PDA

View Full Version : Bug, Cheat or Egg?

Inafiscisis
2nd Feb 2003, 02:31
Ehm...hello. I'm new here...

I was just curious about a freak occurence during a mission, and if anyone has a reasonable explanation. I believe it was the 'Newcomer' by Sandra Linkletter...whoever that is...
What happened was that whilst I was setting up facilities at the pleasure deck, I right-clicked, and noticed that all facilities in the game was listed, even though I only had researched 3 or 4. So I picked one, placed it, and checked again, eager to place a Roulesse wheel or Palace Galactica...but the entire list (save those I had originally) had been cleared.

So, without taking any further notice, I kept on playing. But somehow this stuck in my head, like some annoying image you get after looking at a bright light for too long...I just can't stop wondering what caused it. I checked all cheat sites, but there is no cheat with a one-shot all buildings effect.I checked the official site for known bugs, and found none...so I thought I'd check the forums to see if anyone knew anything...

Inafiscisis
3rd Feb 2003, 23:33
Nobody? Now that just makes me sad...:(

Hand-E-Food
4th Feb 2003, 02:27
I've heard of no cheats bar mods.

StarTopia has a buggy tendancy to remember the last mission you loaded and sometimes accept settings from it. You got lucky, just plain lucky.

Inafiscisis
4th Feb 2003, 16:40
Hmm...sounds farfetched, although I've read about similar occurrencies on the forum, so I guess I'll have to buy that one.

Mucky Foot
4th Feb 2003, 23:58
It's not a cheat or an egg I know of. Probably a buglet. They happen. Especially if it's a user-mod (no offence Slinky... :-)

Melbourne, Aus? I was born there (lived in Ivanhoe). Not that I've been back for ... um ... decades now. :-(

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Hand-E-Food
5th Feb 2003, 02:09
I pass through there on the way to work. Ivanhoe still looks the same. They still have most of the original houses as well.

Inafiscisis
5th Feb 2003, 15:25
Since you're into bug(let)s (((and, apparently, for some reason, Australia...))) I might ask...I have been working with a mod for awhile, just some basic stuff. However, I got this weird occurence...as soon as the mission starts, there's a message thanking you for "successfully treating all blah blah...". It disappears if I remove the line {Missions/00/emergencies00.txt}, but that'd remove all emergencies. Is there any way of getting it straight (and Yes I have read the guide...can't make a lot of sense out of it)...

In addition, I got a problem in making messages appear...they simply refuse to show. for an example,

;*Example*
:One
if
then
set BlahBlah 1 after say "This message will show up"
disable
end

:Two
if
BlahBlah = 1
then
say "This message refuses to appear, no matter what i do to it."
disable
end

;*End Example*

I checked the guide, tweaked and fiddled, but nothing will do. It just will not show. Call me n00b, but I need help!

DMA57361
5th Feb 2003, 17:56
Um, okay - First I've not played with the files in over three months so this is from my memory. Which is quite poor. So I'm probably wrong, but still.

The emergencies00.txt probably has some variables you have to set in the auto-start if-loop. Should be done before you include the file.

Your bit of code there looks like it should work fine. BlahBlah gets set to 1 after you close the first message box and then the second one should appear.

Try the SCRIPTINFO cheat and see if it returns an error.

SCRIPTINFO cheat (in case you don't know):
Hold F11 and the left shift key down.
Type "SCRIPTINFO", no quotes.
Release F11 & Shift.

Then:
LeftShift + Tab = Cycle forward through debug info.
RightShift + Tab = Cycle backwardthrough debug info.

The first page will report any errors in syntax, variables, matching loop names, whatever!

Hope that helps.

Inafiscisis
5th Feb 2003, 19:28
Well, the text is working fine now. Working on the emergencies still. Thanks...

DMA57361
5th Feb 2003, 19:41
Okay.

In your :autorun, remember this:
set EmergencyAccept 3

I don't think it's needed now that I look back, but I seem to have added it in one of my missions.

Worth a shot.

EDIT:
Actually, it's in the mish98.txt - the one for skirmishes - so I reckon that oculd well be the solution.

Inafiscisis
5th Feb 2003, 20:30
Ok thanks. I really appreciate it.

AlphaOmega
6th Feb 2003, 01:07
'Newcomer' by Sandra Linkletter...whoever that is... *SLAP

"That" is the finest modder we ever saw. Show some respect. :)

Slink... Whever you are out there, I hope lifes good.

Hand-E-Food
6th Feb 2003, 01:59
If you're going to use any of the pre-made files, have a look at (I think it's called) \missions\00\autorun00.txt. It has the initial setings you need to use any other files in that folder. It's easiest to cut and paste these settings.

Inafiscisis
6th Feb 2003, 14:34
*slaps someone he will probably get banned for slapping*

You slapped me? In your dreams!

*slaps some more*

JSWY
6th Feb 2003, 22:00
All hail Slink! The greatest modder ever, all those who insult her shall be banished to...ummm...Alpha's house!

Inafiscisis
6th Feb 2003, 22:04
Originally posted by JSWY
All hail Slink! The greatest modder ever, all those who insult her shall be banished to...ummm...Alpha's house!

I see I have treaded upon something holy for you startopians. I deeply regret this apparently unforgivable sin; you have my humble apologies.

*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*Please don't ban me*
*I am pathetic, am I not?*

Inafiscisis
6th Feb 2003, 22:15
Ok enough of that messy stuff. Now, I have another question. I've been fiddling around with the place_portable command for half an eternity it feels. I cannot get them to place.

Here's an extract from my mish:

[...]
:Intro2
if
blah = 1
then
[...]
place_portable hard_plan_crate 5 5 sub_deck 1024 collector
place_portable hard_plan_crate 6 6 sub_deck 1024 lavotron
place_portable hard_plan_crate 6 7 sub_deck 1024 berth
place_portable hard_plan_crate 6 8 sub_deck 1024 port
place_portable hard_plan_crate 7 6 sub_deck 1024 vendor
place_portable hard_plan_crate 7 7 sub_deck 1024 sick_bay
place_portable hard_plan_crate 7 8 sub_deck 1024 love_nest
place_portable hard_plan_crate 8 6 sub_deck 1024 rough_bar
place_portable hard_plan_crate 8 7 sub_deck 1024 laboratory
place_portable hard_plan_crate 8 8 sub_deck 1024 one_star_hotel
place_portable scutter_crate 6 9 sub_deck 1024 1
place_portable scutter_crate 7 9 sub_deck 1024 1
place_portable scutter_crate 8 9 sub_deck 1024 1
show_counter CuredSoFar 0
show_counter DeathsSoFar 1
show_counter Rotations 2
set blah 2
disable
end
[...]

This should place some equipment on the engineering deck, right? well, it won't. I have tried to replace the structure names with their numbers, i have tried placing them in separate ones (cannot remember what the term is), I have tried removing 1024 (totally out of curiosity, I assure you), but they will not show. I could make no sense out of the SCRIPTINFO information of any real use. just complains about line 6, which would be one of the first place_portable lines, if not the first, I dunno. I am sure I have probably missed something extremely simple and apparently uneccesary, but vital for the function of the command. I might add that everything placed after this (set blah 2 and disable)) will not run either, unless it is moved up before it.:(

[NOTE: Hey I'm no longer a junior Member!!]

DMA57361
7th Feb 2003, 00:43
We've had issues with this command lots of times.

I'll see if I can find a previous thingy.

Expect an EDIT soon. ;)

Someone (not me, too lazy) needs to write a FAQ for this stuff....

EDIT:
It's somewhere in this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12350

Take a look, probably some useful stuff in there.

I'm too lazy to find the exact problem myself. That, and it's a 00:30 here and I'm tired.

Hand-E-Food
7th Feb 2003, 01:53
The manual is wrong. It's not place_portable but placeportable.

Inafiscisis
7th Feb 2003, 13:52
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
The manual is wrong. It's not place_portable but placeportable.

Great. Are there any more flaws in the manual I should be aware of?:mad:

Hand-E-Food
8th Feb 2003, 02:12
The icon lists are very sparse. These are all the icons available (I think). Be careful. Some icons are tied in with the game operation and using them will provide unwanted results.

The icons for Incoming are:

## Icon
00 VAL
01 Information (Peep Info)
02 Information (Peep Info)
03 Mail
04 Green Shuttle (Communication)
05 Red Skull (Death)
06 Arona
07 Stellar (Solar Flare)
08 Auction (May have magical properties?)
09 Meteors
10 Bomb (Bomb Alert)
11 Bright Bulb (Invention)
12 Floppy Disk (Multiplayer Load) (Do not use. Has magical properties.)
13 Breech Enemy (May have magical properties?)
14 Enemy Breech Alert
15 VAL (You’re a Winner) (Do not use. Has magical properties.)
16 Station (Star Quake)
17 Cancel Breech (May have magical properties?)
18 Target
19 Purple Shuttle (Merchant Docked)

The icons for Say are:

## Icon
02 Information
03 VAL
04 Trade Ship (Communication)
05 Red Skull
06 Arona
07 Stellar (Solar Flare)
08 Auction
09 Meteors