PDA

View Full Version : What’s the most realistic game you’ve ever played….?

nycgamer
23rd Feb 2003, 18:56
… and by realistic, I’m talking about the story, graphics, dialogue, sounds, situations, etc.

Quall
23rd Feb 2003, 20:55
the Sims, j/k.

I'd say Ghost Recon.
Almost all of the tom clancy fps games are the most realistic.

Reaperbot
24th Feb 2003, 03:27
Awwww! definitely Quake!

I'm gonna go rocket jumping now.

harry_tippers_love_child
24th Feb 2003, 11:43
TimeSplitters2 is the most realistic game I have ever played, being an intergalactic bounty hunter crystal retrieving ass-kicking alien-munching bald guy.

harry_tippers_love_child
24th Feb 2003, 11:48
As a follow up it is my opion that generally games are not realistic. They might be getting to look more and more like films, but then again films, in general, are not realistic. Nor are Tom Clancy books. This is probably why they sell so well.

I have nothing against games/books/movies like this, but come on. Realistic? Photo-realistic perhaps, but until they invent the all-in-one bodysuit controller with "Sweat-o-Vision"(TM) and "Pain-o-Rama"TM, the scope of realism remains pretty limited. Does anybody remember the ill-fated flirtation the games world had with "Virtual Reality" back in the mid 90's? Exactly. Methinks the future lies not in recreating realism per se, (I don't think anyone wants to end up playing games looking like the bastard offspring of The Lawnmower Man and a patient undergoing complicated neuro-surgery as those kerrrrazzeee VR guys thought evidently we did) but in making an immersive experience in which it is possible to suspend disbelief even whilst holding a joypad / mouse / keyboard... or am I just being over-analytical... :rolleyes: hee hee

PS MS Flight Simulator is one of possibly a few exceptions, but I consider it to be exempt from this discussion on the grounds that it is absolutely no fun at all... ;)

nycgamer
24th Feb 2003, 19:45
I see your point. Truth is, I've never read a Tom Clancy novel in my life. However, apon having acquired both Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell, I can honestly say this man has inspired some of the most realistic games to date, from a graphical and situational standpoint.

I highly recommend that you go and rent a copy of Splinter Cell for PC (or whatever platform you're on) and then come back and tell me whether-or-not you think games can be realistic. The lighting effects in that game alone more closely mimic real life than just about anything I've seen (with the possible exception of the Resident Evil series on Gamecube).

Rare
25th Feb 2003, 01:21
I agree that until they 'put you behind a gun/plane/car/boat, the gaming industry will not be so realistic as the real thing (and probly will not do so. can you imagin playing co-op with a frien that when you lok over to him he looks real, like your looking at him in real life. Then having him shot down by an enemie?) this would be very tramatic for alot of people unless they are trained in the real army (or my personal favorite, The Marines)

The most realisic game that I can think of is 'Black Hawk Down' from Novalogic.

Reaperbot
25th Feb 2003, 03:23
How is Timesplitters 2 the most realistic game you have ever played?

There's Shrink, strength, MONKEYS, futuristic stuff.
Y'know!

The most realistic game I HAVE really played is Battlefield 1942!
Nothing silly in that.

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 09:26
Like i said, TimeSplitters2 is the most realistic game I have ever played because I am an intergalactic ass-kicking alien munching crystal grabbing Dam Busting monkey flaying super double hard-ass bald dude. But only on Sundays.

This may or may not be the truth. You decide.

Hank Nova
25th Feb 2003, 11:18
I'd have to say defender

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 11:30
Originally posted by Hank Nova
I'd have to say defender

Bit young for that aren't you!!! ;);)??

Hank Nova
25th Feb 2003, 11:37
yeh but ive played it alot cos my dad was proud and wouldnt let us buy a brand new mega drive or N64 so we had to play on the good old atari instead. We got to play all the classics like Defender, tresure island dizzy and Monkey Island. which i enjoyed very much until we got a playstation and a new computer.

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 11:40
Dizzy? Was that the little egg-dude??? My brother used to love those games!

Vive l'Amstrad CPC 464!!!

Hank Nova
25th Feb 2003, 11:42
Yeah the little egg that could run about, usually into traps when i was playing.

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 13:33
MMM, this thread has lots to do with TS2...

Shame on you :D

Century Bot
25th Feb 2003, 15:17
Originally posted by nycgamer
… and by realistic, I’m talking about the story, graphics, dialogue, sounds, situations, etc.

Hurdy Gurdy (seriously) - anyone else played it.

Getaway (a close 2nd) - Living and working in London, I couldn't believe my eyes when the second mission had me setting fire to a bar that is litrally 60 second from my office.

GT3 must be up there too.

HTLC - we're on the community forum now - there's more to life than TS2 (or so I'm told).

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 15:23
Originally posted by Century Bot
HTLC - we're on the community forum now - there's more to life than TS2 (or so I'm told).

I'm a firm exponent of the virtues of the community forum, I just know that no-one else is!!! As soon as this thread gets bumped down from the main forum, no-one will post in it - you mark my words!! :)

Little_Devil
25th Feb 2003, 17:04
Originally posted by Hank Nova
We got to play all the classics like Defender, tresure island dizzy and Monkey Island.

