PDA

View Full Version : Should there be jumping and crouching in to vents in TS3???

Reaperbot
15th Feb 2003, 05:14
It would be so cool if you could jump and crouch into vents in TS3!
If you could jump in TS3, then they would be able to put low gravity cheats in and there would be jump pads and other stuff in it! I think it would be a great idea! Your thoughts?

Hank Nova
15th Feb 2003, 11:56
Yes vents would be cool especially for facility remakes but jumping and low gravity cheats should stay in other games. Yes its fun for a while but then it get silly. Jumping into vents in counterstrike is quite difficult at first and i don't think people would bother with it. Its not likly to happen as FRD aready said they think jumping is crap. but the crouching to get into vents is a good idea.

Mista Sinista
15th Feb 2003, 23:01
Good idea, but I'm gonna vote NO! on your poll just to be an idiot, lol.

CountZero
16th Feb 2003, 01:00
Crouching into vents 'n stuff.....Yeah!
Jumping..... No! Jumping looks silly in multiplayer modes and just wouldn't look right in the TimeSplitters game engine!

Reaperbot
16th Feb 2003, 02:52
low gravity would be so cool though!
Especially making a space station map and seeing grenades flying everywhere!

Also there would be FLYING MONKEYS!!!:D :D

Reaperbot
16th Feb 2003, 05:54
Silly? Who cares if it looks silly!
Counter-Strike jumping doesn't look silly!

Jumping is about the ability to jump across gaps and stuff so you can have more detailed maps!

Anyway! Every fps has jumping now!! Half-Life, CS, battlefield, tribes............

Timesplitters having no ability to jump makes it feel abit.....outdated!

Hank Nova
16th Feb 2003, 11:34
Originally posted by Reaperbot
Anyway! Every fps has jumping now!! Half-Life, CS, battlefield, tribes............

Timesplitters 3 officially the sheep fps of the year:rolleyes:

Reaperbot
17th Feb 2003, 03:48
Woah I just thought of another crazy idea for TS3 which would change it heaps!

What if TS3 was................... CEL SHADED!!!

The characters would look like the characters in the concept art!
:eek: :cool: :D

El-Spaz
17th Feb 2003, 15:42
I had to go with the llama. After having replayed the original Unreal Tournament with a friend of mine the other day i have to re-emphasize my origional thought on this issue. No jumping unless it can be done right! Jumping looks and is really stupid when you see people bouncing around like ping-pong-balls all over the level. It is too easy to abuse in it's present form. If it was included in the game more realistically, like needing to run and jump to make longer jumps but then your player being paused for a second in order for them to get back their bearings, and without the players being able to make huge jumps straight up into the air, then yeah it would work well. But unless it can be and is done right, leave it out.

Oh, and as for the cell-shaded junk...what are people thinking. It's supposed to be more realistic, not more like super nintendo graphics!

Hank Nova
17th Feb 2003, 17:45
What if TS3 was................... CEL SHADED!!!

1. I heard most cell shaded games turn out to be crap. Obviously with the accept of Wacky Races.

2. Have you not even heard of XIII?

Reaperbot
18th Feb 2003, 03:21
Geez! I might as well go back to the pc and play CS....
Ah jumping!!!!:D

CountZero
18th Feb 2003, 11:59
That's a good point El-Spaz. IF jumping COULD be done to look REALISTIC and convincing then yes. But think about it in the real world if you were running full pelt in the middle of a battle and you jump you wouldn't go that high up anyway... in fact the jump looks more like and extended running stride but with a littl eextra bounce. And also to make the jump look realistic the character would have to get the footing right to engage the jump which would mean the actual jump would happen about half a second after you press it. (Try standing in front of a mirror and look at your self jump. Break down the movement into sections - before you actually leave the ground you have to crouch slightly to bend your knees and then prepel yourself into the air) This would make people very annoyed and is something that's gonna take a lot of research to get right. What's the point if graphics are getting more realistic with each and every generation of console and the jump still looking like a South Park animation!!

