PDA

View Full Version : FF7 1.02 to current patch?

darkkap
3rd Mar 2013, 18:10
Greetings SE,

I'm a long time owner of FF7 for the PC who had to let his copy sit in a box for years as my windows 98 system perished and was replaced. I'm now finding you have re-released the game. Does a patch exist for those of us who have legally owned the game all this time? I still have all of my origional discs. Or are you making us repurchase that which we already own?

I'd love to get back into this game.

Kaplah

SE-Chris
4th Mar 2013, 11:51
Unfortunately, you would have to have a system that meets the specifications for that version of the game. There may be some of our fan's sites which can get that legacy disc to run on a modern system but we don't have much for you other than to copy the contents of the disc to your hard drive and use the "compatibility mode" options to run it in Windows 98 mode. The nice thing is that this new re-release offers some new features and options, controller settings, cloud saves, achievements, disc swapping, windowed mode, and a number of minor graphical upgrades and tweaks.

darkkap
4th Mar 2013, 14:06
Chris,

So what you're saying is "Thank you for legally buying the game 10+ years ago, please give us more money to fix issues we should have fixed at the release of Windows XP for free."

I'm not going to pirate a copy. I'll just wait for Steam/PSN/GOG or the like to offer a sale on FF7 and pick it up then. I'm sorry I don't believe your employer deserves more money from people who already legally purchased this game. I can't say I blame anyone who decides to download a cracked copy though.

Please pass this message to your marketing department. They are not encouraging consumer loyalty with this type of behavior. I feel somewhat burned by it.

Sincerely,

Kaplah.

DarkTiamatZERO
4th Mar 2013, 16:53
Cracked copy? Pirating?

Where is that comming from? He never suggested pirating the game. Jeez if you do some simple 20 minute research on the internet, even you'd see that you can run the 1998 version on Windows 7 64-bit operating systems with a couple of mods to fix compatibility issues. I know. I've done it.

The new version sucks anyway. Take it from me: It's a cash-cow rerelease incorporating the exact same compatibility mods that you can download off the internet for free. The new patches 1.05 and 1.06 add literally nothing to the game other than a couple of spelling corrections, stupid easy-mode achievements nobody cares about, and widescreen support that makes the game look even more ugly than it should. I'm not kidding when I say that you not only DON'T NEED them, but you seriously DON'T WANT them.

Most people would think that upscaling the game to high resolutions and adding a smoothing filter would make all the textures look nice, right? It doesn't. For one thing: the 2D painted backgrounds are all still rendered at the low resolution of 320x460 and upscaling them causes stretching, making it look very blurred and pixilated even at 640x480. For another, the 3D smoothing works well on character models, but not on special effect and number textures. So the entire game starts looking bad when half of it stands out as smooth and the other half appears jagged or faded.

If you really want to play Final Fantasy VII (one of my FAVORITE videogames of all time) the way it was meant to be played, then get yourself a PS3, an HDTV or CRT, a PSN store copy of the game, and a dual-shock 3 controller. Sit down and enjoy the story. No distracting cloud saves or annoying achievements. Just a good old-fashioned videogame.

darkkap
4th Mar 2013, 18:17
Alex,

You may want to read other threads in this forum. Chris did not suggest pirating, others in the forum have stated this though. Yes I am aware of the hacks and independant patches you can use to get the game running, but truthfully many of these are not that functional. I'm not looking for an upscale system, easy mode, etc. What I want is a simple version of FF7 on my pc that just works. Unfortunately SE seems to think by throwing in patches they should have done years ago and including fluff that they deserve to be paid again. If people don't speak up you'll just see more of this type of crap.

Honestly I will probably get the PSN version, but not until the next sale. I refuse to pay SE for what should have been a free official patch. Their competition gets this (Half Life, NWN, and even Shogo were all patched up to run on Win7 64 free of charge). SE needs to know that cheap crap like this is not appreciated by their customers. IF they were to re-create the game using new character visuals and models, HD graphics, CD audio etc that would be worth it. Implementing patches that were done by others, then slapping DRM on top of it is not something to be rewarded.

Kaplah

axium1998
9th Jun 2013, 14:39
hey, just get FFVII REMIX link here (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8915.0). and btw I can run FFVII perfectly on my windows 7 64-bit comp. not a single patch. but any way, REMIX does help a LOT with rendering and FPS, just remember to edit the config properly.

xeveniah
10th Jun 2013, 00:50
Greetings SE,

I'm a long time owner of FF7 for the PC who had to let his copy sit in a box for years as my windows 98 system perished and was replaced. I'm now finding you have re-released the game. Does a patch exist for those of us who have legally owned the game all this time? I still have all of my origional discs. Or are you making us repurchase that which we already own?

I'd love to get back into this game.

Kaplah

AAron you may wish to run in compatibilty mode of Windows xpsp1or sp2 or just win xp... and run as Administrator too...

remember back the 99% of all consumers pcs were x86/32 bit based cpus and thus your edition was spefically designed for a 32 bit system due to most pcs after 2004 are x64 or 64 bit systems today cannot offer full 32 bit compatibilty try using a virtual pc to play it a good virtual pc is virtualbox.. pardon the link moderators virtualbox.org (http://virtualbox.org) its free but you need a copy of windows to install on the virtual machiene

xeveniah