PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Just installed Windows 98SE and sound does NOT work!

TRoosevelt_26
9th Mar 2003, 21:15
I just put in an additional 80GB HDD, bringing the total up to 120GB. It's quite nice, and also gave me an opportunity to go from Windows Millennium to Windows 98SE without burning all my essential files to 20+ CDs (all my old stuff is on my old HDD, which is slaved to the new).

After installing Windows 98, I noticed that sound was not working. I then installed my Sound Blaster Audigy and found that sound still did not work.

It wanted drivers for a PCI Multimedia Device, so I got them off my Windows Millennium resource CD from Dell.

Now the PCI Multimedia Device does not need drivers, but I still have no sound!

I have checked all the connections, and in Volume Control I can see a dB graph showing that I am playing music (that is, decibel levels are being registered by the computer), and I can even record MIDI files to .WAV format internally and play them on OTHER people's computers, but no sound comes out!

Anyone know why this is?

PS - I SAW sound and could record MIDIs even before I put in the Win/ME drivers.

System Specs
P4 1.6 GHz
512MB RAM
120GB HDD
Sound Blaster Audigy 24-bit
16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro
Windows 98SE (clean install)

LeatherMan
9th Mar 2003, 21:56
I just have to ask: Are the speakers connected properly?

If yes, then: The Audigy was released after WinME, therefore it is unlikely that the correct drivers for the Audigy would be included with WinME. Even if they were, the WinME drivers may not work properly for Win98SE.

What you'll need to do is uninstall all of the drivers:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove>Creative

OR

System Properties>Device Manager>Sound, video ...>Creative>Remove
AND
Creative Misc. devices>Creative ...>Remove (all)

Reboot. During start up, you will be prompted to install the drivers for the device: Cancel. Let the system finish loading and then insert the Creative Audigy CD, and install. You will have the option of just installing the drivers, or installing all of the bloat. The choice is yours. Reboot.

TRoosevelt_26
9th Mar 2003, 22:03
Okay, I'll be trying it in five to ten minutes. Thanks!

Munin the Raven
9th Mar 2003, 22:03
One little option that frustrates a lot of SB Audigy Platinum owners is the "Digital Output Only" option in the Creative Surround Mixer control panel (you need to be in "Advanced Mode" to see this option. If this option is checked off, it can prevent you from hearing any sound at all regardless of the other options.

I'm not sure if this also applies to the SB Audigy Gamer.

LeatherMan
9th Mar 2003, 22:09
Originally posted by Munin the Raven
One little option that frustrates a lot of SB Audigy Platinum owners is the "Digital Output Only" option in the Creative Surround Mixer control panel (you need to be in "Advanced Mode" to see this option. If this option is checked off, it can prevent you from hearing any sound at all regardless of the other options.

I'm not sure if this also applies to the SB Audigy Gamer. Good point Munin. This issue would apply to all versions of Audigy, as they all have digital out (not true for SBLive! cards).

Even if this fixes the problem, I would still recommend installing the correct drivers.

theBlackman
9th Mar 2003, 22:10
Audigy Platinum has drivers for 98/ME. Look in the Driver folder on the install disc under audio/common.

I have problems with mine in that I cannot get it to install at all.

I won't bore you with the problems I am having with it.

But, there are drivers for 98 there is also a patch available from Creative. The original drivers must be installed and functioning then the patch is installed.

I have been fighting my Audigy Platinum since June of last year, and have yet to get a successful install even with hours of help from Creative, including a new (2002) CD and a replacement board.

TRoosevelt_26
9th Mar 2003, 22:12
Thanks...unfortunately that's not the problem, as I had been scanning the options and tried it both checked and unchecked. I'm going ahead and trying the drivers now. :(

TRoosevelt_26
9th Mar 2003, 22:13
Originally posted by theBlackman
Audigy Platinum has drivers for 98/ME. Look in the Driver folder on the install disc under audio/common.

I have problems with mine in that I cannot get it to install at all.

I won't bore you with the problems I am having with it.

But, there are drivers for 98 there is also a patch available from Creative. The original drivers must be installed and functioning then the patch is installed.

I have been fighting my Audigy Platinum since June of last year, and have yet to get a successful install even with hours of help from Creative, including a new (2002) CD and a replacement board.

Thanks; I'm hunting down that patch as we speak. :)

Munin the Raven
9th Mar 2003, 22:16
I concur with theBlackman. My Audigy Platinum also came with 98/ME drivers, and I know someone who bought one more recently, and theirs came with a separate 98/ME installation CD.

The same individual just recently installed their Audigy on a Windows 98 machine and is having several problems. It won't work correctly for a 5.1 sound setup and won't support large numbers of simultaneous sounds in games (only four or so sounds at a time).

Sorry you're having so many difficulties with yours, theBlackman. Mine hasn't been what I had expected either, but I at least got it working.

TRoosevelt_26
9th Mar 2003, 22:18
Ugh. I have the version with the NT disk and the 9x disk, and I had problems like most people wouldn't believe on Win/ME. I had hoped the switch to Win/98 would fix that.

theBlackman
9th Mar 2003, 22:24
Run DXDIAG. Make sure you have the Audigy selected as the sound board in the SOUND page drop down "Play on" menu.