Yup, Monkey island. The most realistic of them all. Excuse me. I have to go scrape the barnacles of my three headed monkeys pegleg and get some grog for my ghost pirate boyfriend.

harry_tippers_love_child
26th Feb 2003, 10:49
Originally posted by Little_Devil
Yup, Monkey island. The most realistic of them all. Excuse me. I have to go scrape the barnacles of my three headed monkeys pegleg and get some grog for my ghost pirate boyfriend.

You too? I thought I was the only one.

nycgamer
26th Feb 2003, 20:02
Originally posted by Century Bot
Hurdy Gurdy (seriously) - anyone else played it.

Getaway (a close 2nd) - Living and working in London, I couldn't believe my eyes when the second mission had me setting fire to a bar that is litrally 60 second from my office.

No to 'Hurdy Gurdy' - what is it? Try Splinter Cell - for 3rd person stealth action, it beats MGS2 and Hitman 2 for realism and character movement/control (IMO).

As for the Getaway, my girlfriend used to live in London and she recognized many of the places I had to drive through on some of the missions. I've never been there, but I feel like I've taken a 'virtual tour'!

MapMaker Monkey
28th Feb 2003, 17:34
Originally posted by harry_tippers_love_child
MMM, this thread has lots to do with TS2...

Shame on you :D

Dizzy Egg in TS2? Where, where!? Let me 'ave 'im! :D

http://www.olivertwins.com/images/dizzy_ani.gif

nycgamer
28th Feb 2003, 20:40
One thing I must say for TS1 and 2 ~ more FPS games should follow suit and allow you to create your own arenas. I just love that! My only complaint is that making one or two really good maps pretty much uses up all the memory storage. I like big, complex arenas and I want to be able to construct more than just one or two.

Century Bot, here's some Splinter Cell screens (http://www.splintercell.com/us/), but I'm going to try and find some better ones for you ~ these ones don't show off any of the outdoor scenes, which are so well done. Actually, they didn't pick the best indoor screens either. Maybe they wanted to keep it a surprise for when you actually play the game, I dunno.

Munin the Raven
2nd Mar 2003, 22:17
America's Army and any of the titles in the Falcon flight simulator series are probably the most realistic games I've played in terms of their mechanics.

One thing I must say for TS1 and 2 ~ more FPS games should follow suit and allow you to create your own arenas. I just love that! My only complaint is that making one or two really good maps pretty much uses up all the memory storage.

Play more PC games.;) Most first person PC games have had publicly released editors/renderer interfaces/construction sets for several years now. Morrowind, Half-Life, and Thief are just a few of the more recent titles, and classic games like Doom and the early Quake titles were no strangers to custom maps. Most PC games actually ship with editors now. And best of all, unlike with a console you aren't limited as to what you can change. You can insert graphics from other games or make your own, add your own sound effects and music, and add your own introduction videos, or if you're more daring, play with the physics or AI sub-engines. Working space is nearly unlimited, too. The only things that can't be changed even by the more ambitious designers are the source codes.

The future is going to see console and PC games converging into one medium, and one of the more powerful effects of this technology trend is going to be that console games will become more easily modified.:) TimeSplitters 2 is just the begining.

Ruger
5th Mar 2003, 00:45
Day of Defeat half-life mod. And that space station game for the C=64. Anyone know that game? I will give a shiny dime to the first person who can find it for me. Since this is a TS2 forum and all......Time Splitters is cool.....

LithiumTS2
30th Mar 2003, 19:43
[quote]can you imagin playing co-op with a frien that when you lok over to him he looks real, like your looking at him in real life. Then having him shot down by an enemie?) this would be very tramatic for alot of people unless they are trained in the real army (or my ersonal favorite, The Marines) [/qoute]
i wouldnt cry when one of my mates got shot in VR id laugh and stick my tongue out
they just would allow you to create a chracter that looks nothing like you

DaveT
13th Apr 2003, 19:31
the most realistic game must be the getaway, because it has the most realistic story line going, all the cars are from real life, and they have took time to map out around 3 quaters of london, (not saying anything about ts2, just because it is THE BEST FPS GOING!) :D

harry_tippers_love_child
15th Apr 2003, 16:44
Originally posted by DaveT
the most realistic game must be the getaway, because it has the most realistic story line going, all the cars are from real life, and they have took time to map out around 3 quaters of london, (not saying anything about ts2, just because it is THE BEST FPS GOING!) :D

If that's 3/4 of London, someone did a fine job of shrinking our nation's capital from the sprawling, un-navigable hell-hole that it is now into a managable and game-sized cityscape. Must've been while i wasn't looking.

As for realistic... well, yeah I suppose if your idea of reality is the inside of Guy Ritchie's mockerney-styleeee head... which, it ain't.

Goodnight.

PS the most realistic game in the world is Tetris.

Century Bot
15th Apr 2003, 16:52
Do you get down here often?

I suppose to a Jordy London must seem awfully big!

harry_tippers_love_child
16th Apr 2003, 07:14
I'm not a Geordie, I just happen to be living here...

I'm not against london or Londoners per se (some of my best friends are Londoners... hee hee) it's just it is a little messy. A bit of Haussmann-esque town planning back in the 19th century could have sorted that out for you all, just a shame the peasants in this country never quite managed to overthrow the monarchy and scare the bejeses out of the fat cats...

Believe me, it makes sense.

Tetris. Not war.

Miaow.:rolleyes:

DrkSnpr14
25th Apr 2003, 14:41
Splinter Cell for shure. The graphics, physics, sound, bullets you can take. It's all to real. But dont forget Gran turismo 3. They dont call it the reall driving simulator for nothing!:cool: