PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Final Fantasy

member_10074094
1st Aug 2012, 18:51
I did a search through the general FF forums and couldn't find this topic anywhere (surprisingly) so please don't shoot me if I missed it, but I don't think its here (and it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else).

So, what is your favorite game in the series? I guess, write your favorite numbered title and non-numbered as well

Please note THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD. We don't care what your least favorite is, or which one sucked. Try to respect people's opinions, not start a flame war. FF fans get angry when their favorite in the series gets torn down by someone who simply has different tastes.

EDIT: In the event that someone does hate on a game, the best thing you can do to prevent the flame war from spreading is not reply. They might even make a hate post with the intention of getting an angry reply (trolling). Please, just ignore it.

So I will start:

My favorite numbered title is FF9. Although the combat seems a bit buggy, it was still fun to play, changing equipped abilities to really destroy your enemy, and I liked the way you learned abilities from weapons (gave you some choice on what you taught to your characters). I also liked the classes, while I prefer having customization with this, the classes where fitting for the characters and it was better than no diversity at all. The story, while it has been told before (what story hasn't), was good, and the cast where some of my favorites (Zidane acted more like a teenage, I felt, than many anime teenagers). The art style and world where seperate from other FF games, and in a good way.

Also, loved the music. I have always loved Uematsu's work on the series, but FF9 is easily my favorite, my favorites from its soundtrack are better (to me) than my favorites from other soundtracks, and there are so many that I love that it outdoes the others in quality and quantity (again, my opinion, don't shoot me).

Non-numbered title... FFTA2. FFTA was my first FF game, and while FFTA2 has some obnoxious sound effects that made me worry at first, the gameplay was even better than the original... loved the new races and classes, and absolutely loved the game. I also enjoy Dissidia, for its gameplay, and I feel like that should be mentioned, but FFTA2 I could play for years and still not run out of new ways to build my main party to see how devastating a certain style can be.

member_10822883
1st Aug 2012, 19:31
FINAL FANTASY III. I think it is, hands down, the most impressive Famicom-era game out there, and I am consistently amazed by how well it holds up and how smooth the gameplay is. It doesn't have the deepest story, nor does it have the most in-depth job system, but I think it's a really great title. The Job System is really a lot of fun to play around with and say what you will, I think the equippable spells and Spells-by-Day MP system really shines. Difficulty-wise, it's really a great game for both beginners and seasoned players. The soundtrack is also really impressive for an 8-bit console game, as even the production is stunning. That rendition of "FINAL FANTASY" that plays when the Onion Knights approach the Wind Crystal after facing the Land Turtle is one of my favorite musical moments in the series. Themes like "Battle 2," "Castle Hein," "Forbidden Land Eureka," and "The Boundless Ocean" are no slouches either. I enjoy playing the DS version and admire how faithful it is to the original, but it will never hold a candle to the FC version. I'm still holding out for the Wonderswan Color remake to be fully realized.

LennethLionK3
1st Aug 2012, 21:19
Final Fantasy X / X-2 is my favorite in the series. Over the years I have changed my opinion more than I'd like to admit over which game was my favorite in the series. However, FFX's character development and storyline, for me, is second to none. I love the trails that each character goes thru individually and their determination to push foward thru rough, depressing times. The music was as good as all the others in the series, and the first real rock song in the series (for me) floored me in the introduction of the game. X-2 looked to cure the heartbreak of the finale of X, while introducing more history of the world and new foes to conquer. Yuna reuniting with Rikku, with the addition of Paine, have some of the funniest and most entertaining dialog unrivaled by most of the FF series. Plus the battle system was quite fun for me. YRP, GO GULLWINGS!

Ice
2nd Aug 2012, 02:53
Gotta go with the cliche choice of 7. I have a lot of nostalgia for the game and can still play it without feeling it's outdated. While it wasn't the first FF I ever played, it probably had a big hand in shaping my tastes in gameplay and setting growing up.

YoshiKatYoko
2nd Aug 2012, 09:20
Numbered: XIII/XIII-2 : Heh. Even thought all that negativity happening in the XIII universe, that won't stop me from loving it. At first XIII is crap (when I saw the walkthrough), but when I played it myself it's one of the best game to do second to XII. Now XIII-2 is released, a more improved version, I loved the story itself too. Too bad, Serah and Noel didn't fell in love (trolol). The battle and ATB system is very good, Paradigms for diverse actions, accessories for the good benefits, the crystarium for levelign up and the story itself.

XIII is definitely the best when it comes to storyline. You need to browse more of the game's intellectual output (Datalog) for you to understand the whole conflict itself. At first I was like wtf, but when I get to PLAY it I was quite interested too. What is lacking in XIII was the ability to revisit areas, sidequests, and the lack of areas and locations. But it's still a good game.

