PDA

View Full Version : Wading in...

Telemach
11th Mar 2003, 10:11
Still doing the fourth (last) tutorial mission (don't have enough time), and, having restarted several times, I find that some goes I reach the first village with a massive army left alive, and sometimes I'm completely wiped out.
Anyone figured out what the tactic is for survival, as I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing differently when I thrash the enemy.
Is it because I'm being more defensive? Letting my medic recharge the units after every skirmish?
What's the secret???

Cheers.

Shamaani
11th Mar 2003, 10:18
Almost everybody is talking about the campaign ...
I play only skirmishes vs computer ...
ok ok...

It's now decided : i start the campaign tonight!!!
;)

but for the moment, sorry, can't help u.

loki
11th Mar 2003, 10:59
Well, I haven't played the tutorials except for the first one. But I'm currently at mission 14.
One thing you have to remember is first to assign hotkeys to groups of units : all cavalry to #1, all archers to #2 ...etc. Dont move all your units at the same time, if you suspect an archer ambush in the woods along the roads, send your legions in turtle mode, they can't harm you much. When you encounter the enemy, use your legions to block enemy pikemens, then send your cavalry which you have previously hotkeyed to slaughter enemy archers who stand behind the pikemen. Bring your archers behind the legions and attack the pikemen.
You really need to master the turtle/archers/cavalry routines if you want to travel with minimal damage. Also, remember to pull out your cavalry when you have wiped out enemy archers, or if they run in the forests. If the enemy archers are in the forest, your best bet is to send a turtled legion to attack them (if they are not threatening another more vulnerable of your units) or "deturtle" a legion and RUN to attack them. It's a lot bloodier, but archers are very nasty and can wipe cavalry/pikemen in no time when protected by forests.
Of course, the same tactics apply to you when you are attacked (keep the cavalry out of sight to charge the enemy archers when the coast is cleared of enemy pikemen), put your archers in forests, but ALWAYS leave a legion with them to protect them : enemy warriors can enter forests and wipe your archers pretty quickly.

if you are facing an inexpugnable army (first desert mission, when trying to attack the village on the far right) with a lot of cavalry, you can't win with a direct assault, you can use the archer-cavalry to harrass enemy and lure them in an ambush. Archer-cavalry is very good as a decoy.

Just a few ideas... You can't play that game like AoM, definitely need to use your brain and study the terrain beforehand.

loki

Telemach
11th Mar 2003, 11:24
That's really, really helpful, cheers.
Anyone else? Anyone know how to best and safely use medics and scouts to their maximum advantage?

loki
11th Mar 2003, 11:35
Regarding medics, I have no useful tips, except that you should keep him at safe distance and use him to heal your troops when you have cleared an enemy attack, but that you probably had realized as of yet. :)
For the scouts, well, remember what I wrote in the previous message ? "Send a turtled legion if you suspect an archer ambush". Using the scouts, you send a turtled legion because you KNOW there is an archer ambush :)
The wolf can enter the forest and give you the exact locations of enemies. Plus, remember when your wolf see the archers in the woods, that means your archers can see them too, without actually entering the forests (or anyone entering for that matter) !
The hawk scout can be used to see if someone's waiting for you on higher grounds : read enemy archers. Then you have two choices, either send a turtle, or a cavalry if the archers are alone.

loki

Ghostie
11th Mar 2003, 11:53
I haven't encountered alot of cavalry yet but i think pikemen in stationary mode are very good against cavarly if they are backed with legionares/archers..

Just spread out ~4 units of pikemen with 3 units of legionares and 2-3 archers.. this will wipe out the cavarly in no time..

Telemach
11th Mar 2003, 11:56
I guess this goes back to my not having enough time problem! When you've only got an hour of play before your girlfriend gets home and demands to be taken out for dinner you don't want to have to be spending time scouting areas out first.
I guess I'll have to come up with my own strategy for keeping her occupied. ;)
Cheers everyone.

loki
11th Mar 2003, 12:19
Originally posted by Ghostie
I haven't encountered alot of cavalry yet but i think pikemen in stationary mode are very good against cavarly if they are backed with legionares/archers..

Just spread out ~4 units of pikemen with 3 units of legionares and 2-3 archers.. this will wipe out the cavarly in no time..
uh uh. That works when you have to _defend_ against cavalry. This tactic is of not much use when you have to attack defending cavalry (read, 7 or 8 units of cavalry), especially if this cavalry is backed up with archer cavalry, they will wipe your pikemen before you can even reach them. Hence my tatic in that case is to lure the enemy cavalry in an ambush where you have a lot of pikemen, archers on higher grounds (preferably in forests as cavalry cannot enter forests except for the german one) and a few equites to counter the enemy archer cavalry when you have beaten the regular one.

loki

Ghostie
11th Mar 2003, 12:28
That's what i did with the cavalry i encountered.. just send in some auxiliair infantry and lure them into the pikemen :)

loki
11th Mar 2003, 12:34
Originally posted by Ghostie
That's what i did with the cavalry i encountered.. just send in some auxiliair infantry and lure them into the pikemen :)
if the enemy cavalry is set to defend, they won't move, unless your aux infantry is really close and then you won't be fast enough to retreat. :)
That's why archer-cavalry is the right unit for this, because you can attack the defending cavalry from a long range and force them to chase you (unless of course they'd rather die standing). As you are about as fast as them, you can retreat behind your pikemen and let the enemy cavalry crash into your impaling polearms :D

loki

loki
11th Mar 2003, 12:36
Originally posted by loki
if the enemy cavalry is set to defend, they won't move, unless your aux infantry is really close and then you won't be fast enough to retreat. :)
That's why archer-cavalry is the right unit for this, because you can attack the defending cavalry from a long range and force them to chase you (unless of course they'd rather die standing). As you are about as fast as them, you can retreat behind your pikemen and let the enemy cavalry crash into your impaling polearms :D

loki

Before I used this tactic in the desert mission, I won with a ratio like 500 lose/ 800 kills (read, sending hordes of legions and pikemen against the camel riders), when I set up the archer-cavaly ambush plan, I finished the mission with 44 lose/800 kills.
My best ratio so far :D

loki