PDA

View Full Version : Why have there been no new turn based/ATB final fantasy game since FFX?

neuropunk
14th Mar 2013, 20:17
Nobody wants these mediocre XIII series games since they suck so bad. Square Soft made some of the best games ever made. Not sure exactly who is to blame for the downfall of quality since Square.

Why are there no new turn based Final Fantasies? Those have the best combat out of all video game genres. All I really want are new fantastic Final Fantasy games that have the traditional style, traditional elements and traditional Final Fantasy formula.

Final Fantasy was a HUGE franchise, and one of the major reasons why the brand got so popular is because of the turn based ATB battles and customization and control over your party, controllable airship/vehicles, world map, minigames, etc. Why the hell would anyone want to change a winning formula and try to fix what isn't broken?...

Well, now the Final Fantasy series is broken. Question is, is the Final Fantasy franchise broken beyond repair? Why are Square Enix against turn based ATB? Is it because that is what fans really want, and so Square Enix wants to hurt fans and troll them? Bring back the turn based Final Fantasy, that is what made the franchise to begin with, like...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moooka
15th Mar 2013, 03:35
While I agree that XIII is not better than many of Square's previous games, ATB exists in XIII and XIII-2. You wait for it to fill up before you can attack. The game gives you the choice to input commands manually and select the targets too, which in many cases is more useful than using auto battle. I personally enjoyed the new system, and I don't think that it's XIII's main problem. They also made a classic-style Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy Dimensions for smart devices, it has ATB. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years also has it. Have you played Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light for Nintendo DS? That game has a turn-based system. So in fact, ATB and turn-based were used in some of the recent Final Fantasy games. They try to make new combat systems for every main FF game, this has been the case since FF10.

15th Mar 2013, 06:42
one thing i really agree on you is the freaking airships... they only make it like a portal to another place... It makes me not excited anymore when getting an airship... Its just like "an airship yay"... before when getting an airship I was like "WOOOOWW Awesome.... I'll travel everywhere before continuing on the story..."

I think squareenix keep on their must-have on FF titles is ATBs.. They just modified it. That's what I think... but the airship is just a let down

destruction7
15th Mar 2013, 12:22
Sorry but ATB is just used alot of times Everytme in rpgs Square Enix tried a different approach than the usual it´s sucked!.

neuropunk
15th Mar 2013, 13:57
While I agree that XIII is not better than many of Square's previous games, ATB exists in XIII and XIII-2. You wait for it to fill up before you can attack. The game gives you the choice to input commands manually and select the targets too, which in many cases is more useful than using auto battle. I personally enjoyed the new system, and I don't think that it's XIII's main problem. They also made a classic-style Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy Dimensions for smart devices, it has ATB. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years also has it. Have you played Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light for Nintendo DS? That game has a turn-based system. So in fact, ATB and turn-based were used in some of the recent Final Fantasy games. They try to make new combat systems for every main FF game, this has been the case since FF10.

ATB may exist in XIII and XIII-2 but you do not get to control your party members, which is HORRIBLE!

I tried inputting the commands manually in XIII and the battle system still sucked. Still can't control other party members that way.

No way I'm going to play a cellphone game. Also, I bet it sucks. (I want something like FF7-FF10, but less linear than 10)

Squeenix should have never tried to fix something that wasn't broke, since now the Final Fantasy series is broke.

PS: Not sure how in the world it is possible for anyone to like the sucky boring combat system of the XIII series.

Prinny25
15th Mar 2013, 14:53
i kinda miss ATB system in the games and the newer games kinda of give a dull feeling i thinking about doning a FF6,9 and 12 playthoguh and maybe tactcis

Laraul
19th Apr 2013, 14:50
ATB may exist in XIII and XIII-2 but you do not get to control your party members, which is HORRIBLE!

I tried inputting the commands manually in XIII and the battle system still sucked. Still can't control other party members that way.

No way I'm going to play a cellphone game. Also, I bet it sucks. (I want something like FF7-FF10, but less linear than 10)

Squeenix should have never tried to fix something that wasn't broke, since now the Final Fantasy series is broke.

