PDA

View Full Version : New and with questions!

Kuri
26th Feb 2003, 18:48
Hey all! I just joined the forum this morning - pretty cool place, I must say. :) Thought I'd drop in and say hi, along with asking a couple of questions that have popped into my mind while reading through some of the threads here.

I got Startopia at a half price store; my Dad loaded it up first but decided after the first few tutorials that he didn't have time to play it. So I loaded it on my machine and it's been my all-time favorite game every since! Because of this, I spent all my available free-time playing it and have now, alas, finished all the missions. (Actually, I've played through the whole set about three or four extra times, just to be sure I squeezed out every last drop of Startopian goodness, but that's beside the point) I've made up a couple of sandbox games but I haven't been happy with them. (First one I got slaughtered while attacking an opponent, second one I must have set one of the options wrong because the winner is whoever reaches 400000e, but it won't let either player go above 50000e.) I've seen a couple of articles here and there (mostly at the Startopia Post) about extra levels other people have made, and I'd be really interested in seeing those...I'm also wondering how I could go about making custom levels myself. I also read some things here about playing Startopia online, which sounds really fun! I'd love to have more information on that, too. Mostly what programs to download. If anyone can help me out with this - provide a link, a tutortial, whatever - I'd be very appreciative. :)

Thanks!

Mucky Foot
26th Feb 2003, 23:19
it won't let either player go above 50000e
Build more energy collectors!

To play online, you can use GameSpy Arcade, or just click "Multiplayer" in StarTopia itself.

For modding info, check out the StarTopia Post, and also download the modding guide from www.muckyfoot.com. Also wise to download and examine some of the user mods on StarTopia Post for handy hints.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Kuri
27th Feb 2003, 15:11
Hey, cool, that worked. :) I'm up to 98000e now. Thanks a lot! But is it always this quiet around here? I thought as a newbie to the boards, I'd be pounced on a bit more enthusiastically. :eek: lol. Oh well. I'm just here to hang out and soak up as many tips, hints, and tricks about Startopia as I possibly can. And it's cool to see other Startopia fans, too; I mention the game to my friends and they all ask me: "Well what's that?" *sigh...* You talk to 'em about The Sims and they spaz, but Startopia? Not even so much as an enthusiastic twitch. Hmph.

Rathen
27th Feb 2003, 15:26
Hey there Kuri :)

I'm an oldbie but I've returned after a looong absense - and yes, it used to be pretty slow and quiet around here normally - and by the looks of it it hasn't changed much :s

Well, hey :)

DMA57361
28th Feb 2003, 00:25
Quiet? I'm only quiet cos you can't shout properly using text. ;)

It's linked to Startopias not-great sales. *cough*damnpublishers*cough*

EDIT:
Rathen - Colchester? Cool, I live down the A12 in Witham. Well. Normally. At the moment I'm in uni. Either way just thought I'd point that out. Or something. Yeah. :rolleyes:

MunkeeChum
28th Feb 2003, 21:04
It wasn't quiet earlier on in the week.

it was very noisy in fact. Lots of people running about flaing their arms screaming about "sky-goat".

I tell ya the worst was the one they called their prophet. What a loony :rolleyes:

Kuri
1st Mar 2003, 00:49
Hey, better a sky-goat than a Giant 2-Foot Memau. ;)

Yeah, I noticed things were pretty active recently in all the threads I read...(and yes, being the Startopia geek that I am, I read nearly every thread already posted, mwahaha) I wasn't sure exactly how I would be greeted, lol. So thanks for the warm welcome, and the tips! :D (Not all the message boards I have visted in the past have been as accomodating) I wasn't sure if there was a Startopia community or not, but I figured there probably was since it seems almost every game has a fan-following of some type. Some nuttier than others. *coughtombraidercough*

AlphaOmega
1st Mar 2003, 10:55
Welcome, welcome!

