PDA

View Full Version : Why Dragon Quest IS Good?

destruction7
28th Mar 2013, 17:26
Say your motives!.

bigtakilla
25th Jun 2013, 07:20
Timeless art style, in depth custumization of characters, beautifully orchistrated music, interesting Worlds, monster's gag names, stories tend to be pretty solid (though early games it seemed the stories were recycled to be honest). What's not awesome about the majority of these games?

sleepyeyes
27th Jun 2013, 05:21
Okay, so I've played all the Final Fantasy titles, but that's pretty much it for RPGs. So, I saw this thread, and then I went poking around on Amazon.

It looks like the only Dragon Quest game I could find for Playstation was VIII for the PS2. Everything else seemed to be for the DS, 3DS, or Wii. I *might* could be persuaded to buy a 3DS... but, it won't happen until after September, after all my PS4 and new PS3 stuff is all paid off.

I will never, ever, ever, in my whole life, *ever* buy a Wii. I wouldn't even accept one as a gift. Nothing personal.

So, I put a new copy of VIII for PS2 in my Amazon shopping cart. What am I in for? What else in this series should I be playing? Were there any PS1 titles?

Atma-Weapon
27th Jun 2013, 08:39
Okay, so I've played all the Final Fantasy titles, but that's pretty much it for RPGs. So, I saw this thread, and then I went poking around on Amazon.

It looks like the only Dragon Quest game I could find for Playstation was VIII for the PS2. Everything else seemed to be for the DS, 3DS, or Wii. I *might* could be persuaded to buy a 3DS... but, it won't happen until after September, after all my PS4 and new PS3 stuff is all paid off.

I will never, ever, ever, in my whole life, *ever* buy a Wii. I wouldn't even accept one as a gift. Nothing personal.

So, I put a new copy of VIII for PS2 in my Amazon shopping cart. What am I in for? What else in this series should I be playing? Were there any PS1 titles?

The only DQ title for PSone I believe, is Dragon Warrior VII which is easily my favorite of the series. As far as what you're in for, lets just say I hope you're a fan of old school RPG battle systems, because DQ is about as old school as it gets as far as combat is concerned. However, VIII improved on the combat visuals being that it is in 3D and all. If you can get over that hump, the Dragon Quest worlds are usually quite large and open for lots of exploration, money is a valued commodity that doesn't just stack in your bank till your sick of looking at it, and dungeons and their respectable bosses are usually a rewarding experience when you finish them.

The story telling is a bit weak with sub-par characters in most of the games but honestly, the atmosphere and exploration generally make up for it. You'll definitely get your money's worth if you invest yourself into the game. Just be ready for an old shool RPG experience closer to the older Final Fantasies.

If you end up really liking DQVIII, I highly recommend buying a cheap DS and getting all the DQ ports and remakes they've put on it.

Error96_
14th Nov 2014, 00:27
I like the strategy and customisation elements so there are so many ways to equip jobs/moves and have different tactics for the bosses.

JMoriMori
16th Feb 2015, 22:18
Prince Albert.
Tom Foolery.

Nuff said

Photodinopathy
5th May 2015, 17:02
Diverse enemies, fun quests and abundant customisation.