PDA

View Full Version : a few questions..help!

amievil?
19th Mar 2003, 02:26
im using dromed 1.

1. my briefing works in thief, but its not full screen. i didnt know to use the indeo codec. anyone know how to change the codec for an avi file. is there a program that does this or something?

2. i have my objectives put in and was testing them out last night. i have an objective to plant evidence in a room. basically the objective should tick off when i put the "paprus" in the room. i set it up in the objective wizard as a goal "no type". reason i did that was i used sources and receptrons to change the goal from a 0 to a 1 when the paprus is placed near a marker(source). it doesnt work. should i set the goal type to something like "steal an object" instead of no type. it shouldnt matter since the source will trigger the receptron. i followed what someone posted on how to do that....but they did it for an ai and i dont know if it will work on the paprus.

3. i set up another objective to be a "new objective".... basically what i wanted to happen was when you read a book it triggers the new objective. it doesnt work either. i put stdbutton on the book, and CD link to the qv trap and also to a destroytrap.. while im typeing this im thinking i know what i did wrong. but anyway what is the correct way to set it up so that when i read a book it gets triggered but if i read it again it wont trigger again?

4. last q? for now.....in dromed 1, when a new objective is triggered, will it play the "new objectives" chime and show the text on its own or do i have to set that too?

Apache
19th Mar 2003, 05:03
Originally posted by amievil?
im using dromed 1.

1. my briefing works in thief, but its not full screen. i didnt know to use the indeo codec. anyone know how to change the codec for an avi file. is there a program that does this or something?

Look for a program called vDub (virtual dub) free program and you can change the codec to anything you like.

2. i have my objectives put in and was testing them out last night. i have an objective to plant evidence in a room. basically the objective should tick off when i put the "paprus" in the room. i set it up in the objective wizard as a goal "no type". reason i did that was i used sources and receptrons to change the goal from a 0 to a 1 when the paprus is placed near a marker(source). it doesnt work. should i set the goal type to something like "steal an object" instead of no type. it shouldnt matter since the source will trigger the receptron. i followed what someone posted on how to do that....but they did it for an ai and i dont know if it will work on the paprus.

For Dromed 1 it is alittle harder to set-up "Bring this item here goals" LGS used hardcoded scripts for this in the OMs..For us we have to fake it. I wrote a tut once on how to to this very thing. And it used a non-rendered AI..But you should be able to get the same effects with your maker method.

A few things to check..
1-Did you make sure you changed the setting on the source to Radius.
2-Did you set the radius large enough.
3-Double check your links..you might have them backwards..I don't have dromed 1 open right now so I can't recall which it which..maybe try reversing them.

3. i set up another objective to be a "new objective".... basically what i wanted to happen was when you read a book it triggers the new objective. it doesnt work either. i put stdbutton on the book, and CD link to the qv trap and also to a destroytrap.. while im typeing this im thinking i know what i did wrong. but anyway what is the correct way to set it up so that when i read a book it gets triggered but if i read it again it wont trigger again?

You also have to change one of the setting in EngineFeatures..
Frob Info-World Action...check Script

4. last q? for now.....in dromed 1, when a new objective is triggered, will it play the "new objectives" chime and show the text on its own or do i have to set that too?

It should do it all on it's own..then again it has been a VERY long time since I've used D1..

Good luck..

Morrgan
19th Mar 2003, 12:28
Originally posted by amievil?
4. last q? for now.....in dromed 1, when a new objective is triggered, will it play the "new objectives" chime and show the text on its own or do i have to set that too? The sound and text doesn't happen automatically in Thief 1. If you want them you'll have to set it all up yourself.

amievil?
19th Mar 2003, 22:12
thanks apache and morrgan.

apache, i was following your tutorial actually for the bring object here goal and then came across a post showing this marker method with s&r. it seems quite buggy. i may just go with your way.

ill look for the vdub program tonight.

morrgan, i guess if i have to make the new objectives text myself i think ill change the text a little :) that is pretty simple to do with a relay trap. my current prob is im very tight on objects right now so i may have to delete a few more odds and ends to finish this. i didnt work on it last night but tonight ill be back at it. thanks for the help!

Morrgan
21st Mar 2003, 04:37
Apologies, I may have been wrong about what I said. :o I think I got the New Objectives confused with the regular Objective Complete part... I hope you haven't done anything about it yet amievil?, sorry if you have.

Schwaa2
21st Mar 2003, 19:21
make sure the Qvar is ~CD linked from the book (I now its basic but I've got the direction of link messed up and couldn't figure it out for awhile- didn't think to check, its so simple)

Qvar prop:
Trap>Qvar
<b>=1:goal_state_#</b> 1=complete, # = goal #

Scrolls are testy with StdButton, make a book and change the shape and art props if you use a scroll to trigger an objective.

I've also learned to set a time trap (marker with <b>TrapTimedRelay</b> script on it and script>timing>800 to make a slight delay, so the player can close the book and it will wait 8 tenths of a second before chiming, otherwise it is easier to miss (the new objective that is).

put the marker CD linked in between the book and QVAR.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
S&R can be a little tricky to learn but once you do you can control Drom in amazing ways. My new mission has about 10 new stims, plus i've use 2 or 3 original ones in many places.

Another otpion though is the key/lockbox thing. Look at "A Careless Fly", the rat and plate at the beginning use this method.

amievil?
24th Mar 2003, 02:56
ok, ive managed to get the new objectives to trigger(one triggered by a book and the other by a conversation) the one by the book ticks off correctly. the other is the final objective. yes it does the new objectives thing by itself :)

but there is still problems. for one, i have the objective to plant evidence for normal and expert only. apparently that wont work when you skip one difficulty. so ill have to make it a normal only objective. which means expert will be one shorter than before which sucks. but anyway the other problem is the "bring ai/evidence here" goals arent working still. it finally dawned on me that maybe after i did the s/r thing i should have built the room database and all that as well, which i didnt. ill have to try that again. my question still is though for these objectives, in TOW what type are they supposed to be? if i put in "no type" im not sure that works in dromed 1??

for the evidence, i could trick it by making it a goto objective and perhaps using the roombrush there to send a control to a destroy trap and when you enter the room it should tick off the objective plus delete the paprus.....or maybe not. but for the other one which is an ai that method would be silly. i dont know anymore, ive burned out on it trying to make it work. im glad though i found out what i did wrong with the "new objective" triggers..just typed them in wrong. perhaps the same mistake was made for the s/r method as well. i had radius, intensity 5, radius of 30, period 2000 i think and no max firings. in receptrons i had it set to "set quest variable" or whatever and set it to be complete. it just doesnt work.

Apache
24th Mar 2003, 06:40
Howdy
I got bored and made you a step by step Tut and playable darkloader ready Demo for Thief 1 to Help you with your Bring Item here goal...
The tut is in the zip file..
Here is the link..
www.nativeartdesign.com/files/thief/Demo.zip

Enjoy..
Anyone else looking for this type of thing ..Have at it..But remember this Demo is for Thief 1 ONLY....

PS..This uses the S/R Marker method..

amievil?
24th Mar 2003, 22:45
thanks apache, i also responded to your PM to me :)