PDA

View Full Version : A (very) Brief History of the Praetorian Guard

John Carter
19th Feb 2003, 00:25
For folks who are maybe wondering what the name of this game is all about;

The Praetorian Guard (http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Praetoriani.html)

Although the game spans several centuries in terms of unit types and other details, and is not strictly historically accurate by "grognard" wargaming standards, nor meant to be, the original form of the Praetorian guard closely ties in with the timeframe and subject matter of this game in particular.

PS-really like the demo! I've been waiting for a good Roman game for 10 years, since the last one, whose name I now forget.

RedLegg
19th Feb 2003, 05:34
Could it be "Caesar" <sic> or SPQR? Both were excellent.

John Carter
19th Feb 2003, 05:48
"Ceaser", I think. Heard of SPQR but never played it (or maybe the other way around). The one I am thinking of had both a tactical and grand strategic component, as well as a sort of silly gladiatorial and hippodrome race sequence.

David
26th Feb 2003, 05:17
guys, what is SPQR? :(

John Carter
27th Feb 2003, 06:14
"Senatus Populus Que Romanum", or the "Senate and People of Rome" (I think, my latin ain't much).

The letters appeared primarily, if I recall correctly, on the crosspiece of Roman legionary standards, such as the Legion's Eagle.

David
27th Feb 2003, 06:30
ohh right. how can i be so fool to firget it. well but thanks alot mate:)

John Carter
27th Feb 2003, 06:40
You're welcome! :)

Bigfuzz19
17th Mar 2003, 22:38
For folks who are maybe wondering what the name of this game is all about;

^ Good site...lots of info

Vespasian
27th Mar 2004, 07:58
hav any of u played centurion: the defender of rome or ambitions of ceaser?