Runner UP: XII

Non-Numbered: Definitely, Dissidia Duodecim. The action packed game is a blast. No need to explain further.

Runner UP: Kingdom Hearts BBS

member_10829610
2nd Aug 2012, 10:27
Favorite Numbered Title: Probably FFVII, with FFVIII closely after.

Non-Numbered Title: Dissidia Duodecim. It's a good action game. I'd like to see a sequel.

member_10628951
2nd Aug 2012, 11:43
My favorite is.... I think VIII. But that's probably because it's the first one I played and beat. Followed extremely closely by VII and X. Final Fantasy to me has always been about the story and the epic adventure at hand and I feel VIII, VII and X do it the best.

member_10165510
2nd Aug 2012, 12:03
My favorite has got to be VIII. It was the first final fantasy game that i dedicated myself to finding every secret without a walkthrough. The story was great as well. Being young at the time, the graphics amazed me so much more then VII did. In terms of gameplay, I loved the battle sequences, (although Drawing became a little confusing after awhile) and the long, tedious journey of finding all of the pieces for Lionheart. haha good times.

My favorite non-numbered title would have to be the origional Dissidia. My friend and I were versing eachother with this game for months on end. Definately has some good memories.

Hutchensjoshua
2nd Aug 2012, 17:16
VIII (8) is my favorite Story.

XII (12) is my favorite gameplay style.

For non-numerical games, maybe 4 Heroes of Light... hard to say.

member_10628951
2nd Aug 2012, 20:37
It's cool to see so many VIII fans. I am used to a lot of people hating on it and I don't mind that's their opinion, everyone is entitled to their own. But to see so many say VIII, it's kind of baffling and cool at the same time ^_^.

aaronhollis
2nd Aug 2012, 20:42
9. it's got the fantasy world/imagery that the early NES titles had, while having the charm of 3D that the PS1 titles had. the party characters and upgrading them felt like traditional FF games. last one in numbered series to have an open world map. and zidane is a cool guy, perhaps most likeable lead in any of the FF series.

aaronwebb91
5th Aug 2012, 03:02
personally i really liked ffx out of all of them. yeah they all had their unique characters but ten must have had the most unique of them all. you had a guy dragged from the past turning out to be just a dream. a dead man on the team. a jaguar unicorn beast and the whole world yeah i cant wait till its out for ps3.

IamERROR-236672
6th Aug 2012, 12:58
6 is the best Hands down! 14 individual stories, the amount of options available to build parties with,

not to mention The end of the world happens...

AND YOUR ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH THE GAME!

wth happened between 6 and 7...

7 was ...alright, but its just gone downhill from there.

powerincarnate
31st Dec 2012, 14:53
First let me say that I'm in my 30s and started gaming on the NES, though I spent a hell of a lot more time with megaman, zelda and tecmo bowl and tecmo super bowl in those days than with final fantasy. I had to play final fantasy I-III (the first two on the GBA, and III on the DS). I also didn't play final fantasy V until about 3 or 4 years ago on the GBA.

The second thing I must say is that, production values matter. For example, I rather watch a movie with dialogue than a silent movie. I rather watch a movie with great visuals than one without (assuming everything else is equal). Sound matter, the mood set by the music matter, and that is part of what creates the atmosphere of the game. So blips on the NES, and 8 bit sprites, and lack of personal story can't create the type of atmosphere a fully realized world, possibly with voice acting, and great music can. Finally, the battle system matters. It is an rpg after all and we are gonnna be in battle a lot. Lastly, I think characters that can be envisioned in the real world matter. For example, I was more into Marvel than DC, because marvel characters tend to be more human, with more human problems, and more human situations. I'm often a critic of some of the trends Marvel has taken in the comics in the last decade, on comic oriented boards, that eroded some of the potential believability (as much as you can have in a world of super powers and magic as you can have).

1.: Final Fantasy VII: It was such a huge leap in production over 1-6 and for the first time, I was able to sort of play the life of something that could have been an anime series, or a series like a Star wars or lord of the rings. Again, it isn't that the other series didn't have that. Clearly with Final Fantasy VI, Square was itching for the power to create what they wanted to, they even produced a tech demo of sort of what 6 was suppose to be. The quasi 3D scene with the cart coming out of the train tracks convinced me. 7 had the combination of great music. great characters. "cool" characters. a great villian. A great (though I wouldn't say the best) battle system. I haven't played it in a while, but I did buy the rerelease, and after encountering a few problems, i finally got the bootleg mod to work, but then had other issues that resulted in me having to reinstall windows and the game and got the secure rom limit problem that stalled my playing. Now, I'll just wait for Bootleg 40 to be release (within days) before taking that plunge again, but in the limited time I had with it, it was a big step up and I'm excited for it.

