PDA

View Full Version : fellows, im at the crossroads...

amievil?
28th Feb 2003, 16:48
ive come to the crossroads. to my left, is the fact that ive hit a limit in dromed 1 with too many objects... to take the left is to go back the way i came. and delete a buch of stuff. to my right is the same. straight ahead is giving up completely. ive stood here on the edge of temptation, on the verge of destruction. fellow taffers, what do i do?

isnt there a way to up the obj max? i head that doing so can cause problems. basically going over 1800 objects in dromed 1 is a no no. the limit is like 2040. i didnt realize i needed a couple hundred for things that happen in game. i was so close! i needed all of 40 more objects and it would have been done. when i got the error i closed out dromed and nearly vowed to never open it again. for the last week and a half i havent opened it, havent thoght about it. i wanted to enjoy the game again, lately i havent. so ive been playing calendras legacy for a while(the first mission) and im sitting there thinking how did he get it to look so good and be under that object limit at the same time, as huge as it is?

i have over 100 ai in the level. sure i could delete a good many of them, but that would just ruin the thing. i went to work on bottles, furniture, plants, the small stuff that i would take out and still have too many. i guess that the only real solution is to keep deleteing objects until i have enough to finish the level, but it just disgusts me to have to do this. so...

i guess im just looking for some moral support. i had such great visions of my next three levels, but if this one doesnt get done, the rest wont either.

so "should i quit, and fall on my sword.....or light a fire and see who runs or stays and plays the confidence game?" -dave M.

Eshaktaar
28th Feb 2003, 18:28
I'm not sure if this applies to DromEd 1 as well, but there's a command in D2, resize_obj_id_space, which allows increasing the number of objects in a mission. Might be worth a try!

Edit: Ok, I tried it in D1... the command doesn't exist :(

I took a look at Calendra's Cistern (to my knowledge the biggest FM ever done for TDP/Gold). It's got an object count of 1822. Another large mission, Lorgan's Web, has 1863 objects.

Can't you split up your mission in some way? Like, if it's partly linear, can't you put the last part into a small "epilogue" mission?

Schwaa2
28th Feb 2003, 20:09
:D Dark.CFG

Open it up, close to the top is <b>object MAX</b> (T2-should be 1 also)

Just up it a bit.

I've got probably at least 2000 objects, there is one problem I had before (which sucks), but i don't know if its related. i just think Dromed can sense that you're getting close to finishing and it ups the bug count (evil engine, I think that's why its called the dark engine, has nothing to do with creeping around in shadows :)- ).

Objects clone in large quantities. I went in for an almost final playthrough last night. I hit a torch with a fire arrow, it fizzled but was still lit, I hit it again and it went out. All of a sudden there were two torches sitting on top of each other. A two headed apebeast? Oh NO, Attack of the Clones. George Lucas should've made that movie about Dromeders.

Its really hard to see these cloned objects too, you just pick an object you know is doubled and move it, delete the one that stays there, then move your object back, next object. I probably deleted 100 objects and still don't know if I got them all.

The trol points aren't bad (unless you accidentaly delete the one with the links, ambient markers just get you closer to fatal crashes, double Ai's mess up the playability, double lights take more time to render, Animated lightes don't turn off or extinguish, moveable objects leave a trace... Its a real nightmare!:mad:

But like i said, i don't know that its related to using too many objects, but its only happened on my larger time involved projects, for now on I work small!

Caradavin1
28th Feb 2003, 20:52
I went into my config file and put a - in front of the number (I may have added a one as well, I can't remember really). Somewhere someone had mentioned it in a forum or something, because that's where I got it. I use LOTS of objects, and haven't received an error yet.

I know it's vague, but I figured at least knowing there is a way around it (and I haven't had any object probs) would be good. Don't give up, what about all those taffers just waiting for another level to play? (and that empty space in your heart where that level used to be...:rolleyes: )

Cheerio! ;)

Ps - (another vague reference) I got the unduplicate program from one of the well-known thief websites. I believe its for the purpose of making sure you have no clones of objects. I really don't know, and I have not used it yet. Welp, hope it helps in some way.

amievil?
1st Mar 2003, 01:07
Originally posted by Eshaktaar

Can't you split up your mission in some way? Like, if it's partly linear, can't you put the last part into a small "epilogue" mission?

ive already done this, and released the first half. hells motel part 1. imagine that level along with what im currently building. i cant believe that at one point part 1 and 2 were one file!

the reason i have so many ai is becuase this place that ive built is a hotel with alot of guests, lot of guards, and lot of servants. plus another 20 teleported ai which are basically for the end. these ai dont slow down the level like i thought they would. but i think that becuase of the ai, the potential blood splats and things like that can cause alot more in game objects to be needed.