Originally posted by Mucky Foot
For modding info, check out the StarTopia Post, and also download the modding guide from www.muckyfoot.com. Download the posts copy... It's uhhh... Tastier. Yeah. Tastier and faster to download. :)http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia/modguide.v1.3.zip In fact, do everything at the post. Make it your homepage, love it, shower it's webmaster with fan mail. :D

Kuri
1st Mar 2003, 16:35
*laughs* No worries. The Post was the first Startopia fan site I saw, I've loved it ever since. Thought maybe if the mood strikes me I might even submit some fan-stuff. I've already downloaded several things from the Post, although I'm glad they have their own version of the modding .txt file - the one I got from MuckyFoot didn't make too much sense. (May just be me being dense) ^^() I'll be sure to send the owner an e-mail. ;) (I'd make it my homepage too if I didn't have a homepage of my own to keep up with)

Arctic_Wolf
2nd Mar 2003, 00:56
Greetings Kuri from Missouri. I am Arctic Wolf, Legendary Community Elder, The other remaining Elder is Ghyron.

There were three other Elders once, two were lost in the "Age of Passing", SELS and Slink, the other Dracoraptor was killed by Davidg. If you wish to know more about the History of Zeta-Plural please give me an E-mail.

P.S I have a very large ego. :D

Rathen
2nd Mar 2003, 15:34
Oi, Arctic, I'm an elder too, surely? I registered before ye after all :P and got this game day of release.

I also have a large ego :P

Heheh :)

Arctic_Wolf
2nd Mar 2003, 17:45
You forget the "Age of Passing" dear Oldbie. When we left our ancestral home when the eidos crew demolished it and the Ones with Mucky Feet showed us a path to this realm. It was there that I registered 3 months before you so there, Oldbie. :p

I also was first to break the Millenium Barrier, get the highest Post-Count(excluding Mucky Foot since they were 4 people) and naming the Place "Sector Zeta-Plural". I also took a secondary role in the First RPG against the dreaded Kermitty Froggy Thing, created the Best StarTopia Clan ever because it outlasted everyone else and had the best web-site(Excluding the Post because its official and better ;) )

Told you I was the Legendary Elder!

;) :D :rolleyes: :)

MunkeeChum
2nd Mar 2003, 19:21
Hey i've been her for ages too.

But not as long, i have been since the old forums. That means i'm middle aged in forum terms :p

Hand-E-Food
3rd Mar 2003, 00:50
I think I'm young and rowdy.

Kuri
3rd Mar 2003, 14:44
*rofl* I see there's quite a a lot of history I've missed here! (Along with several other things) Is there anything very interesting happening in the Community now?

Hm, seems to be a problem with the Post Modding Guide I downloaded...I opened it up and all I got was this: ì¥Á 7 ø ¿ Е

Any suggestions?

Arctic_Wolf
3rd Mar 2003, 18:53
Try MF's version, I think they are the same.

Rathen
3rd Mar 2003, 18:56
Well then Arctic, I admit defeat.

*trembles in teh corner*

Kuri
3rd Mar 2003, 20:19
Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
Try MF's version, I think they are the same.

That one works fine; I was just told the one from The Post was better. :) btw, the modding guide is very interesting, but what exactly are you supposed to do with it?

Ghyron
3rd Mar 2003, 21:22
You forget the "Age of Passing" dear Oldbie. When we left our ancestral home when the eidos crew demolished it and the Ones with Mucky Feet showed us a path to this realm. It was there that I registered 3 months before you so there, Oldbie. :p

I also was first to break the Millenium Barrier, get the highest Post-Count(excluding Mucky Foot since they were 4 people) and naming the Place "Sector Zeta-Plural". I also took a secondary role in the First RPG against the dreaded Kermitty Froggy Thing, created the Best StarTopia Clan ever because it outlasted everyone else and had the best web-site(Excluding the Post because its official and better ;) )

Told you I was the Legendary Elder!

;) :D :rolleyes: :)

According to legend, the ruins of the old forum are guarded by the feared 404 ERROR bot.

And right now, I'm the only senior member of this forum. Hah.

Arctic_Wolf
3rd Mar 2003, 21:28
Thats because you are a servant of the Dark Lord SPAM.

