PDA

View Full Version : Thief not running in full screen

Nightwalker
19th Jan 2003, 02:48
Hi, there. I've been helping a lady in Ireland get Darkloader set up to run TDP FMs and we finally managed that, but she says that it is not running in full screen, so I presume it's running in a smaller window. I don't have her system specs, but I'm sure I can get them, if it's necessary. I believe she is using Windows 98, though. She also says that she's only getting the "left" word when doing the sound test. Any suggestions for her to help fix these, keeping in mind that she knows ABSOLUTELY nothing about computers. It took me almost 2 weeks to walk her through how to make folders, downloading stuff, setting up Darkloader, etc., so it has to be VERY simple. :)

edit: I asked her for her system specs. Here they are:

Pentium II 400 MMX
Ati Rage Pro Turbo agp 2x.
32MB
32bit Memory
CrystalPnP audio
814.16MB Free disk space: 77% free.

Caradavin1
19th Jan 2003, 21:01
I have TD:P, and a Pentium II, Windows ME, and Crystal WDM codec audio. I had the same problem. (Except for the smaller window thing, but I had the audio left problem, also when I went to the mission - the game would crash - also Thievery wouldn't work). I reinstalled ALL my drivers from my application recovery disc, and then downloaded all updates for each driver. Everything works fine now. (oh, and I also got directx9.0)

Hope that helps

Stile451
19th Jan 2003, 22:45
Does she have an LCD monitor(or something similar), if so then she will have to set the game's resolution to match the monitor's resolution to get the game in full screen.

If not, then a re-installation of drivers should probably fix the problem with screen size.

Not sure what would cause the problem with the sound only from one side, unless she has set the balance in Volume Control to only one side.

LeatherMan
19th Jan 2003, 23:01
Definitely update the video and sound drivers* (if possible) as well as reinstalling DirectX**. Then do a clean install of Thief again: Run Darkloader and reset to Thief 1, uninstall Thief, delete Thief folder (make sure Darkloader and FMs are not in the Thief Folder!), reinstall Thief.

*Find and follow explicit instructions for installing new video drivers. If it is not followed verbatim they may not work properly.

** Thief DP and Gold only required DirectX 6. DirectX 9 was just released in December and may still have bugs, so it is not recommended to upgrade to DX 9 until it is absolutely necessary. DX 7 or 8.1 should work fine, though.

One more thing: Make sure Thief DP is patched. ;)

Nightwalker
20th Jan 2003, 01:01
Thanks guys! I knew you'd come through with some good advice for her. I'll pass the suggestions on and see if she can do it. I know her copy of Thief is patched, as I told her how to install it, so that's not the problem. I hope it's the drivers, because that's easy to fix and apparently it's doing the same thing with all her games. :)

Vanguard
20th Jan 2003, 02:56
There's another possibility for a "small screen" for Thief (or any other application that switches resolution): the user has not configured the monitor to size it for each resolution that it supports.

When you say she has a small screen for Thief, does that mean the viewable screen area is smaller than the full real estate of phosphors for the monitor's screen? Or can she still see portions of the Windows desktop around the smaller Thief screen? If she hasn't gone through every resolution that the monitor and video card support together, it is possible the game is set to a different resolution for the game than the desktop.

If she cannot see any of the Windows desktop around the smaller Thief screen then it is likely Thief is actually displaying to the full size of the screen - but not for the monitor - because it is running at a different resolution for which she never adjusted the monitor. She needs to go to the Settings tab in the Display applet in Control Panel and adjust the resolution to each supported mode (and it's also best to pick a refresh rate that is supported across all resolutions, or pick Optimal is available). After selecting 640x480 and adjusting the monitor's horizontal and vertical sizes to give max screen size without going off the monitor, then go to 800x600 and resize again, and continue until all resolutions have been sized on the monitor. Note that some driver/software also allows to resize the screen (which is remembered across resolution) but if you change drivers or video cards then the sizing is lost. Adjust the monitor's sizing controls first. Then if you cannot get the viewable screen wide or tall enough then use the software controls.

It's also good when changing screen size, whether when using the monitor's controls or the video card's software, to adjust the size a few settings higher and lower than the ideal width or height. This is to ensure that you are not near a resync point for the monitor and don't end up with a black screen, shearing, or lack of sync because your settings are just too close to where the monitor would make a switch in how it handles a screen width or height.

Nightwalker
20th Jan 2003, 14:52
Thanks, Vanguard. I'm not sure what she sees, she just told me that her games (all of them apparently, not just Thief) are running in something that doesn't take up the whole screen. I'll pass this on to her to see if it helps.

Nightwalker
21st Jan 2003, 05:00
Thank you for your kind help, everyone. My friend is now happily playing The Saint of Redmound in full screen. :)

Vanguard
21st Jan 2003, 06:52
So what was her solution?

theBlackman
21st Jan 2003, 07:52
Glad to hear it. Same question as Vanguard. :D

Caradavin1
22nd Jan 2003, 04:40
I third that.

Nightwalker
22nd Jan 2003, 23:36
LOL! I never thought to check back here, until Vanguard sent me a PM. Sorry. Here's what she told me when I asked her what she did:

If you find that your game is the wrong size on your monitor simply use the monitor buttons i.e horizontal/vertical etc., to resize it. ~This will not effect the settings on your desktop when you close the game and the settings will be saved for the next time you play.
I discovered this completely by accident when i missread a suggestion on
-24Hoursupport.Helpdesk
:)

Caradavin1
23rd Jan 2003, 04:49
Sometimes, the simplest things cause the most headaches, don't they? Did that fix the sound as well???

Nightwalker
23rd Jan 2003, 13:31
The sound got fixed but she has no idea how. Suddenly, it was just working! Anyway, she's been wanting to play FMs for several years now so she's happily downloading and playing Thief until she can't see straight! LOL!