2. Final Fantasy X: Great visuals, great characters, though I wasn't a great fan of tidus, but i did'nt hate him. But, I'm not sure if I could imagine him in any realistic world being the hero of sorts. Good Battle system, comparable to 7 for me. Voice acting, it adds to the atmosphere, but it wasn't as good as 12. I'm looking forward to the HD release. The ending was sweet, that quote about never forgetting the people that were no longer here, which refer to both the many people that died due to Sin and to Tidus, was really sweet, one of the best ever. Now, could it have had the same impact if it was simple written, the answer is NO. Hearing it matters.

3. Final Fantasy V: Best Gameplay of Any of the final fantasies. I never played final fantasy tactics (at that time, I opted for final fantasy VII, final fantasy IX, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, and Vagrant Story), but that game got me to go and get Final fantasy tactics so that I can play the job system again. That game got me to seek Final Fantasy XII international zodiac job system (though I haven't gotten time to play it). I loved Tactics, and I love Final Fantasy V. You play a game for the gamplay first and foremost, so while the story was more mediocre, but no one put that against Super Mario Brothers or any other game that was gameplay oriented over story. why is it not number 1 or 2, well it simply doesn't have the atmosphere as the other two. Gameplay wasn't light years better, so the other stuff matters. Bartz, Galuf and such just doesn't have the cool factor. Having the sprites jump up and down to show emotion is not the same thing as seeing that emotion in the person's face and hearing the tone of that emotion in the voice.

4. This is what i can't choose a winner. I like a lot of things in Final Fantasy IV better than Final fantasy VI, but I also like a lot of things of FF VI over IV. Music I gave it to 6 by a little, but I think the theme of love is better than anything 6 has, though I am a big fan of Tina/terra's theme both the piano version, the game version, the vocal version, and the orchestrated version. I wasn't a fan of Kefka, as I'm not a fan of clowns being used as some type of major villian in anything. I like Terra the main character of 6 better than Cecil of 4 for looks and stuff, but I sure digged that whole fight against yourself and your own "evil" tendencies that took Cecil from a Dark knight to a Paladin. I played both a LONNNNNNNG time ago so I may need to replay them to get to a clear cut winner. I haven't gotten to playing FFIV complete, and VI could definitely use a remake, maybe my opinions will change once square gets an opportunity to remake them.

6. Final Fantasy XII: By far the best voice acting in the series. By FAR the most believeable story in the series. it is very much political drama that we see playing out NOW, and we've read about 1, 2, 3, 4 hundred years ago. The characters except for Vaan and to some degree Penolo was the best. I know fantasy stuff loves 16-18 year olds, but that is just not what the world is. The leaders and shakers of the world isn't at that age, at the very least, they are in there 20s, often it is after the age of 30. So 12 had a lot of strong more adult characters, but was held back by those two characters. Also, what is with the effeminate stuff. Again, in what world does that constitute a hero, a leader, a warrior. Not in our goverment, not in any world goverment, not in any world military leader, or ones that does the grunt work like Seal Team 6. So this is just an infatuation that Japan has, that I simply can't identify with. Now, I don't necessarily want Marcus Phoenix, where his biceps are bigger than his head and forearms are proportionally the size of someone's thighs, because in no instances that I can think of is that type of person in a military, or president, or in any important position. FFXII's problem is that I didn't like the battle system. I'm fine with no random battles, many games have done that. I'm fine with a more action RPG type instead of turn base like Dark Clound and Kingdom hearts, but what we got was an automated system that took us away from the actual game play. I don't mind that grinding, I'm a veteran of the old systems, so that isn't the issue, its just that the gameplay just isn't as fun, though I like the story and atmosphere. The music had good parts, "Final Fantasy" "Prelude" "The Esper Battle song" and the vocal music near the end of the sound tract were good, but may parts of the soundtrack was meh.

7: Final Fantasy IX: I think it had good gameplay. I had good, but not great music. Kuja, See what I said about Vaan for Kuja. In fact, it is even more important that the main villain be something menacing, terrifying, crazily evil, or whatever. Kooja isn't just effiminate in his clothse, he even has somewhat a womans hourglass shape, like in that infamous FMV. I like the fact that the characters were different in FFIX. I prefer the separating of classes, and quite frankly the class system in general, so give me this over the blank slates. I think FFIX would be appreciated by me more now that when I played it 12 years ago, and I think it probably would surpass FFXII.