FFXIII took the gestalt system from FFXII which everyone seemed to like and built the combit system around that in FFXIII. It results in battles that move very fast, with the player adjusting the roles of the party as the battle progresses. It works well. By the late stages of any FF game you are mashing the same buttons over and over when encountering random accounters. All in all, it's no surprise that SE adobted this approach.

As for what you want (on a smart phone), sounds like FFX-2.

destruction7
19th Apr 2013, 18:25
Actually ATB For Me IS i control everybody! nothing of Just keep watching everybody working solo in my PARTY,MY side!.

alanman178
19th Apr 2013, 20:54
I know things have changed in the series because, the people of SE have said they wanted to keep challenging themselves. That's awesome that they want to better themselves. I respect them for that. If that's the 'real' reason. Anyway, I just wish they'd experiment with something other than the FF series first. Then, if there's an idea that becomes popular and looks like it might fit into the series, they can make the 'addition'.

The FF series is a series that SE needed to be very careful with. They haven't done that. They've gone up and down, left and right, over here, over there, and anywhere except the direction a lot of us had hoped they'd continue to go in. The series was growing and progressing very well. Then, it appeared that certain individuals in the company wanted to make bigger names for themselves, so they came up with this whole "Change" and "Challenging themselves" thing in an attempt to reach that goal.

I believe that before the FF series can get back to "Juggernaught" status, the company of SE needs to get back to it first. Whether it's remakes or bringing back the "Expansive Worlds", they need to find a way to "supply" what's demanded. There's a nice "Challenge" for them. Although, they are bringing FF10 and FF10-2 back, and that Bravely Default: Flying Fairy game over to NA. That is a good start.

Oh yea, I miss the "turn-based" style as well. Sorry about the rant. The FF series means a lot to me. So, sometimes I can't help it. lol

Automaton
19th Apr 2013, 21:40
Things are also changing because gaming paradigms themselves have changed. I don't want to say that people who are fans of "traditional" JRPGs like the old Final Fantasies are in the minority, but take a look around at what's coming out these days... and where.

Since I can't decide what exactly to type, I'll say this: I'm perfectly fine with FF as it is right now.

FatSqueek
19th Apr 2013, 23:43
Airships can suck my morning commute.

Hawkey
10th Jun 2013, 10:20
Why not make a Turn Based Final Fantasy game again?. And not these Action/Western RPG's.

metalminx
30th Jun 2013, 08:55
i like seeing this love for 'turn-based' rpgs ¦)

i think S/E changed the major FF games' battle system all for the critics who collectively ***** when a series doesn't change enough. they were (way back then) always slagging on turn-based games. they ***** about games being 'too Japanese' and writing crap like ''with a more Western approach, the game could have been a huge success. but when you put stale 80s mechanics in a next-gen game, all you get is mediocre.'' unfortunately it's true.

in the end, i think S/E caved for. a higher metacritic score

metalminx
30th Jun 2013, 08:58
(sorry for the wonky punctuation. i'm using a vita ¦)

chrismeyer35
1st Jul 2013, 08:09
i agree...i miss the good ol days of turn-based games...im an old school gamer and fell in love with the 1st ff on the original nes and have been hooked ever since ( cant stand the crystal chronicles game that came out for gamecube lol )

i think they wanted something new which is why they did what they did, it gives more action to combat and all, makes you think on the fly, but you can do the same thing with turn-based combat, just up the combat speed...so i just went and downloaded all the ff's from psn so i can satisfy my turn-base combat jones lmao, but yeah i do agree i wish they would go back to some good ol turn-based combat stuff for the series, itll give a sense of nostalgia for us old school gamers lol http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

Ernest420
1st Jul 2013, 08:36
i agree...i miss the good ol days of turn-based games...im an old school gamer and fell in love with the 1st ff on the original nes and have been hooked ever since ( cant stand the crystal chronicles game that came out for gamecube lol )

i think they wanted something new which is why they did what they did, it gives more action to combat and all, makes you think on the fly, but you can do the same thing with turn-based combat, just up the combat speed...so i just went and downloaded all the ff's from psn so i can satisfy my turn-base combat jones lmao, but yeah i do agree i wish they would go back to some good ol turn-based combat stuff for the series, itll give a sense of nostalgia for us old school gamers lol

I don't care what they are doing, as long as FF 14 & 15 comes out on PS4 and be kick (fill in the blank) games, i'm happy!!!