Also use the Creative Diagnostics program that is on the disc. Install it if you have not done so already.

TRoosevelt_26
9th Mar 2003, 23:21
It's selected in DXDIAG.

I did the drivers thing, ran the updated Creative 98 drivers and it still doesn't work.

However, when I start my computer, it looks for drivers for a PCI Management Bus as well as my NIC (PCI Ethernet Adapter).

So far, no drivers for the PCI Management Bus are installed.

Does this have anything to do with my problems?

Munin the Raven
9th Mar 2003, 23:29
That's probably some kind of PCI controller. Without that you might not be able to have multiple PCI slots in use at the same time, or be able to use them at all. In the past when I've had trouble with PCI bridges, magnagers, controllers, etc., I've had all sorts of problems with the PCI slots and other devices like mice and USB ports.

Check out your device manager and see if any devices are disabled or labled with a question mark. You may need some sort of driver or software for your PCI controller that '98 doesn't have by default.

Vanguard
10th Mar 2003, 00:56
Just stopped in for a very quick check of forum messages so I didn't read all the prior messages.

If the speakers are amplified, disconnect the mini-plug from the speakers to the sound card. Turn the volume up. Now touch just one of the connectors on the mini-plug, like the end one. You should hear a hum noise on your amplified speakers (it's you picking up on 60Hz from the power lines in your residence). Tap your finger on and off the connector. You should hear popping noise (due to the change in capacitance). That will test if your external speakers are working (other than hooking them up to a portable cassette or CD player).

Now check the *speaker* output of the sound card by using a pair of headphones. Don't play anything fancy; any .wav file will do, like those used for system sound events.

In Device Manager, check what resources the sound card is using (and obviously check that there isn't an exclamation mark inside a yellow circle, meaning the sound card has a conflict or its driver won't load, or if there is a red "X", which means the device got disabled by you or the PnP detect on Windows startup, often if the drivers aren't usable by the device). Once you know the IRQ and memory addresses, I believe in Windows 9x that you can highlight and then pick an radio option to select to see hardware resources in use. Check that no other device is using the sound card's IRQ. In Windows 2000, Device Manager won't let you reassign IRQs if you have ACPI enabled (which will use the PnP assigned IRQ even if shared by a dozen devices while others go unused). However, Windows 98 doesn't use different HALs (hardware abstract layers) like NT-based Windows, so perhaps you can force the sound card to a specific and free IRQ; try to use IRQ5 first if it is free.

Check if there are SB set commands in autoexec.bat or dosstart.bat. These are only needed for their real-mode DOS driver; these settings might not get used by the Windows drivers for this device. Try commenting them out and reboot to see if they were interferring with the Windows driver.

Back in Device Manager, check if there is a SB16 emulation device listed. This is used ONLY when in DOS mode (when you exit Windows 9x by "restarting" in DOS mode). At one time, I encountered a problem with the protected mode SB driver (i.e., the driver you use within Windows) when this SB16 emulated device was also enabled. I had to disable it. Not remove it (because that might end up with it get redetected and reenabled on a reboot) but to disable it. The device remains defined but also remains disabled. If you don't have any DOS-only games that you have to exit the GUI and play only in real DOS mode, then you don't need the SB16 emulation device at all. That was used back in the SB Live and earlier audio cards. It might not apply for their Audigy series.

Hopefully when you went back to Windows 98, it was a fresh install and you did NOT install it atop of Windows ME. Files and registry settings for an install under Windows ME might have Windows ME specific versions or values which don't apply or are incompatible for an earlier version of the OS.

Gotta go now. Hope you get it working.

theBlackman
10th Mar 2003, 02:23
Is this a DELL?

If so, then you may need to look on the SYSTEM CD for the PCI driver.

My system is home-made, but the MOBO uses a VIA chipset. To function with the all the IRQ ports functioning correctly, I need to load the VIA driver set.

This includes PCI to ISA Bridge controller set, a CPU to PCI Bridge and some others. (AGP-Port router etc.)

If your board is a DELL then it may require a similar Control set like the VIA 4-in-1.

Vanguard
10th Mar 2003, 15:40
"After installing Windows 98, I noticed that sound was not working. I then installed my Sound Blaster Audigy and found that sound still did not work. "

Does that mean your motherboard includes a chipset that supports sound reproduction (i.e., do you have audio outputs on the motherboard at the backside of the case)? If so, Windows 98SE may not have the included drivers to support the sound support on the motherboard and you will need to install the drivers. If you then installed the Audigy sound card, you will need to disable the onboard sound support and install the Audigy drivers.

TRoosevelt_26
17th Mar 2003, 15:58
Yes, it has integrated sound.

I went into the BIOS first thing and disabled onboard sound before installing the Audigy and it still doesn't work.

I did, however, get fed up, uninstall the Oddigy, install my Win/ME (or, as I had hoped, Win/9x) integrated audio drivers, turn sound back on in the BIOS and try it again, and now I have my onboard sound working, which is satisfactory for the moment.

Any 3D sound cards which are known to work with Thief on Windows 98?