Ghyron
4th Mar 2003, 02:11
You already said that in a previous post.

I think the name for that is... SPAM!

You can't escape.

Arctic_Wolf
4th Mar 2003, 19:24
Actualy my previous post in this topic is the previous one. So there! :p

Ghyron
4th Mar 2003, 21:25
Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf at 03-04-2003 07:24 PM
Actualy this post is the previous one. So there! :p

Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf at 03-03-2003 09:28 PM

What?

And I said a previous post, not the previous post.

Arctic_Wolf
4th Mar 2003, 22:11
Actualy it's like this...

Originaly Posted by Ghyron
You already said that in a previous post.

I couldn't of because;

Originaly posted by Arctic_Wolf at 03-03-2003 09:32 PM
Don't encourage him, oh great prophet! He is a servant of the Dark Lord SPAM, no wait...HE IS THE DARK LORD SPAM!

Notice the 4 miniute difference! So it is therefore impoissible that I could have said what I said first after what I said second. Because first will always some first and never second otherwise it would be second.

HAH!

Ghyron
5th Mar 2003, 00:56
Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf at 03-04-2003 07:24 PM
Actualy this post is the previous one. So there! :p

Please take note of the word 'this'.

HAH++

Kuri
5th Mar 2003, 16:03
Notice the 4 miniute difference! So it is therefore impoissible that I could have said what I said first after what I said second. Because first will always some first and never second otherwise it would be second.

HAH!

...my brain hurts. :eek:

Master_Ryan
5th Mar 2003, 20:04
Its simple, he reads s-l-o-w-l-y, or it could be type slowly, but then why would it be 4 minutes for us? I THINK HE JUST CALLED ME STUPID!

Arctic_Wolf
5th Mar 2003, 21:39
Originally posted by Ghyron
Please take note of the word 'this'.

HAH++

What this, I see no this :rolleyes:

HAH! +++

MunkeeChum
5th Mar 2003, 22:30
Shablooie!!

Ghyron
6th Mar 2003, 01:20
What this, I see no this :rolleyes:

HAH! +++

The word 'this' was in your post. You said that the post you posted in response to my accusation of your wrongness was the previous post, which it wasn't.

'HAH!+++' is bad syntax. I think you meant to say 'HAH!+2'.

HAH!+3

Hand-E-Food
6th Mar 2003, 01:46
So let me get this curved (straight is too much to ask for)...

1) Spam is advertising or repeated meaningless posts. Does this have a capital S?

2) SPAM is off the topic chatter.

3) Spam™ is a soft pink edible substance of unknown origin or composition.

4) Ghyron makes little to no sense.

Is that all correct?

Arctic_Wolf
6th Mar 2003, 19:16
The word 'this' was in your post. You said that the post you posted in response to my accusation of your wrongness was the previous post, which it wasn't.

I know it wasn't it was the once before it, it was the first. Thats what I've been trying to say!

HAH++

HAH!+++' is bad syntax. I think you meant to say 'HAH!+2.

Oh, so it's not bad syntax when you do it eh? :mad:

EDIT: Ahrg! Bloody quoting thingamajiggy!

Ghyron
6th Mar 2003, 21:21
Oh no. I seem to have made a syntax error of my own.

HAH!++ is correct syntax.

However HAH!+++ is not and should be HAH!+=2 (instead of HAH!+2 as I said before).

Hand-E-Food
6th Mar 2003, 22:08
Hey, you can only add one to HAH! at a time. Only in extreme circumstances would you deserve +2 to your HAH!. By stating HAH!++ everytime, it adds one to you already existing HAH! value.

Your HAH! should be 2 at the moment. When it was initialised, it was 0, but it at least existed, unlike the rest of us.
Then HAH!++ made it 1.
HAH!+++ was a syntax error and was ignored.
HAH!+3 gave you 4, which was highly over rated, but only temporary.
HAH!+=2 makes it 3, but I don't think your arguments are worth a HAH! of 3 yet and it should only be 2.

So:

Arctic_Wolf.HAH! = 2;

Okay, you can shoot me now...

Arctic_Wolf
6th Mar 2003, 22:43
<Pulls out rifle and shoots Hand-E-Food in the foot>

I have not had any experience with C++ that wasn't fair!

Ghyron
7th Mar 2003, 03:59
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
Hey, you can only add one to HAH! at a time. Only in extreme circumstances would you deserve +2 to your HAH!. By stating HAH!++ everytime, it adds one to you already existing HAH! value.

Your HAH! should be 2 at the moment. When it was initialised, it was 0, but it at least existed, unlike the rest of us.
Then HAH!++ made it 1.
HAH!+++ was a syntax error and was ignored.
HAH!+3 gave you 4, which was highly over rated, but only temporary.
HAH!+=2 makes it 3, but I don't think your arguments are worth a HAH! of 3 yet and it should only be 2.

So:

Ghyron.HAH! = 2;

Okay, you can shoot me now...

while (currentTopic != threadTopic)
{
runSpam(gibberish, moreSpam);
currentTopic = "SPAM";
}

Hand-E-Food
7th Mar 2003, 11:49
while (currrentTopic == "SPAM")
{
post = findPost(moreSpam);
eat(post);
say("Yum!");
}

I'll stop being a geek now.

Kuri
10th Mar 2003, 01:37
...this is what I get for starting a new thread. T.T I think my point--if I ever had a point--has officially been lost now. ^^() Heehee. On the bright side, at least it was lost with some flare.

Hand-E-Food
10th Mar 2003, 10:26
You'll find that around here.

Arctic_Wolf
10th Mar 2003, 20:32
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
You'll find that around here.

you forgot the words 'happening a lot', which should be between that and around.

Kuri
12th Mar 2003, 17:07
*snickers* Busted by Grammar Police! (A force which I should probably join, seeing as how I'm always nitpicking websites and sentences...mwah)

kool_kats_rule
12th Mar 2003, 20:15
some people round here have terrible spelling and grammar

Arctic_Wolf
12th Mar 2003, 22:42
Kool_Kats, where is the full-stop at the end of that sentance? :D All sentance must end with either a full-stop(.), question-mark(?) or exclamation-mark(!).

Edit: put a 'h' in the second word, 'were' to make it to 'where' Thankyou DMA for pointing that out.

DMA57361
12th Mar 2003, 22:54
Arctic_Wolf, it would seem that you mis-spelled the word "where" near the start of that first sentance. You also dropped the s from the word "sentances" near the beginning of the second sentance. :p

Arctic_Wolf
12th Mar 2003, 22:58
Oh my! I'll just go and correct that. Though 'All Sentance' sounds funny so I'll leave it in. :)

DMA57361
12th Mar 2003, 23:01
All your sentance are belong to us.

:D :D

Arctic_Wolf
12th Mar 2003, 23:27
All your grammer are belong to me!

:D

Hand-E-Food
13th Mar 2003, 00:57
Now this I never saw coming. The Grammar War has begun!!!

Ghyron
13th Mar 2003, 01:18
my gr4mm4r 15 m0r3 |337 7|-|4n j00rZ 15 50 |-|4|-|4|-|4

Hand-E-Food
13th Mar 2003, 02:31
`/0u12 9124|\/||\/|312 15 91233|< |\|07 |337

DMA57361
13th Mar 2003, 03:51
I hate L337 speak.

Hand-E-Food
13th Mar 2003, 04:35
Me too. It makes a handy password though.

DMA57361
13th Mar 2003, 05:00
Fair enough.

I don't really know my passwords. I can hit the keys and get the desired result without thinking. I have to acutally think hard to remember what they are thou.

The PIN codes on my bank cards are noy recorded in my head as numbers - they're key-hits that make shapes I remember. I honestly couldn't get them right first time without having a key-pad in front of me . . .

Hand-E-Food
13th Mar 2003, 05:16
I'm the same. Then some bastard gave me another PIN almost identical to my other one.

Kuri
13th Mar 2003, 18:02
I only like l337 speak in my comics, (http://www.megatokyo.com) everywhere else it's just kind of lame. I'm not exactly sure why people go to so much trouble to use it...

Oooh, a Grammar War! What fun. XD

MunkeeChum
13th Mar 2003, 19:14
g|-|`/120/\/ ! \/\/3 /\/\|_|57 /\/\4|<3 7|-|353 f00|_5 |234|_153
7|-|47 |_337 15 7|-|3 b357 f0|2/\/\ 0f (0/\/\/\/\|_|/\/1(4710/\/ !

Hey I like that comic. I just read the first 180 strips :)

Sephiroth110
13th Mar 2003, 20:31
i feel left out, i was at the old forums before the game came out, i was there for the pastery wars!!!! and i have been studing ghyron and his evil ways, that has to count for something. and everyone likes me cause i don't know grammer and therefore can't correct people. i have now proclaimed my self a Semi-Elder!!! all bow to the Semi-Elder! or maybe a 1337 Elder... nah.

Arctic_Wolf
14th Mar 2003, 01:24
For starters a sentance should only have 1 punctuation mark(.,!,?) ending it, unless it is 3 full-stops in a row (...) which signifies a pause.

Also something scared me terribly today...I could read Ghyron's sentance!

All you L337 speak are belong to Ghyron!

Edit: I forgot my sig...and when are you going to notice it and tell me what you think? I spent a whole 2.43 seconds thinking it up.

Hand-E-Food
14th Mar 2003, 02:25
At this rate we may as well make the MS Word Spelling and Grammar checker a requirement of all posts.

DMA57361
14th Mar 2003, 12:38
Only if they tune the thing to the English dictionary.

Not "English (US)" or whatever it's call. That's what my school had and it kept correcting "Colour", "Grey" and other words to the wrong spelling! So very annoying!

Hand-E-Food
15th Mar 2003, 01:14
And the compulsive use of z instead of s.

MunkeeChum
15th Mar 2003, 02:40
That gets me fruztrated.

Ghyron
15th Mar 2003, 04:19
Did you know that there are over four distinct dialects of 1337 5p34k?

kool_kats_rule
15th Mar 2003, 12:35
Kool_Kats, where is the full-stop at the end of that sentance? :D All sentance must end with either a full-stop(.), question-mark(?) or exclamation-mark(!).

Fine then. I'll just quietly point out that sentence is spelt 'sentence'.

Arctic_Wolf
15th Mar 2003, 13:02
May I point out this is a grammer war not a spelling war. :D

MunkeeChum
15th Mar 2003, 14:17
Did you know that there are over four distinct dialects of 1337 5p34k?

3/\/|_1g|-|73/\/ |_|5 |\/|4573|2............

kool_kats_rule
16th Mar 2003, 08:36
May I point out this is a grammer war not a spelling war. :D

The two things go together.

Sunrise
16th Mar 2003, 12:39
Yeah. Spelling is catergorized under grammer.

Arctic_Wolf
16th Mar 2003, 13:14
Incorrect! Its actualy Spelling and Grammer.

MunkeeChum
16th Mar 2003, 15:51
Incorrect! Its actualy Spelling and Grammer.

ALERT!

ALERT!

Only one 'L' in actually? You are slipping Arctic.....

Originally posted by Sunrise
Yeah. Spelling is catergorized under grammer.

And well, as for you, the incorrect spelling of categorised has to be noted. Your Americanesque use of a 'z' will not be tolerated.

L Croft
16th Mar 2003, 16:31
Edit: I forgot my sig...and when are you going to notice it and tell me what you think? I spent a whole 2.43 seconds thinking it up.
I like it very much :) and that dog is soo cute :)
and who wants to translate all the 1337 5p34k for me?

Sunrise
16th Mar 2003, 17:55
And well, as for you, the incorrect spelling of categorised has to be noted. Your Americanesque use of a 'z' will not be tolerated. [/B]

As Medical Gray once told me in a drunken stupor via a PM entitiled "rack orf".