P.S. REMAKE FF7 (EXCLUSIVELY) FOR PS4 ALREADY!!!! DO THAT & YOU CAN NAME YOUR PRICE WITH ME AND I'LL PAY IT WITHOUT ASECOND THOUGHT!!!! OH AND I FORGOT ABOUT VALKYRIE PROFILE!!!! XD

member_10540987
4th Jul 2013, 13:19
I just hope that when Fabula Nova Crystallis ends, SE will award our patience by not making a remake on FFVII, but by taking that concept and giving us a wonderful FF title we can all enjoy and love once again.

Of course if they remake FFVII from scratch into a PS4 title using all the resources available now ... I'd buy it without thinking it twice.

xxCresentxx
4th Jul 2013, 18:51
Just gotta think on your feet lol.

alanman178
4th Jul 2013, 20:09
I'm a turn-based nerd, I guess. I really like anything pre-FF10. I know FF10 was turn-based. And the game was pretty good. But, I still enjoyed the older game-designs more. Those were the days when it seemed Squaresoft wanted us to not just enjoy the stories, but maybe enjoy the worlds the stories were built into as well. I don't get that feeling anymore. These newer titles just seem so incomplete to me. They aren't bad. They're just so different from the games that got me hooked into the series back in the early '90's. I have to say that this is not the future I'd envisioned for the FF series.

member_10090130
9th Jul 2013, 13:59
For ATB fans, SquareEnix released Final Fantasy: All The Best on iOS not so long ago.

member_10540987
10th Jul 2013, 06:53
@Volakai: That's a cruel joke. They released that game for monkeys. And even them got bored after 5 minutes.

heero2001
15th Aug 2013, 08:10
I love turn based RPG system, but clearly no market outside of Japan will accept it. Western reviewer bashes anything with menu based system. You will still get turn based battle system on smaller budget titles (most likely handheld games), but not FF, unless the western gamers' taste shift big-time. That said, I loved FFXIII's battle system. It's not a traditional battle system, so if you expect that then you will be disappointed. Instead, if you accept the change and try to see the system for what it is, then you will enjoy it a lot more. I think FFXIII's battle is one of the best battle system ever with incredible depth. It turned FF almost into a strategy game.

KrelboynekidZidane
9th Jan 2014, 02:14
XIII was not 100% atb. It combined real time with atb. Unlike FF X and below you are given much less time to choose your action. Yes, your characters will wait if you dont attack first or in some cases your AI will start with an action regardless of what you do. But I have noticed if your characters do wait, Hope as an ai will get antsy and throw his boomerang even if he is waiting for you to choose an action when all of you are Ravangers. I kid you not. Also if a turtle stomps or casts Ultima (gui) you can block it if you do it fast. The game is not going to wait 5 seconds. My point is that you dont necessarily get a turn if you dont act fast enough. In other games, you could defend others but even if it an enemy cast death, only 1 dies and you could have enough time to phoenix down the dead person(unless the final boss had all of you down to 1 hp and turn you into a frog. If a Gui stomps, cast ultima, casts quake, and blows in your face all in its turn, you have very little time for you to change to Tortise paradigm. Most likely it will only do 2 of its actions. But if caught off guard and you switched to tri disaster thinking its all over, and you see hes going to blow in your face, its NOT going to wait for you.

who agrees with me when I say XIIIs paradigm system gives you less time than the standard turn based atb system? Yes in FF IV enemies will act regardless; however, you are generally given quite an opening for healing after taken a huge hit.

Here is another situation. Im going to bring up an example of 3 wolves and a king behenouth, which is common on Pulse. Even if they attack first (most of the time) and your menu lets you select an action , if you dont get rid of those wolves because you are just standing there for 5 seconds or in middle of switching , the behenouth wont wait and will gore you again. In other words the game wants fast responses. Its a matter of life and death in xiii.

