PDA

View Full Version : Got the multiplayer demo

jdp311
20th Feb 2003, 04:02
I got it off Fileplanet. However, when I click on multiplayer there are no games listed which means either there's no one playing yet or something is set wrong and it's not updating the list.

Anyway, I played against the computer in the Crossroads map (the one that comes with Multiplayer demo) and it kicked my ass, twice. I apparently will need to figure out how to play before I beat any humans, although the computer is pretty good. They outflank you, shoot at you from islands and ambush you. Bastards.

If anyone fully understands the whole town capture thing please post it. Is it better to have more than one town? How do you get honor points? Where is the number of honor points you have displayed? How much better are Praetorians than regular leggionaires?

- J

Mike_B
20th Feb 2003, 07:05
GRRR can't download it, have to wait in a line. Why exactly is Eidos giving this to fileplanet exclusive?

soverign
20th Feb 2003, 13:10
I havent played the demo, but i think its best to have lots of villages (B/C u can produce more units faster?)

jdp311
20th Feb 2003, 16:22
Well see having more villagers would seem better but in practice it's not because you only have 1 commander (I think) that can recruit and he can only recruit from 1 village at a time and it takes a long time to recruit soldiers (30 secs for archers, 60 secs for soldiers, 90 secs for cavalry, etc) so a village doesn't get used up very quickly at all.

So I just build up one village, start recruiting from it, take another village, fortify it and then stop since taking more villages will spread me to thin.

I did manage to beat the computer on easy yesterday but on normal I still lose as they seem to have more troops and it controls them much better than I control mine.

Spaceknight
20th Feb 2003, 17:33
Jdp311

It's best to capture as many towns as possible.

You need to promote infantry to get a centurian to take over a town.

jdp311
20th Feb 2003, 20:27
So you can have more than one recruiter person at a time, which explains why I was losing. I didn't notice a promote button but I'll check when I get to play again. Thanks.

Twitten
21st Feb 2003, 13:41
You can have a maximum of 1 officer (recruiter) per 100 unit control points you have. You can get 2 villages at the beginning of the game and another one soon after this if you create a few more troops.

I don't know exactly how the control points work (you can see them by holding the SHIFT key down during the game) but there is some info in the readme file in the game directory.

I_Doctor
21st Feb 2003, 18:25
Probably should start a new thread, but it looks like Twitten knows the answers to my questions, so here goes. I just got the single player demo, and messed with it for a while. (Learned to scout the forest after an Aux Inf and Aux Archers got completely wiped out by ambushing barbarians.)

How do you find out how many Unit Control points you have? I couldn't find that number anywhere on my in game GUI.

How do you get a recruiter out of a town? Sometimes after I get a garrison up at a town my General walks in, instead of the recently promoted Centurion from my Aux inf that I wanted to use.

Is there a way to build just a partial cohort from a town? I wanted to be able to do this because I had a Cohort of 9/30 Legonaires that I just wanted to recruit replacements for.

What else is the General good for? I know Recruiting, and Stamina boost, but is there anything else?

Should you use your General in Combat? I have been keeping him back, but it looks like he can get experience points, and couldn't figure out if he got that from just leading, or he had to fight.

Thanks in advance

Doctor

Twitten
21st Feb 2003, 20:11
Unfortunately, I'm far from having all the answers, but here's what I know (or suspect) :

- You can find out how many control point you have/are using by holding the SHIFT key down during the game. It will display a small box in the upper left corner of the screen, with many usefull infos in it.

- You can remove an officer from a town in the same way you remove archers from a tower : you have an "exit town" (or tower) button in the lower right corner of the order window (lower right of the screen). I think any officer near (very close to) a controlled town will enter it automatically.

- From what I know, you cannot build a partial unit, you have to wait for your town to generate more villagers.

- I think the officer you have at the begining of the game and the ones you promote later on are strictly the same, but I may be wrong on this. Anyway, they are useful in battle for their special abilities (stamina regen, mirage... depending on your civilisation) and the fact that they are tough to kill when experienced (If I remember correctly, levels give them more stamina and hit points).

On a side note, you cannot have many officiers (5 max, more often 3 or 4), and I'm usually keeping all of them in towns to generate more troops.

Edit : I forgot a very important point, in the multiplayer demo, the starting towns have a 500 people capacity and the other ones have only 200, except for the central one which has 600. Getting and holding the central town will bring you the victory in any long battle.

Mike_B
21st Feb 2003, 21:34
Originally posted by Twitten
- You can find out how many control point you have/are using by holding the SHIFT key down during the game. It will display a small box in the upper left corner of the screen, with many usefull infos in it.

If you go to options/game options you can also set it so that it will always be displayed.

I_Doctor
21st Feb 2003, 22:06
Thanks for the answers.

Another question:

What affects the control/unit points, or how do you get more or less? It's not like you are building farms/supplydepots/towers etc. that give you more supply. What exactly does this number reflect?

Thanks

Doctor

Twitten
21st Feb 2003, 22:37
The unit control points is a fixed amount, reprenting the maximum number of units you can have at a time (Auxilliaries count for 30, Praetorians for 16 and so on up to the maximum of 500).

As for the troop control points (second number), I really have no clue about it (gotta keep an eye on it during my next few battles).

soverign
22nd Feb 2003, 15:58
jdp311 wrote:
Anyway, I played against the computer in the Crossroads map (the one that comes with Multiplayer demo) and it kicked my ass, twice. I apparently will need to figure out how to play before I beat any humans, although the computer is pretty good. They outflank you, shoot at you from islands and ambush you. Bastards.

Sounds like there is good AI:)