"GET OFF MY CASE :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: "

I'm only 11

Arctic_Wolf
16th Mar 2003, 17:59
ha ha!

kool_kats_rule
16th Mar 2003, 18:22
Originally posted by Sunrise
As Medical Gray once told me in a drunken stupor via a PM entitiled "rack orf".

Should I tell him it's grey not gray?

Sunrise
16th Mar 2003, 19:55
<Sunrise pulls his special laser out of his pocket and sets it to "Shut your mouth">

JSWY
17th Mar 2003, 00:04
<Trips over door-frame>

Oh damn, I'm really late again, these threads don't stay on topic like they used to.

Overmind
17th Mar 2003, 14:27
If there is going to be a grammar and spelling war, then I would like to take part.

Try spelling 'antidisestablishmentarianism' right without copying and pasting.

Yes, it's a real word. Look it up on a search engine if you do not believe me.

I like the idea of a spellchecker for the forums. Go fro it!

Ghyron
17th Mar 2003, 14:38
There, I spelled it.

Originally posted by Overmind
Go fro it!

Do I detect a misspelling?

Overmind
17th Mar 2003, 14:42
Yes, but an intentional one.

It was a sad attempt at humour, meaning to illustrate the need for a spellchecker in the forums.

Antidisestablishmentarianism really is a real word. Check it out!

MunkeeChum
17th Mar 2003, 17:04
It means something along the lines of:

A rebellion against the disestablishment of the established church.

Sunrise
17th Mar 2003, 20:34
antdistablishmentaranism

See. :) It isn't that hard to spell :D

Master_Ryan
18th Mar 2003, 23:53
Now here comes the hard part, SAY IT!

Sunrise
19th Mar 2003, 06:59
"antidisestablishmentarianism" :D

DMA57361
19th Mar 2003, 12:09
My mate had a thing about that word. He spent most of school year trying to viably use it in an English essay for the hell of it.

It's very easy to say.

Something along the lines of:

"Anti-Dis-Establish-Ment-Tear-Re-En-Ism"

Overmind
19th Mar 2003, 12:09
Tsk Tsk!!! You are all copying and pasting, admit it!

You keep forgetting... Antidisestablishmentarianism has a capital A when at the start of a sentence...

Well observed, Munkeechum, I can see you are a scholar.

L Croft
19th Mar 2003, 13:47
I can say Antidisestablishmentarianism but i can't spell it (Isn't copy and paste wonderful?) :p

Overmind
19th Mar 2003, 14:26
Ms. Croft, you are becoming something of a regular in these forums. Take my advice- buy StarTopia!!!!

Thank you.

L Croft
19th Mar 2003, 14:31
why do I need two copies?

Overmind
19th Mar 2003, 14:35
You own it?

Play it to death! Shower Mucky Foot with fan mail! Shamelessly promote it! And do every other thing you can think of that would benefit the game in the slightest!

Live on the Gamespy channel! Make levels and mods!

Err... and so on...

L Croft
19th Mar 2003, 18:59
errrr ok :p

Kuri
19th Mar 2003, 20:33
Oy...*hides*

I just HAD to make a thread. I just HAD to!

DMA57361
19th Mar 2003, 20:44
Yes Kuri. All this spam is your fault. ;)

Master_Ryan
21st Mar 2003, 23:23
What this Kuri Huh? What Is That? ITS SPAM! DONT YOU SPAM ON MY FORUMS! Bad Kuri! Bad! Go Outside!

oh wait, thats what i yell at my dog...

kool_kats_rule
22nd Mar 2003, 09:22
Originally posted by Overmind
Well observed, Munkeechum, I can see you are a scholar.

I knew that too....

MunkeeChum
22nd Mar 2003, 09:27
But I said it first.....

Kuri
25th Mar 2003, 17:31
Originally posted by Master_Ryan
What this Kuri Huh? What Is That? ITS SPAM! DONT YOU SPAM ON MY FORUMS! Bad Kuri! Bad! Go Outside!

oh wait, thats what i yell at my dog...

*sad puppy face*

MunkeeChum
25th Mar 2003, 21:13
There there.

Have a biscuit.

Kuri
26th Mar 2003, 16:05
*happy puppy face*