The best examples of enemies not waiting in xiii are stinking Picachus.

EternalAmbiguity
21st Jan 2014, 01:27
I see many complaints about XIII's ATB system being action based--where enemies and allies moved on their own--but in VII the enemies attack on their own too, if you wait. So it's the same. And, in VII the ATB bar moved too fast to allow you to go through some of the complex actions available to you--like going through the Enemy Skill materia, or using a specific magic. It's too fast ALREADY. XIII made it simpler by giving the auto-attack option, which is really necessary. I won't say removing ally control was a good thing, but I personally found it too slow to use effectively in VII--the battles moved too fast, the enemies would attack too quickly.

patrickthe8
22nd Jan 2014, 04:20
For ATB fans, SquareEnix released Final Fantasy: All The Best on iOS not so long ago.

How dare you.

alanman178
23rd Jan 2014, 02:31
I see many complaints about XIII's ATB system being action based--where enemies and allies moved on their own--but in VII the enemies attack on their own too, if you wait. So it's the same. And, in VII the ATB bar moved too fast to allow you to go through some of the complex actions available to you--like going through the Enemy Skill materia, or using a specific magic. It's too fast ALREADY. XIII made it simpler by giving the auto-attack option, which is really necessary. I won't say removing ally control was a good thing, but I personally found it too slow to use effectively in VII--the battles moved too fast, the enemies would attack too quickly.

I just wanted to mention that FF7 had the "Wait" option that stopped time in battle every time the skill, magic, or item was selected. The player could select "Active" if they were looking for more challenging battles.

Kalkano
28th Jan 2014, 04:36
Until Active Time Battle is brought back, with full-party control, I'll never buy another Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy is NOT an action-RPG series, no matter how much SquareEnix tries to shove XIII-3 and XV down our throats.

alanman178
30th Jan 2014, 02:28
Until Active Time Battle is brought back, with full-party control, I'll never buy another Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy is NOT an action-RPG series, no matter how much SquareEnix tries to shove XIII-3 and XV down our throats.

I understand your frustration. I'm a little frustrated about "Versus" becoming "FF15". I was never really all that interested in "Versus". That doesn't mean I won't give the game a chance, though. Also, I wasn't too impressed with the "Lightning Returns" demo. SE just crammed a full party's worth of abilities into 1 character. I'm just glad the 13 series is ending. FF games were designed better in the '90's.

Enixed
30th Jan 2014, 17:13
I agree with those that want to see a return to the classic style FF games. FF: X and FF: X-2 were the last FF games I enjoyed, and I am looking forward to picking up the HD versions.

As a fan of both RPGs and Final Fantasy I am disappointed at the moves Square-Enix has made to convert the series to a ActionRPG format. The biggest issue I find with Action RPGs is that they all have so much in common. Gone are the days of FF: III (FF:VI) where one could partake in interesting combat.

Innovation is great but abandoning what made a series great? May as well tell your fan base "We have decided to look for other fans now, thanks for supporting us but your no longer needed." FF: XIII (and all that comes with/from it) was/is the worst game in the franchise (IMO).

Perhaps games like FF: XIII are easier to make. Perhaps Square-Enix choose to fixate on music and visual (graphics) than on gameplay and story. Back when FF: II - VII were first launched there was nothing that could stand up to them in gameplay or story arc. Personally I feel what was Final Fantasy has been lost. I fear it will never be the blockbuster game it was.

I stopped in a Video Game resale shop in my town recently. There sitting in the display case was a copy of Final Fantasy III, still in it's box unopened. Price tag $50.00. FF: X - XII2 $5.00 - $30.00 (and the $30 was FF: XIII-2 New with guide). That has to say something about the quality of the game. Square-Enix seems to have lost focus on quality and started focusing on quantity. I wont even get started on the fail pile that is FF: Online.

A return to what made Final Fantasy the big name franchise it has become. Yes... that would be something worth getting into. Oh and for those that say "Remake FF: VII for PS4..." HELL YES! They have remade all the rest of them (several of the multiple times), just don't make it like FF: XIII.

