PDA

View Full Version : Getting Archers into my Tower

Bluestar
25th Feb 2003, 02:22
Hello

My name is Bluestar, and I am a idiot.

Downloaded the demo, * love the aspects of the game *, but after having my butt handed to me 5 times by the Gauls at the last town, I admit I need help.

I have deployed my forces to the northern route and the high ground just South East. Melee in front, Archers on the high ground, Spearmen, supporting the Cannon fodder in the front ranks. Calvary on both flanks in the southern route.

I have built a tower to the Northern route with both sides covered by melee then archers with reserve Melee behind them.

But I have yet to figure out how to " man " the tower, I have searched all the " actions " "abilities" and special formations?

For us poor, ignorant players could someone kindly enlighten me to how to man the towers with archers or spearmen?

thank you and

LONG LIVE ROME ! ! !

* sorry, pretty sad but I couldn't resist * ;)

thanks again

blue

Cicero
25th Feb 2003, 05:42
Just select the archers (left click), then point mouse to the base of the tower, it's in some kind of portal, then the icon (which means get the hell inside) comes out, then click on that.

Make sure that the towers are in good or perfect condition. They get damaged too by attacks, in which case your archers may not get in, or if they are inside then they cant shoot arrows well. If theres damage to towers, simply get your auxilliary troops to repair them fast.

You'll know if there's damage when some windows are shut off and your archers cant be seen in the windows, or when the towers shorten in height.

Enemy catapults can throw fire or rocks at your towers from far distances that you even wont notice. Do the same for him.

Random
25th Feb 2003, 13:49
Like Cicero said, it's important to click the base of the tower. That's the problem I had; I was clicking the top of it, but it wasn't registering.

Bluestar
25th Feb 2003, 21:57
* Slowly a Light begins to burn brightly above Bluestar's Head *

I was pointing at the middle to top of the tower, not at it's baseline.

THANKS ! ! ! for the help. :) :)

blue

Thomas
4th Mar 2003, 10:36
Witch Unit is the best to have in the tower??? is it archers?

Andrex Aurelius
4th Mar 2003, 10:40
Originally posted by Thomas
Witch Unit is the best to have in the tower??? is it archers?

Yes - but if you place a different type in (like Auxillary Infantry or Slaves), they will drop rocks on anyone who passes by, which provides an amusing headache and delay for your enemies. :D

Thomas
4th Mar 2003, 11:45
What if I use Preatorians in the tower??? isnt they better?

Andrex Aurelius
4th Mar 2003, 14:41
Originally posted by Thomas
What if I use Preatorians in the tower??? isnt they better?

It depends what you want. If you put archers in they cause alot of damage to approaching troops but they die quickly once the tower is destroyed.

If you put weak troops like Aux Troops in then you have a cheap rock dropping defence which is useless against archers and siege weapons but good against other units attacking the base of the tower. Also, if you have Aux Troops in towers they are very useful for putting out fires during an attack but they have to be covered by other units.

If you put Praetorians in your tower then they will also drop rocks and have the additional bonus of giving your enemy a nasty fright when they come out...

.. but normally you wouldn't want to waste a unit of Praetorians by leaving them in a tower. It would (usually) be wiser to send them to deal with the threat. But it all depends on the situation you are in.

plastikman
4th Mar 2003, 17:48
The best units to put in the towers are the nubian archers if you can spare the unit cost. They have the longest range of all the archers in the game and the height of the tower can provide a little boost too. If you want to be really evil, set them to poison arrows before you place them in the tower

Thomas
5th Mar 2003, 14:46
Thx!!! :D

DTRY
9th Mar 2003, 16:28
Originally posted by Andrex Aurelius
Yes - but if you place a different type in (like Auxillary Infantry or Slaves), they will drop rocks on anyone who passes by, which provides an amusing headache and delay for your enemies. :D Archers also drop rocks on enemies too. So I suggest using them whenever possible.