PDA

View Full Version : Gripes and suggestions!

NoisyCricket
8th Mar 2003, 15:42
I like this game but it comes with the skimpiest documentation.
I read that different terrain has different defence modifiers ... what are they? Actual numbers or a quantitative list would be good. What units benefit most from different terrain?
Curious : How can archers shoot arrows from inside trees and into trees to hit units hiding there? Dont they get stuck on the branches? Are the arrows effects mitigated both going out and coming in?
Manual doesn't mention anything truly informative about what special units do (Gladiators, etc). How about some stats for each unit - actual numbers that let the player get a better understanding of how to play the game well. Otherwise I feel like playing a dumbed down game.
What if you have two centurions' auras affecting a unit? Are they cumulative? Does the higher ranked centurion affect the unit only? Same question for medics - are they cumulative aura effects?
Also, why dont weak units (centurions, priests and scouts) that aren't meant for fighting stay away from the hordes if they are alone? I keep losing them because it all happens too quickly and its hard to locate them. Why not include an automatic "stay away from the enemy if I'm alone" script for them? Seems easy enough to implement. At least make it optional behavior for the units.
Another question : Do units that have more kills have better fighting strength? I mean, do they have rankings like in other games where they go up from Green, to Novice, to Veteran, to Elite, etc.? Why not implement it, it would give so much more to the game. This is a feature that games like Panzer General implemented very well. Same goes for centurions and other civilizations' leaders.
Yet another couple suggestions that have been floated in the forum already : Why not make the available resolutions go up to 1600x1200 so we can see more terrain and have better control? Most monitors, graphics cards and CPUs nowadays can handle it and it would be VERY useful.

Also, why not make it so that we can change the game speed. God knows how many units I've lost because things happen to fast for me to manage them (especially if I have more than one group fighting in different parts of the map).

Can this all be put in an ingame help menu? Can it be added with a patch? Or will we have to wait for Praetorians 2?

Andrex Aurelius
9th Mar 2003, 02:08
Originally posted by NoisyCricket
I read that different terrain has different defence modifiers ... what are they?
Basically, units firing from higher ground have higher attack.

What units benefit most from different terrain?
An obvious advantage: Hunters in a forest when in Ambush mode are lethal...

Archers standing in water cannot be reached by many of the foot soldiers...

How can archers shoot arrows from inside trees and into trees to hit units hiding there?
Robin Hood managed it. :D

Are the arrows effects mitigated both going out and coming in?
No.

Manual doesn't mention anything truly informative about what special units do (Gladiators, etc).
Every special unit has an advantage which is useful in battle: e.g. Gladiators are dangerous to approach with any fast units like cavalry because they can put them in a net. When netted, you inflict much more damage and can't run away.

What if you have two centurions' auras affecting a unit? Are they cumulative?
No - the maximum bonus is a fixed ceiling as far as I know.

Does the higher ranked centurion affect the unit only?
Yes, and every unit inside the blue ring is boosted.

Same question for medics - are they cumulative aura effects?
The aura from medics is different because they are constantly healing individual units one at a time (as opposed to an overall modifier being given to all troops inside blue ring).

So, two medics is definitely better than one because they heal your army faster.

Also, why dont weak units (centurions, priests and scouts) that aren't meant for fighting stay away from the hordes if they are alone?
Use Protect and select a unit that isn't a front line troop (e.g. archers). This increases the chances of weak units getting accidently killed. These troops are also the fastest to produce and cheap, so it's not a tragedy if they do get killed. :)

I keep losing them because it all happens too quickly and its hard to locate them.
Assign a number to them. My Centurions are always '9', my medics '5' and my socouts '7'. If you use the same numbers for them every time then it's difficult to lose track of them.

Why not include an automatic "stay away from the enemy if I'm alone" script for them? Seems easy enough to implement.
This is a good idea. Maybe next time..

Do units that have more kills have better fighting strength? I mean, do they have rankings like in other games where they go up from Green, to Novice, to Veteran, to Elite, etc.?
Only the Centurions, Officals and Chieftains gain experience. They redistribute this experience to all units under their command (inside the blue ring). This means that you can always have a strong army if you manage to carefully look after just one unit (your leader).

Why not make the available resolutions go up to 1600x1200 so we can see more terrain and have better control? Most monitors, graphics cards and CPUs nowadays can handle it and it would be VERY useful.
This game has a very low spec by today's standards. Low spec means more players... 1024 x 768 will remain a standard for another couple of years.

Also, why not make it so that we can change the game speed. God knows how many units I've lost because things happen to fast for me to manage them (especially if I have more than one group fighting in different parts of the map).
After a while, through practice, you will find that you are able to control all of your troops quite easily. The trick is to number your units. If you have two fights happening at once, number one group '1' and the other '2'. Remember you can also number sub-groups (check your Options).

Hope this was helpful. :)

AA

Mike_B
9th Mar 2003, 08:09
Originally posted by NoisyCricket
Manual doesn't mention anything truly informative about what special units do (Gladiators, etc).

I don't know or you already have the game but in your box - after the manual - is some kind of map with all units of the romans, barbarians and egyptians on. It's explains there special abilities, how they are in defense, attack, range attack etc.