Kalkano
30th Jan 2014, 19:52
Oh and for those that say "Remake FF: VII for PS4..." HELL YES! They have remade all the rest of them (several of the multiple times), just don't make it like FF: XIII.

Be careful what you wish for...

There's no doubt in my mind that modern SquareEnix would try to "reimagine" Final Fantasy 7 as an action-RPG. And, I'd want nothing to do with such a game. I'd pretend it didn't exist.

alanman178
3rd Feb 2014, 02:10
I had no "real" problems with any of the FF games of the '90's. With the exception FF7(the only game I've never had any problems with), there'd always be 1 or 2 things that bugged me in any game. But, they were never big enough problems to make me dislike the FF games overall. I liked the series more before
FF10 because, Squaresoft used to make it about an "adventure through a vast and expansive world". Not just that, though. The games had "balance". If you lean too hard in one direction, you'll lose "balance".

Puppetshow
15th Apr 2014, 18:10
ATB stands for "Active" time battle.

The only recent FF's that do not use Active time battle were X, and the two online ones.

XIII was more ATB then X was.

The idea of Controlling your role and "commanding approximately" your team mates started with Kingdom hearts. I won't be surprised if XV end up with a similar system both for it's development by the people who made the Kingdom Hearts series, and for it's initial production as FFvsXIII.

Earendil_Strife
16th Apr 2014, 19:13
Fot me there are 3 things that define a good RPG, story, battle system and "evolution" system, which in every game is always different. I that case for me

FFVII Battle system: sucked, only good thing was limits
Evolution: sucked, that materia growing thing was ****
Story: the best story of all times in all games, simply
FFVIII Battle system still kinda sucked, just a clone of the previous
Story: sucked, bad FFVII clone
Evolution: much better, kinda complex early on but in the end you got the hang of it
FFIX Battle system: mega-sucked: it was time already the came up with something new and they just went back to VII
Evolution: so lame I dont even remember
Story: a little better, only cool character was vivi but it all had a refreshing old times ff air
FFX Battle system: good, only ATB where you could actually play with your entire party, a lot of new things
Evolution: good: a little simple with the grid stuff but yoy saw the results
Story: awesome. not FFVII and Tidus was a little lame but the rest were cool
FFXII Battle system: good, for my taste the best, you can think otherwise but thats a matter of choice.
evolution: good, not so much as VIII or X but better than all the rest
Story: Personally I liked it, the plot itself was crappy but the characters were superb (except the lead as usual) When I think on it only good leads have been Cloud, Squall-the emo clone and Cecil.

Summary I dont really think SE should go back to full ATB except for games for monkeys (Ios, Android) but neither become an ARPG, something around XII would be fine, or revolutionary as The Last Remnant perhaps. There´s something Ive asked myself recently, Western critics bash everything too¨Japanese¨ but the always praise old FF so......I just think they play 10 to 20 hours and give away early reviews.

Shadd21
19th Apr 2014, 01:59
Fot me there are 3 things that define a good RPG, story, battle system and "evolution" system, which in every game is always different. I that case for me

FFVII Battle system: sucked, only good thing was limits
Evolution: sucked, that materia growing thing was ****
Story: the best story of all times in all games, simply
FFVIII Battle system still kinda sucked, just a clone of the previous
Story: sucked, bad FFVII clone
Evolution: much better, kinda complex early on but in the end you got the hang of it
FFIX Battle system: mega-sucked: it was time already the came up with something new and they just went back to VII
Evolution: so lame I dont even remember
Story: a little better, only cool character was vivi but it all had a refreshing old times ff air
FFX Battle system: good, only ATB where you could actually play with your entire party, a lot of new things
Evolution: good: a little simple with the grid stuff but yoy saw the results
Story: awesome. not FFVII and Tidus was a little lame but the rest were cool
FFXII Battle system: good, for my taste the best, you can think otherwise but thats a matter of choice.
evolution: good, not so much as VIII or X but better than all the rest
Story: Personally I liked it, the plot itself was crappy but the characters were superb (except the lead as usual) When I think on it only good leads have been Cloud, Squall-the emo clone and Cecil.

