PDA

View Full Version : Game, not Thief, but I beg your indulgence

bravus
26th Jan 2003, 09:01
This is the place where I know the game-knowledgable taffers hang out, so I hope you won't mind...

I'm trying to get Bioforge, a great old DOS game, to run on a Windows 98 box. I've now got a 'dosstart.bat' file that sets up DOS mouse drivers and CD drivers, so that's two hurdles out of the way. The problem I'm having is that the setup program only allows IRQs 7, 5, 3, and 2 as choices for the sound card, but the sound card in this machine is on IRQ 10. It (i.e. Settings, Control Panel, System) won't let me change the IRQ for the sound card either...

I manually edited the file where the setup options are stored to set it to IRQ 10, but it still stops loading with errors related to the sound card.

I guess the other thing I can try is moving the sound card to a different PCI slot - and maybe check the motherboard manual for which one has IRQ 7 (or are they somehow dynamically assigned)?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

See ya,

D

theBlackman
26th Jan 2003, 09:12
Try changing the IRQ in BIOS for the game. If you are using a DOS BOOT DISC then you can reset the BIOS for the game, then Reset it back when you restart/reboot for your normal windows ops.

bravus
26th Jan 2003, 09:30
Cool, thanx, I'll try that in the morning and see how it goes. Bedtime now (after 2 am).

See ya,

Bravus

bravus
26th Jan 2003, 19:17
D'oh, forgot to mention, because I forgot (even went so far as to look inside the case to find which slot it was in) that I'm not using a soundcard on this machine, but onboard audio on the motherboard. So while BIOS has options for assigning particular IRQs to particular PCI slots, it doesn't seem to have an option for changing the IRQ of the on-board sound.

I'm checking out the motherboard manual and on-line resources now, but the simplest solution may be to pick up a cheap sound card and put it on if I want to play Bioforge...

Bravus

theBlackman
26th Jan 2003, 19:33
Originally posted by bravus
D'oh, forgot to mention, because I forgot (even went so far as to look inside the case to find which slot it was in) that I'm not using a soundcard on this machine,... but onboard audio on the motherboard.... So while BIOS has options for assigning particular IRQs to particular PCI slots, it doesn't seem to have an option for changing the IRQ of the on-board sound.

Bravus

That do explain a LOT of what the problem is. :D :D

I, of course, have Nevar made such an egregious error <small> I wish</small> :D

Vanguard
26th Jan 2003, 19:34
Would help if you identified your sound card.

I thought the Soundblaster provided a DOS-mode SB16 emulator driver that, if enabled, would become part of the .vxd loaded for the DOS shell (to provide DOS-mode support of devices in the DOS shell). I remember this because I called them to find out what this SB16 emulator device was and why I needed it. Since nothing I ran required exiting to a DOS shell (either because all games were Windows games or could run in a DOS shell within Windows 98), I was told I could go into Device Manager and disable it. It was using up an IRQ (probably 5). So if you have the Soundblaster, check if there is a SB16 emulator driver and if you can configure the IRQ for that. I think there are some environment variables that get defined by SET commands in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file that determine what IRQ it uses.

bravus
26th Jan 2003, 19:50
OK, yeah, should have named the sound... um, onboard wossname. The motherboard is an Asus A7S333, and the sound 'card' is a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX, if that's any good to anyone...

Definitely thinking seriously about picking up a 'real' sound card at this point...

Bravus

Edit: Ack, at this point I give up, at least until I have the time and money to pick up a sound card. Guess I'll just be forced to go re-play Thief 2!