xarax hit this limit with the varx obelisk, but i dont know how many he finally ended up with. i remember him saying he just went back and deleted a bunch of stuff. it pains me to think about it.

ive been through error after error in the past year and half with this thing, if i could just beat this one and have it not crash i could release it. architecture has been done for a good while, its just these last few objects that i need. before the crash, i had 1940 in there. the limit in dromed 1 is 2040 i think, so i figured i was cool. then bam! perhaps tomorrow ill open it back up. maybe this time off has cleared my mind enough to try again. man, 40 objects.

whoever said to decorate your rooms with objects instead of terrain brushes was insane :D the funniest(or worst) part is it was originally supposed to be even bigger than this! what was i thinking. im with you schwaa, from now on its small things :D

Schwaa2
1st Mar 2003, 02:01
Well, don't put a - sign there, that will deffinately crash.

the - numbers are for hiearchy types which start below 0, concrete objects are above. You can add both ways, but you'd have to add alot of new objects to the gamesys to have to add - numbers.

The mission I'm working on has 2521 objects right now and i'm still adding, deleting too |{

Thanx for the tip on that prog Caradavin1 , I'll have to look for it, could be a blessing :)

amievil?
1st Mar 2003, 08:53
Originally posted by Schwaa2
Well, don't put a - sign there, that will deffinately crash.

the - numbers are for hiearchy types which start below 0, concrete objects are above. You can add both ways, but you'd have to add alot of new objects to the gamesys to have to add - numbers.

The mission I'm working on has 2521 objects right now and i'm still adding, deleting too |{

Thanx for the tip on that prog Caradavin1 , I'll have to look for it, could be a blessing :)

so you just upped the number and it is working ok??! hmmm :D

Schwaa2
1st Mar 2003, 11:02
Yeah, I've got quite a few objects :)

Dl'ed that script from Taffer's Tavern. seemed to be working pretty good for awhile, then Drom crashed. But it did help me find alot of numbers and still simplified the process!

amievil?
2nd Mar 2003, 20:06
calendras legacy that i mentioned earlier, has also a custom dark.cfg. the max object on it? 4000. i didnt think he was under 2000 with that :) looks like ill be changing that max limit :D

thanks for your replies, im glad to know im not the only one who has run into this problem before :)

ChristineS
13th Mar 2003, 20:23
Ok, it seems I have reached this limit, too :D

When I change the Dark.cfg to add more objects, must I put them in the zip-file for the Darkloader-version? I'm not sure about this.

R_Soul
13th Mar 2003, 22:26
I think you do have to include it.

Calendra's Legacy and The 7th Crystal did, and in each of the custom dark.cfg files, the object_max had been increased.

ChristineS
14th Mar 2003, 18:01
Thank you :)

amievil?
15th Mar 2003, 17:02
apparently this doesnt work in dromed 1. ive tried putting in 3000 as the max and it gave hundreds of errors about the obj max. i tried then 2400 and still no go. the error it gives is something like:

object system is running on 2048 and max is 2400 bla bla does not compute....

wonder what got changed in the dark engine from t1 to t2....

im gonna try in a little bit to delete enough objects and finish the level. then i will be completely done with the dromed 1/gold editor! i will finish the level just to spite dromed!

amievil?
15th Mar 2003, 21:25
phew! i just got through playing my own level haha! i played it beginning to end and i must say it took me around 2.5 hrs on expert(and i know where everything is) for the love of dromed gods, it works. everything worked for once. i almost fell out of my chair.

but i still need to add a few objects. i need a book, a votrap, and the triggers for the new objectives. and to do the objectives. thats how close ive been for a month or more.

the only problem i could see happening is if a player tries to ghost the level it could crash so if i get this thing darkloader ready that will be in the warning file (i no longer have a readme, its a warning file haha)

wish me luck taffers

R_Soul
17th Mar 2003, 21:45
When line-of-sight wouldn't increase too much, you could try replacing some doorways with arches (minus the doors of course).

Arches can look great if built right, and like all hole-like sructures, can allow for interesting shadow effects.

I know you could realistically only remove a few doorways before there was an archway overkill, but from what you've recently said, a few objects could make a significant difference.

Unless you've used up all you terrain brushes as well....

Also, if you've used omni light points (objects), you could replace them with light brushes, assuming radius and animation don't matter.

amievil?
17th Mar 2003, 22:59
played it again after adding the objects needed....still works. tried my best to break the level by turning the ai against each other so that there were numerous blood splats and such. still works. thank thy builder for the trials that have shaped thee :)

and im starting to like sources and receptrons :D

TRoosevelt_26
17th Mar 2003, 23:23
Kind of late, but deleting objects in your gamesys which aren't used can help, too.

I know because I once had a bunch of "missing" items in my gamesys and was getting the errors you are now until I cleaned it out (knew it couldn't be my mission because there were hardly any objects in it).