Summary I dont really think SE should go back to full ATB except for games for monkeys (Ios, Android) but neither become an ARPG, something around XII would be fine, or revolutionary as The Last Remnant perhaps. There´s something Ive asked myself recently, Western critics bash everything too¨Japanese¨ but the always praise old FF so......I just think they play 10 to 20 hours and give away early reviews.
Are you seriously saying that that XIII's crappy battle system is better than ATB? Ignorance at it's finest.

Earendil_Strife
21st Apr 2014, 14:46
Are you seriously saying that that XIII's crappy battle system is better than ATB? Ignorance at it's finest.

Read well, I have not wasted a second in playing any XIII game, and if the trailers are true I wont with XV because its the same. The battle systema I said to be better than classic ATB was the one in XII, that could be also improved via Grandia or Xenoblade chronicles wich are also similar.

philosoraptorgames
22nd Nov 2014, 09:01
I love turn based RPG system, but clearly no market outside of Japan will accept it. Western reviewer bashes anything with menu based system. You will still get turn based battle system on smaller budget titles (most likely handheld games), but not FF, unless the western gamers' taste shift big-time. Two words; Bravely Default.

Ozzmal1
26th Jan 2015, 20:03
First of all, this is my opinion, and my opinion only. I don't claim to know what the rest of your fans want, or to speak for anyone else.

For the love of god please make another turn based Final Fantasy game. I haven't enjoyed a single FF game you've released since Final Fantasy X, Ive wasted money on XII, XIII, but I will not be throwing anymore cash towards games that are so unenjoyable that I simply cannot force myself to complete them. (This excludes 11 and 14, I haven't tried either one, though i'm a little burnt out on mmorpg's),

I loved your the first 10 Final Fantasy games. Towns to explore, fun mini-games, turn based combat, awesome secrets to uncover, plenty of sidequest (im aware that not all of the first 10 had those elements). If you make another title with those building blocks then ill be all over it, but as far as im aware your so concerned with reinventing the wheel that you've completely forgot what made your previous fans enjoy the series.

I read the wikipedia for XV and honestly it just made me sad. I wont have any part of it, I could have the game now and wouldn't even bother taking the shrinkwrap off, I know it'll just be another disappointment, but hey, at least it'll be something different, right?

Once again, im not saying anyone who enjoyed the newer titles are wrong, im not saying that no one finds them enjoyable (thats obviously not the case), just a plea from a gamer who used to be in love with your games.

FanaticFinalFantasy
18th Mar 2015, 20:48
I agree. I want turn base. But they don't want to do that give me a combat similar to Dragon Age; Inquisition. I can take real time, but when I have no control over my party its no fun. Plus, these linear gameplay is a joke. FF15 looks like its combat is worst then FF13 and just as linear. Not buying it. Again I get the change but FF went from strategy to one button control. Look at FF15 demo. No magic. My mp was used for my basic attacks. I waited so long for FF15 and not its worth $20.

Justin1025
31st Jul 2015, 00:40
I remember when I played FFX for the first time. I was fresh off FFIX and was ready to go. I boot up the game and marvel at the graphics on the title screen. I start a new game and the opening cut scene begins. I was blown away! I'm thinking, "This is awesome!" Then I begin the game. I'm thinking to myself, "Ok, this is one big, long intro before I get to the meat of this game, where I get to the world map and everything opens up to me so I can do some exploration and look for secrets, easter eggs, etc." I kept waiting for the world map to come up...I waited....and waited...and waited. I beat the first Anima encounter, was thrown back onto the linear path, and turned the game off for good. The last Final Fantasy that was a real Final Fantasy was FFIX.

Soulharvester22
4th Aug 2015, 05:19
I think SE are trying to strike gold twice, once of the reasons FFX was so pleasing to the game was the great voice acting ( Wakka was one of my Fav's and Rikku ofc ) and although FFX was at times a little linear, there was certainly loads to do before triggering the final cut scene.