Reaperbot
19th Feb 2003, 03:44
Well, people don't really care what it looks like, well pc gamers don't care such as myself! No matter how rediculous it looks. It doesn't change the gameplay at all! But I guess if Free Radical think it looks rediculous in most fps games, they could always....MOTION CAPTURE IT! That would be a waste of time though.....

Rare
25th Feb 2003, 02:18
seeing how crouching is already in the game. They should have two crouches, like in PD and have the third crouch the one that makes you screen go black. Its really nice to have that because then when your playing against friends they can't see where you are and ambush you. You can ambush them!

Reaperbot
25th Feb 2003, 03:19
Uh.......whats PD what kinda crouch makes it so your screen goes black?

harry_tippers_love_child
25th Feb 2003, 11:38
Sorry about that, got strangely excited for a second there.

But no - TimeSplitters is not a clone of Half-Life/Counter-Strike/Halo/Red Faction/Unreal Tournament/QuakeIII or whatever other game you prefer. Frankly there is no point in comparing games like this. If you prefer the features of one game, don't wish them into TS2, just play the other bloomin' game, for heaven's sake!!! It's not THAT difficult to grasp, is it? And yep - jumping looks very silly indeed. However, hidey-holes are a good idea.

Am I the only one who thinks Cel-Shaded games look ace, and that The Getaway had quite poor graphics, really???

:D:D

Hank Nova
25th Feb 2003, 11:46
Originally posted by harry_tippers_love_child
But no - TimeSplitters is not a clone of Half-Life/Counter-Strike/Halo/Red Faction/Unreal Tournament/QuakeIII or whatever other game you prefer. Frankly there is no point in comparing games like this. If you prefer the features of one game, don't wish them into TS2, just play the other bloomin' game, for heaven's sake!!! It's not THAT difficult to grasp, is it? And yep - jumping looks very silly indeed. However, hidey-holes are a good idea.

Amen

P.S I never said cel-shaded games looked crap i said they had crap gameplay.

El-Spaz
25th Feb 2003, 18:02
Am I the only one who thinks Cel-Shaded games look ace,

Originally posted by Hank Nova
Amen

P.S I never said cel-shaded games looked crap i said they had crap gameplay.

No but i did. Cell shading looks horrible. I don't know why developers would actually choose to use cell shading in a game. It looks like someone created a game out of badly drawn newspaper style comics. I was planning on buying Dark Cloud 2 and was looking at the new Link game, but now that i have seen them and their cell shading, i have just about lost all interest in both of them. I don't have a current gaming system in order to buy games that look like they came out of the Super Nintendo

Reaperbot
26th Feb 2003, 03:36
jumping looks very silly indeed.

WHO CARES IF IT LOOKS SILLY!!!! ARGH!!!!!
I know quite a lotta ppl which would also like to have jumping in TS3!!! ARGGH!HH!!H!H!H!h1h!

El-Spaz
26th Feb 2003, 17:35
WHO CARES IF IT LOOKS SILLY!!!! ARGH!!!!!
I know quite a lotta ppl which would also like to have jumping in TS3!!! ARGGH!HH!!H!H!H!h1h! I care if it looks silly as do many others! Maybe some people would like jumping included, but many others don't. I say that if they do it, it should be done right! The people at FreeRadical have done a great job of making TS2 a fun and well designed game. They have gone out of their way to really take TS2 a step forward giving it an air of uniquness while at the same time really re-thinking the cookie cutter systems that are a part of the FPS genre. I don't want TS3 to turn into a clone of everything else that's out there. They did the aiming system right in spite of all the people complaining about it not being the same as everything else, so i say that they should put jumping into TS3, only they should do it right since no one else will. Jumping can be incorperated without making it look stupid so if anyone would be willing to actually make the needed changes... i could and would love to see FreeRadical do it in TS3.

harry_tippers_love_child
26th Feb 2003, 17:46
Originally posted by El-Spaz
No but i did. Cell shading looks horrible.

Doesn't. Looks nice.

