PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: mission impossible sometimes?

The Godfather
19th Jan 2003, 20:33
In every Tomb Raider-game there are moments when one gets stuck. The enemy is too fast or strong, the traps are too difficult to overcome or you simply don't know what direction to go next. We've all had these moments and they'll never go away ... unless one gives up on Tomb Raider, but who'd wanna do that, huh?

My (least) fav. difficult moment of the entire Tomb Raider-saga is in Tomb Raider I. When Lara Croft is in the level "Palace Midas" and enters one of the secret rooms which each hides a golden key, she sees that, in one of those rooms, she's gotta make a series of very difficult jumps over five or six pillars standing tall in the water. The problem is that each of them has got fire on top of them. By coming closer you trigger that fire off for ... let's say ... about ten seconds maybe and then it starts flickering again. If you're still on the pillars ... you burn.

I've always found it very difficult to pass those without getting burnt. I succeeded once or twice, I think ... without getting my dearest girl's clothes on fire. Has anyone ever felt it so hard to get past these or am I just taking the wrong way? Any tips maybe and most importantly:

what other difficult moments or levels did YOU experience?

Splodge
19th Jan 2003, 22:24
Hi The Godfather

I've a dim and distant memory of the bit of TR1 to which you're referring. I haven't got a magic wand answer to this one. As far as I can remember, I just had to practice the jumps until I got a smooth routine which would get me across the 6 pillars.

Some of the jumps are long, some are standing jumps. You have to memorise what to do for each pillar, and practice. It's boring, but that's what I did.

It was a similar story for me in TR2 in the Maria Doria. There's a 'timed run' where you have to pull two levers in different rooms of the upturned ship to turn off some burners. Then you have to run and jump over corridor obstacles to get over the top of the burners before they light again.

It was hell - and I couldn't imagine how anyone could possibly do it. I was miserably stuck there for weeks - with the all the associated depression from not being able to get a daily fix of TR!

Suddenly after a lot of practice, it came right, and I got past the burners with a millisecond to spare. Subsequently, when I've played TR2 again, and I've come to that part of the game, I'm amazed that I ever had so much trouble. I now seem to be able to get past the burners with several seconds to spare. I feel as if I could go back and do the run again in the time I had left over!

So, keep at it - and it'll seem incredible that you ever had difficulty with it.

Anyone else suffer from the I just can't be done blues?

LARAMANIAC
19th Jan 2003, 23:07
Gaaaaaaaaaawd Godfather I so remember being stuck there!!! WOW Happy memories!!
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/angel09.gif

Aquarius
19th Jan 2003, 23:46
I really can't remember any parts of all of the games that gave me excessive trouble. All the games had their hard parts, but I can't remember any one in particular that I had a lot of trouble with. Temple of Xian maybe? I dunno..... :p

TheBoo
20th Jan 2003, 01:42
The hardest thing I ever did?

Working up the nerve to go into the dark house of the Yeti in the Catacombs of the Talion, TRII. Listening to them scream and beat their chests and wondering where they were and when they would come after me. Seemed like it took forever to make up my mind!:eek: