigns and multiplayer seige maps. I just hope the devlopers read these posts.:p '

I say unlikely because some times developers release new campaigns in expansion packs or sequels.

Lets hope this doesn't happen.

Eksadiss
22nd Mar 2003, 06:28
I also noticed that my Centerion or however u spell it never looses stamina when he runs, that spose to be?

Mike_B
22nd Mar 2003, 07:55
I also noticed that my Centerion or however u spell it never looses stamina when he runs, that spose to be?

The centurion can re-generate stamina as special ability so, he can probably do the same for himself.

Eksadiss
22nd Mar 2003, 09:10
Well ill try it with chieftans and officials and post back

Eksadiss
22nd Mar 2003, 11:44
Well ill try it with chieftans and officials and post back
Ok, same thing, Both tge chieftans and the officials never lost 1 stamina while running ling distances

RogueImpaler
23rd Mar 2003, 16:34
Some things i would like to see in a patch...wait who need a patch?
Two words slip into my mind: ADD ON.:)

1. Mighty eidos give us walls to build around our cities.(and give
the cities/villages some diffrent looks,they all look the same.)
Romans DID build (wooden) walls wherever they could so it fits in the realism yawn yawn.This game really owns but walls are a must.
You cant hide behind the fact that gamedesigning is new to ya all,so back to the drawing boards asap!(same mistakes westwood made in command and conquer).All strategic gamers just crave them walls.

2.Make them mutliplayer maps less symmetric cuz im getting kaleidoscope effect...dont you?Possibilities are endless like castles and stuff.Just balance with populations/locations.
Make something up about riots in the streets of rome...whatever.

3.Little option for me and my bro:make 3 player maps so we can rape the cpu the both of us (grin)

4.Mighty eidos give us walls to build around our cities.

5.Mighty eidos give us walls to build around our cities.

And if there come massive new levels for single plr campaign the editor can wait.The idea to have troops be more veteran is awesome and needs also be applied to the centurion also throughout the campaigns.
Perhaps a multiplayer Colloseum fight/level would be nice (your workin on it right now arent ya) since its all about
formations/tactics.Fight against others or against hordes of wild beasts all to please nero.

To ask for a nocd file is as crazy as to ask for a full class/myth release from eidos :)

Anyway to shorten up all this the only thing i really want to see are those jummie walls ^^

SPQR RogueImpaler
Morituri te Salutant:mad: :mad:

Athos
23rd Mar 2003, 18:28
Hmm, I don't know about asking for walls, as basically you can just ask for more fortress maps.

You don't technically need walls in this game (unless you are on a fortress map) Because if you skillfully use terrain and other factors to your advantage, your town can be easily defended.

Building walls would just subtract from better courses of defense, such as building ballistas (to break up turtle formations and oncoming assaults), catapults, and towers to help your defense.

RogueImpaler
23rd Mar 2003, 18:50
It wouldnt subtract at all imo, its what romans immediatly did when they conquered a village.To have some minor protection as walls would leave you more space to go all out and attack,or pull troops back in for a village rescue
Reasonably i dont mean walls like the fortress kind but smaller wooden walls(how could you not love them between your towers instead of spearmen)which can be destroyed.Implement in an add on where villages can be on more open terrain.
Sure you can defend your village skillfully(i do this all the time..cough...cough).
And im cool with the semi-walls my spearmen can make up hehe.

Athos
23rd Mar 2003, 21:17
Hmm small walls, that would be nice.
Also, in terms of defensive fixtures, I'd like to see pits with stakes in them, which impede and hurt troops moving through (not sure if this would work in terms of game balance)

Yes, if the village is in open terrain walls would help, but if you have some high terrain near the village you don't need them.
In MP, when you're fighting desperatly for those middle villages, the game is better where it is back and forth, whereas if you just plopped down some walls and made it a permanent asset of yours, it wouldnt be as fun.

Eksadiss
25th Mar 2003, 09:06
Originally posted by Athos
Hmm small walls, that would be nice.
Also, in terms of defensive fixtures, I'd like to see pits with stakes in them, which impede and hurt troops moving through (not sure if this would work in terms of game balance)

Yes, if the village is in open terrain walls would help, but if you have some high terrain near the village you don't need them.
In MP, when you're fighting desperatly for those middle villages, the game is better where it is back and forth, whereas if you just plopped down some walls and made it a permanent asset of yours, it wouldnt be as fun.

With those walls in the middle there would be enemy archers burning down the walls and shooting the infantry to try to repair it, and siege weapons taking it down no problem

Athos
25th Mar 2003, 22:29
Unfortunately I've just heard in another thread that no patches or editors are currently planned for this game......

Sad news...

