PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Restart in Mission 4

Davidg
11th Jan 2003, 01:25
I recently upgraded to Windows XP. I have re-installed Startopia, also. During mission four, my computer restarts. I have the patch, and the video card upgrade.

Specs:

Windows XP Home Edition
Intel Pentium III 1.13 mb
512 mb RAM
40x/6x/48x CD-RW
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
C:/ 40 gb drive
D:/ 40 gb drive
E:/ 80 gb drive (program on this drive)
Creative AudioPCI Sound Card

Don't know if you need anything else, if you do ask.

kool_kats_rule
11th Jan 2003, 11:55
I have win xp as well, but i haven't found a problem wth it. Perhaps it's because you've upgraded.

Davidg
12th Jan 2003, 06:39
Actually, I installed Win XP in a new directory, Win 98 is still there. I got the full version, because I heard the install could cause problems.

Hand-E-Food
13th Jan 2003, 01:58
Bad! Bad! Bad!

Unless there's a really good reason, you should never install an OS on top of another, or have two running. At least install them onto seperate partitions or drives.

P.S. That's just my opinion.

The only problems I've had with StarTopia on WinXP is some user missions which crash on all systems.

Also, is the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro specifically supported by the video card patch?

DMA57361
13th Jan 2003, 15:11
You can install OS's onto of other ones. You just get dead files from the old one that do nothing lieing about. I mean this OS I have now is Win ME, it's upgraded from Win 98, which is installed on a corrupt version on Win ME, which was upgraded from Win 98. I'm just too lazy to reformat until I have to.

EDIT:
Doh! Forgot to make my point:
Is the Win98 backuped up? Windows seems to allow you to add a sort of "uninstall" or "de-upgrade" if you want to revert to an OS you are upgrading from. Is that what you meant Davidg?

Davidg
13th Jan 2003, 22:37
No, the Windows 98 on my drive is a dormant prorgram. It is simply there. I installed Windows XP to a new directory on my C:/ drive. I kept my Win 98 to keep my extensive favorite list, and because I had a new install instead of an upgrade CD.

Mucky Foot
13th Jan 2003, 22:43
is the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro specifically supported by the video card patch?

No, I don't think so. The reason being that we haven't got any in at Muckyfoot yet. However, I know the 9000 is somewhere between the 8500 and the 9700 in capabilities, and both those cards do just fine on StarTopia's auto-sense setting (which it uses if it doesn't know the exact type of card). You shouldn't have any problems from the graphics card.

Windows seems to allow you to add a sort of "uninstall"
Never use this. T'is madness I tell you - MADNESS! Uninstalling OSes is just asking for trouble.

TomF - Muckyfoot bloke.

Davidg
14th Jan 2003, 00:13
I have discovered the problem! The drives are overheating. Since my computer only restarts when I use programs on my E:/ drive, and since it is the newest drive. I'll add another fan and see if it helps.

AlphaOmega
25th Jan 2003, 21:24
Sounds like you fixed it, but my two cents for any future problems,

Cent One: I have the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, and she works just shiney with StarTopia. (Very shiney actually)

Cent Two: Sometimes WXP can crash programs not specifically designed with it. Setting the startopia exe to run in windows 98 or 2000 compatibility mode has helped some people.

Hand-E-Food
28th Jan 2003, 02:57
You mean Compatability mode actually works?