PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Sequels

iambasho777
6th Jun 2012, 23:56
As far as I know, sequels have been made for 4, 7, 10, 12, and 13. Of the twelve major titles (sorry, I don't count the mmos here because of the ability to add content easily) this leaves 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9. I believe that the stories for 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8 are wrapped up well enough that making a sequel would be like making the after years for 4: just pure fanservice. I cannot personally speak for 6, as I have yet to complete it (I have all characters, I just need to get around to entering kefkas tower lol). However, 9 leaves some questions with me I would like to be answered, and I think they could warrant a short sequel.

*MAJOR SPOILERS for the end of FFIX, read at your own risk*

Who/what exactly was the final boss? Did any of the denizens of Terra survive? How did Zidane escape the Iifa Tree and make it back to Alexandria with no ship, no airship, and no fossil roo tunnel, assuming the golden chocobo is non-canon? What happened to Kuja? And finally, will Kuja learn how to put on pants? I mean seriously, it's hard to see a dude in a thong as a villian

PAT2K9
7th Jun 2012, 00:12
I would love to see additional content for FF VI

member_10803141
7th Jun 2012, 10:14
VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI VI

Then some more VI

iambasho777
7th Jun 2012, 10:24
So you both answered the first question, but what about the second? What makes FFVI need a sequel? Like I said, it is the only one I haven't played through the end of, so I don't know if there are loose ends or not. Or do you just want them to make an After Yearsish game where the sequel was just to extend that world, and wasn't really needed to answer anything about the original?

MagiusNecros
7th Jun 2012, 10:37
Rather have a FFVI Prequel.

FFVI: First War of the Magi

Won't be made though. Good ideas are shunned upon.

Jhemperly
6th Jul 2012, 12:42
I personally believe FFVIII needed a sequel.

SPOILERS:

At the very end under a world in time compression, and a death to a sorceress Ultimecia there are many unanswered questions... Do they return to their own time? Is the world left in a time compressed state? And if time is compressed what about Ultimecia as a young sorceress where did she become the evil that she became...? And what of Ellone and Laguna and the others? Their fate is never made clear to me... I just feel there is a lot more that could be answered...

YoshiKatYoko
6th Jul 2012, 12:46
XII, XIII-2, X-2, VIII and Tactics: WOTL

member_10628951
6th Jul 2012, 12:59
^^^ No to most of those XIII and XII already had "sequels". VIII wrapped up nicely and Tactics: WOTL is part of the tactics series so I am sure they will do another one soon.

member_10628951
6th Jul 2012, 12:59
BTW VIII was one of my favorite Final Fantasy's.

YoshiKatYoko
6th Jul 2012, 13:12
^^^ No to most of those XIII and XII already had "sequels". VIII wrapped up nicely and Tactics: WOTL is part of the tactics series so I am sure they will do another one soon.

Yeah, sequels. But I WANT another one for XIII, definitely XIII-3.

Jhemperly
6th Jul 2012, 13:15
It is my favorite... I've beaten it many of times and I still don't feel like most of the characters in any of the titles come close to the depth Squall has... It really feels like a lot of time went into his character, but I still have to disgree with the ending being wrapped up... However I have long thought about how a sequel could be started from that... And I don't think it reaally could without harming the story... Unless they use another sorceress to save them, but then they have the motives that need to account for... I honestly think a prequel about why Ultimecia was the way she was, or the sorceress wars would supplement the story nicely...

member_10628951
6th Jul 2012, 13:17
Certainly if thats what everyone wants than why not!

Although I do hope they finish up Versus XIII (XV), Type-0 and FFX HD before they start on XIII-3.

member_10628951
6th Jul 2012, 13:18
@Jason

A prequel could work...

YoshiKatYoko
6th Jul 2012, 13:19
Certainly if thats what everyone wants than why not! Although I do hope they finish up Versus XIII (XV), Type-0 and FFX HD before they start on XIII-3.

Except you.

member_10628951
6th Jul 2012, 13:23
Except me what?

Jhemperly
6th Jul 2012, 13:25
I personally believe Versus XIII should be taken care of foremost. If it is received well enough it may give them the motivation to remaster ffvii and then from there maybe I will be able to see something done with Final Fantasy VIII...

member_10628951
6th Jul 2012, 13:46
That is the great hope right? Lol.

Jhemperly
6th Jul 2012, 14:58
Indeed...

Xiaonanigans
7th Jul 2012, 01:09
XIII doesn't need or deserve another sequel.

Now since Type 0 may become a subseries like the Ivalice games, I would want that, and people are hungry for real Versus info. Not the vague "We might be working on it but not really" attitude and answers Versus fans have been getting.

Anything on Versus or Type 0 are lurking in the shadows.

It's all about XIII and XIV right now.

Why does XIII doesn't need a sequel? Tell me.

Azure
7th Jul 2012, 08:07
Why does XIII doesn't need a sequel? Tell me.

Because it is the worst FF ever .The game has too much benefit that it not deserves and thus it makes other games do not have the opportunity to shine .