***stamps feet on floor, pouts bottom lip, prepares for tantrum***

BAWL BAWL BAWL

***normal service is resumed***

I don't have a current gaming system in order to buy games that look like they came out of the Super Nintendo

Do you not feel that's maybe just a touch hyperbolic?? :) Cell shading might not be appropriate for all games and yes it's true it can be abused, but I think it CAN, if done correctly (Sly Raccoon styleeeee) look really quite groovy. Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but while I'm not saying that I wanna see all games look like SNES games ;) sometimes it looks good.

I'd like TS3 to look like TS2, I think the graphics are perfectly styled for the gameplay. Well done all round. And no jumping, either :):D

Reaperbot
27th Feb 2003, 03:03
Originally posted by El-Spaz
Jumping can be incorperated without making it look stupid so if anyone would be willing to actually make the needed changes... i could and would love to see FreeRadical do it in TS3.

: D
Free Radical rule at making games, they'd be able to make it look good, but the punching in the game kinda looks silly when you're running round everywhere but whocares?!?!?!

Duckman Drake
27th Feb 2003, 15:16
Am I the only one who thinks Cel-Shaded games look ace, and that The Getaway had quite poor graphics, really???

:D:D

You're not alone - I love Jet Grind Radio, JSRF, both Simpson's Road Rage and Skateboarding (though I'm a little sheepish to admit it). I am DYING to play XIII. When the hell is it coming out!?

And you right, The Getaway didn't impress me either in the graphics department.

Ehhh, sorry, wandered off topic. (cough) I like jumping. Does TS need it? No. Would it be nice? Sure, if the mechanics are professionally done.

Mista Sinista
27th Feb 2003, 16:57
First of all, TS3 should look like TS2 though graphically enhanced a bit because every sequel needs better graphics otherwise it's pretty retarded to have a game come out a year later than another and look the same. Second of all, jumping would be cool but should be an option. Like crouch, you can have it off, toggle, or hold. Jump should have off and hold, that way those who don't like it don't have it, and those who do, do. Third, bot acrobatics. I don't know about you, but my screen doing a 360, look at the sky, etc, would prolly make me barf from getting dizzy. I mean, if you were to do three flips in a row, roll twice, flip again, and possibly more, you'd be wishing you'd hadn't had lunch. Duckman Drake, Ts2 does need crouching. You can see more when you snipe, and some tileset's bunkers require you to crouch to look between the crack and shoot. Another use, is when you're playing someone like me who only does head shots for faster kills, you can crouch real quickly ever now and then to avoid getting hit. Try this: Run around someone strafing, and when you see they're gonna blast your face, crouch as they shoot. They'll miss, and trust me, you'll be happy there's a crouch. I have only one issue, the punching. The delay and speed of the punches are too slow, and also, the bots are much too good of boxers. I mean, I can release ten times the amount of punches, and knock out or kill someone in just a couple of hits, in this you need to hit someone like 10 times before they're almost down. The bots are more realistic, one hit or two and the opponent drops. That's all.

Duckman Drake
27th Feb 2003, 17:10
Ack! I made a verbal faux pas on that last post. Mista Sinista, you're right, TS does need crouching, I meant jumping, just JUMPING. Crouching is VERY important. Must've had a brain fart when I wrote that or something... editing my last post now, folks.

harry_tippers_love_child
27th Feb 2003, 17:30
If you edit it, that last post won't make any sense!

Ohhh - the humanity!
:D

Duckman Drake
27th Feb 2003, 17:44
LOL... I didn't think I made sense to begin with!

wags232
28th Feb 2003, 01:50
Jumping doesn't have to look stupid, it just usually does because developers don't spend enough time on it. If they could just nail down the animation to make it look like a person actually jumping, then it would be cool. All FPS should have jumping, no jumping is outdated and lame.

spanks
28th Feb 2003, 02:04
I don't care that jumping looks stupid, but I do care if it effs-up gameplay. Jumping in some FPSes is just too effective for avoiding being shot. Does this work in real combat or paintball? No. That's why I don't like it.

