PDA

View Full Version : Fire safety

Telemach
13th Mar 2003, 15:17
Catapults.
They're good at taking forts, aren't they?
Not if the enemy sets fire to them with flaming arrows.
Is there a way to rescue them, as using up to 1 or 2 catapults to defeat 1 troop of archers on the enemy ramparts seems not only unrealistic, but kind of a false economy.
Is there something I've not thought of?

Cheers.

Mike_B
13th Mar 2003, 15:57
Originally posted by Telemach
Is there a way to rescue them

When your catapult is on fire call it back and let your auxiliary infantry repair it.

Telemach
13th Mar 2003, 16:15
I guess I could, but it's just that the second you start attacking with a catapult, it invariable is set on fire.
Isn't there a better way of using or protecting them, I'm trying to look out for ALL my troops, after all!

Cheers though, I hadn't thought of that.

DTRY
13th Mar 2003, 18:07
You can repair your siege engines?!?

I feel stupid. :o

loki
13th Mar 2003, 19:24
I haven't come up with a good answer to this question either : how to protect your catapults. I really suck at taking enemy fortresses anyway... :D The only way I could beat the mission where you have to free the ambassador, was to throw in an insane amount of warriors in like 5 siege towers and go straight to the wall : pretty brutal, but I have no idea how to do it differently, there are just too many archers on the walls.
If someone has a good working tactic for invading enemy fortresses, I will gladly test it.

loki

BadGuysAlwaysWin
14th Mar 2003, 07:59
here is what i've found to work:

to eliminate archers on walls:

use 2-3 catapults for maximum result: set 2 to "spread" and 1 to "normal" (neither fireball nor spread). now, march forward with 2-4 legions in turtle formation. as soon as legions enter the enemy's range of fire, they draw all fire from the enemy. since arrows barely damage the turtles, bring up your catapults and get rid of the archers one group at a time. in case the enemy runs out to attack, get archers ready to rain hell on anyone melee attacking the legionnaries, then withdraw once its done. u can also bring ur archers up to help against the wall archers, again making sure that the turtles soak up the fire. try to advance first on sides WITHOUT doors, so it takes longer for the enemy melee to reach you. u can also (very useful) stick some pikemen in an assault tower or 2 (one is usually enough) and stick em onto a particularly clogged up wall.

to eliminate doors: set 1 to "fireball" and 2 to "normal". with no archers on the walls (see above strat) its very simple. set pikemen in stationary in front, legionnaries on flanks, destroy the door, then advance.

loki
14th Mar 2003, 09:18
Thank you for this tactic, I realized I put all my legions in the tower, and thus could not use them as decoy. I didn't master the "spread" fire either, I don't really know what it does. I make sure I try this tactic again, sounds great indeed.
Another possibility was to attack the fortress from both sides at the same time, which is, I gather, one of the most useful tactic against _any_ computer :D But I was a bit lazy and didn't want to wipe clean the map before I attacked the fortress, thus I only amassed troops on the back entrance.

loki

Salmonicus Delicius
14th Mar 2003, 22:00
What about using hawk scouts? Admittedly, I am brand new to the game, but if you can pinpoint where the archers are and marshal your catapults to an area outside their range, set it so you have the hawk scout scout the area, then hit with the massed catapults. Will they hit the archers on the wall or will the archers simply put themselves into stationary and outrange the catapults? As I said, I'm new, but so far, I have been using the scouts extensively.

loki
15th Mar 2003, 09:54
Because in this particular mission, the archers are on the fortress walls, and thus they have a better range than your catapult.

loki

Salmonicus Delicius
15th Mar 2003, 17:52
Ah, ok. Good to know.

If the archers and catapult are on level field, with neither having a height advantage, which outranges which? Archers or catapults?

Dramaticus
27th Mar 2003, 17:37
Yes, use turtle (testudo) formation to divert defenders while you roll up your siege items.

I have found, so far, in the "Mist" or "10" mission that my legionnaires can't be put into the testudo formation, it is not an option. So, I will have to check that out. :(

psychoJr
27th Mar 2003, 18:28
Originally posted by BadGuysAlwaysWin
here is what i've found to work:

to eliminate archers on walls:

use 2-3 catapults for maximum result: set 2 to "spread" and 1 to "normal" (neither fireball nor spread). now, march forward with 2-4 legions in turtle formation. as soon as legions enter the enemy's range of fire, they draw all fire from the enemy. since arrows barely damage the turtles, bring up your catapults and get rid of the archers one group at a time. in case the enemy runs out to attack, get archers ready to rain hell on anyone melee attacking the legionnaries, then withdraw once its done. u can also bring ur archers up to help against the wall archers, again making sure that the turtles soak up the fire. try to advance first on sides WITHOUT doors, so it takes longer for the enemy melee to reach you. u can also (very useful) stick some pikemen in an assault tower or 2 (one is usually enough) and stick em onto a particularly clogged up wall.

to eliminate doors: set 1 to "fireball" and 2 to "normal". with no archers on the walls (see above strat) its very simple. set pikemen in stationary in front, legionnaries on flanks, destroy the door, then advance.

That will work against the AI but you cant mislead a good player with that tactic.

Dramaticus
27th Mar 2003, 18:40
Yes, this game more than many others (i.e. Warcraft III) seems to require VERY different tactics when playing multiplayer. I won't even go there! (Hey, I'm 52, and when I see posts with 30-somethings calling themselves "old", I know when to quit.) ;)

Mark OHearn
27th Mar 2003, 20:07
Thanks for your post; please don't quit, this 34-year old feels young again :)

I started with Radio Shack's pong, moved to Intellivision, Genesis, Playstation 1, and now Xbox/PC. Have you been a gamer for long? If so, what are your earliest gaming memories?

Dramaticus
27th Mar 2003, 20:55
I certainly remember Pong (the mother of all video games), but was not really interested. I never bought a gaming system. I remember playing Star Trek on a mini-computer (and loving it) in pre-PC days. The first computer game I really enjoyed was this war game with little stick figures that ran in four colors. Then in the mid-80s there was something called...Starflight? It was a role playing galaxy exploring game. Civilization II had me hooked for a long time. I guess my primary interests are strategy and FPS games, with forays into action titles.

Computer games gave me a diversion during my bachelor days, but as a happily married man I don't have as much time (and what time I have is interrupted by my wife who craves my company) as I once did. And more really good games are coming out all the time!!! Recent pleasures have been No One Lives Forever 2, Enclave (for the PC). I also have Medal of Honor Spearhead and Splinter Cell loaded, and I am a beta tester for Warcraft III: Frozen Throne (a very bad one, which is why my name on Battle.net is Grandfodder).

As a kid I used to spend hours drawing maps of ficticious worlds and then moving the borders around, commanding armies and conquering worlds of my own divising. That is one reason Civ II was so appealing. Civ III has not grabbed me the same way, I find I can not master it as easily or well.

If you are 34, rock on! Time just keeps coming at ya no matter what you do. Carpe diem.