Collecting the Al Bhed primers,
Solving the Chambers of the fayth.
Capturing every monster 10 times
Defeating cross bred monsters
Farming for materials to imbue tetra armor and weapons.
Defeating the monster arena (100 hours of game play right there)
Lightning Dodging ( who hasn't flipped the couch over on that one :) )
Chocobo racing
Ultimate Weapons and Armor
Treasure Hunting
Biggs and Wedge
Cid
Ultima / Omega Weapon
Dark Aeons (Pal version)
Hidden Aeons
Filling out the Sphere Grid for all 7 Characters
Mastering Blitzball / Jecht shot mark III (lol)

The list can go on and on, and on !

What a beautiful well crafted, chamber of torments we got for our €49.99, and now we're expected to suck eggs as the FF XI went online, FF XII was a no show, since the ps3 released and didn't backward compatible. FF XIII / XIII-2 looked and felt like it was designed and storybooked by the most unimaginative person on earth, with no chance of fun side quests.

Then at last I heard the news, FF XIV was coming out, I couldn't of been more excited, then I found out it was pay to play.....really....things that tough huh? and what you get is a spectacular remake of TESO or WoW, and I mean right down to the hotbars and mini map. I used 3 days of my 14 day trial trying to like it, and I just couldn't get there, it had strayed so far from it's roots it was barely recognizable as FF anything.....

Then I heard they were going to make an offline FFXV !! and my heart sang to the heavens, thank you gods of FF I knew you wouldn't forget about me, Then I heard it was FFXIII recycling...... same world.... same mechanics.... same crap I didn't like the first time around. I got so depressed I ate a whole tub of ice cream trying to not feel sad :)

It;s like having authentic pasta bolognese and then going back to noodles and ketchup... I think the fan base here would be very happy if SE stopped trying to re-invent the wheel and get back to their roots, which is great story telling combined with in depth characters, and turn based ATB combat. The visuals of recent FF titles are spectacular and breathtaking, but we never played FF titles for the visuals, Looking at what we had in FF VII, sold 10 million copies, look at 8 and 9, great stories, not great visually.
Look at FFX great in every department, a triumph of computer engineering, we want more of this sort of thing, take FFXIII and everything after it, and toss it in the garbage. When Remaking FF VII think of what your customers are asking you to make, not what you want your customers to enjoy.

All hat, and no cattle.

Lenneth25
16th Apr 2016, 10:31
I'm quite disappointed with how FF is turning into action games. FFXV combat is inspired by Kingdom Hearts. I own three of those games, they are very repetitive and brain dead combat wise. They are made easy to play for kids, which is fine for Kingdom Hearts, not FF. I also love stragety games, and I love FF, but the two seem to be divorcing and I couldn't be more depressed at where the franchise is heading. I don't mind linear games, open world games are fine as well, just keep me engaged with the story. I didn't mind the FFXIII series battle system, it wasn't my favorite and I felt it was flawed, but the strategy aspect was still there. I had hope that SE would make a turn based option in the FFVII Remake for fans of the original, but they seem to be going strictly action. Another disappointment. FFXIV was also disappointing. They had so much they could have built upon with FFXI to reinvent a better and new mmo. It all went to waste. Instead of making a game inspired by FF and the ability to be innovative, they copied other mmo games and watered down the FF feel, then overcompisated by drowning the game with fan service. The mmo's are a little off topic but the point is everything recent in FF is straying further and further away from what I appreciated FF for. Admittingly, I will buy XV and VII Remake and it will be the last chance for SE to impress me. If I don't like the combat systems I will walk away from the numbered franchise I love and have played all my life, and hope for single player games that play like FFXI, turn based, and strategy games that are console... I don't play handheld games. But I really don't ever expect that to happen. Maybe they will make DQXI turned based and release it to NA. Hopefully this isn't my early farewell letter to the franchise I love.

Christophermengy
17th Apr 2016, 16:31
because it would turn out to be just another ff13. turn-based rpgs are a thing of the past. thats where they should stay.

Talika
17th Jun 2016, 16:43
They try to make new combat systems for every main FF game, this has been the case since FF10. yea but as a fan u want this system you have learned and loved, with this incredible graphics, and not this pixled 3ds games...