It would be OK if you could only jump three feet in the air and if doing so caused you to get tired such that you couldn't do it repeatedly. Also, jumping should really eff-up your ability to aim and shoot while you're in the air.

Crouching on the other hand is a different story. Personally, I'm all for analog crouching. I'd even like it if you could lie down in sniper position (with limited ability to move).

Reaperbot
28th Feb 2003, 03:21
Wait a min..... when did you ever have to use crouch in TS2!!?!?!?
There was no point of it!

I remeber when I first got the TS2 demo, i saw vents and so I thought that you could crawl into it, sadly, no....

Olly
2nd Mar 2003, 14:13
it's pretty retarded to have a game come out a year later than another and look the same

Funny you should mention that, if you look at the tomb raider 3 graphincs, then tomb raider 5, the graphics on 3 are better than 5, strange isnt it?

my screen doing a 360, look at the sky ect.

On Unreal Tournament you dont do that when you do a forward roll, it just looks like you are jumping foward. In fact the only way you can tell it is a foward roll is if you use the behind view cheat.

in this you need to hit someone like 10 times before they're almost down

I found out that in the missions, if you punch someone in the back then they die instantly, you can try it eisily on the people on the stairs in the siberia mision.

Ruger
2nd Mar 2003, 16:55
Yeah jumping is kinda silly for a multiplayer game. I play Day of Defeat and at least once a night I come upon leaping shooting allies. It looks silly and sadly enough works pretty well.

Reaperbot
3rd Mar 2003, 04:07
Yeah, that's what jumping is about!
Not on how silly it looks!

FAMAS
4th Mar 2003, 11:52
Crouching to vents was one of the things I really wanted to TS2,but I was disappointed to see they didn't add it to the game.What it comes to jumping,it just wouldn't fit in the game.

Mista Sinista
4th Mar 2003, 13:28
Originally posted by Olly
I found out that in the missions, if you punch someone in the back then they die instantly, you can try it eisily on the people on the stairs in the siberia mision.

True, true. But I play multiplayer cause singleplayer is boring, and getting in back of a five star bot with 9 others running around, just to punch him in back of the head just doesn't make sense. This game is too unrealistic damage wise, I mean, SBP90's would rip you apart in like 2-3 shots, not 45 lol. And some bots being able to survive a rocket in the head, common, that's pure bull****ness lol.

Mikkel L
26th Mar 2003, 07:39
Your right sinista, it's a little unrealistic.
also the minigun, lol the bots should almost have about 10 hits...

Maybe they makes it a little more realistic in ts3...

LithiumTS2
26th Mar 2003, 20:28
Tactical 12 Gauge in the head does naff all either

Mikkel L
27th Mar 2003, 07:02
Yeah I know, but all weapons dosen't kill in the head, I would be dead if I was shot be a pistol.... Right.

El-Spaz
28th Mar 2003, 16:15
I'd have to say that the no headshot in multiplay is probably one of my bigger complaints about the game too. It makes sniping useless.

kylea91
21st Apr 2003, 22:42
No. The game is fine without it. And there allready is crouching.

AB-109
22nd Apr 2003, 06:08
he didnt mean just crouching, "crouching in to vents" is what it says!

Ab ^_^

Switchblade 69
22nd Apr 2003, 10:53
people are saying that jumping is realistic but they are also complaining about how the game is not realistic enough. id like to see anyone jump even 3 feet in the air holding a rocket launcher while aiming perfectly straight at a target. this game was not meant to be 100% realistic otherwise FRD would have put blood in the game, all believable characters etc. i say the crouching into vents is fine, but no jumping.

AB-109
22nd Apr 2003, 17:45
I agree!

I dont want people doing what the same thing in TS2 as they do in CounterStrike. I hate it SOOO much :mad:

Ab ^_^

Reaperbot
23rd Apr 2003, 08:12
Nothing's wrong with CS! Except for the campers, the tkers y'know.

Nothing's wrong with jumping! Having no jumping makes it feel like an old game though. And why do you hate ppl jumping around knifing chickens???