8: Final Fantasy VIII: It was a disappointment after 7 for me, and I for sure liked 9 better the year after. My problem with 8 is that I don't like blank slates, and if you have a blank slate, you better have a great "mythos" a cool factor type of story like FFVII. Also, I always hear that FFVIII had great music, but I never was into it that much. I didn't mind Squal, I actually like the whole sorceress thing, sort of reminds me of FFII. This game, like 9, would probably be moved up, if I were to replay it. I had the games long time ago, but gave all my PS1 games away (except for 9) and never got the itch to replay it back.

9: Final Fantasy XIII: Loved Lightning, Didn't like Hope. Actually liked the red head and Fang a lot. The ending was actually pretty sweet. The lack of an identifyable villain really brings this game down. The lack of great supporting cast, though some I warmed to like Fang, and even Sachz, really hurt it. The lack of exploring for SOOO long really brings it down. NOW, if the game had an engaging storyline like the Midgar portion of FFVII, then I wouldn't mind the lack of exploration, like in that game, but even in that game, you had much more freedom to move, and like I said, the storyline was engaging. I like the battle music though, definitely Top 3 (FFX, FFVII, FFXIII, followed by FFV, FFIV, and FFVI in that order). Also, I kinda like the Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, traditional Summons. What was with the whole tech/motorcycle type of summons??? If you aren't going to have them, then I got along fine with the Tactics/FFXII approach, but not this. I like the battle system though, I think it has a top III battle system.

10-12: Final Fantasy II, I, and III. I was just too impersonal, though I like the battle system better. I don't like having to do useless things just to increase my magic strength or take damage to increase HP, or osmose my own characters so that I can increase MP. Also, maybe it is the GBA version, but the games were dirt easy. So you have unidentifiable characters, unable to show emotion other than slight shifts in the sprite and bounching them up and down to show surprise or whatever, you have blips for sound. You have the monk litterally cleaning house from mid game on, he was like WAY better than the rest. You have Red Mage making the white mage quite useless. You have a whole bunch of deaths in Two, that doesn't have the weight behind it, nor the crushing emotional choices that comes with that. It quite frankly was, Hey, now go to Palamecia castle, Ok, wow I can't believe you are going to palamecia says a NPC. Then go to hell and stop the emperor. "Wow I can't beleive you are going to Hell says NPC" all while the 4 characters keep saying OK, sure, no problem. No reservation, no angst, no anxiety, no fear, no differences in opinion, NOTHING. Dark knight does an evil thing, and next thing you know, he is in the part as if NOTHING happened. so FFII got the brunt of this speech, but generally this was FFI-III. It was a game, never did I get emotionally invested, and never did I somehow think that this could pass as a movie, or an anime, or mega mini series of some sort. Combine that with very standard gameplay that grew to be incredibly easy and It is easily the worst final fantasyies.

That trailer Square Enix showed at this years E3 shows great promise for FFXV and beyond. I think they've learned a lot of lessons in the last few years so I have faith. V and VI complete with updated graphics for Vita and 3DS is inevitable and I will eat it up. VII-IX is inevitable, especially 7. This though may be a while for it to be remade. 10-XII seems inevitable with 10 HD already announced. I never got the desire to have these games in HD, as I already own them and could play them any time I want, also, they were played so recently that It isn't like FFIV-9 where it has been a hell of a long time since I played them.

P.S: I love me Xenogears, I think it was Square'sthe best work if not one of their best work (FFVII). Like an idiot, I gave it away when I let go of all my PS1 games, but like 4 years ago, I bought the greatest hits version and played it immediately and it just re-affirmed my love for it. I'll take its remake, including "the after years" type of additional gameplay that is made and incorporated into the second disc would be a dream come true.

Superanimefan44
7th Mar 2013, 18:39
what is the best final fantasy game in youre opinion? mine is final fantasy x

member_10297885
7th Mar 2013, 18:55
yes 10 is in my top 5 but i would have to say that 4 is mine

FatSqueek
7th Mar 2013, 20:37
Losy Odyssey and IX

member_10765224
7th Mar 2013, 20:38
Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy III [North America]. Best Ever!

MichaelVoid
7th Mar 2013, 20:46
Dissidia Final Fantay 012: Duodeim

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2

moooka
7th Mar 2013, 21:25
Final Fantasy 8 and 10

Donglaaicha
7th Mar 2013, 23:28
"Best" or "Favorite"?

Best overall presentation (i.e. music, art, character development, plot theme, etc...) it's a toss-up between FFVII and FFVI.

Favorite... FF Tactics, the Zodiac Brave Story (i.e. the original version/world -- no judges, or falling into a dream world). I like the intricate mixing of battle strategies, and stories of loyalty/betrayal. Probably not for everyone though. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-wink.gif

That being said, I'm still big fan of just about every "core series" Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Front Mission out so far.

member_10740799
7th Mar 2013, 23:31

Dissidia

member_10526354
8th Mar 2013, 01:12
mine is final fantasy xi, great game for the playstation ones limited grafics

Grimoire
8th Mar 2013, 01:31
[General Forum Guidelines (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139233/29068965/General_Forum_Guidelines)]

[Please use the search function placed at the top of the forum to see if your questions have already been answered. If there happens to be a thread with similar topics, please divert your questions to that particular thread.]

You may continue your discussion in the following thread: [Favorite Final Fantasy Game (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29264905/Favorite_Final_Fantasy_Game)]

Grimoire
8th Mar 2013, 01:32
[best final fantasy game? (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29800891/best_final_fantasy___game)]

derekturner81
8th Mar 2013, 02:31
Favorite Final Fantasy game... I would say Final Fantasy VIII. Great story that kept me playing through all 4 disc, great graphics for a playstation 1 game, and I loved the mini card game.

member_10012998
8th Mar 2013, 04:01
Final Fantasy Tactics was the best of the bunch! I loved that games story, gameplay and even the graphics are awesome.

SREPCfg-363537
8th Mar 2013, 09:35
I surely prefer contemporary or futuristic storytime (FF7, FFXIII, Versus XIII).

Large gameplay and full of possibilities, to make my way of the game (FFXIV or Dissidia 012).

Great Graphic design (Versus XIII or the next Agni's Philosophy).

Deep and Immersive story (FFX, FFX-2, FFVII Crisis Core)

Add to this my favourite characters (Sephiroth & Yuna) and i will buy it even if it cost 1000000000 dollars.

9th Mar 2013, 03:12
On terms of the theme and story>>> ffVIII really got me hooked. Edea really got me mesmerized. There is no other characters like her(for me).

For mini games>>> Nothing got me so entertained like ffVIII's card game. It was very detailed and entertaining unlike in the ff9 cards

for the gameplay>>> for some strange reason i had 250 hours gameplay with ffXII. I really liked hunting and the gambit system. EXCEPT for really less to none individuality of characters in terms of battle(I'd go for tactics for that).

On terms of the best final battle>>> I'd go for Kefka in ffVI(right?). There is art and meaning to it.

For the best ending cutscene>>> FFVIII. period. Even the credits has this funny video scene.

Zomb1esmasher14
9th Mar 2013, 15:57
My favorite Final Fantasy game would have to be XIII because it was the first Final Fantasy game i ever played.

Crystal_Power
9th Mar 2013, 20:17
My favorite Final Fantasy's are FF VII and FF VIII! I can't choose one over the other.

moooka
10th Mar 2013, 03:28
Overall, I would say 8.

Squall-Nathan
14th Mar 2013, 21:11
Story wise I love Final Fantasy X. As for gameplay I would say FFVI, the input for Sabin was fun.

cautioncones
14th Mar 2013, 21:20
Final Fantasy Tactics

member_10146811
14th Mar 2013, 23:30

Final Fantasy VI... my favorite story, world, everything... just wish I could see it in modern graphics. Even if it were a movie instead of a game... I'd be all over that! lol

CBBMAN1999
22nd Mar 2013, 14:57
FF XII or FF IV

destruction7
22nd Mar 2013, 16:16
FF XII or FF IV

In this case Final tatics advance.(GBA)

Sweenix
23rd Mar 2013, 09:31
ix easily

venethol.hernandezzuniga
27th Mar 2013, 19:22
History, game play (materia sistem FTW) characters, and bosses.....FFVII

FFVI its my second choise, for the history, characters and the ability sistem.

FFT game play, history and characters

Other SE game with FF characters, Kingdom hearts I and II

Spyang00
11th Apr 2013, 01:56
thats kinda hard to choose. i'd say III,VII,IX & XII

Senju83-510120
12th Apr 2013, 13:51
FF Crisis Core was one of the best for me..

SoulEaterQUEEN
15th Apr 2013, 12:57
The best would have to say FFX, my favourite is a tie between FFX, FFIX, and FFVIII for various reasons.

magnustheli
23rd Apr 2013, 13:33
FF VI and FF XII

Tsuko85
27th Apr 2013, 14:25
Final Fantasy V, i bought a copy of the Greatest Hits version of FF Anthology from Square Enix's online store a few days ago, the pages are hidden so you have to specifically search what you are looking for with google, like
square enix store final fantasy anthology

Tsuko85
27th Apr 2013, 14:31
Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Anthology and Final Fantasy Chronicles are the only PS1 games Square Enix's online store still have listed, each is 12$ not including shipping

dadelotus
27th Apr 2013, 23:45
FF VI is THE best game in the serise. I played it when it originaly came out as FF 3 and again when it was in anthology, and then when in became available on the psn network to download i bought it even though i own the ps 1 disc, and am playing it currently instead of finishing 3 PS3 ga,es i should be playing. IF ever they where going to remake any of the older games (ps 1 games or older anything PS2 and up are just o new) this one should be done jsut to give the new generation of gamers who's not going to sit there and read it a chance to play this EPIC game.