Same as FFX HD, why they chose it to remaster because it is the work of Toriyama and he wants his work to re release to make him more popular

MagiusNecros
7th Jul 2012, 08:46
That actually makes sense. Why didn't I think of that before. FFX HD is a Trump Card if he needs to save face if he makes a total screwup. And I don't believe those HD Revision difficulties for one minute.

I would like more information on Versus. At least Type 0 still has stuff going on in Japan to make note of.

But Versus has nothing.....I think that is a little unfair to the Versus fanbase.

Summoner
9th Jul 2012, 10:05
I'm pretty sure the only people who know about Versus are the people who know about Final Fantasy and to check up on Square Enix news.

I kinda don't like sequels, the one's for FFVII were ok, like Crisis Core, I haven't played Dirge of Cerberus due to I couldn't find it. I got the FFXII sequel for the DS, talk about a let down, I was kinda expecting that though since it went onto the handheld, I was kinda hoping it would be like Final Fantasy Tactics. But the only sequel/remake I liked was FFIII on the DS, it was fun.

new_tradition
10th Jul 2012, 19:15
Someone made a thread about a sequel idea for FFVIII. Having played FFVIII several times, I can see it getting a sequel if only to explain Ultimecia's identity and what happened to the characters of FFVIII that they weren't there to stop Ultimecia (of course I think the assumption is that she shows up hundreds of years later they're dead or something, lol).

I mean, how was she so powerful that the SeeDs of the future couldn't defeat her, but the ones from the past managed it? Who passed the powers onto her in the first place? Maybe more on Griever's origin (I think she literally ripped Griever from Squall's mind and brought him into being, but where'd did Squall come up with that idea in the first place?).

Plus what happens with Rinoa now that she's a sorceress? Can she cope with the power with Squall at her side? Can Squall live up to being a knight in the first place? What about the other characters? Does Quistis ever become an instructor again? Does Irvine or Seifer become SeeDs? Seifer especially, we see him with a not terrible ending with his possy, but does he ever atone for all his crimes? Was he even completely in his right mind, what with Ultimecia probably throwing in her own mind ***** every so often? What about Galbadia? If I remember right, it got destroyed, leaving Balamb the only Garden left in the world. Heck, is mercenary work still required in a post Sorceress War III world?

I got all these questions I'd love official answers too D:

jimbrault12
27th Mar 2013, 16:18
Square management, please learn a lesson from Hollywood. Squels sell, always.

Can I suggest a squel to XII. Have you forgotten this amazing title.

Would be a big mistake not to take additional momentum from this title.

XIII wasn't great, good but not great like XII.

Leaferian-379423
27th Mar 2013, 16:54
For starters, that's entirely down to opinion. There are plenty of people that didn't enjoy XII, and there are lots of complaints against it. Thaty said, XII is my favorite numbered Final Fantasy so I personally love it quite a lot. That's why I'm here to tell you that Final Fantasy XII DID have a sequel, and Square Enix most definitely didn't forget about it. The second XII game, Revenant Wings, was a DS title that combined the real-time of XII's regular battle system with a Tactics-esque battle map and sprites. It made heavy use of touch screen controls and kept a version of the previous game's loot system. It introduced a new race, and tells the story of how Vaan and Penelo got their true start as (benevelont and freedom-loving) Sky Pirates. The world of Final Fantasy XII is also the same version of Ivalice visited in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift. Vaan and Penelo make an appearance in this game markedly older, with Vaan having become very much similar to Baltheir in personality since the ending of Revenant Wings.

jimbrault12
27th Mar 2013, 20:06
Thanks for the reply, I don't want to complain but rather give suggestions.

The DS title, DS is the handheld device for Sony right? Lower graphics correct?

Leaferian-379423
27th Mar 2013, 20:22
No worries, you're welcome. And no, the DS is the Nintendo handheld that came before the 3DS. As I recall it stands for 'Dual Screen'. It doesn't have PS2 graphics of course, it uses moving sprites that are closer in quality to the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games. Also since I forgot to mention, it makes heavy use of summoned creatures the same way that Final Fantasy X-2 and XIII-2, having them be your major backup for battles.

28th Mar 2013, 01:46
What i want on ffxii is the instant fight. where you know there is no screen glass breaking to switch to battle mode. That is what i want them to use on ffs

destruction7
2nd Apr 2013, 23:30
ff12 revenant wings is FF12 Sequel? Why release her on DS?

alanman178
3rd Apr 2013, 13:47
ff12 revenant wings is FF12 Sequel? Why release her on DS?

I understand how you feel. It really bugs me when companies do that. That, and seeing a bunch of "filler" titles spread across multiple platforms instead of seeing it all on the leading console the previous titles were released for.

I've always thought the games on the hand-helds should be different than those on the larger consoles. One example would be how different the FF Legend games on the Gameboy were from the NES and SNES titles many years back.

FatSqueek
3rd Apr 2013, 13:57
This is a terrible idea.

jimbrault12
5th Apr 2013, 19:08
So I'm playing the latest Bio Shock game, Infinite. Not too impressed.

Makes me wish we had a new Final Fantasy game.

However, can someone help me with why other game developers get sequels out so much quickly than Square?

destruction7
6th Apr 2013, 00:37
Sequels equal Rage many times.