Rasm
25th Mar 2003, 23:49
After playing the full version I was impressed. There were some minor gameplay issues that I hope will be changed. The first thing that bothered me has to do with the spearmen. During a lan game with a friend, I carefully snuck 2 armies of soldiers behind my friends spearmen who were in their defensive spear mode. Now logically you think that you would get a bonus for attacking the enemy from behind..... this is not the case however. Not only did i not get a bonus but I lost all my soldiers to spearmen who had their spears pointing the other direction.... At first i thought this was some glitch but it happened again and I realized that you just dont attack them.. The main thing I'd like to see is that the spearmen do not have their defense mode work from behind them. The second possible thing that you could add is a bonus for troops who attack troops whose backs are turned.

Another thing that could be changed is allowing the medics to run. nothing is more annoying than having your army run from the enemy and have your medics straggle behind and get chopped down by advancing troops.

A third thing that I would like to see is a map editor. I was looking in the praetorians\data folder and saw the file Mapasmultiplayer.pak. I assume this is where the games multiplayer maps are stored and was wondering if in the next patch you could make it so the game engine reads user created pak files like many of the other game engines.

A fourth thing I'd like to see are maps for odd numbers of players. With me and 2 friends playing it seems oddly unbalanced while two players start close to eachother and one player starts farther away.

Finally a fifth thing that I would like to see are possibly different game modes. Modes such Defend and hold, Centurion Assassination, or Excessive battles where there are no towns and players start with 500 troops vs 500 and players must out micro-manage the other player. Like Roman battles of old. Maybe you could create a way to mod the game as well and have a modding community.

Anyway these are just suggestions. Feel free to expand on them.

Eksadiss
5th Apr 2003, 16:02
yea, I think there should be some more things we can do to Counter the mass 500 barb warrior rush that usually happenes too and the 500 egyptain slaves in the first 5 mins.

LordJohnDrinksalot
18th Apr 2003, 17:34
Map Editor would be great.

Pause command in which we could issue orders and assess the map.

SHADOW_PRAETORIAN
19th Apr 2003, 00:57
@Formations.

I would Like To See More Formations.
For All Units:
Wedge - Attacking Formation but Bad Defence, When In Prolonged Battle it Begins to Lose Men More Rapidly.
Linear - 3 Men Deep and , Good For Marching and Has Good Defence.
Column - 3 Men Wide, Good For Ambushing and Good vs Flanking, Men March & Run Slightly Faster.
Square - Normal Formation.

OTHER.
Turtle, Men Should Not Become So Compressed and the Turtle Should Stay Square and not Form up in a Rectangular Formation.

Hold Formation - Like in MTW, Stays In Formation and Does Not Break away To Fight Other Enemy Groups.
Fire at Will - Lie in MTW, Archers, Slingers & Siege Wepons Fire as Soon as an Enemy is In Range, Turn it off and you Have To Engage it in Combat.

silvercue
19th Apr 2003, 01:21
basically the game, fantastic as it is, is full of weaknesses and bugs but Eidos do not really care. They are selling this as a 1 player game to the PC World Brigade. They clearly do not give a monkeys ars3 about it other than that, can you not tell by the fact that it has less support/web content etc that any othet game known to humanity? They are only doing a patch because half the world cannot even play online...mmm nice beta tesing you must have done.....maybe!!

SHADOW_PRAETORIAN
19th Apr 2003, 15:42
Thats A Bit Harsh!!??!!

Eksadiss
19th Apr 2003, 21:08
Originally posted by silvercue
basically the game, fantastic as it is, is full of weaknesses and bugs but Eidos do not really care. They are selling this as a 1 player game to the PC World Brigade. They clearly do not give a monkeys ars3 about it other than that, can you not tell by the fact that it has less support/web content etc that any othet game known to humanity? They are only doing a patch because half the world cannot even play online...mmm nice beta tesing you must have done.....maybe!!

theres a patch coming?

Athos
19th Apr 2003, 22:29
Originally posted by SHADOW_PRAETORIAN
@Formations.
Fire at Will - Lie in MTW, Archers, Slingers & Siege Wepons Fire as Soon as an Enemy is In Range, Turn it off and you Have To Engage it in Combat.

That can be done with the 'aggressive' and 'defensive' setting. Simply put your archers on 'aggressive' and they will attack anything that comes into their range, however if you put them on 'defensive' they won't attack unless they are attacked themselves.

Eksadiss
20th Apr 2003, 00:04
1.Are siege weapons set on defensive by default?

2.Athos would you care for a 1 on 1

Athos
20th Apr 2003, 05:35
@ Eksadiss

1. Yes, so they are basically worthless if you forget to set them on 'aggressive'.

2. Sure, anytime.

jaywalker2309
6th May 2003, 14:29
Originally posted by silvercue

Excuse me? do u come on gamespy at all? i've been on there almost every day since the demo was released.. I've answered ANY questions people have had re the title.. i've offered support and as far as i can see NO one has complained to me about not being able to play online!!

Please think before you post a wildly exaggerated statement like this.. the game was tested extensively, obviously minor niggles would appear due to fact there are more of you playing then there are testers on the project. But to say we dont care is just pure bull..