I am a fan of all the FF games. I have played and beat them all i still own FF 1 for NES. i Loved 13, and 13-2 nots bad but i really hope 13-3 actually completes the store, and i hope to sometime soon get my hands on Versus 13. 12 is my least favorit game. its the only one i'll not play again. Tactics is amazing, 7 is good, 5 was ok, but 8 and 6 are my favs 6 being the best.

Tsuko85
28th Apr 2013, 09:40
Final Fantasy V is the best because of it's use with the Job system, being able to have a second ability like the main skill from another job made experimenting really fun

T-Zero
17th May 2013, 19:07
FF VII, hands down. Loved everything about the game. Loved the follow up games (Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core) as well.

Then, FF IV. First final fantasy game for me, and I love it as much today as when I first got it.

FF VI finally. Great game, ambiance. Loved (almost) all the loads of characters, even though I only really used 7 of them in my regular party build.

alanman178
18th May 2013, 13:13
FF7 is the best on 'my' list. It's the only FF game that lived up to the hype. IMO I just had 'zero' complaints about that game back then. I never really 'complained' about the other games, but there were a few things in some of the other titles that I thought could've been implemented better. I always judge the games according to how great they were at the times of their release. For example: I think FF7(NA) was better in 1997 than FF13(NA) was in 2010. Personally, I don't think the FF series is where it should be in this day and age.

ElysianEchoes
28th May 2013, 02:52
Final Fantasy VI is among my favorite, but Final Fantasy Legend II on gameboy is the only Final Fantasy game I've played through multiple times. I found its story quite charming, and the way abilites developed without "levels" was refreshing to me. Human, Mutant, Robot, Monster -- they were all fun to use! And it was fun to play with different combinations. I no longer have the game, or a gameboy, but this nostalgia is making me want to get them again xD

I played Legend III also, but didn't like it half as much. I've never been able to play the first Legend . . .

alanman178
28th May 2013, 18:47
Final Fantasy VI is among my favorite, but Final Fantasy Legend II on gameboy is the only Final Fantasy game I've played through multiple times. I found its story quite charming, and the way abilites developed without "levels" was refreshing to me. Human, Mutant, Robot, Monster -- they were all fun to use! And it was fun to play with different combinations. I no longer have the game, or a gameboy, but this nostalgia is making me want to get them again xD

I played Legend III also, but didn't like it half as much. I've never been able to play the first Legend . . .

A long time ago, I bought the "Super Gameboy" for the SNES. It allows you to play Gameboy games on the SNES. If you manage to get a hold of the 'Legend' games again, try that setup. I always enjoyed the Gameboy games more on the SNES. Just a thought I wanted to share. :)

ElysianEchoes
28th May 2013, 22:25
A long time ago, I bought the "Super Gameboy" for the SNES. It allows you to play Gameboy games on the SNES. If you manage to get a hold of the 'Legend' games again, try that setup. I always enjoyed the Gameboy games more on the SNES. Just a thought I wanted to share. :)

I remember that thing!! I never owned one myself. Not a bad idea. I'd have to get one of those retro gaming machines, too, though, since I don't have an SNES anymore either.

I wonder if the nostalgia is worth the money xD

Tachimeh
28th May 2013, 22:48
Everyone is gonna shun me for this, but i really did love Final Fantasy XIII. Not saying it was the best (because it wasn't), but I did love it.

*Prepares for the hate I'm gonna get*

rb3128
30th May 2013, 12:36
Everyone is gonna shun me for this, but i really did love Final Fantasy XIII. Not saying it was the best (because it wasn't), but I did love it.

I'm probably the only other person who will say this, but I actually kind of liked it as well. It's certainly not my favorite and I did wish it wasn't so linear, but overall I got some enjoyment out of it.

My favorite would probably have to be either IV, VII, or VIII. I love those three and it's way to difficult to decide which one among them I like the best.

Fubar4585
30th May 2013, 12:44
Top 5 for me:

1. FF IV

2. FF Tactics

3. FF X

4. FF IX

5. FF VIII

html_removed
html_removed

DS89
30th May 2013, 14:38
Top 5 for me would probably be FF IV, V, VI, VII, and IX, in any order really (haven't played tactics yet, so it might be up there too once I do). Though, if I had to choose, I'd probably say FF V.

Not the best overall in story or music in the franchise, but it was simply the most fun to play for me. I really enjoyed its more comical/ laid back approach to storytelling that contrasts with the more drama-heavy fantasies. I also liked its cheesy and really quirky characters. Exdeath and Gilgamesh remind me so much of Megatron and Starscream from transformers.

member_10687105
31st May 2013, 02:54

I'm probably the only other person who will say this, but I actually kind of liked it as well. It's certainly not my favorite and I did wish it wasn't so linear, but overall I got some enjoyment out of it.

My favorite would probably have to be either IV, VII, or VIII. I love those three and it's way to difficult to decide which one among them I like the best.

I'll go further, and say that FFXIII is one of my top three Final Fantasy games, tied with FFVI and FFX in my personal tier listing.

Tachimeh
31st May 2013, 11:59

I'll go further, and say that FFXIII is one of my top three Final Fantasy games, tied with FFVI and FFX in my personal tier listing.

There are people that understand meee. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

selodaoc
24th Jun 2013, 16:55
History, game play (materia sistem FTW) characters, and bosses.....FFVII

FFVI its my second choise, for the history, characters and the ability sistem.

FFT game play, history and characters

Other SE game with FF characters, Kingdom hearts I and II

Could have typed it myself

Problem with this topic is some are to young and have only played X->

Apotheosis
26th Jun 2013, 23:23
FF tactics

FF7

FF1 to 5

Classics are the best

Atma-Weapon
26th Jun 2013, 23:38
I guess I'm a hipster when it comes to the Final Fantasy series, favoring VI - X. My personal favorite being FFIX with FFVII being a close second. I definitely enjoyed the others, but from I - V, I found the story telling to be quite shallow compared to its successors. I thought FFXII was just a total grind fest with little character development and story telling to be had; it basically felt like WoW in single player mode. I thought FFXIII was an improvement over XII, but the extreme linearity of it really killed a lot of the magic for me .

member_10403753
27th Jun 2013, 07:53
No question VII is top dog. Not only an incredible game, but made it cool to play FF. Geek to jock everyone knows this game. Runner up VI or X.

member_10724650
9th Jul 2013, 05:49
Did not find a thread of people ranking their ff games, so decided to make one....

Here is mine

Top is fav and go down

ff10
ff7/ff6
ff13
ff8/ff9

ff1-5 play all, but never beat any of them, but they was okay to me.

Worst ff to me of all time is ff12.. I cringe when I play it in the past, one of my worst games of all time.

Now for special mention, this is not a true ff game, but Crisis Core was truly a brillant story and I even knew how it would end.

Yet I cried for hrs at the end, it was just so sad to me.

P.S. sorry for my bad english still learning.

Can't wait to see everyone else favs ff games...

member_10090130
9th Jul 2013, 13:55
Tier 1: IV VI IX XI XIV

Tier 2: I V VII X XII

Tier 3: III VIII

Yet to play: II XIII

wi5paa
27th Dec 2013, 22:23
FF 7 ,8 ,9, 10.
These were the best of the old ff games with added 3d characters, good character personalities and developments, great unfolding stories and graphics.

Sadly the franchise has gone downhill since changing to mmo ff11 - current.

FrenchDog
6th Apr 2014, 11:23
So, I just replayed through the FFX HD remake and it was a lot of fun. I've decided to play one of the older ones but I am torn between FF7 and FF9, I haven't fully completed FF9 but I have completed FF7. So if anyone could recommend which game is better for:

story (something to really keep me entertained)
characters (focused more on personality and backstory than looks)
difficulty (the harder the better)
side quests (lots please)

So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to which of the two games better fits the criteria I would really appreciate it :)

moooka
6th Apr 2014, 17:43
I like the story of 9 more but the characters of 7 are better. In general, I prefer 9 over 7.

Puppetshow
15th Apr 2014, 19:35
Play 9 if you haven't finished it.

Of all the categories you mentioned, 7 just about wins over 9 (story, characters and side games)
But not in the last category, difficulty.
Even allowing for the trend that SE make FF games easy so the difficulty doesn't get in the way of a good story, 7 is very easy even by the standards of other Final Fantasies.

Earendil_Strife
17th Apr 2014, 18:29
concurring with puppetshow. I cant understand how can moooka even consider FF9 be over 7 in story. 9 is the not worst of all classic only for 8.

Shadd21
18th Apr 2014, 00:34
In terms of story and characters both games are on par but in terms of difficulty 9 wins hands down.

ChrisB1985
1st Aug 2014, 08:28
Over the years final fantasy has been the most played and exciting game to come across our surface which was your your favourite and why

FantasyDreamKey
4th Aug 2014, 11:58
I don't think I post on this thread so I going to post my opinion.

I love all the main Final Fantasy games I played and some of the spin offs, but my favourite game is Final Fantasy 7. It is the first Final Fantasy game I played and it was the game that got me into the Final Fantasy series. The story is great with interesting plot twist, the characters are awesome and unique, the music is amazing and the gameplay is fun.

I like the Kingdom Hearts series and Dissidia. Seeing crossover with my favourite characters were awesome...and the music are great.

mkes01
27th Sep 2014, 10:20
If I had to name my top three, It would be like this:

FF VII
The story with the planet in agony moved my heart. I cannot describe it better. It's not because of the death of one char, it was simple that feeling I had, after hearing the cries of the planet. After that, it was personal. :D

FF XII - with Zodiac Job system.
Because it was political theme, with both sides not totally bad or good. Or right and wrong. Not the usual boy helps girl story. And I liked the combat system much, with a different approach on battles, but the same time, the usual battle feeling remained.

FFX
The story of Tidus. The character development of the others, falling on hard and depressing times. The combat system, first time without ATB, but with more tactical approach. The people in the world on the brink of dying.

And for the unnumbered: "Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2" -- Because the hero does not want to go home all the time, and is exited with exploring the world. And I love these tactic games.

mkes01
27th Sep 2014, 10:38
Xenogears is in my eyes the best and story wise complex RPG I ever seen from SE. It has a story, that you have to play twice, to understand it completly. A remake of it, with modern grafic, or even a simple release on PC would be very, very nice. The only bad thing in my eyes is, that the end lacks, because they had to rush it to the market.

Grimoire
4th Dec 2014, 17:09
10,000 Fans Chime in On Their Favorite PlayStation Games (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-12-04/10000-fans-chime-in-on-their-favorite-playstation-games/.81686) (Anime News Network)
- To celebrate the 20th anniversary of PlayStation, over 10,000 Japanese video game fans were asked to chime in on some of their all-time favorite games.

A Month-Long Race To See Who Can Finish 21 Final Fantasy Games First (http://kotaku.com/a-month-long-race-to-see-who-can-finish-21-final-fantas-1666145779?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow) (Kotaku)
- For the entire month of December, two gamers are going head to head in a live race to beat the entire single-player Final Fantasy catalog, plus some extras, like X-2 and Lightning Returns.

HeartOfLion
5th Dec 2014, 14:51
1. XII Zodiac version because of (in no particular order) voice acting, free roaming battles, political drama, Fran, music and does not have the usual metaphysical mumbo jumbo, just to name a few.
2. XII without Zodiac for the same reasons.
3. VIII because of gunblades, Triple Triad, Laguna, The man with the machine gun (best battle BGM ever), a guardian force/summon with a level crossing attack, Uematsu at his best aaaand Quistis.

LateKnighter
24th Mar 2015, 12:26
FINAL FANTASY 12 HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, through final fantasy type O is growing on me, at a strong second.

Robby1601
30th Mar 2015, 00:41
My Favorite Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 6, whats yours? go ahead and tell me! :)

WinterSoldierLTE
30th Mar 2015, 01:56
12. It was my first FF and I just fell in love with it after the opening scene. Excellent story and near flawless all around except for Ash. That woman drove me nuts with her constant gasping. I was convinced there for awhile that was all she could do. Fran made up for it tho.

HeartOfLion
30th Mar 2015, 12:23
On a personal level, I found Fran's voice very sexy.
But if you have the chance, hear the original Fran's voice, it is even sexier.
Not even Lulu's voice had this effect on me...

Akutare
30th Mar 2015, 22:37
Definitely XII, just a lot of things felt fresh and well done, not to mention there was a ton of stuff to do and a lot of customization.

DennyNoctis
12th Apr 2015, 23:41
My Favourite FF is FFVII
But now FFXV
it's so amazing game, with high graphic and new gameplay than other's Final Fantasy series
i'm waiting for this story of FFXV
and i look this picture and then i think its good as cover original soundtrack later ahehehe :nut: http://i.imgur.com/mZL1mWf.png

Alael55
10th Jun 2015, 16:57
XIII the entire series
TYPE 0
X / X-2

I found those title to have a great story , interesting character and beautiful soundtrack,

square_art
13th Jul 2015, 18:54
They all cool, it's hard to pick the one!
I'll do my top 7! :)
7) FF8
6) FF7
5) FF13 (all of them)
4) FF10
3) FF12
2) FFT
1) FF9

FF15 might change the list after release!